• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Was that right outside the
high school, when you're walking passed the last set of buses
? Always thought that particular auto alert was a little unfair.

Luckily they don't pull that type of shit too often. Well, as far as I remember.

Yes, that exact spot. Hate that shit in games.

kubus

Gonna start the Factions multiplayer for the first time now. I expect to get crushed :(

..that is, if they fixed it, because I've been staring at this matchmaking screen for at least 6 minutes now.

I didn't! I pushed on and already made it to the start of the
Bill
section. Passed the entire
post-Tess encounter (where you get the rifle)
without firing a single bullet :eek: This mode definitely changes your playstyle.
Awesome. I'm a little ways into
Bills
section. I actually just ran pass a lot of the encounters without firing or healing.

rafaelr

finally finished on grounded difficulty, overall that was really intense. at times it got frustrating (mostly due to fewer checkpoints), but it was definitely worth it.
one thing that really bugs me, is that both the conversations and the jokes trophies still seem to be bugged. i´m sure i got all the jokes, and i just loaded up the chapter with the one conversation where the prompt just wouldn´t appear during gameplay, but neither of the trophies has popped up so far.
at least i got the artifacts, comics and pendants, guess i gotta go for the conversations and jokes on new game plus.

I actually cant believe how crap the randoms i've played with in general are, I've lost several more interros than I've won and to make matters worse, not one match so far has been on Bookstore, Home Town, Suburbs or Bus Depot. Especially Hometown that map has never appeared so far :/

Things randoms have done

run around and do their own thing (this happens A LOT)
abandon a fight as I or others got there to reinforce
purposefully kill instead of interrogate enemies
watch me bleed out

my point is, if you play online you need to play as a team or the whole team will be picked off

thankfully I've maintained my colony of the game rather well despite this

ARGH THE ONE TIME HOME TOWN COMES UP EVERYONE VOTES FOR THE OTHER MAP >.<

well I got a match at suburns at least now, and my allies dont seem as bad as they were this morning thankfully

leng jai

As expected Left Behind doesn't hold up nearly as well on the second play through since there's not that much actual gameplay.

The brick throwing mini-game was much easier at 60fps though. I legit lol'ed when Ellie yells
"BRRRRIIIICCCKKKKK MAAASSSTTTTEERRRRR"

Stoze

Uh is the single player portion only like 10-15 gigs of the total 45? That downloaded way faster than I thought it would. Pretty cool that they let you choose which piece you want to DL first.

considering this was the first time I managed to get on the map in my entire time playing online, and it decides to crash in the final minute or so of said map.
Yeah OMG is an understatement, im lucky this crash didnt corrupt my save data as that error has done that to other people on other games before.

imagine if that crash happened to someone on a grounded playthrough and corrupted their save, saying that i'd recommend backing up saves just incase

Marvel

could never
considering this was the first time I managed to get on the map in my entire time playing online, and it decides to crash in the final minute or so of said map.
Yeah OMG is an understatement, im lucky this crash didnt corrupt my save data as that error has done that to other people on other games before.

imagine if that crash happened to someone on a grounded playthrough and corrupted their save, saying that i'd recommend backing up saves just incase

I feel you on that, sounds fucking annoying. GL though, keep at it I'm sure it'll come around again soon.

(and not crash lol)

Hubb

I'm getting somewhat frustrated by the seemingly forced encounters in sections. I'm not sure how to describe how far I am in the game accurately so I'll just generically spoiler for one of the encounters.

Sneaking past the armored car that the hunters have, I get to the next area, and the people seem to already know I'm there? I did not alert anyone.

You can stealth (or silently take down) past the
Armored car
for most of that encounter. Towards the very end of it I don't think you have a choice but to get spotted and
I think they do that on purpose so the armored car is chasing you instead of sitting in the middle when you are climbing the tops of the building.

A day later I'm still left feeling like Left Behind is one of the best gaming experiences I've had.

The perfect proof that a game doesn't need to be combat heavy. Great locations, characters, dialogue and pacing will always be better than combat after combat scenario.

But then the three or four combat scenarios were perfectly designed too. Loved the mix of thugs and infected. Alerting the infected to kill the thugs is so much fun.

Just perfect game design from start to finish.

Just finished the game on the PS4. What a bliss. Played on hard without the wallhack. Didn't even know how much more fun it is with the listening mode.

This was now the 3rd time I completed it and I will probably go for another round in Grounded. The only thing I dislike about it are the first 2 hours or so but it's probably because I've seen them way too often.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy shit I just had the best moment on Grounded. I just
rushed through the entire bookstore encounter in ch5. After the 3 easy stealth kills outside, I immediately took the ladder up, and evaded everyone til I got close to the exit. I then threw a brick at the guy guarding the door, KO'd him with a 2 by 4 and bam, I'm a ghost.

That was a rush. It was something I tried for the hell of it, and it worked out first try. Starting to love this difficulty. I approach most of the encounters differently than before.

Gekidami

Banned
Bookstore
on Grounded: Stealth kill all of the enemies, more just randomly spawn in out of nowhere.

So. Damn. Cheap.

EDIT: I also notice that at some points you can grab an enemy from behind without him seeing you, perfectly out of sign, and for no reason whatsoever the game will act as if you were spotted and every other enemy will be alerted.

Seriously, WTF? I dont recall that ever happening on Survivor on PS3.

BuqJ5HvCUAAJ1RJ.jpg:orig

:|

I just had that happen the other day in the PS3 original release in the same area;
That is the subway area right after you escape the capitol building and get to the first pallet 'puzzle', is it not?
. Might be a bug or something that's slipped by from the PS3 release to the PS4, because my other 5 runs or so in the game did not have that happen.
Bookstore
on Grounded: Stealth kill all of the enemies, more just randomly spawn in out of nowhere.

So. Damn. Cheap.

EDIT: I also notice that at some points you can grab an enemy from behind without him seeing you, perfectly out of sign, and for no reason whatsoever the game will act as if you were spotted and every other enemy will be alerted.

It's happened on PS3 a few times for me. Not sure why sometimes Joel will execute a 'combat' takedown instead of a stealth one when there are still enemies in the area and they haven't been alerted.

As to your first point, the only time I've had more spawn in that area is if you get enemies in an alerted state. However there are some parts that are like how you described. After my 3rd/4th attempt in the
Financial District
that you can't stealth the whole area after the second 'wave'. If you attempt to either the game will keep spawning guys until combat is initiated.

Hubb

;
That is the subway area right after you escape the capitol building and get to the first pallet 'puzzle', is it not?
. .

Yeah that is the area. Least it is a very short portion of the game, that is probably the only positive thing you can say about it.

TyrantII

It did. There's almost a random element added to stealth kills to if they'll alert nearby enemies.

First things first, as much as we want to stealth through this game, its not a steal game. Stealth is more just set you up for the attack and slulk away, not move through the game as the PETA/H man.

Cloudy

Banned

Are you strangling or shivving the enemies? Shiv is more silent

sjay1994

grounded is fucking hard.

Not knowing my health has killed me in so many ways it pisses me off. Not to mention the checkpointing is not as generous as it is in survivor.

Recent example

I am at the part where you give ellie a riffle to cover you

I only had 2 arrows and 2 rifle bullets. I choked out most of the guys, and arrowed the two guys who hangout on the top.

I then realize I have to shoot them now since I can't sneak up on them anymore so I shoot two armored guys, and then throw a bottle at another and insta kill him with a melee.

Only one left I see him, am about to throw a brick at him....

He shoots me once.... dead.

Restart the whole segment :/

Not to mention grounded brings up my biggest gripe with this game, as human enemies guns will phase out of existance when you strangle them and haven't fired a shot. But once they see you, they have infinite ammo.

This is fucking bullshit.

Although it has its moments, like in the book store. I stealthed by everyone, then tried to open the shiv door. They spot me as I open it. I loot everything as fast as I can.... and I ran out the door to the exit. They never landed a hit on me.

Superflat

Not sure how I passed this tunnel on Normal. I'm getting destroyed right now lol

As long as you can spot the runners ahead of time and arrow them down, I just crouch-walked through that entire section!

12 weeks seems a really long time tbh :/

It is :/

I love the actual MP matches and I think the metagame is interesting but man do they drag it out, lol. 84 matches to complete only one of the two MP campaigns. Never seen anything like that :U

Bookstore

I've had a situation happen where a guy would spot me a fraction of a second before i strangle him, but that still seemed to alert every guy to where I was, even if that guy was isolated and couldn't say anything lol

Thrakier

How do people, previosuly statisfied with the sub30FPS framerate of the original, think about 60FPS? Does it enhance/influence the gameplay? Does the immersion benefit? Or is it the same experience in your eyes?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Having completed the game and free DLC l liked the experience (l was playing hours per session) and was plain and simply hooked. I can't really compare this game to any other - it's unique in that you're slowly developing a relationship with another much younger character. I was glad the entire game wasn't a zombie fest (it would have bored me) and the mix of humans and infected really mixed things up. I certainly felt some emotions start and end of the game.

Really liked how you could build up your various weapons as that made you think a little on planning your next move. The stealth is something l love (it's a reason l really enjoy the Metal Gear series). You can really change the game dynamics, i.e., play stealth of all guns blazing. The sound effects when enemies are near by is a nice touch as is being able to see where they are from a short distance.

I'm not a multiplier fan when it comes to shooters so have not bothered. Visually l wasn't as impressed as Naughty Dog's Uncharted series (probably a reason why l overlooked on the PS3) but it looked nice enough and played pretty much at 60 fps. I did expect more for a remaster and they should have transferred more of the cut scene rendering into the game (there is a noticeable disparity in lighting for example). I felt the visuals were better from the start of the game and tailed off towards the end (there is one exception where one level was visually garbage - you'll know the one l mean). I noticed this when l restarted the game on grounded. I think l should have played a harder difficulty level as playing on grounded might be tough but it's actually quite satisfying.

I look forward to the sequel and hope Naught Dog can match the cut scene visuals, suppress the story (it's going to be hard to do so) such that it's keeps me hooked. I think Naughty Dog really are best in industry for that as they have a really good story interweaved into the main game.

How do people, previosuly statisfied with the sub30FPS framerate of the original, think about 60FPS? Does it enhance/influence the gameplay? Does the immersion benefit? Or is it the same experience in your eyes?

I was never really bothered by the framerate on PS3 minus a few significant drops. Just finished a run on PS4 and I noticed the gunplay being way easier. The combination of DS4 and 60fos does wonders. Hitting targets accurately and quickly was substantially easier.

As for immersion, it probably was a bit more immersive because there weren't any instances where I was taken out of it by the framerate going to shit.

Hubb

It was noticeable on the PS3, but never enough to pull me away from the game. I'll take the PS4 version over the PS3 version any day, but I am happy I didn't wait.

I guess it helps my immersion since I don't even think about the fps anymore while I am playing. Everything just seems so fluid.

Darknight

Was that right outside the
high school, when you're walking passed the last set of buses
? Always thought that particular auto alert was a little unfair.

Luckily they don't pull that type of shit too often. Well, as far as I remember.

I think that spot was done on purpose for the next scene where you guys jump over the fence and then a bunch of runners show up. If you stealth the previous section, how would they have seen/heard you guys going for the car+battery place?

It was cheap I admit since I did kill everyone in stealth before that surprise attack but I had fun in that I got on top of a bus and literally kick the shit out of the runners and they went flying down to their deaths lol.

Its nice but I think the resolution, textures and lighting make a much bigger difference. Tbh I tend to play as stealthy as possible so I don't treat the game as a twitch shooter.

Thrakier

It was noticeable on the PS3, but never enough to pull me away from the game. I'll take the PS4 version over the PS3 version any day, but I am happy I didn't wait.

I guess it helps my immersion since I don't even think about the fps anymore while I am playing. Everything just seems so fluid.

Would you describe it as "feeling more connected to the experience"? Like there isn't something between you and the interaction, just as you are actually in the game, more or less.

Top Bottom