• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Andrew.

Banned
How does NG+ work in this game? What carries over? Does the game get harder?

All of your upgrades and skills carry over from your previous game(s). The game doesn't get harder. The game gets awesomer.

I mean obviously the game will be harder if you jump from normal new game plus to grounded new game plus, but you know what I mean.

Andrew.

Banned
Can you move up a difficulty? I'm on Normal and would like to do a Survivor NG+ next.

Yup just start a ng+ on normal, get to chap 2 and then quit out of the game, go to chapter select, select prologue and then whatever difficulty you want and it it should work.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All of your upgrades and skills carry over from your previous game(s). The game doesn't get harder. The game gets awesomer.

I mean obviously the game will be harder if you jump from normal new game plus to grounded new game plus, but you know what I mean.
I wonder how that guy that was going from Easy to Grounded is doing.

Hubb

I went from Normal(collectibles run) to Grounded. Granted I did play Survivor and plated the PS3 version.

I'm still pretty early off, but I'm sure this'll be the first game to make me rage in awhile.

Superflat

That's how I played Remastered, lol.

Went straight to Easy to refresh myself on game mechanics and liberally use the photo mode, and then went to Grounded immediately after for the deathly intense gameplay I love about TLOU.

As someone who was always clumsy aiming with sticks, Grounded and Survivor mode served as an intense training exercise in getting me to play better, especially during infected hoard encounters. I even played notably better in MP after my Grounded session.

I've gotta say, I'm now a true believer in the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Obviously I always believed the difference was real but I never realized how big the difference really is. I played on 30fps for about and hour and then switched and it feels like a different game to me.

This game is beautiful.

Andrew.

Banned
I've gotta say, I'm now a true believer

mola_ram.jpg

This happened to me back on PS3. It turned out I was missing the meat ledger. Go through all your artifacts in the 'bonus' menu. You can see everything you have by name. Use that to determine what you are missing.

So I went through the list and I have them all. Chapter select says im missing on in chapter 9.
Edit: So after loading up a save that put me after you first meet
David
I went through
ellies
bag there and it finally popped up.

psychotron

Just finished Left Behind for the first time. Was that one of the best single player dlc releases ever or was it just me?

Just started it. I loved TLOU on PS3, beating it on survivor and collecting almost every single player trophy. I had sold my copy before Left Behind came out and was hoping a remaster like this would come. Firing this DLC up for the first time, I was giddy like little kid right from the opening cutscene.

Andrew.

Banned
Oh man I totally forgot about Lost and Damned. Hell fucking yes. That would be the only reason I would buy GTAIV again. For the fifth time.

Oh man I totally forgot about Lost and Damned. Hell fucking yes. That would be the only reason if buy GTAIV again.

I hope GTA V's DLC holds up to the same standard. I can't wait to double dip on that one later this year!

As for TLOU, the remaster has just reaffirmed to me that this is the best told story in gaming. Obviously that is my opinion but I have never played a game where I actually got attached to the characters like this. Also, their ability to instill humanity into their characters is amazing. I can completely empathize with Joel and his actions throughout the game.

I believe the only reason that Ellie
is never as jaded as Joel is because of her age. I believe that with another 30-40 years in this wasteland she would be as jaded as Joel.

Andrew.

Banned
I totally agree. The colors and environment art is so drab in addition to the phoned in acting from Ashley Johnson which is reminiscent of Harrison Ford roles from the past 15 years.

KevinG

Totally just finished the Hotel Basement this evening. Freaked out just as much this time as I did when I played through last year. This compelled me to mess with ShareFactory for the first time, and laugh at how obviously freaked out I was by my erratic playstyle and walking circles around the basement despite knowing where everything is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Slightly OT but MGS looks terrible after coming straight for TLOU.
Ground Zeroes? That game shows its last gen roots more than most. Great performance but geometry is sparse, everything is low poly, and FXAA smears everything.

God, fuck the upside down section on Grounded.
Fuck everything on Grounded. Every time you die you can basically hear Druckmann and Straley's maniacal laughter while they scream, "have fun fuckos!" It's how they become more powerful.

leng jai

Ground Zeroes? That game shows its last gen roots more than most. Great performance but geometry is sparse, everything is low poly, and FXAA smears everything.

Yeah, GZ. I mean the game is fun but it just feels wrong playing a Metal Gear that isn't a graphical powerhouse.

nib95

Banned
This game. Constant feels.
When you try to abandon Ellie and she chokes up talking about everyone else abandoning her but you, and then later when you get badly injured. What an absolutely amazing segment. You truly feel his agony, desperation and loss of consciousness, and then straight after that the breathtaking Winter segment.
Hit after hit. Game just keeps on giving.

Andrew.

Banned
This game. Constant feels.
When you try to abandon Ellie and she chokes up talking about everyone else abandoning her but you, and then later when you get badly injured. What an absolutely amazing segment. You truly feel his agony, desperation and loss of consciousness, and then straight after that the breathtaking Winter segment.
Hit after hit. Game just keeps on giving.

I wish I could be you as a first timer. Know exactly what you mean.

DirtyLarry

I just do not have the luxury to play games twice. In all reality have not really been able to do so for well over 5 years, if not even longer. Time is just a commodity I no longer have. I hardly even beat a game these days to be truthful. I usually play a game if and when I can, and then another game comes out that I want to play more and I move on. A game has to be damn good for me to dedicate the 3-4 weeks it usually takes me to beat it. I have actually only beat 3 games this year. Infamous: Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Shovel Knight. For most serious gamers that is a solid week of gaming. For me that has been my year so far. Being almost 40 years old does that to you.

With that said, I am playing TLoU for a 2nd time thanks to this remaster and I will be damned if I am not enjoying it just as much as the first time around. If not more so. The 60 FPS really just makes it that much more of a polished experience.

My first home console was the Pong console, shortly followed by an Atari 2600, and I have owned most consoles since then. I also have gamed on a Commodore 64 and then many years later a custom built Windows Gaming PC's respectively. When I say I have played close to if not over a 1000 games over the years, I actually really do mean it.

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.

nib95

Banned
I wish I could be you as a first timer. Know exactly what you mean.

It's my third play through lol. Just haven't played it again since the week it released on the PS3, and yet it's still immensely impactful playing again now none the less.

I think me using high quality headphones this time has really improved my experience with the game.

farmerboy

Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying playing again on ps4. Survivor run here, and I've had to relearn a little, that's for sure.

Bricks are your friend and for fucks sake, don't engage the enemy every chance you get. Which makes sense cos in real life why would I take on 5 cops in riot gear. After the 3rd headshot death I was like, maybe I should go round.

Also, game looks fantastic and sounds phenomenal. A few glitches here and there, but my word, if this is ND's first stab at ps4 then bring on the future.

Can't wait to revisit this world again somewhere down the track.

Andrew.

Banned
I just do not have the luxury to play games twice. In all reality have not really been able to do so for well over 5 years, if not even longer. Time is just a commodity I no longer have. I hardly even beat a game these days to be truthful. I usually play a game if and when I can, and then another game comes out that I want to play more and I move on. A game has to be damn good for me to dedicate the 3-4 weeks it usually takes me to beat it. I have actually only beat 3 games this year. Infamous: Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Shovel Knight. For most serious gamers that is a solid week of gaming. For me that has been my year so far. Being almost 40 years old does that to you.

With that said, I am playing TLoU for a 2nd time thanks to this remaster and I will be damned if I am not enjoying it just as much as the first time around. If not more so. The 60 FPS really just makes it that much more of a polished experience.

My first home console was the Pong console, shortly followed by an Atari 2600, and I have owned most consoles since then. I also have gamed on a Commodore 64 and then many years later a custom built Windows Gaming PC's respectively. When I say I have played close to if not over a 1000 games over the years, I actually really do mean it.

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.

Quoting for excellence in truthfulness

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's my third play through lol. Just haven't played it again since the week it released on the PS3, and yet it's still immensely impactful in my current play through none the less.
Even on my sixth play through several parts still hit me just as hard as the first time. Exceptional acting, writing, and direction.

I have no idea why you think it would be a glitch. As soon as you switch the difficulty it's registered by the game, very simple concept. I'm pretty sure every other game does it like this also.

Maybe I'm not explaining it properly or something but no other game has ever done it from what I know. I've never had a game restart the whole chapter after switching to easy (which is right), get something, switch back to Hard (grounded) and started at the "checkpoint" where I left off when I was on Grounded with the supplies from Easy.

Shouldn't it just restart the chapter again with what you left off at? Why would it start me at the checkpoint (generator) when I never even got to that point on Easy? I just ran upstairs and noticed what I did wrong.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe I'm not explaining it properly or something but no other game has ever done it from what I know. I've never had a game restart the whole chapter after switching to easy (which is right), get something, switch back to Hard (grounded) and started at the "checkpoint" where I left off when I was on Grounded with the supplies from Easy.

Shouldn't it just restart the chapter again with what you left off at? Why would it start me at the checkpoint (generator) when I never even got to that point on Easy? I just ran upstairs and noticed what I did wrong.

Ideally it should, it does work weird. It also leaves a massive exploit in the game since even just toggling difficulty without selecting it spawns all the items in the game world.

So well put! I am there with you too. Being 37 I too have played more games than I can honestly remember and this game stands right at the top for storytelling and emotional impact.

The only other games I have beaten this year are infamous second son and watch dogs. Infamous second son being the only game I have ever gotten the platinum for since Sony released trophies.

I have already tore through a play through on hard and am on my way to bill's now on grounded+. Even now sitting here watching breaking bad with my wife I wish I was playing TLOU even more. Gotta give her a break though.

Can anyone provide me a link to comparson shots between ps3 and ps4 version? I cant find good ones but I really dont notice any difference. I wish tlou had just been developed for ps4 from ground up as launch title

^^^

Im 27, and Im already feeling what you guys are talking about. Being married does that to you. Imagine when I have a baby. I dont know, maybe I'll play more then, but now with someone to accompany me.

Top Bottom