• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Portugeezer

Man, I have played for about 3 hours and so far it is living up to the hype. I love the feel of the combat and the pacing of the game. The cutscenes are short and don't take you out of the game; it's all to do with what you're doing.

Graphics look good, some environments look low poly and the odd shitty texture pops up now and then, but the image quality is great.

hawk2025

Man, I have played for about 3 hours and so far it is living up to the hype. I love the feel of the combat and the pacing of the game. The cutscenes are short and don't take you out of the game; it's all to do with what you're doing.

Graphics look good, some environments look low poly and the odd shitty texture pops up now and then, but the image quality is great.

You know nothing, Europe Snow.

The first three hours of the game are by and large considered to be the worst part of the game by a wide margin.

162.gif

Can we trade brains/memories?? :D

Finished the game last night for the first time.
The ending was the worst. Screw Joel. I don't care that you now have bonded with Ellie and that she saved your life over the winter and such. You just caused the extinction of the entire human race. The game was great, but the ending really made me hate Joel and soured me on his character as a whole. I finally see why everyone thought this was game of the year last year. I only played up to where Tess got shot last year so I never finished it on PS3, but the remastered came out so I thought "Why Not?".....

But seriously, the ending was not good and made me hope Joel just died. The entire hospital part was the worst, because as the player I just wanted to go up to a guard and say "Let me say goodbye to her" and then leave. He had NO RIGHT to take her and damn the world to this. Even if there was a chance they could get a cure, why would you not? He even talks to Ellie in the game about "Sacrificing one to save the many, and the Greater Good.... Ugh, I'm really pissed off about it. Seriously, If someone would have told me the ending, I probably wouldn't have played this game all the way through. Just until the Giraffe part and then shut it off and pretended that was the end.

The ending was the worst. Screw Joel. I don't care that you now have bonded with Ellie and that she saved your life over the winter and such. You just caused the extinction of the entire human race. The game was great, but the ending really made me hate Joel and soured me on his character as a whole. I finally see why everyone thought this was game of the year last year. I only played up to where Tess got shot last year so I never finished it on PS3, but the remastered came out so I thought "Why Not?".....

But seriously, the ending was not good and made me hope Joel just died. The entire hospital part was the worst, because as the player I just wanted to go up to a guard and say "Let me say goodbye to her" and then leave. He had NO RIGHT to take her and damn the world to this. Even if there was a chance they could get a cure, why would you not? He even talks to Ellie in the game about "Sacrificing one to save the many, and the Greater Good.... Ugh, I'm really pissed off about it. Seriously, If someone would have told me the ending, I probably wouldn't have played this game all the way through. Just until the Giraffe part and then shut it off and pretended that was the end.

If you would have gotten the ending you wanted, it wouldn't leave such an impact on you.
There were enough cliche's to begin with.
The ending was
perfect because you probably didn't expect it. A lot of people hated it, and hated him for it, but after a few days you'll realize that it's actually a very fitting ending

For those who have beaten the game for the first time. Did you know that Nolan North was the voice of
David?

Hubb

I've told myself that I wouldn't talk about the ending, but apparently I lied to myself.

I'm not going to rehash all the "we don't know they'll be able to make the vaccine", "vaccines aren't 100% effective", and so on.

Joel did not damn the world, the world was already damned by every other human we run into during the game (barring a select few). This vaccine would not cure the people already infected, as far as we know there are still more clickers in the world than humans, people in this world are generally assholes and they aren't going to magically become saints.

The best chance this world has are places like Tommy's and even in some twisted way David's. Both of those are/were rebuilding civilization. Even if they are just small towns/enclaves, they provide the best chance to move forward. This isn't Walking Dead where when you die you automatically turn, if everyone was able to work together to clear out the clickers the problem would be over (mostly).

I'm not sure where my opinions on Joel stand in terms of other people, but I would have done what he did. I don't think he is the villain (or that there are any villains), and I don't like labeling him selfish like some/most do.

And you realize the reason they didn't let you say goodbye to Ellie and leave? They never gave Ellie a choice. They didn't tell her anything and they were worried she wouldn't want to go through with it. Keeping her knocked out was easier, how can you like them any more than Joel. Even if we think/know that that would be her choice, they still stole that choice away from her. Not to mention how many times in life do we allow 14 year olds to give up their life?

Joel did not cause the extinction of the human race that is bullshit .
Humans are who causing the extinction and damning the world because of the shit they doing to each other .
Tommy said it best the infected are not problem is the humans you have to worry about.
Then there Ellie who the fireflys gave her no choice also and even if they did this was a 14 year old with survivor guilt who they are trying to put everything on her

ascii42

I personally feel that it's a bit more complicated than that
as long as Ellie is alive there's still a chance, and that even from the Firefly's perspective keeping Ellie alive is important. What if their first attempts at creating a cure from Ellie fail? Well, too bad, because she's dead. Even if they made a cure, how would they distribute it? There aren't many of them left. Some have argued that part of the point of going against all those hunters, David's men in particular, is that the world is past saving. This is the new world now, there's no going back to what was before. I'd like to believe otherwise, though.

But on the other hand, who knows how many surgeons and scientist there are left still capable, so in killing them Joel maybe you are right that that was their last chance. That's why I like the ending so much. I've spent hours thinking about it and I still argue with myself over it.

terrible

Banned
If I was put into the same situation as Joel and I had the power to stop them from killing Ellie I would have done the exact same thing he did.

Is that right? Probably not, though it'd be pretty hard to have a positive outlook on humanity in that world.

It must be equally exciting and terrifying to be working for ND right now. The studio is held in such a high esteem that criticism of their next projects, whatever they may be, will be incisive to say the least.

I personally feel that it's a bit more complicated than that
as long as Ellie is alive there's still a chance, and that even from the Firefly's perspective keeping Ellie alive is important. What if their first attempts at creating a cure from Ellie fail? Well, too bad, because she's dead. Even if they made a cure, how would they distribute it? There aren't many of them left. Some have argued that part of the point of going against all those hunters, David's men in particular, is that the world is past saving. This is the new world now, there's no going back to what was before. I'd like to believe otherwise, though.

But on the other hand, who knows how many surgeons and scientist there are left still capable, so in killing them Joel maybe you are right that that was their last chance. That's why I like the ending so much. I've spent hours thinking about it and I still argue with myself over it.

The thing is the world can rebuild with places like Tommy might take years but it possible .
The fireflys no better than any other group fighting for power ,they are one of the reason why humans not worth saving IMO at least not at my expensive of happiest.

Barrylad

Neo Member
That 15 part dissection of TLOU's interactive and thematic structure that someone posted is fantastic - but I'm just five parts in. Very similar to the 'Last of Us Changed My Life' video that did the rounds last year. Spoilers abound, obviously. It touches on lots of things I love about the game, like the tonnes and tonnes of parallels in the story, to how the gameplay informs the story, and the two aren't separate entities. Well worth a watch.

Patch 1.02 will be deployed in North America today. We are working to have the patch deployed in Europe as soon as possible over the weekend, and we expect the patch to be deployed in Asia next week. If you are already logged in, be sure to quit out of the game and check your Downloads notifications that the update file for The Last of Us Remastered has been downloaded and installed.

As many of you may know, especially if you are among the many, many, many people who have been playing our Factions multiplayer mode, that some people have been experiencing long wait times while trying to find a match. We've deployed several LiveUpdates over the past week in an effort to improve the matchmaking wait times. Things have definitely improved but there still remains work for us to get the matchmaking experience where we feel it should be. Patch 1.02 is our latest effort to continuing improving the matchmaking experience.

Once the patch has been deployed, the team here will be keeping a close eye on the time it takes to find a match among our player community so we can continue to address this issue.

One tip: if you've found yourself waiting what you feel is a very long time to get into a match, quit out of matchmaking and go back into "Find a Match". Even though this adds an extra step, we've found that it sometimes helps players get into matches quicker than continuing to wait.

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/the_last_of_us_remastered_patch_102/

What's the song called that plays near the end of the game when
Joel is carrying Ellie through the hospital trying to escape?
Trying to find it.

antitrop

Why do I bore you with the history of my life? To put some perspective on how much weight my comment actually carries. I know there are plenty reading this now and saying shut the fuck up old man, who cares about you, you are a relic. A dinosaur. But you will be me sooner than you realize. And perhaps then you will look back on things and realize arguing over shit like 30 vs 60 frames per second was silly. Perhaps not.

What I do truly believe you will realize if you do not realize it right now is this game is one of the best fucking video games ever made. It truly and sincerely is.

Great post. Even if you've only played 4 games this year, you picked 4 good ones.

mcfrank

it doesn't matter what you wanted to happen. You are playing as Joel, not yourself. Joel would kill those doctors and save Ellie.

stryke

That 15 part dissection of TLOU's interactive and thematic structure that someone posted is fantastic - but I'm just five parts in. Very similar to the 'Last of Us Changed My Life' video that did the rounds last year. Spoilers abound, obviously. It touches on lots of things I love about the game, like the tonnes and tonnes of parallels in the story, to how the gameplay informs the story, and the two aren't separate entities. Well worth a watch.

An informative watch. Thanks.

I know this has probably been stated more than once but how is it that you can skip directly to grounded+ or survival+ even only after beating it on hard?

I know this has probably been stated more than once but how is it that you can skip directly to grounded+ or survival+ even only after beating it on hard?

1. Start new game+

2. Play through the prologue

3. Back out to the main menu and go to chapter select

4. Pick prologue but this time you'll have an option to select difficulty.

5. Ta-da. You're playing Survivor+/Grounded+

Cloudy

Banned
I went through the game on Normal hardly ever having to use explosives or smoke bombs. They are pretty important on Hard.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I went through the game on Normal hardly ever having to use explosives or smoke bombs. They are pretty important on Hard.

The bombs are good, but I always forget/don't use the smoke bombs. Only time they really did much for me was
the sniper section since I try to get behind the main house fairly quickly with it.

[Ending]
Having to shoot the doctor and then get called a fucking monster is one of the more brutal things I've seen in a video game.

leng jai

Just finished my first run. I didn't even encounter the 2 bloaters in the tunnel. I killed three runner in the right side and that was it. What the hell?

Cloudy

Banned
The bombs are good, but I always forget/don't use the smoke bombs. Only time they really did much for me was
the sniper section since I try to get behind the main house fairly quickly with it.

They are very helpful to throw and bum-rush an enemy when you run out of ammo

Hubb

A real question for all you monsters. Early game spoiler who didn't kill
the guy begging to die with all the debris fallen on him just to keep the extra bullet?

Takuan

So, Left Behind:
Using clickers/zombies vs David's men was fun, but I really wish the flashback didn't end before Riley had turned. Also found the whole lesbian angle to be unnecessary and borderline exploitative.

The book of puns and the photo booth were really sweet moments, however.

the guy begging to die with all the debris fallen on him just to keep the extra bullet?
I started a grounded playthrough and saved the bullet, hahaha.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It seems like if you shoot him there will be an extra bullet in the ones you can pick up next to him.

Insaniac

Finished the main game and the side story. I really enjoyed the story in this game and I got really attached to the characters.

I'm really torn on the ending, it was good and makes you think

Finished my first playthrough yesterday. All I can say is.....wow. Absolutely phenomenal game. So glad they ported this to PS4. Never had a PS3 so never played it when it originally was released. Now, I got to experience this game in it's best form. First off, the graphics are incredible. Even though it's a last gen game, it can certainly holds its own up against next-gen/current-gen titles. Great detail on the character models and environments. Gameplay wise, it's a blast to play. Love how your ammo is limited making each enemy encounter tense. The controls feel tight and responsive. Combat is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time with Clickers and Infected running at you hoping you don't get grabbed by one. Pacing in this game is perfect. Never felt there was too much or too little action/exploration. The story and writing is some of the best I've ever seen in a video game. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson bring Joel and Ellie to life. Their performances are brimming with emotion and believability. I genuinely cared for Ellie and Joel's relationship and what was going to happen to them next. The characters are very well written and there is fantastic character development. Lastly, the ending. Still not sure what to think about it, but it definitely has me thinking. It was a very bold way to end the game. The multiplayer in this game is quite enjoyable. Not great, but it is a lot better than some of the mulitplayers in other single player focused games. (*cough* Tomb Raider *cough*) All in all, The Last of Us is a incredible experience and a fantastic game. Certainly deserving of all the accolades it received. Can't wait to dive into Left Behind tomorrow.

So, Left Behind:
Using clickers/zombies vs David's men was fun, but I really wish the flashback didn't end before Riley had turned. Also found the whole lesbian angle to be unnecessary and borderline exploitative.

The book of puns and the photo booth were really sweet moments, however.

I started a grounded playthrough and saved the bullet, hahaha.

Exploitive how? I thought it just made the story even more impactful.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Grounded documentary is really, really good.

I wish more games would get a behind the scenes doc of this quality. I agree, it's very well done. Some great shots in it, like when Ellie's face reflects on the eye of someone playing.

Good thing we'll be seeing more of Area5 with Outerlands soon.

Really enjoy docs like that. I was always a fan of the long God of War making ofs as well, especially 2.

Top Bottom