• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Its the impression I got when that dude said
that you killed their own comrades

But maybe it was just me and not something ND really tried to do
I never got the impression we were supposed to empathize with
David in that way. They clearly established him as an untrustworthy manipulator. You're supposed to buy into his twisted philosophy just as much as Ellie does. which is not at all. Especially not after you see what him and his men were truly capable of.

I don't think those dozens of Firefiles deserved to be slaughtered like cattle just so Joel could keep pretending Ellie was his new daughter.

By the time you get to this point
it's obvious that the Fireflies aren't the sweet and cuddly positive resistance that you've heard about.

Its the impression I got when that dude said
that you killed their own comrades

But maybe it was just me and not something ND really tried to do

EDIT: Shouldnt have read that Curunfinwe spoiler lol

I'm guessing you're talking about
David?....also, didn't they shoot the first shot into the laboratory at the university?

The game pretty much was a basic survival system/scenario...you try to kill/theaten me, you die. Most enemies were there to either kill or capture you. Actually was there ever an enemy who didn't have that intention if you were spotted???

Henry died on the way back to his home planet

BuhzkJvIAAAd5Si.jpg:large

I appreciate the Poochie reference even if no one else will, Creamium.

kubus

Also story didnt much do for me, not only it didnt move anything of the overall story or the relationship between Joel and Ellie
Whaaat?

If anything it changed everything about the relationship between Joel and Ellie. Joel wakes up, realizes what Ellie has done for him and when he finds her after she stabbed David to death Joel "breaks" and decides to fully commit himself to Ellie. He accepts her as his daughter.

To me, winter might not be the most fun in terms of gameplay but it was a great storytelling moment and for the changes that happen between their relationship, also my favourite part of the game.

I agree about hunters though, it's why I hate the entire Pittsburgh chapter. luckily winter also has plenty of Infected encounters :)

I have a 6 year old daughter who loves Nintendo stuff. We play together sometimes but unfortunately it can be really aggravating. Mostly because she's never interested in getting collectibles and stuff and tends to wander around without a purpose.

That said it is still awesome to be able to share my joy in gaming with her even if it has to be in small doses.

In fact, I miss the days of wandering aimlessly through a game (and life). Oh to be a kid again!

I'm excited!
I'll make her/him play all Final Fantasy games starting with I and ending with X lol
Jk.
Or am I?

I'm excited!
I'll make her/him play all Final Fantasy games starting with I and ending with X lol
Jk.
Or am I?

Lol, I can't wait for her to play more complex games. She is still learning to read (starts first grade this year) so games like animal crossing and pokemon will be enjoayable for her. She tries to play them now but without being able to read they are pretty much impossible for her.

She loved watching Ni No Kuni too. I say shove as much down their throat as they can digest! ;)

BadHand

Has anyone ever done/attempted a Grounded mode + No Crafting/Upgrades before? So only using what you scavenge. Is such a thing even possible?
Yes it is.gif

Wandering around with Ellie's dumb friend and playing some lame mini-games while waiting for her to get herself killed was boring.

That's what you summarised from the DLC? Do even you even like anything about this game? Everything I've seen you say so far has been negative...almost to the point of trolling.

I just do not have the luxury to play games twice. In all reality have not really been able to do so for well over 5 years, if not even longer. Time is just a commodity I no longer have. I hardly even beat a game these days to be truthful. I usually play a game if and when I can, and then another game comes out that I want to play more and I move on. A game has to be damn good for me to dedicate the 3-4 weeks it usually takes me to beat it. I have actually only beat 3 games this year. Infamous: Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Shovel Knight. For most serious gamers that is a solid week of gaming. For me that has been my year so far. Being almost 40 years old does that to you.

With that said, I am playing TLoU for a 2nd time thanks to this remaster and I will be damned if I am not enjoying it just as much as the first time around. If not more so. The 60 FPS really just makes it that much more of a polished experience.

My first home console was the Pong console, shortly followed by an Atari 2600, and I have owned most consoles since then. I also have gamed on a Commodore 64 and then many years later a custom built Windows Gaming PC's respectively. When I say I have played close to if not over a 1000 games over the years, I actually really do mean it.

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.

This is just a great post.

Curufinwe

That's what you summarised from the DLC? Do even you even like anything about this game? Everything I've seen you say so far has been negative...almost to the point of trolling.

I loved TLOU for the most part; the gameplay was far, far more enjoyable than Uncharted 3. It's amazing how sensitive some people are to any criticism of this game.

I loved the game for the most part. It's amazing how sensitive some people are to any criticism of this game.

Oh please, don't try and play the "criticism" angle. You could have worded your comment in a way that suggested you didn't like certain things, with reasons why and/or how they could have been improved upon without saying it the way you did.

Superflat

Has anyone ever done/attempted a Grounded mode + No Crafting/Upgrades before? So only using what you scavenge. Is such a thing even possible?
Yes it is.gif

It's definitely possible. On my Grounded run, I finished the game with more than 80% of the ammo I collected. Molotov cocktail was the only main craftable item I used, and that was to make the game easier and not really necessary. Shivs were 100% used on locked doors but if you're not crafting anything, I guess they're not useful and you can skip em.

I loved TLOU for the most part; the gameplay was far, far more enjoyable than Uncharted 3. It's amazing how sensitive some people are to any criticism of this game.

Youkeepusingthatwordidonotthinkitmeanswhatyouthinkitmeans.gif

Curufinwe

Youkeepusingthatwordidonotthinkitmeanswhatyouthinkitmeans.gif

I found the non-
Winter
parts of Leff Behind to be unnecessarily drawn out, lacking in gameplay, boring, and cheesy in way the rest of the game never was. That is criticism, whether you agree or disagree with it.

Bro, usually when you criticize something, you gotta back up your statements. You can't just say "it was boring" and leave it at that. What made it boring to you?

Superflat

I found the non-
Winter
parts of Leff Behind to be unnecessarily drawn out, lacking in gameplay, boring, and cheesy in way the rest of the game never was. That is criticism, whether you agree or disagree with it.

Bro, usually when you criticize something, you gotta back up your statements. You can't just say "it was boring" and leave it at that. What made it boring to you?

That's what I'm saying, it's not criticism; your 'criticisms' read as cheeky rhetorical declarations. It doesn't give anyone pause to rethink their opinion or reason to see it from your perspective because there's so little substance to your statement. Why do you think people haven't engaged in your disagreement? They're responding with the same amount of thought you did, and that's all they can do.

That's what I'm saying, it's not criticism; your 'criticisms' read as cheeky rhetorical declarations. It doesn't give anyone pause to rethink their opinion or reason to see it from your perspective because there's so little substance to your statement. Why do you think people haven't engaged in your disagreement? They're responding with the same amount of thought you did, and that's all they can do.

Exactly. Well said.

Vitacat

Just finished TLOU Remastered late last night.

Wow. Holy crap, wow.

Never played TLOU before on PS3, and purposely didn't read much about the game because I didn't want any spoilers.

I know I'm seriously late to the party, but was simply blown away by the elegance of this game's storytelling, and the range of emotions it evoked in me.

For anyone who ever doubted whether or not videogames can be a legit art form: play this game.

Wow. Holy crap, wow.

Never played TLOU before on PS3, and purposely didn't read much about the game because I didn't want any spoilers.

I know I'm seriously late to the party, but was simply blown away by the elegance of this game's storytelling, and the range of emotions it evoked in me.

For anyone who ever doubted whether or not videogames can be a legit art form: play this game.

Reading these kinds of posts about people who haven't played the game until now fills me with so much glee. Especially that last part.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yes it is.gif
That sounds painful, but I guess it might be fun to try. I've only done a run without skill upgrades, but still crafted items and upgraded my weapons.

I dunno, i feel like I might need to craft those extra molotovs and smoke bombs for certain spots... Shit, the more I think about it, the less fun it sounds lol.

On the plus side I wouldn't have to scavenge for anything, so I could just head straight for the exits each time.

Artex

Banned
I just do not have the luxury to play games twice. In all reality have not really been able to do so for well over 5 years, if not even longer. Time is just a commodity I no longer have. I hardly even beat a game these days to be truthful. I usually play a game if and when I can, and then another game comes out that I want to play more and I move on. A game has to be damn good for me to dedicate the 3-4 weeks it usually takes me to beat it. I have actually only beat 3 games this year. Infamous: Second Son, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Shovel Knight. For most serious gamers that is a solid week of gaming. For me that has been my year so far. Being almost 40 years old does that to you.

With that said, I am playing TLoU for a 2nd time thanks to this remaster and I will be damned if I am not enjoying it just as much as the first time around. If not more so. The 60 FPS really just makes it that much more of a polished experience.

My first home console was the Pong console, shortly followed by an Atari 2600, and I have owned most consoles since then. I also have gamed on a Commodore 64 and then many years later a custom built Windows Gaming PC's respectively. When I say I have played close to if not over a 1000 games over the years, I actually really do mean it.

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.

344B8OG.gif

OneLifeCycle

Neo Member
I had one issue with Tess unable to drop down from a cliff into the gutters early on in the game. Had to leave her. Fortunately, she showed up just in time for the next cut-scene.

Hubb

I found the non-
Winter

That criticism is fine. I think when you made the comment about it being the sisterhood of the traveling pants you left yourself open.

Don't get me wrong, calling it sisterhood of the traveling pants is also criticism. The way you put it just makes it seem so obnoxious that it doesn't surprise me that people responded the way they did.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope the jump to 60fps from the filmic 24fps improves the controls. Shooting felt so bad in the original. Not that I want to be doing much shooting this time. I plan on sitting behind chest high walls throwing bottles for more of the game this time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope the jump to 60fps from the filmic 24fps improves the controls. Shooting felt so bad in the original. Not that I want to be doing much shooting this time. I plan on sitting behind chest high walls throwing bottles for more of the game this time.
Aiming feels fantastic in Remastered. The combination of 60fps and DS4 controls work wonders.

I remember shooting being a struggle in the PS3 version before popping some pills, with this version I had no problems pulling off headshots with the revolver at a distance without even increasing the aiming stat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Survivor (+) done. Not too hard. Surprisingly, the part I had to retry most was the end of the sewers. I had pretty much no ammo.

Grounded is tempting but the sparse checkpoints scare me.

I appreciate the Poochie reference even if no one else will, Creamium.

Thanks. Catch on you on the flip side!

Slixshot

Banned
So like, I'm playing through my first playthrough on grounded and I'm just getting past the graveyard. To be honest, kinda cruisin through. Sure a couple deaths here and there, but nothing too bad. :) Love it just as much as I did the first time through on PS3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So like, I'm playing through my first playthrough on grounded and I'm just getting past the graveyard. To be honest, kinda cruisin through. Sure a couple deaths here and there, but nothing too bad. :) Love it just as much as I did the first time through on PS3.
Just wait until the high school. Just wait.

chaosaeon

So... do the spore-infested tunnels look really bad or just me? I watched a couple let's plays from the PS3 version and it doesn't look as brutal. The spore air looks kinda weird, blotchy crappy mist, even with the light on it's REALLY hard to see in. I just stumbled around against walls until I got out.

It is suppose to look murky and bad, but I think they turned it up a little too much.

The update sorts the issue out.

So they fixed the visual problems in the tunnels ? Did they also fix the gamma issues ?

hawk2025

It does.

Everything gameplay-wise feels much, much better.

Hubb

So they fixed the visual problems in the tunnels ? Did they also fix the gamma issues ?

I'm not sure that they have fixed either issue. The tunnel was changed on the day 1 patch apparently and it made it that really bad and way too murky. It was suppose to be really spore filled, but I think they turned it up a little too much.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont think I've ever restarted a checkpoint as much as I have
The Financia
l DIstrict on Grounded mode.. WHY THE FUCK DO THESE FUCKING ENEMIES KEEP RESPAWNING!!!

Footos22

I wanted the MP trophies to get my platinum but I hate the multiplayer so much.

Why do you do this to me Naughty Dog. Looks like it'd take like 40 hours to get all the multiplayer trophies. I can't do it.

Mp is incredible. its ok not to like good things though.

3 more days to go and thats one journey down.

Then time for the firefly journey, might just wait for the map packs though and kill those 2 birds with one stone. Bound to be more trophies.

I wanted the MP trophies to get my platinum but I hate the multiplayer so much.

Why do you do this to me Naughty Dog. Looks like it'd take like 40 hours to get all the multiplayer trophies. I can't do it.

I started playing the MP 2 days ago and I have 100% of the Reclaimed Areas trophies and all but 2 of the Abandoned Territories trophies. Just play for a while and they'll come naturally.

Edit: my bad, I see you meant the Journey trophies. I forgot about those. Yeah, those are gonna suck.

I guess its because I enjoy the game way more when Im against the infected, and Winter is heavy packed with human enemies.

Also story didnt much do for me, not only it didnt move anything of the overall story or the relationship between Joel and Ellie, they tried to make you feel bad for killing people but they use a cannibal and rapist dude to do so. Like, I cant give a fuck if Im killing people if they are like him. (btw fuck him, 3 stabs and hes still good?!)

But yeah, basically its because I like the game more if Im surrounded by infecteds. Not only their gameplay is more varied, the atmosphere is better too. Thats why my fav. area is Bill town, but the part with the hunters draggen on for too long for me.

That doesnt mean it shouldnt have ny human enemies, but I would have liked them to be more rare.

But
Winter has one of the best infected setpieces of the game! Being trapped in the cabin and warehouse was incredibly intense. And Winter does advance the relationship because it shows that Ellie is now self-reliant. She doesn't need Joel or anyone else to save her anymore. Also, it shows the effect Joel has on her. Just as Joel softens up a little because of Ellie, Ellie hardens because of Joel as expressed by the violence she inflicts on David and others.

I agree David was a little too crazy psycho evil, but his followers were not all bad. Sure, they ate people but they likely had to in order to survive. Some even mention that they don't want to follow David anymore because he's a psycho.

chaosaeon

I'm not sure that they have fixed either issue. The tunnel was changed on the day 1 patch apparently and it made it that really bad and way too murky. It was suppose to be really spore filled, but I think they turned it up a little too much.

So it will still be a bit of a wait for a patch to fix those things. ND has said they're aware of the gamma and tunnel issues though right ? Spore filled shouldn't equate to a washed out green/brown fog filter with no color contrast, and night time shouldn't have no darkness, no shadows, and be like a blue filter with day like lighting.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Wow....holy crap i have run into some graphical gitches today. Specular mapping was glitching and terrible texrure pop in. But the specular mapping not activating is pretty terrible. It made characters look as if they were jn dx8 mode.

Anyway i can let ND know?

terrible

Banned
Mp is incredible. its ok not to like good things though.

3 more days to go and thats one journey down.

Then time for the firefly journey, might just wait for the map packs though and kill those 2 birds with one stone. Bound to be more trophies.

Yeah competitive 3rd person multiplayer shooters aren't my thing. Didn't like Socom, Gears, etc either and they're also generally considered to be great. I figured I'd hate it going in but it's The Last of Us! I had to give it a shot.

I really wanted that platinum lol

Andrew.

Banned
End of Winter spoilers.

The end scene between David and Ellie always makes me think of the fight between James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette in True Romance.

Hubb

So it will still be a bit of a wait for a patch to fix those things. ND has said they're aware of the gamma and tunnel issues though right ? Spore filled shouldn't equate to a washed out green/brown fog filter with no color contrast, and night time shouldn't have no darkness, no shadows, and be like a blue filter with day like lighting.

I'm sure they do know about it, but I have no idea whether they really do or not. Let alone if ND is going to do anything about either issue.

Wow. Holy crap, wow.

Very pudic and intimate story telling. Others would have opted for more grandiloquent dialogues and more frenzy, but not ND. This is some high caliber writing that rivals the best TV and movies have to offer on the same theme.

ij8ezt4MYFrYZ.gif

Top Bottom