• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

In Left Behind
the parts with Riley were a lot better than the parts with Ellie searching for medicine IMO. The latter seemed to serve no purpose really.

kitzkozan

Hard was perfect my first time through. I say to anyone -- if you are generally adept at games and generally can deal with playing most games, then hard will feel like a fun challenge but without being overwhelming. It's what "normal" should be, IMO.

This is exactly what I'm doing on my first run and it's perfectly manageable. :] I had way too many death for my liking in the basement of the hotel, but that's because I was stubborn. :p Outside of this one spot, it feels like what a game on normal should be.

Dunkers92

I don't know why it took me this long but I have only just watched The Last of Us One Night Live on YouTube and it was awesome.

So great to see a celebration of a game that is so special to a lot of people.

Phamit

In Left Behind
the parts with Riley were a lot better than the parts with Ellie searching for medicine IMO. The latter seemed to serve no purpose really.

I think the intention was to show two important parts of Ellies life both ironically happening in a mall. In one she loses a person she love, while in the other part she can save one.

Hubb

Hehe you're right... Intentionally or not, that was nice.

It is probably intentional. Just like Ellie reacts when you shine a flashlight in her eyes, I'm guessing they have it program to react when you point a gun towards them. I've never tried to shoot Ellie, but I imagine it doesn't let you/she tries to get out of the way of the aim.

Takuan

Exploitative in what way?

I think the idea that she had a romantic involvement with the character adds emphasis on this event and even better explains how it stayed with her (she references Riley at the very end). It didn't seem forced at all.

If you think it's exploitative simply because she happens to be a lesbian (or possibly bisexual) then I'm not sure what to tell you. Sometimes, in life, people become involved with people of the same gender. This happens in real life. It's part of the overall human experience.

Exploitive how? I thought it just made the story even more impactful.
I thought they sufficiently established the depth of the relationship and adding that element was cheap. I have no problem with them being
gay/bi
, but I feel it would've been far more effective to show
Ellie having to watch Riley turn and kill her/see her killed.

I hate that they weren't willing to go that far. That would have been powerful. Them being
in love
was cheesy. Even if
Riley was a boy

[boots]

Holy shit at the sewers.

The note from Kyle, the bodies of the children and the writing on the floor 'They didn't suffer'

:(

I just finished this part and the following neighborhood and after finding
Ish's last note,
I realized that since it's almost certain a sequel is coming, playing as
Ish would be perfect. Being the opposite of Joel in terms of toughness, but having to protect Sarah and the surviving kids
would be intense in this game's world.

Proxy

Finished my Grounded + run through last night and while there was some moments where I just felt like breaking something
Particularly the suburbs, until I figured out the route and got a little bit lucky.
it was an overall fun experience that forced me to get better at the game. I found it funny that the two areas I was most worried about
Hotel Basement and the Sewers
didn't give me much trouble at all.

Marvel

could never
I found it funny that the two areas I was most worried about
Hotel Basement and the Sewers
didn't give me much trouble at all.

Shit yeah! me too, breezed through that also after worrying about it for a while.

I'm at the Hospital so I should be able to quickly finish it before the GAF tournament tonight.

Takuan

[boots];124608488 said:
I just finished this part and the following neighborhood and after finding
Ish's last note,
I realized that since it's almost certain a sequel is coming, playing as
Ish would be perfect. Being the opposite of Joel in terms of toughness, but having to protect Sarah and the surviving kids
would be intense in this game's world.
Good catch. I figured I'd find a corpse eventually but never did. That series of notes was probably the most interesting.

Proxy

Are you able to get fully upgraded for joel and weapons in grounded? Are there enough supplies? Or do pills and parts do not decrease with difficulty?

I doubt it. Although as far as I know pills and parts are in the same places and in similar amounts as all the other difficulties.

Survivor and Grounded feel like the same amount of drops. Just doing Survivor I had the revolver done as well as the hunting rifle, shotgun and bow mostly done. Two runs should be enough if you can get a few of the shiv doors open. They tend to have 50 parts in them. Also those occasional safes with the notes nearby might have 25-50 in them.

Had something weird happen. I got the trophy for fully upgrading Joel with supplements but I I still had Shiv Master untouched. There was also the Listen Mode upgrade (which I couldn't see in Survivor anyway) completely undone.

Anyone else run into technical problems while playing LEFT BEHIND?

The frame rate kept hitching up on me, literally freezing for a second or two every now and then...and then I went to open Ellie's backpack to look at an artifact and it just locked up on me completely and I got an error code.

Game is way buggier than it was on PS3. :(

BadHand

Survivor and Grounded feel like the same amount of drops. Just doing Survivor I had the revolver done as well as the hunting rifle, shotgun and bow mostly done. Two runs should be enough if you can get a few of the shiv doors open. They tend to have 50 parts in them. Also those occasional safes with the notes nearby might have 25-50 in them.

Had something weird happen. I got the trophy for fully upgrading Joel with supplements but I I still had Shiv Master untouched. There's also the Listen Mode upgrade (which you can't see in Survivor anyway) undone.

The shiv doors on grounded tend to have half (rounded up) of the supplies for the same doors on survivor in my experience. Same parts/pills though.

Cloudy

Banned
Oh man, the last fight of "The Hunt" on Hard was tough. Thankfully there's a checkpoint in there.

PS: Is it possible to totally miss some guns in this game? Like if you leave the area, are you screwed? Just wondering why most of the guns are found lying around pretty prominently

[boots]

Good catch. I figured I'd find a corpse eventually but never did. That series of notes was probably the most interesting.

The overwhelming desire to play that character came as soon as I realized there weren't any corpses myself.

And congratulations (if your tag isn't some sarcastic troll by a sadistic mod)!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Grounded+. Yeah I know it's not possible on the first playthrough.

Pills seem to be the same, but I'm not sure about parts. I think there would be less piles of those even if some of the bigger drops still exist, but it may work out.

Had something weird happen. I got the trophy for fully upgrading Joel with supplements but I I still had Shiv Master untouched. There was also the Listen Mode upgrade (which I couldn't see in Survivor anyway) completely undone.

Yeah, trophies are pretty glitchy. I unlocked fully upgrading Joel without touching Listen Mode but maxing everything else.

Liamc723

The shiv upgrades don't count towards the trophy for some reason.

Jobbs

Banned
I thought they sufficiently established the depth of the relationship and adding that element was cheap. I have no problem with them being gay/bi, but I feel it would've been far more effective to show Ellie having to watch Riley turn and kill her/see her killed.

I hate that they weren't willing to go that far. That would have been powerful. Them being in love was cheesy. Even if Riley was a boy.

I think the reason they didn't end with Riley turning and Ellie having to kill her and so forth is because this is how the "game" effectively ends. You're expected to play this DLC after playing the main game, so how this ends is sort of how the entire story ends. I think they correctly surmised that ending everything, capping everything off, with something so dark and hopeless wouldn't be the way to go. Instead they added sort of that hopeful note from Riley's speech that capped the entire game off in a bit better way.

for what it's worth, I completely agree with their ending. Ending with Riley turning and Ellie having to kill her feels unnecessary because we already know what happens. We already know that's what happens by playing the main game. So showing it just feels sort of redundant and pointless, as well as brings the story to a close in a really strange, dark way. How something ends is particularly important. It would have caused the game to be "about" death and hopelessness, when that's not what it was about. It was really quite to the contrary. The entire DLC, the back and forth of Ellie and Riley and Ellie trying to save Joel -- It was about courage and love, not about death and despair. It was about GOOD aspects of humanity existing despite a very ungood world. That in mind I liked the ending.

Garibaldi

Are you able to get fully upgraded for joel and weapons in grounded? Are there enough supplies? Or do pills and parts do not decrease with difficulty?

Apparently, pill wise it requires a full run through and another till the end of Bill's town to Max Joel out. 800 pill points in total.

That info is from the official Brady games guide.

mstevens

The shiv upgrades don't count towards the trophy for some reason.

That's because its not possible to upgrade them on easy (because it's always upgraded). Same with listen mode, there's no listen mode in survivor so they don't make you upgrade it for the trophy.

I literally had to do a fresh install of the game in order to get LEFT BEHIND to stop freezing and causing the game to crash out completely to an error screen.

Seems to be playing fine after that, fingers crossed.

Bought a PS4 the other day along with this. Had some loading issues (a big chunk of scenery, including the floor, did not loading fast enough in the prologue causing me to die), and some character model jumping issues (Joel and Sarah jumping position around screen, especially during the car crash), but haven't had any issues after the first hour. Was downloading FFXIV in the background, but that took 6 hours to download, so I dunno if it was that causing it if the problems only lasted one.

Anyway, interesting enough game so far.

phen0m24

Hey all I had posted about long load times previously. If anyone else is getting 2 minute plus load times, are you locking the game at 30FPS? I was.

Unlocked it and it loaded pretty quickly today.

Just FYI.

(goes back to the game)

FootballFan

Holy shit at the sewers.

The note from Kyle, the bodies of the children and the writing on the floor 'They didn't suffer'

Reading those letters and looking around at the scenes in that section of the game is great.

The notes and letters from
Ish are brilliant. I want a last of us game with his story :D

IndustryX

Got all the way to fall yesterday on grounded, wasn't to rough at all.. only had to play the
financial district
twice, had a really awesome run through that section made me feel bad ass. the part I struggled with most was
the hotel basement until I figured out not to sprint after turning on the generator and instead crouch walked to the exit

This game is so damn awesome on grounded. This is my fourth and probably my favourite playthrough. The difficulty truly captures the intensity of every situation and the struggle between life and death. I love not being able to see your health + ammo in your clip, and the severe lack of supplies is much more realistic. My only gripe is the fact when you stealth kill someone who had a gun and he hasn't shot the damn thing, he should really drop ammo even 1 bullet would be nice .. Although not necessarily needed as I have managed to stealth and brick and bottle my way through nearly the entire game so far.

Top Bottom