• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

The
hotel basement
is killin me on grounded. Did they change the spawn position of
the bloater? Because now it's definitely blocking the door on the second floor when I totally remember it being on the bottom in the other difficulties. Now it looks like I have to kill it AND all the stalkers in order to escape.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The
hotel basement
the bloater? Because now it's definitely blocking the door on the second floor when I totally remember it being on the bottom in the other difficulties. Now it looks like I have to kill it AND all the stalkers in order to escape.
Just did it today. Quoting myself from the last page.
Grab the keycard and take out the four stalkers as they come. It's easiest to deal with them in the room above the generator somce tbey all come from one direction. After that head over to the exit and try the keycard slot to get the first attempt set. Drop down and start the generator. Wait a few seconds until after the screams stop the. Sprint up the middle rubble ramp, shotgun the one stalker crouching near the exit hallway, and GTFO

IndustryX

The
hotel basement

No just crouch walk straight from generator to the exit!! Wait for the bloater to drop down! That worked for me and there was not one enemy.

IndustryX

They spawned later after the loud kill. Noticed it again in the area just before the elevator shaft. I think part of it is if you break stealth early everything spawns at once but if you stay hidden there are multiple waves that just appear out of thin air.

Its like the combat area had 15 enemies in it and dammit youre gonna fight all 15 instead of "you took out the first 5 quiet, you're rewarded with the other 10 not spawning"

Theres 3 on the outside 3 on the ground floor and 4 upstairs..

krae_man

Theres 3 on the outside 3 on the ground floor and 4 upstairs..

If you are talking about the Bookstore there's way more.

You're not even supposed to go to the top floor first. If you go up the fire escape with focus on the enemies just instantly plop in up there when you're about 2 feet from the door. They just appear out of thin air mid conversation :lol

Anyone tried playing Left Behind where it fits into the main game. As in
playing it after joel gets rebarred and before David.
Seems like a cool idea.

Hoje0308

Banned
Grab the keycard and take out the four stalkers as they come. It's easiest to deal with them in the room above the generator somce tbey all come from one direction. After that head over to the exit and try the keycard slot to get the first attempt set. Drop down and start the generator. Wait a few seconds until after the screams stop the. Sprint up the middle rubble ramp, shotgun the one stalker crouching near the exit hallway, and GTFO

This is pretty much what I've been doing, except that I wait upstairs between the ramp and the room above the generator once I've started it. After everyone runs by I sprint toward the ramp, then round the corner and go straight at the door without having to use any ammo. It can be tricky if the AI decides it wants to make your life difficult, but I've managed to get it to work on Grounded and Grounded+ now.

Don't know why you would, doing it that way completely ruins the pacing of the story.

Really? I think it would fit in nicely specifically
starting right after Joel falls off the horse would be where Left Behind starts and then I would end it after Ellie carries Joel away on the sled, skipping the final Riley chapter and instead ending the Riley story on the gunshot when the clickers storm in. Then the game would pick up with Ellie hunting the deer.

Cloudy

Banned
Ugh at the hospital tunnel on Hard. I'm done for the night lol. I've put in 20+ hours on this. Was only 15 my first time on Normal

Such a great game

edit: Just checked my ps3 save. Took me almost 21 hours lol

stryke

Really? I think it would fit in nicely specifically
starting right after Joel falls off the horse would be where Left Behind starts and then I would end it after Ellie carries Joel away on the sled, skipping the final Riley chapter and instead ending the Riley story on the gunshot when the clickers storm in. Then the game would pick up with Ellie hunting the deer.

You don't have to explain it to me. I know exactly what you meant by splicing it in. It just would not work. The impact of
playing as Ellie for the first time to hunt the deer would be greatly diminished and there'd be no suspense regarding the state of Joel.

knitoe

The
hotel basement

No just crouch walk straight from generator to the exit!! Wait for the bloater to drop down! That worked for me and there was not one enemy.
Better way. The respawn placement is just changed in Grounded.
After getting the key card, at the electric generator, don't go up the incline to the right of it. Instead, you can just run through the bottom water area to the room with circle metal generators (?), up the stairs and left to the door needing the keycard. This route lets you avoid everything.

Better way. The respawn placement is just changed in Grounded.
After getting the key card, at the electric generator, don't go up the incline to the right of it. Instead, you can just run through the bottom water area to the room with circle metal generators (?), up the stairs and left to the door needing the keycard. This route lets you avoid everything.

Cool, thanks. i'll try these out. Gotta save dat ammo. I'm loving grounded so far, even if some of the checkpoints start at bullshit times like right before an unskippable part where they take away control for a minute, like at the one where you
get pulled upside down at Bill's
. That was so obnoxious.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Guys. What's the name of the Naughty Dog artist that draws the "cute" stuff?

He/she did stuff like
The dinosaur birthday card
Ellie's face poses in Left Behind
and the Naughty Dog Christmas card from a couple years ago.

I'm dying to know!

Jobbs

Banned
I'm doing my second playthrough of the main game. I'm pretty early, the part in the
school (edit: maybe not a school, but there are some lockers on the walls) with tess and ellie, the first area that has a large number of clickers in it.

last time through I snuck by most of them, as most people probably do here. I'm curious if clearing the area here opens some dialogue -- or, more to the point, does pretty much every area open dialogue if you clear it of enemies?

I was going to attempt to do this a bit ago, incidentally, and I was going to strangle out the runners first then fight the clickers -- but tess, two times now, has attacked the feasting runner on sight and aggroed the clickers. wtf XD

I'm loving the smoothness of the gameplay (so much better than on PS3), however, there are times when the characters in a few of the cutscenes move WAY too fast, like faster than a human can (or should) move. I wonder if they should have allowed a third option to do 60 FPS for gameplay and 30 FPS for cinematics.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I think if you write honestly and go where the story and characters take you, none of these issues really matter. Gay, bi, romance, no romance, none of it matters as long as the writing is honest and I would believe that's probably ND's thought as well.
(Left Behind spoilers)
It's a shame that no matter how well they'd handle the subject matter, ND will still be accused of forcing it down people's throats, or exploiting a hot new trend, or somehow "ruining" Ellie as a character, or some other baffling nonsense. Some have already said those exact things about Left Behind, and that was just an innocent young-love storyline. Those same misguided folks are gonna lose their goddam minds if a sequel ever featured an older Ellie in a more prominent same-sex relationship. It's a good thing ND doesn't seem to give a shit about that sort of aggressive ignorance.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finished the game today -- as a first time player (aside from an hour of the PS3 version before I got swamped with work), the game is even better than all the rants and raves I've heard. The best game I've played in YEARS actually.

I don't think anyone does characters better than Naughty Dog in gaming right now. The relationship between Joel and Ellie was completely believable and subdued in it's evolution, which is one of the rarest things in any entertainment medium, much less video games. I came to slowly understand the layers of Joel's personality and history and the reasoning behind his actions. I saw Ellie grow up before my eyes. I felt like I knew them. Just so much humanity in these characters. I believe that is this game's most impressive achievement.

The gameplay was also superb, as was the atmosphere and pretty much everything else. Damn. This fucking game, people.

Hubb

(Left Behind spoilers)
It's a shame that no matter how well they'd handle the subject matter, ND will still be accused of forcing it down people's throats, or exploiting a hot new trend, or somehow "ruining" Ellie as a character, or some other baffling nonsense. Some have already said those exact things about Left Behind, and that was just an innocent young-love storyline. Those same misguided folks are gonna lose their goddam minds if a sequel ever featured an older Ellie in a more prominent same-sex relationship. It's a good thing ND doesn't seem to give a shit about that sort of aggressive ignorance.

Honestly I like when the aggressive ignorance comes out. It is a slow process, but I like to think that 1 by 1 more and more people will realize they are alone in their hate.

Jobbs

Banned
Honestly I like when the aggressive ignorance comes out. It is a slow process, but I like to think that 1 by 1 more and more people will realize they are alone in their hate.

Fortunately I don't think aggressive ignorance matters one shit in this instance. Naughty Dog, quite fortunately, do not give a single fuck. They'll do whatever they want. XD

Sorta related little random thought here.. The other day some music video came on --
Zedd song -- And, you know, it's a pop song, and it's sort of fun -- And like we've seen many times, there's a cheesy little romance story between two pretty young characters sort of serving as the premise of the video. It just so happened that they were both female. And I just thought that was kind of nice. The corny pop music video romances don't always have to be the same.
Society is progressing -- Maybe slowly in some ways, but I think we're going in the right direction.

Hubb

Fortunately I don't think aggressive ignorance matters one shit in this instance. Naughty Dog, quite fortunately, do not give a single fuck. They'll do whatever they want. XD

Nah I'm not talking about ND or what they are going to do. I am talking about the people spewing it. If they come out and say it only to realize they are the only person amongst their friends to feel that way, it may change their view. Slow process.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Catalix

^posting separately so people won't accidentally quote spoilers

Nah I'm not talking about ND or what they are going to do. I am talking about the people spewing it. If they come out and say it only to realize they are the only person amongst their friends to feel that way, it may change their view. Slow process.
For sure.
Hopefully sooner or lately they'll realize they're getting way too apprehensive over nothing. And that it's perfectly okay for artists and writers to explore queer subject matter without it being considered "exploitative" or "insincere" all the time.

I'm loving the smoothness of the gameplay (so much better than on PS3), however, there are times when the characters in a few of the cutscenes move WAY too fast, like faster than a human can (or should) move. I wonder if they should have allowed a third option to do 60 FPS for gameplay and 30 FPS for cinematics.

65JmVJ1.gif

uhhh what?

Having never played Last of Us or Left Behind, I must say that I enjoyed Left Behind quite a bit more than Last of Us. Left Behind is done so well and ties in with Last of Us remarkably well.

Superflat

Anyone tried playing Left Behind where it fits into the main game. As in
playing it after joel gets rebarred and before David.
Seems like a cool idea.

That would be interesting to try, but I'm personally not a fan of the idea. I've heard some people suggest combining Left Behind into the main campaign, but that would greatly diminish the pacing and impact for a first-time player especially.

The point was to have you
start playing as Ellie immediately after Joel gets gravely injured by doing a calm, mundane task. It's created to be a complete contrast to what you as a player was just doing moments ago, in addition to giving you time and space to think about the fate of Joel the whole time you're hunting that deer.

Stoze

I'm considering going into PSN right now and buying this. I rented TLOU last year and never played the MP or Left Behind, so I wouldn't be wasting money in that sense.

I've been re-watching cutscenes and watching the GAF tournament, I don't think I can resist. Fuck it, I'm doing it, even though I have a ridiculous backlog.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I started Grounded yesterday. I can at least give it a try, since Survivor went pretty well.

Anyone have a good strategy for the room
just after you get the pistol, with one clicker and about 4 runners? I always get spotted by the runners. You have to take everyone out to let Tess & Ellie pass right?

I started Grounded yesterday. I can at least give it a try, since Survivor went pretty well.

just after you get the pistol, with one clicker and about 4 runners? I always get spotted by the runners. You have to take everyone out to let Tess & Ellie pass right?

you'd probably be better of finding a video on youtube or something. it's kind of complicated to explain.

Just finished Left Behind. Enjoyed it a lot even though it was a tad bit on the short side.

When
Ellie kissed Riley
I was like "woah!" lol. Wasn't expecting it. Don't know if this means
Ellie is a lesbian/bi
or if it was just a spur of the moment thing.

Also, they should have made the
Watergun fight
a multiplayer mode. It was pretty fun and I could see it being a blast in multiplayer.

Just did it. I head for the room behind you after you jump down. I either wait inside that room for the infected or follow him in. Once hes down i go towards the back area and wait for the very back one to make hes way towards the back. Gotta wait till he looks towards your direction then he will continue going to the back. Get him down and there should be a 2x4 there. Then move up closer and wait for the next one to cross your path and take him out. OR you can go after that lonely one up further. Since you have a 2x4 you could just smack the shit out of the clicker or throw a bottle at him and shiv.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Finished the game on Grounded yesterday, it wasn't too bad aside from two frustrating sections. Incredible game, gonna do my 4th and 5th playthroughs soon.

I'm getting somewhat frustrated by the seemingly forced encounters in sections. I'm not sure how to describe how far I am in the game accurately so I'll just generically spoiler for one of the encounters.

Sneaking past the armored car that the hunters have, I get to the next area, and the people seem to already know I'm there? I did not alert anyone.

I don't feel like this is the first time that has happened either, there was a section with some zombies, where I successfully snuck through a fairly complicated stealth section, then suddenly I inch around the corner and the entire horde just instantly knows I'm there and attacks, even though nothing saw or heard me. I repeated that section several times to confirm I didn't just stuff up the stealth.

Yeah I saw stuff like that too. Pretty terrible in places.

just had a game of survivors that my team was slaughtered in, but it was worth it on irony alone. One guy on our team had a PSN id with 'Killer' in the title and he died 4 times in a row with no kills assists or anything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just did it. I head for the room behind you after you jump down. I either wait inside that room for the infected or follow him in. Once hes down i go towards the back area and wait for the very back one to make hes way towards the back. Gotta wait till he looks towards your direction then he will continue going to the back. Get him down and there should be a 2x4 there. Then move up closer and wait for the next one to cross your path and take him out. OR you can go after that lonely one up further. Since you have a 2x4 you could just smack the shit out of the clicker or throw a bottle at him and shiv.

Thanks, but I think I'm done. I'm watching a grounded stream and apparently there's no checkpoint between the two big
hospital
encounters. Eh, nope :eek:

yeah, this team i'm with all wanna go solo, that happens a lot on survivor i've noticed, less so on supply raid, its also easier to achieve objectives in supply raid too.

bender

What time is it?
Thanks, but I think I'm done. I'm watching a grounded stream and apparently there's no checkpoint between the two big
hospital
encounters. Eh, nope :eek:

There isn't but luckily you can stealth the majority of the rooms. Just have a Molotov for the final two soldiers guarding the
operating room

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So I'm considering starting a New Game Plus, but I have a few questions.

1) The Grounded New Game Plus trick works on any difficulty? Or just Grounded?

2) Would I get all the lower New Game Plus trophies (Hard, Survivor, etc) for beating the game on NG+ Grounded?

3) How much harder is Grounded Than Survivor? Being that I just beat the game for the first time on Normal, being a fairly skilled gamer (but not amazing), does it have potential to frustrate the shit out of me?

4) Are there any bonuses for beating the game on NG+ or just Higher Difficulties (outfits, longer ending, special weapons, etc)?

Thanks guys

Catalix

I'm getting somewhat frustrated by the seemingly forced encounters in sections. I'm not sure how to describe how far I am in the game accurately so I'll just generically spoiler for one of the encounters.

Sneaking past the armored car that the hunters have, I get to the next area, and the people seem to already know I'm there? I did not alert anyone.

I don't feel like this is the first time that has happened either, there was a section with some zombies, where I successfully snuck through a fairly complicated stealth section, then suddenly I inch around the corner and the entire horde just instantly knows I'm there and attacks, even though nothing saw or heard me. I repeated that section several times to confirm I didn't just stuff up the stealth.
Was that right outside the
high school, when you're walking passed the last set of buses
? Always thought that particular auto alert was a little unfair.

Luckily they don't pull that type of shit too often. Well, as far as I remember.

Marvel

could never
I completed Grounded+ yesterday... felt so fucking good. For those that were asking and may have missed the answer, yes doing so unlocks all difficulty trophies! even the + ones.

Top Bottom