• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Takuan

I think the reason they didn't end with Riley turning and Ellie having to kill her and so forth is because this is how the "game" effectively ends. You're expected to play this DLC after playing the main game, so how this ends is sort of how the entire story ends. I think they correctly surmised that ending everything, capping everything off, with something so dark and hopeless wouldn't be the way to go. Instead they added sort of that hopeful note from Riley's speech that capped the entire game off in a bit better way.

for what it's worth, I completely agree with their ending. Ending with Riley turning and Ellie having to kill her feels unnecessary because we already know what happens. We already know that's what happens by playing the main game. So showing it just feels sort of redundant and pointless, as well as brings the story to a close in a really strange, dark way. How something ends is particularly important. It would have caused the game to be "about" death and hopelessness, when that's not what it was about. It was really quite to the contrary. The entire DLC, the back and forth of Ellie and Riley and Ellie trying to save Joel -- It was about courage and love, not about death and despair. It was about GOOD aspects of humanity existing despite a very ungood world. That in mind I liked the ending.
Left Behind is a side-story that isn't meant to wrap things up the way you suggest. It's a background piece on Ellie first and foremost, not to bring the story to a close. I'd call it a tale of courage born from tragic, scarring loss.

I wasn't suggesting it end with Riley dying, of course; only that I would've liked to have seen everything play out post-bite. Bit of a moot point though, isn't it?

psychotron

Finished Left Behind and started my Grounded run. I beat Survivor on PS3 and was proud of that, lol.

Did you guys notice stuttering in 60fps mode in certain areas?
During the prologue it would get jerky when running down the street with people. Also at the university in fall it would seem to stutter during camera pans. Just wondering because I always worry my system or new hard drive have issues. I've also been curious because now sometimes when I start my console and choose my profile, there's sometimes a pause before it goes to the main dashboard. Sometimes it's instant, but other times it takes like 5 seconds.

Jobbs

Banned
Left Behind is a side-story that isn't meant to wrap things up the way you suggest. It's a background piece on Ellie first and foremost, not to bring the story to a close.

It caps off the experience. It's the last part of this overall story we'll see. Like it or not, chronolically the player is expected to have played this last. It IS the end of the road... The writers have to take that into consideration. They just do. And I think it's pretty evident that they did, by ending with that encapsulating monologue.

Were you able to do it through chapter select? I don't know how you get the "collect all trophy" and not the trophy for just part of it.

I did newgame plus and got what I was missing that way. If you chapter select then new game plus i messes up what carries over

mstevens

I can't decide if I want to do survivor+ or grounded+... I think there are some areas in the game that I just won't be able to do (skill wise) on grounded,
like the sniping, and the two sections where waves of infected come at ellie and david
. I just am not that good at aiming.

Takuan

It caps off the experience. It's the last part of this overall story we'll see. Like it or not, chronolically the player is expected to have played this last. It IS the end of the road... The writers have to take that into consideration. They just do. And I think it's pretty evident that they did.
I mean, you're free to think that, but your goggles are practically glowing at this point in trying to defend some really mild criticism. Left Behind was an interesting and generally well-executed. My quibbles with it are mostly minor; I was just expecting to see that scene and was disappointed they didn't go there.

Hubb

I did newgame plus and got what I was missing that way. If you chapter select then new game plus i messes up what carries over

I'm on my NG+ right now. Figure I am just going to play it out and then chapter select to get the last of my collectibles. I'm not worried about messing up what carries over in my NG++.

Darknight

I just beat LEFT BEHIND for the first time ever and wow, really awesome how ND added another layer of depth to Ellie. I didnt know about that which happens in it. I didnt expect it and it hit me like a wall of bricks. I was confused and happy at the same time. DAMN this game.

Jobbs

Banned
I mean, you're free to think that, but your goggles are practically glowing at this point in trying to defend some really mild criticism. Left Behind was an interesting and generally well-executed. My quibbles with it are mostly minor; I was just expecting to see that scene and was disappointed they didn't go there.

Goggles? I'm just saying what I think. If there's something in the game I don't like I'm happy to point it out.

I just beat LEFT BEHIND for the first time ever and wow, really awesome how ND added another layer of depth to Ellie. I didnt know about that which happens in it. I didnt expect it and it hit me like a wall of bricks. I was confused and happy at the same time. DAMN this game.

Honestly -- I kinda saw it coming from a mile away, which is why it didn't seem strange or shocking at the end. There were clues along the way as to the nature of their relationship, such as references to a break up in the past, Ellie saying "just... keep doing what you're doing. it's working" as riley is clearly trying to get back in her good graces. And then the loaded silence in the photo booth -- by that point it was completely clear.

I agree, though, it was well done and I really liked it.

Megasoum

Banned
So I have a question, I guess it's not necessarly directly related to TLOU but in this case it is about TLOU.

Anybody know if the saves are compatible between the disc and the digital version? I have the disc version right now but I will be switching to the digital version next week so I want to know if I'm wasting my time starting the playthrough right now or if I have to wait.

Darknight

Goggles? I'm just saying what I think. If there's something in the game I don't like I'm happy to point it out.

Honestly -- I kinda saw it coming from a mile away, which is why it didn't seem strange or shocking at the end. There were clues along the way as to the nature of their relationship, such as references to a break up in the past, Ellie saying "just... keep doing what you're doing. it's working" as riley is clearly trying to get back in her good graces. And then the loaded silence in the photo booth -- by that point it was completely clear.

I agree, though, it was well done and I really liked it.

You know honestly Im really bad at "reading" people so maybe thats why it surprised me! Coming into this, I knew they were best buds. Thats it and that they get bit together. The scene that really got me thinking was the 'Booth' scene. I mean right after they are done taking pictures, there is this really awkward exchange of expressions like they both wanted to do something to one another. I felt they were gonna kiss for a second and was like 'what was that?' in my mind since I though again they were just friends.

I mean I felt that Riley was just being super nice to Ellie to cheer her up and make her happy since she had left Ellie once before and wanted to make things better. I didnt know Riley was trying for Ellie to love her again or something. So once they started dancing I was "nice, both are having a good time" and then Ellie got really emotional and gave her the kiss. I was like "WAAAAA" with my jaw wide open. So then I was happy for both of them for that one second before the runners show up. Like there were so many feelings going on when Ellie told Riley to stay. Guess with her potty mouth you could say she was tom boyish but I never expected her to be Bi/Lesbian. I dont have a problem by that I actually feel more "respect" for her as Im playing the SP. Her feelings have now been amplified by this prologue. She didnt just lose her best friend but her first love. Hats off the ND, for real. The scene was really deep and the back and forth really showed why she was trying desperately to take care of Joel. She didnt want to lose him just like she did Riley.

Hubb

So I have a question, I guess it's not necessarly directly related to TLOU but in this case it is about TLOU.

Anybody know if the saves are compatible between the disc and the digital version? I have the disc version right now but I will be switching to the digital version next week so I want to know if I'm wasting my time starting the playthrough right now or if I have to wait.

I don't know 100% for PS4, but for Vita digital to disc or disc to digital works. I believe it works that way for the PS3 unless my mind is fucking with me. I don't see why it wouldn't work that way on PS4.

The only time I can think of an issue is if you are trying to take an EU disc save and use a NA digital game. I think they need to be from the same region, at least that is how I remember the PS3 working.

Draper

God, I have such a love/hate relationship with Grounded. I respect that it feels challenging yet not cheap, but still...FUCK YOU GROUNDED MODE

wowlace

Just finished the game for the first time last night (hard, no listen). The wife watched me play the entire game over the past week (20.5hrs). We were discussing the ending all night and still this morning.

I get that at the end of the hospital Joel is put back where he/we started - about to lose another daughter. I would have done the same thing. Fuck they fireflies, they are no different to the government. Why do they get to decide what goes down. Also, there is no way that surgeon develops a cure. You need a fully function facility with a team of first class scientists. If they had those kinds of resources they could just study the spores etc. the fireflies are dreamers.

Hubb

Just finished the game for the first time last night (hard, no listen). The wife watched me play the entire game over the past week (20.5hrs). We were discussing the ending all night and still this morning.

I get that at the end of the hospital Joel is put back where he/we started - about to lose another daughter. I would have done the same thing. Fuck they fireflies, they are no different to the government. Why do they get to decide what goes down. Also, there is no way that surgeon develops a cure. You need a fully function facility with a team of first class scientists. If they had those kinds of resources they could just study the spores etc. the fireflies are dreamers.

Not to mention
it is a vaccine not a cure. It wont bring the infected back to life.

Just beat the first
Bloater
you run into without a molotov. Feels good.

mcfrank

God,
the generator portion on grounded
...what am I suppose to do?

3M7OKKX.gif

IndustryX

God,

Get the keycard kill the 4 runners with the bottles + Melee combo, go to the generator fire it up and crouch walk to the exit.

That's what worked for me. Just a side note have you played the game before?

Draper

Get the keycard kill the 4 runners with the bottles + Melee combo, go to the generator fire it up and crouch walk to the exit.

That's what worked for me. Just a side note have you played the game before?

Yep, beat it on the PS3, but I really don't recall a good portion of it.

Cloudy

Banned
Watching the Grounded documentary, Neil Druckmann kind of hints at the sequel
Ellie as a "superhero" and this is her origin story

ND pls

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
God,
Just did it today
Grab the keycard and take out the four stalkers as they come. It's easiest to deal with them in the room above the generator somce tbey all come from one direction. After that head over to the exit and try the keycard slot to get the first attempt set. Drop down and start the generator. Wait a few seconds until after the screams stop the. Sprint up the middle rubble ramp, shotgun the one stalker crouching near the exit hallway, and GTFO

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Watching the Grounded documentary, Neil Druckmann kind of hints at the sequel
Ellie as a "superhero" and this is her origin story

ND pls
That's my hope. I don't need Joel to be a part of it, his arc seems done, but there's many possibilities for Ellie. She's awesome and adds a lot of emotional grounding to a sequel.

krae_man

The more times I play the game, the more I realize that the game is broken if you don't do exactly what the devs wanted you to do in a situation.

I got to the book store with a full stock of arrows so I decided to see if I could take out the entire area with stealth.

The guys on the outside were easy, I took the fire escape to the top floor and took out the entire top floor. went back down the staircase and noticed about 4 new enemies that weren't on the bottom floor instantly spawned so I went back upstairs and took out all but one with my bow. Last guy was in the office area so I couldn't get at him from up there. I sneak behind to choke him but Joel does the "I don't need to be quiet there's nobody else around" kill and curb stomps the dude.

Music changes from "combat music" to "all is calm music" so I start scavenging around for supplies then after a couple minutes I hear the "you're about to get spotted quick hide" sound and think "Where the fuck is that coming from?" and there's two guys 5 feet from me standing right behind each other. I shiv the one guy and take out the other with a plank and 5 more guys come in.

I try to mele one and miss for absolutely no valid reason and he grabs me and while I'm in the press [] fast QTE Ellie knifes him in the back. I take out the last guy and Ellie and Joel make "wow that was close" remarks and Ellie quotes her comic.

Guess that area is programmed in a way where you can't continue unless you break stealth and Ellie saves your ass.

IndustryX

The more times I play the game, the more I realize that the game is broken if you don't do exactly what the devs wanted you to do in a situation.

I got to the book store with a full stock of arrows so I decided to see if I could take out the entire area with stealth.

The guys on the outside were easy, I took the fire escape to the top floor and took out the entire top floor. went back down the staircase and noticed about 4 new enemies that weren't on the bottom floor instantly spawned so I went back upstairs and took out all but one with my bow. Last guy was in the office area so I couldn't get at him from up there. I sneak behind to choke him but Joel does the "I don't need to be quiet there's nobody else around" kill and curb stomps the dude.

Music changes from "combat music" to "all is calm music" so I start scavenging around for supplies then after a couple minutes I hear the "you're about to get spotted quick hide" sound and think "Where the fuck is that coming from?" and there's two guys 5 feet from me standing right behind each other. I shiv the one guy and take out the other with a plank and 5 more guys come in.

I try to mele one and miss for absolutely no valid reason and he grabs me and while I'm in the press [] fast QTE Ellie knifes him in the back. I take out the last guy and Ellie and Joel make "wow that was close" remarks and Ellie quotes her comic.

Guess that area is programmed in a way where you can't continue unless you break stealth and Ellie saves your ass.

Uhm I snuck right through that area and hit the shiv door and only took out a total of three guys, you can definitely stealth it.

Jobbs

Banned
That's my hope. I don't need Joel to be a part of it, his arc seems done, but there's many possibilities for Ellie. She's awesome and adds a lot of emotional grounding to a sequel.

I'd bet actual money on ellie starring in the sequel and joel being in it either not at all or almost not at all.

they've built up a big fanbse around ellie at this point, it's a hit title, and there's room for ellie to do more things. This was the perfect origin story. it'd be dumb, in my opinion, from all angles, to not bring her back.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I took out all of them stealthily no problem.

Cloudy

Banned

Can you imagine E3 2016 and the teaser is
an older Ellie unleashing badassness all over the screen?

It'd be amazing. The only hesitation they might have with
revisiting Ellie is adding some kind of love interest. I just don't think the vast majority of the target audience is progressive enough to be comfortable with lesbian "feels". However, ND got so much applause from the gayming community that avoiding that would bring criticism. It would even be a bigger backlash if she's suddenly into guys when she gets older lol

Jobbs

Banned
Can you imagine E3 2016 and the teaser is
an older Ellie unleashing badassness all over the screen?

It'd be amazing. The only hesitation they might have with
revisiting Ellie is adding some kind of love interest. I just don't think the vast majority of the target audience is progressive enough to be comfortable with lesbian "feels". However, ND got so much applause from the gayming community that avoiding that would bring criticism. It would even be a bigger backlash if she's suddenly into guys when she gets older lol

I think if you write honestly and go where the story and characters take you, none of these issues really matter. Gay, bi, romance, no romance, none of it matters as long as the writing is honest and I would believe that's probably ND's thought as well.

Cloudy

Banned
I'd bet actual money on ellie starring in the sequel and joel being in it either not at all or almost not at all.

they've built up a big fanbse around ellie at this point, it's a hit title, and there's room for ellie to do more things. This was the perfect origin story. it'd be dumb, in my opinion, from all angles, to not bring her back.

Yep.
I bet she is even more popular than Drake right now. You can't not build the franchise around her IMO

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Humm maybe if you leave via the top floor you can sneak by. But if you stay, enemies sure as hell keep spawning.
I cleared out the whole place and then scoured it for supplies/optional convos. Maybe some kind of glitch when you played? If there was one left and you did the loud takedown they would have immediately been alerted.

She is an actual actor in tv and movies (most recently in Extant)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1156709/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

I thought she was great

I thought I just didn't like the character at first, but her delivery is just so flat and seems disinterested so that it feels like it goes beyond characterization. Normally, she'd be fine, but to me she's definitely weaker than Joel and Ellie and the gap stands out to me.

Annie Wersching.

She was Renee in Seasons 7 and 8 in 24.

I have never watched 24 in my life, but thanks.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. Tess isn't going to bug me anymore, I don't think.

krae_man

I cleared out the whole place and then scoured it for supplies/optional convos. Maybe some kind of glitch when you played? If there was one left and you did the loud takedown they would have immediately been alerted.

They spawned later after the loud kill. Noticed it again in the area just before the elevator shaft. I think part of it is if you break stealth early everything spawns at once but if you stay hidden there are multiple waves that just appear out of thin air.

Its like the combat area had 15 enemies in it and dammit youre gonna fight all 15 instead of "you took out the first 5 quiet, you're rewarded with the other 10 not spawning"

Top Bottom