• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Ted

I just got through the
Sewers
myself on Grounded, was tough. Just about to boot up my ps4 and start the Sniper confrontation. Where I left off last night.

The part with the sniper is pretty OK. I did this using one bullet, one molotov and one smoke bomb (and got in return, one molotov and three 9mm rounds) but I think if you had more patience you could do it full stealth.

From the start point where you are knelt behind a vehicle with Ellie
, Henry and Sam, go left up the steps and crouch. Crouch walk through the front garden of this house keeping the tree between you and the snipers nest. Go left and down the stairs and enter the house using the windows in front of you (if you use the door you risk triggering the second group of enemies as well). Quickly rush to and duck behind the kitchen island counter as a hunter will come rushing down the stairs (on the same wall as the window you entered through) to get you.

If he spots you lose him (inexplicably!) by crouch walking round the table until he forgets where you are and grab him from behind. As he is in alert mode you will probably get the non-stealth animation but don't worry.

Hide behind the counter again and if you don't hear hunters after waiting for 20 seconds or so you are good.

Now, exit the building through the kitchen door slowly (there is nothing in the house worth scavenging so don't bother). There is a screen door shielding your view down the grassy slope along the left of the houses but you should be able to get the next group of hunters (~5) just by hanging around at the top of these steps moving the camera around to try and get a view towards the next building down. If not just go down the steps and get in line with the screen door until they spawn (you should be able to see AND hear them immediately) but be ready to get back in the house as soon as you do as they will fire immediately on sight.

Hide behind the counter again. The group will head towards the kitchen door but initially only one will enter, chuck a molotov just outside the door on the steps as this guy enters the kitchen and you should burn two or three of them to death right there and then. The one inside, and one or two of his buddies. If you only get one, restart, if you get two or more then just creep around using the hide behind stuff technique until you have got rid of the last two.

Once these fellas are dealt with, exit the house out of the kitchen door and head down the grassy slope so the buildings are on your right. The next after the house you've been in has been partially demolished. Ignore it. The second house you come to has also been partially destroyed but we need to go inside here. Crouch to approach and then hop up onto the ground floor just to the right of the fallen HVAC unit (or something) and there is a table just in front of you to the left. On survivor there is a rag here. Get it. Don't worry about sniper, he can't hit you here if I remember correctly.

Next go towards the stairs and crouch walk past them. There's an oh so conveniently placed piece of angled cover here and the a fallen table just in front. Use these as cover to place yourself behind this table. Reach to the left for another supply (can't remember what) but don't stick your head up here or you will be shot!

Whilst you are here the sniper will hopefully notice you. He'll say "get 'im boys" or "he's in the burnt out house" or something like that if you have successfully triggered the next wave of hunters.

They won't come into the house though so don't worry too much about this wave. Instead just back up from the table until you are out of view from the sniper (the angle means the wall and first floor will block his view of you) but can still see the cover the ground enemies are using and the entrance to the alleyway between the house the sniper is in and another.

Wait until the sniper takes a shot (you may need to tempt him) then sling a smoke bomb between the house you are in and the alley (basically at the mouth of the alley) and leg it from your hiding place down the alley (slalom it as there is convenient waist high cover littering this alley). Once you are in the back gardens, get in through the correct door (you're in the wrong place if you go into a room with no exit from the outside door) into the snipers house and either follow the stairs straight to the sniper on the third floor or stop on the second floor and wait for the second wave to catch up and take them out by hand one by one as they wander around the second floor looking for you.

Kill sniper by pressing a button fast. Watch cut scene and take control of the sniper rifle. Kill all the hunters that suddenly appear and take out tank-thing dude when he sticks his ugly head out. Take out the couple of waves of infected that hear the noise of the tank-thing crash and you're good.

Cuss Joel for his idiocy when he neatly leans sniper rifle against the wall and buggers off without it! Done.

This section leaves an interesting opening for an offshoot game that isn't The Last of Us 2 (or whatever) but does plug into the world of TLOU.

One of the collectibles mentions how the hunters in Pittsburgh thought "I'd like to see someone take us on now" referencing the now wrecked tank-thing.

Using this premise we can now assume that control of Pittsburgh is less certain for this particular group of hunters. I'd like to watch the group fall apart from within a game story line and I'd equally enjoy playing a post Apocalyptic city re-building sim set in this world with an emphasis on power struggles and the costs and compromises of controlling without mercy vs controlling through patronage (I know this is a little left field!).

Give me Machiavellian scheming or give me death.

The part with the sniper is pretty OK. I did this using one bullet, one molotov and one smoke bomb (and got in return, one molotov and three 9mm rounds) but I think if you had more patience you could do it full stealth.

From the start point where you are knelt behind a vehicle with Ellie
, Henry and Sam, go left up the steps and crouch. Crouch walk through the front garden of this house keeping the tree between you and the snipers nest. Go left and down the stairs and enter the house using the windows in front of you (if you use the door you risk triggering the second group of enemies as well). Quickly rush to and duck behind the kitchen island counter as a hunter will come rushing down the stairs (on the same wall as the window you entered through) to get you.

If he spots you lose him (inexplicably!) by crouch walking round the table until he forgets where you are and grab him from behind. As he is in alert mode you will probably get the non-stealth animation but don't worry.

Hide behind the counter again and if you don't hear hunters after waiting for 20 seconds or so you are good.

Now, exit the building through the kitchen door slowly (there is nothing in the house worth scavenging so don't bother). There is a screen door shielding your view down the grassy slope along the left of the houses but you should be able to get the next group of hunters (~5) just by hanging around at the top of these steps moving the camera around to try and get a view towards the next building down. If not just go down the steps and get in line with the screen door until they spawn (you should be able to see AND hear them immediately) but be ready to get back in the house as soon as you do as they will fire immediately on sight.

Hide behind the counter again. The group will head towards the kitchen door but initially only one will enter, chuck a molotov just outside the door on the steps as this guy enters the kitchen and you should burn two or three of them to death right there and then. The one inside, and one or two of his buddies. If you only get one, restart, if you get two or more then just creep around using the hide behind stuff technique until you have got rid of the last two.

Once these fellas are dealt with, exit the house out of the kitchen door and head down the grassy slope so the buildings are on your right. The next after the house you've been in has been partially demolished. Ignore it. The second house you come to has also been partially destroyed but we need to go inside here. Crouch to approach and then hop up onto the ground floor just to the right of the fallen HVAC unit (or something) and there is a table just in front of you to the left. On survivor there is a rag here. Get it. Don't worry about sniper, he can't hit you here if I remember correctly.

Next go towards the stairs and crouch walk past them. There's an oh so conveniently placed piece of angled cover here and the a fallen table just in front. Use these as cover to place yourself behind this table. Reach to the left for another supply (can't remember what) but don't stick your head up here or you will be shot!

Whilst you are here the sniper will hopefully notice you. He'll say "get 'im boys" or "he's in the burnt out house" or something like that if you have successfully triggered the next wave of hunters.

They won't come into the house though so don't worry too much about this wave. Instead just back up from the table until you are out of view from the sniper (the angle means the wall and first floor will block his view of you) but can still see the cover the ground enemies are using and the entrance to the alleyway between the house the sniper is in and another.

Wait until the sniper takes a shot (you may need to tempt him) then sling a smoke bomb between the house you are in and the alley (basically at the mouth of the alley) and leg it from your hiding place down the alley (slalom it as there is convenient waist high cover littering this alley). Once you are in the back gardens, get in through the correct door (you're in the wrong place if you go into a room with no exit from the outside door) into the snipers house and either follow the stairs straight to the sniper on the third floor or stop on the second floor and wait for the second wave to catch up and take them out by hand one by one as they wander around the second floor looking for you.

Kill sniper by pressing a button fast. Watch cut scene and take control of the sniper rifle. Kill all the hunters that suddenly appear and take out tank-thing dude when he sticks his ugly head out. Take out the couple of waves of infected that hear the noise of the tank-thing crash and you're good.

Cuss Joel for his idiocy when he neatly leans sniper rifle against the wall and buggers off without it! Done.

This section leaves an interesting opening for an offshoot game that isn't The Last of Us 2 (or whatever) but does plug into the world of TLOU.

One of the collectibles mentions how the hunters in Pittsburgh thought "I'd like to see someone take us on now" referencing the now wrecked tank-thing.

Using this premise we can now assume that control of Pittsburgh is less certain for this particular group of hunters. I'd like to watch the group fall apart from within a game story line and I'd equally enjoy playing a post Apocalyptic city re-building sim set in this world with an emphasis on power struggles and the costs and compromises of controlling without mercy vs controlling through patronage (I know this is a little left field!).

Give me Machiavellian scheming or give me death.

I haven't gotten to this part yet, but if you fail the the last section (
using the sniper rifle
) do you have to start from all the way back to where you started with your walkthrough? I ask this because they cut some checkpoints out.

Liamario

Banned
So, I've imported the Canadian version of the game, so I can subject my simple easily manipulated mind to all that multi-player violence.
Here's the thing though. In terms of DLC, do I need to download from Canadian or US store?

BadHand

So, I've imported the Canadian version of the game, so I can subject my simple easily manipulated mind to all that multi-player violence.
Here's the thing though. In terms of DLC, do I need to download from Canadian or US store?

I don't believe it matters as us and Canadian versions are the same.

Test with .99c item perhaps first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thoroughly enjoying the PS4 port, more than I did the PS3 build, where the murky texture filtering detracted from the presentation of some earlier chapters, and the choppy framerate really hindered my desire to use any kind of ranged weapon (bricks aside). The port just looks so clean and crisp that the art is able to come alive in a way the original build could not, and the ~60fps adds significantly to the sense of control and motion interacting with the game world. I think the benefit is due to Naughty Dog's insistence to have weighty, realistic animation driven character movement that, in my opinion, feels a bit sluggish and laggy when running at 30fps. 60fps balances that weighted control with very responsive feedback.

The presentation as a whole reminds me a lot of PC ports, in that a lot of the rendering technology isn't exactly cutting edge for the hardware it's running on, but the game is full of super high resolution textures and a very clean, sharp image quality. Like when you take a ~720p 360/PS3 game and boot it up on PC to find the basic rendering effects are all mostly the same, but you can crank the texture resolution and filtering, and overall resolution and the game still looks ten times better. This is like that. It still very much PlayStation 3 engine/hardware technology, but it's cranked up for PlayStation 4 hardware and the end result is beautiful even if it's not a total technological overhaul.

antitrop

Just reached Fall.

... And it took me 14 hours just to reach here.
Good. I think if you finish your first playthrough in less than 20 hours, you're missing out on a significant amount of side content.

I did 17 on PS3 last year, but I'm still finding tons of new stuff on my 2nd play on PS4.

The presentation as a whole reminds me a lot of PC ports, in that a lot of the rendering technology isn't exactly cutting edge for the hardware it's running on, but the game is full of super high resolution textures and a very clean, sharp image quality. Like when you take a ~720p 360/PS3 game and boot it up on PC to find the basic rendering effects are all mostly the same, but you can crank the texture resolution and filtering, and overall resolution and the game still looks ten times better. This is like that. It still very much PlayStation 3 engine/hardware technology, but it's cranked up for PlayStation 4 hardware and the end result is beautiful even if it's not a total technological overhaul.

I thought the exact same thing. When playing the PS4 version I kept thinking "If there was a PC version released last year alongside the PS3 version, this is what it would look like on my TV". 1080p/60 is pretty much all I expect from PC ports anyways

The "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants with Zombies" parts of Left Behind really dragged for me. The gameplay and story parts that were set in
Winter
were really good, though. I played on Hard after playing the main game on Normal, and I had just enough supplies to get thru it with plenty of tension and not too many deaths/restarts.

Nahhhh, the parts you hated were the best parts of the DLC. So creative and a great use of interactive storytelling. Also, the art design was at its best there, with an insane amount of detail.
That Halloween store!

I agree that the
Winter
parts were great, though. There were some incredibly intense encounters, and a cool gameplay tweak. But ultimately those parts didn't differ all that greatly from the main game, whereas the other sections really stood out and offered a totally different experience.

Majmun

My copy arrived yesterday. But I'm holding off until my Pulse Gold headset arrives.

Finished the Ps3 version three times already. But in stereo. Can't wait to play it for the fourth time, but now in surround sound. I'm guessing it will be a new experience.

Hoodbury

Beat the game and Left Behind, all for the first time. So glad I can finally read all the spoilers in this thread, lol.

Great game but way more intense than I'm use to playing and I even just played on Normal. I'm not a stealth game type or a scary game type of person but wanted to experience this game due to all the high reviews, awards, and hype. I really just wanted to see the story as I went in pretty blind. I didn't even know this was a
zombie
type of game.

Not sure I could play it on higher difficulties for a second run through as I just don't have the patience for stealthing past enemies and not killing them. I'm that guy who has to kill everyone I can. So resource scarcity wouldn't bode well for me, heh.

So now I just don't know what to do until Destiny comes out. Do I go through again and do a new game + on either normal again or easy. Start a new game on hard or survivor just to see what it is like. Just do chapter select of my current saved game to get all the collectable stuff. Buy Battlefield 4 premium which is on sale right now on the PS store and just play multiplayer there til Destiny comes out. Or take a break from gaming until Destiny since my son was just born?

So many choices, what to do, what to do.

TRios Zen

Just finished "Left Behind" on Hard, and I think had I played these staggered as they were released I would have enjoyed it more. Playing back to back with the original SP campaign, and I felt like I was rushing through it just to complete the story. My own fault, not the games.

Story was interesting and I enjoyed the final
battle, even though I had limited ammo available. Used bricks/bottles to help thin out the crowd and arrows/guns when necessary. Think I completed it with two bullets left and no arrows.

I doubt I'm likely to play through the entire game a second time, but this was a damn fine game and I can see why so many people enjoy it. I missed it last gen for various reasons, and always meant to go back and pick it, but as the DS4 controller is much more comfortable for me than the sixaxis, I'm really glad I waited.

nib95

Banned
Thoroughly enjoying the PS4 port, more than I did the PS3 build, where the murky texture filtering detracted from the presentation of some earlier chapters, and the choppy framerate really hindered my desire to use any kind of ranged weapon (bricks aside). The port just looks so clean and crisp that the art is able to come alive in a way the original build could not, and the ~60fps adds significantly to the sense of control and motion interacting with the game world. I think the benefit is due to Naughty Dog's insistence to have weighty, realistic animation driven character movement that, in my opinion, feels a bit sluggish and laggy when running at 30fps. 60fps balances that weighted control with very responsive feedback.

Agreed. If they'd just upped some of the geometrical complexity of some of the distant buildings etc, would have been that much more consistent. Still, as you mentioned, that improved resolution and filtering really let's the stunning texture work shine through. You can see they've put an insane amount of thought, detail, diversity and craftsmanship in to the world's, rooms, structures, environments etc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Henry died on the way back to his home planet

BuhzkJvIAAAd5Si.jpg:large

I'm STILL waiting for this to arrive from GameStop. Their customer service is beyond useless. From reading online it seems there are a few in the same boat.

First and last order with them. Really wish I had kept my Amazon order, but dat £8 saving
:(

sikkinixx

So... do the spore-infested tunnels look really bad or just me? I watched a couple let's plays from the PS3 version and it doesn't look as brutal. The spore air looks kinda weird, blotchy crappy mist, even with the light on it's REALLY hard to see in. I just stumbled around against walls until I got out.

Hubb

So... do the spore-infested tunnels look really bad or just me? I watched a couple let's plays from the PS3 version and it doesn't look as brutal. The spore air looks kinda weird, blotchy crappy mist, even with the light on it's REALLY hard to see in. I just stumbled around against walls until I got out.

It is suppose to look murky and bad, but I think they turned it up a little too much.

nib95

Banned
The update sorts the issue out.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hello.

I started a thread a while ago asking whether TLOU had decent gameplay or not as I hadn't played it. It was a bit of a car crash. I'm nearing the end and I'd like to do a LTTP to update the debate with my thoughts after playing.

Is this is the place to do it or better off starting a new thread? I'd like to share and debate etc but not keen on getting caught up in a flame war like last time.

Thanks.

Sorry, should mention I'd like to discuss it with people who aren't fans of the game (hence why a new thread)

K' Dash

Hello.

I started a thread a while ago asking whether TLOU had decent gameplay or not as I hadn't played it. It was a bit of a car crash. I'm nearing the end and I'd like to do a LTTP to update the debate with my thoughts after playing.

Is this is the place to do it or better off starting a new thread? I'd like to share and debate etc but not keen on getting caught up in a flame war like last time.

Thanks.

Don't make more threads, your post will be at home here.

Gazkapop

I'm STILL waiting for this to arrive from GameStop. Their customer service is beyond useless. From reading online it seems there are a few in the same boat.

First and last order with them. Really wish I had kept my Amazon order, but dat £8 saving

Wow that's weird. I thought I might be in the same position in the lead up to launch since I didn't hear anything from them for ages and then the game just happened to land at my door the day before release.

Although I've still yet to receive my £20 back for trading in CoD: Ghosts in order to get the TLoU for a tenner. I agree with you too that their customer service doesn't seem like the most helpful either.

Raptor

Good. I think if you finish your first playthrough in less than 20 hours, you're missing out on a significant amount of side content.

I did 17 on PS3 last year, but I'm still finding tons of new stuff on my 2nd play on PS4.

I reached Fall in 10 or something, and Im exploring everything.

milkham

Hello.

Thanks.

image.php

yeah post it here

Hubb

Sorry, should mention I'd like to discuss it with people who aren't fans of the game (hence why a new thread)

Whether you make a new thread or not people who have played the game and liked it, disliked it, or haven't played it are still going to comment.

Might as well post here or else you'll get people complaining about the amount of TLoU threads in your thread too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try to pick this up again today. Played about 7 or 8 hours last week and haven't really touched it since. What I did play was fantastic but after about 8 hours you kinda reach diminishing returns. Definitely want to see what happens with the story and see what other environments they come up with.

Ferr986

Winter was awesome, you're smoking something!

I guess its because I enjoy the game way more when Im against the infected, and Winter is heavy packed with human enemies.

Also story didnt much do for me, not only it didnt move anything of the overall story or the relationship between Joel and Ellie, they tried to make you feel bad for killing people but they use a cannibal and rapist dude to do so. Like, I cant give a fuck if Im killing people if they are like him. (btw fuck him, 3 stabs and hes still good?!)

But yeah, basically its because I like the game more if Im surrounded by infecteds. Not only their gameplay is more varied, the atmosphere is better too. Thats why my fav. area is Bill town, but the part with the hunters draggen on for too long for me.

That doesnt mean it shouldnt have ny human enemies, but I would have liked them to be more rare.

Ferr986

When did they do this? I never felt like they were making me feel this way. Everyone got what they deserved.

Its the impression I got when that dude said
that you killed their own comrades

But maybe it was just me and not something ND really tried to do

EDIT: Shouldnt have read that Curunfinwe spoiler lol

Curufinwe

Nahhhh, the parts you hated were the best parts of the DLC. So creative and a great use of interactive storytelling. Also, the art design was at its best there, with an insane amount of detail.
That Halloween store!

Wandering around with Ellie's dumb friend and playing some lame mini-games while waiting for her to get herself killed was boring.

Top Bottom