• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Ridley327

Just got done with this today. I was a first time player of the game period, and I was left with a fairly positive feeling about it. I'm not over the moon about it like some, but it's a good change of pace for Naughty Dog, and odd rendering glitches aside, it's certainly a very good remaster in terms of performance and IQ.

Story-related stuff:
I felt like that Winter and Spring felt rushed, at least in terms of trying to move stuff along. I don't think it helps that they felt a bit samey in terms of gameplay design (quiet intro, followed by an infected bit, then a short "playable" section that felt more like a glorified cutscene, and finally, fun with hunters), so it sticks out. I wish there was a bit more time spent in those, perhaps cutting down on the stuff in Summer, since that overstayed its welcome after you got done with Nolan North's Tricky Trap Town. Fall felt like the strongest part of the game to me, even though I think it's time for Naughty Dog to stop using the "slow walk through a peaceful area that you will soon go back through in reverse while in combat" trope, although to their credit, it's really, really short compared to other games.

Cudder

Grounded ain't no thing. Just got to Fall. Sure I had to repeat a few sections over and over, but my strategy is to get through it quickly by running through sections rather than having to stealth around.

Andrew.

Banned
Druckmann has to be a Deadwood fan.

I could see him telling W Earl Brown, "I want you to be Dority....in the post pandemic apocalypse."

^^^

Im 27, and Im already feeling what you guys are talking about. Being married does that to you. Imagine when I have a baby. I dont know, maybe I'll play more then, but now with someone to accompany me.

I have a 6 year old daughter who loves Nintendo stuff. We play together sometimes but unfortunately it can be really aggravating. Mostly because she's never interested in getting collectibles and stuff and tends to wander around without a purpose.

That said it is still awesome to be able to share my joy in gaming with her even if it has to be in small doses.

In fact, I miss the days of wandering aimlessly through a game (and life). Oh to be a kid again!

nikos

Just double dipped even though I couldn't get into the game on PS3. Giving it another chance and hoping I like it this time. I've been avoiding spoilers for over a year, so I figured I might as well try again.

I just do not have the luxury to play games twice. In all reality have not really been able to do so for well over 5 years, if not even longer. Time is just a commodity I no longer have. I hardly even beat a game these days to be truthful. I usually play a game if and when I can, and then another game comes out that I want to play more and I move on. A game has to be damn good for me to dedicate the 3-4 weeks it usually takes me to beat it. I have actually only beat 3 games this year. Infamous: Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Shovel Knight. For most serious gamers that is a solid week of gaming. For me that has been my year so far. Being almost 40 years old does that to you.

With that said, I am playing TLoU for a 2nd time thanks to this remaster and I will be damned if I am not enjoying it just as much as the first time around. If not more so. The 60 FPS really just makes it that much more of a polished experience.

My first home console was the Pong console, shortly followed by an Atari 2600, and I have owned most consoles since then. I also have gamed on a Commodore 64 and then many years later a custom built Windows Gaming PC's respectively. When I say I have played close to if not over a 1000 games over the years, I actually really do mean it.

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.
Heh, good stuff. Wait until 45 hits, lol. I might be one of the oldest GAFers around. I still love gaming, but I don't have time for the console war bullshit. I can really appreciate how far gaming has come, and TLoU is like the "Citizen Kane" of its genre. Yeah, I went there, lol!

t hicks

Banned
Finished up my playthrough of the Campaign and Left Behind today (my 4th time playing through the Campaign and my 2nd time playing the DLC). I played through it on Hard without the listen mode. This is absolutely one of my favorite games of all time, and I had a blast playing through it again on the PS4.

I haven't really messed around with the multiplayer that much, but I'm having a great time playing it! This'll definitely hold me over till Destiny drops.

Today i played the ps3 version again and it confirmed to me what i already thought while playing the remaster: The colours/gamma are worse.

The ps3 version has better looking colours, in the ps4 version everything looks more desaturated. And i don`t mean the typical output differences between ps3 and ps4. Its specifically only this game. I checked infamous, Black Flag and TR again and all looked right and have good looking colours/gamma, but TLoU is somewhat off.

Whoever at ND was responsible for the picture composition of this game did not a good job.

And by the way: Infamous is significally sharper than TLoU. TLoU looks slightly soft compared to that game.

Mentok

Banned
Just completed my grounded run. Oddly enough, after
Ellie and David fight off the infected
, the game became a cakewalk. I didn't die once after that section. Because I stealth played most of the game, I had a stockpile of weapons for
the hospital
which made for a fun time.
Such a great sp experience. Once I play the dlc, I'll jump into mp!

Fucking heart attack. Church -> high school in one shot

Evidently I wasn't stealthing properly. Clickers are fairly easy to navigate using a super slow crouch walk

Mentok

Banned
Fucking heart attack. Church -> high school in one shot

Evidently I wasn't stealthing properly. Clickers are fairly easy to navigate using a super slow crouch walk

Yeah, the best technique (at least for me) was to crouch and then aim with a weapon. You'll walk super slow. I used this technique in almost every infected situation to avoid a firefight.

plainr_

It's my third play through lol. Just haven't played it again since the week it released on the PS3, and yet it's still immensely impactful playing again now none the less.

I think me using high quality headphones this time has really improved my experience with the game.

Headphones made a night and day difference for me. The creepiness went up ten fold compared to playing the game with TV speakers. If anybody watched my stream on Twitch you would know how much times I jumped out of my seat. lol

Totally just finished the Hotel Basement this evening. Freaked out just as much this time as I did when I played through last year. This compelled me to mess with ShareFactory for the first time, and laugh at how obviously freaked out I was by my erratic playstyle and walking circles around the basement despite knowing where everything is.

That section is ALWAYS the section I anticipate the most. When I begin a new playthrough, its looming presence gets more and more real until I'm finally down there. I breathe a sigh of relief every time I leave.

Yeah, the best technique (at least for me) was to crouch and then aim with a weapon. You'll walk super slow. I used this technique in almost every infected situation to avoid a firefight.

Damn, that's pretty smart. Removes the threat of accidentally tilting the left stick too much which happens occasionally.

While the basement is pretty spooky, the
bottom floor of the dorm
is pretty close. Plus I actually come across the Bloater there

Mentok

Banned
Damn, that's pretty smart. Removes the threat of accidentally tilting the left stick too much which happens occasionally.

While the basement is pretty spooky, the
bottom floor of the dorm
is pretty close. Plus I actually come across the Bloater there

I figured it out in my first playthrough by accident.
I was in the sewer with Sam and all those clickers. I was aiming and walking when I realized they haven't spotted me. Using this method with my flashlight off, I stealthed right by all of them. I only had to arrow the last clicker in the head.
After that, I always used that method (I would always accidentally tilt too far otherwise).

Damn, the game is brutal in higher difficulties, especially how scarce the weapons and supplies get...but the feeling of satisfaction that submerges me after completing each section is well worth every sigh of frustration I had released up to that point.
I was almost afraid to say the words, as I could not bring myself to believe them...but this might be the best game I have ever played...and I tried hundreds of them, including the high profile ones. This and Journey were the reason last gen did not suck, in my view.

leng jai

I'm actually surprised at how many supplies and upgrades you come across survivor. I'm pretty much breezing through this run without a sweat. Probably helps that I've finished the game 4 times on PS3 already.

Left Behind is really drawn out and self indulgent. These two girls are not that interesting.

42BJ

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Survivor was easy for me til I hit the
sewers. Stopped finding/getting any ammo and had to do the final standoff with 1 bullet of just about every gun.Luckily I had a smoke bomb to stun enemies and win time.

I then used a smoke bomb again
to get to the sniper
. Pretty useful tool that I always ignored on lower difficulties.

oh god, that fight in the
streets after the hotel is glitched too, ND really, really need to fix chapter 5

... and 6. I'll post a screen when I get home. I keep running into new glitches.

Marvel

could never
I just got through the
Sewers
myself on Grounded, was tough. Just about to boot up my ps4 and start the Sniper confrontation. Where I left off last night.

JustDrive

Just run through on hard with a collectables guide I got all the trophies for artifacts and whatnot however despite following the guide to the letter the 37 Conversations one didnt pop, Now im pretty sure i did them all is there any way of knowing if Ive missed one or if one hasnt registered?

xion4360

Just run through on hard with a collectables guide I got all the trophies for artifacts and whatnot however despite following the guide to the letter the 37 Conversations one didnt pop, Now im pretty sure i did them all is there any way of knowing if Ive missed one or if one hasnt registered?

Check your stats and see how many conversations you have. It wont tell you which one you missed but at least you'll know how many.. there are a couple sneaky ones. I suggest you watch a video collection of them that way you can identify ones you may have missed, then replay that section.

terrible

Banned
Did it earlier, there's a trick to it. I didn't have to fight one single person, I snuck by most and then sprinted to the snipers room.
Did you stick to the left side for that? That area was a pain until I realized you could go left right at the start. No clue how I missed those stairs.

KevinG

That section is ALWAYS the section I anticipate the most. When I begin a new playthrough, its looming presence gets more and more real until I'm finally down there. I breathe a sigh of relief every time I leave.

I was fumbling around with the controller like it was my first time playing a game. I think the anticipation of the basement made the entire first third of the game more tense, especially because I can only play in such small windows of time.

Conserving ammo, despite having everything full, is just to help me when, and if, I attempt Grounded later. That's assuming I beat this before Destiny.

Played Left Behind for the first time, It's decent but nowhere near as good as the main game. It had a much more lighthearted tone compared to the sad and depressing main story. Also i felt the scene with ellie and riley was a bit forced.

Jjust watched the movie The Road last night too and now im gonna replay the main game :) 2 great experiences back to back.

You are me. Yeah I kind of thought the whole Ellie/Riley thing was forced, also. I loved in the main game how they did it with Bill. But their story was, ehhhh.

Anyone else had this bug that the game reloads by itself without any input from yourself? Happened to me 3 times yesterday. I was like... wtf?! o_O

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is anybody playing the multiplayer? I played it once when it came out and now it doesn't find any matches.

Curufinwe

The "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with Zombies" parts of Left Behind really dragged for me. The gameplay and story parts that were set in
Winter
were really good, though. I played on Hard after playing the main game on Normal, and I had just enough supplies to get thru it with plenty of tension and not too many deaths/restarts.

Top Bottom