• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Superflat

How do people, previosuly statisfied with the sub30FPS framerate of the original, think about 60FPS? Does it enhance/influence the gameplay? Does the immersion benefit? Or is it the same experience in your eyes?

it's honestly been hard to tell why the aiming feels better -- the dualshock 4 or 60 fps. Probably some mix of the two.

60fps adds a lot more fluidness to all the movements in the game, most noticeable in animations or camera pans. I switched back to 30 and the transition was jarring, but after a while my eyes adjust to 30 fps and I nearly forgot about it. 60 fps is def my preference though.

todd360

I have every single trophy in the remaster except the two gold multiplayer trophies. I feel like I have to grind through the multiplayer now. I like it. Its just that its really time consuming. I feel like i'm progressing really slowly. Only on week 4.

Superflat

I have every single trophy in the remaster except the two gold multiplayer trophies. I feel like I have to grind through the multiplayer now. I like it. Its just that its really time consuming. I feel like i'm progressing really slowly. Only on week 4.

That was me on the PS3, except I didn't get nearly far enough in MP/metagame kept fucking me over so I let those trophies go.

But not this time >:U

Ateron

Is anyone else experiencing some weird motion blur on some carácter models, especially in dark areas? It s Like a weird ghosting effect that older LCD sets used to have, thing is, it only becomes slightly aparent on NPCs and only in this game. I freaked out and tried other games (ground zeroes, watchdogs, infamous and KZ) and this weird effect wasn't present, so I'm hoping it's from the game, be it intencional or not. I'm 90% certain its not the tv, but i can't be too sure of that.

Hope they take notice of this and the gamma problems and address them in a future patch.

Other than that, I'm loving the game and I had already finished it 4 times on ps3. It still manages to amaze me :)

todd360

That was me on the PS3, except I didn't get nearly far enough in MP/metagame kept fucking me over so I let those trophies go.

But not this time >:U

We shall earn the platinum. Then years from now kids will ask us, "Are you the guy who platinumed the best game ever created?" Yes that was me. Here is a signed picture of the trophy. No, no its my pleasure you don't have to thank me.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
We shall earn the platinum. Then years from now kids will ask us, "Are you the guy who platinumed the best game ever created?" Yes that was me. Here is a signed picture of the trophy. No, no its my pleasure you don't have to thank me.
Lol :)

Is anyone else experiencing some weird motion blur on some carácter models, especially in dark areas? It s Like a weird ghosting effect that older LCD sets used to have, thing is, it only becomes slightly aparent on NPCs and only in this game. I freaked out and tried other games (ground zeroes, watchdogs, infamous and KZ) and this weird effect wasn't present, so I'm hoping it's from the game, be it intencional or not. I'm 90% certain its not the tv, but i can't be too sure of that.

Hope they take notice of this and the gamma problems and address them in a future patch.

Other than that, I'm loving the game and I had already finished it 4 times on ps3. It still manages to amaze me :)

Are you on 30 fps? I tried switching to it and had a weird motion blur that went away when I switched back to 60.

Only noticed it one time though and never again but it was in dark area when it happened

Ateron

Are you on 30 fps? I tried switching to it and had a weird motion blur that went away when I switched back to 60.

Only noticed it one time though and never again but it was in dark area when it happened

No, I'm always on 60! It's not very pronounced but it's definitely there, on certain backgrounds I can see that ghosting/trailing on Ellie's model, for instance. Especially in dark backdrops. What bugs me is the fact that it only shows up in this game and only on certain NPCs and areas. Even with Led mode on it still shows a little. It doesn't manifest itself on geometry, which is weird. I even tried Fifa to test it (as football games are notorious for showing ghosting on the ball) and there's no perceptible ghosting whatsoever.. It's very odd. :/

I thought Left Behind was absolutely fantastic. Great storytelling, strong character beats, great blend of humor, playfullness and serious drama, lots of variety and the same great gameplay of the main game.

Best DLC ever for me.

Gekidami

Banned
It's happened on PS3 a few times for me. Not sure why sometimes Joel will execute a 'combat' takedown instead of a stealth one when there are still enemies in the area and they haven't been alerted.
I remember that happening, i think its generally when the enemy is too far away from the others. Though it doesnt tend to alert the others when it does happen.

As to your first point, the only time I've had more spawn in that area is if you get enemies in an alerted state. However there are some parts that are like how you described. After my 3rd/4th attempt in the
Financial District
that you can't stealth the whole area after the second 'wave'. If you attempt to either the game will keep spawning guys until combat is initiated.
Its lame that the game clearly gives you the stealth option and when you do it its like "Nope" and just raises the odds till you fuck up. Thats really shoddy game design. Though what happened with me is that for the last enemy Joel did the none silent takedown because there was no one else around, and that does trigger the "spotted" sound yet the enemies that spawned in werent alerted, they were just walking around.

It did. There's almost a random element added to stealth kills to if they'll alert nearby enemies.

First things first, as much as we want to stealth through this game, its not a steal game. Stealth is more just set you up for the attack and slulk away, not move through the game as the PETA/H man.
The thing is its clearly a glitch, its happening with enemies that at other times i can kill with stealth and continue without being detected. Its not the game saying "this isnt a stealth section". If the game doesnt want us to stealth through some areas, those areas should be clear as in something obvious happens that alerts the enemy to Joel. As i've already said, unfairly throwing more shit at you is bad game design. Its done well in Uncharted, why not apply that here?

Are you strangling or shivving the enemies? Shiv is more silent
Strangle, but thats silent too, shiv is just faster. Its not a part of the game design, its clearly a glitch because despite the other enemies always following the same path, it'll totally randomly trigger the alert on rare occasions. And to boot, at the part where its happening the enemies are pretty far from one another, with a wall in between.

I've had a situation happen where a guy would spot me a fraction of a second before i strangle him, but that still seemed to alert every guy to where I was, even if that guy was isolated and couldn't say anything lol
Yeah, i hate that they're apparently 'telepathically' connected. Remember MGS2 where the enemies had to actually call on their radio and/or run up to others to alert them? Why didnt that become a standard in games? Even in Ground Zeroes, getting spotted by one enemy instantly alerts the whole base. Why not make it so that they have to realistically call out to their buddies?

Though in the case i mentioned, i wasnt even in front of the enemy, i was totally behind him.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I think that spot was done on purpose for the next scene where you guys jump over the fence and then a bunch of runners show up. If you stealth the previous section, how would they have seen/heard you guys going for the car+battery place?

It was cheap I admit since I did kill everyone in stealth before that surprise attack but I had fun in that I got on top of a bus and literally kick the shit out of the runners and they went flying down to their deaths lol.
It doesn't quite play out that way though.
The mob chasing you into the school doesn't seem to be a direct result of the bus yard ambush. When you guys are grabbing the ladder to cross the fence, it's during a "quiet" period anyway, because they make you kill off the entire surprise attack wave before proceeding.

They still could have had the mob chase sequence without making you get auto-detected in the bus yard earlier
. It would've played out exactly the same way. But the way it's set up, it feels like the player is being punished for correctly following the proper stealth protocol that they've been taught up until that point. That sort of thing doesn't happen in the game very often (the Financial District is another iffy area), but it's a design misstep I can't really overlook.

Man. Was it just me, or were the black levels during the rainy area at night with tess and ellie going through the tipped towers absolutely horrible? Their post process effects are messed there. I think they tried to go for a hazy effect but it completely looks like shit.

Hubb

Would you describe it as "feeling more connected to the experience"? Like there isn't something between you and the interaction, just as you are actually in the game, more or less.

I guess I'd have to go back to the PS3 version (since it has been 7 or so months since I've played it) to really tell just how big a difference it is. All I can say about this version is it feels fluid. Take that however you want to, but I do feel 60fps is the way to play the game.

They still could have had the mob chase sequence without making you get auto-detected in the bus yard earlier[/SPOILER]. It would've played out exactly the same way. But the way it's set up, it feels like the player is being punished for correctly following the proper stealth protocol that they've been taught up until that point. That sort of thing doesn't happen in the game very often (the Financial District is another iffy area), but it's a design misstep I can't really overlook.

I kind of wish they put a little scripted part there. Maybe have
Ellie or Bill walk ahead and trigger them. I guess it is there to add some chaos to the section, and to make sure you use some of your materials.
I'm not sure this fits into this game, but I look at it like an MMO. They need gold sinks, and this game needs you to spend you supplies. Grounded/Survivor wouldn't be nearly as hard if you never had to waste any.

I'm having trouble figuring out which Collectibles I need to find. I played New Game+ and I thought it'd only show me what I hadn't found yet, but it seems to even show stuff that I have collected already.

Can anyone explain the best way to do this? Also for some reason my supplements seem to have reset as well, even though I have the Trophy for those.

Hubb

I'm having trouble figuring out which Collectibles I need to find. I played New Game+ and I thought it'd only show me what I hadn't found yet, but it seems to even show stuff that I have collected already.

Can anyone explain the best way to do this? Also for some reason my supplements seem to have reset as well, even though I have the Trophy for those.

Well you can use chapter select and that should you you an X/X for collectibles. Some people have said that using chapter select might mess with some of your upgrades, but I personally haven't tried it.

Your supplements shouldn't have reset and neither should your weapon upgrades.

krae_man

Another tip just to be on the safe side, during your new game plus game, don't fully upgrade the pistols or the bow right away. Save all your scrap until the later guns and upgrade them first. That way if get all the way through the game a second time and don't have enough to level everything, you don't have to play 90% of the game again until you get the last weapon.

For Joel Upgrades, save one of the 50 point final upgrades for last just in case for the same reason.

Well you can use chapter select and that should you you an X/X for collectibles. Some people have said that using chapter select might mess with some of your upgrades, but I personally haven't tried it.

Your supplements shouldn't have reset and neither should your weapon upgrades.

I tried chapter select actually and I had the same issue. I actually completed New Game+, but I'm wondering if the game only saves stats from your first play through? That's the only explanation I can think of. I haven't got any later weapons yet to verify if they are upgraded or not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Another tip just to be on the safe side, during your new game plus game, don't fully upgrade the pistols or the bow right away. Save all your scrap until the later guns and upgrade them first. That way if get all the way through the game a second time and don't have enough to level everything, you don't have to play 90% of the game again until you get the last weapon.

For Joel Upgrades, save one of the 50 point final upgrades for last just in case for the same reason.

Yeah, I just screwed that up. Finished my second playthrough and still need ~150 scrap for El Diablo which sucks. Didn't think it would be a problem to get enough for that.

Also had some weird trophy pop ups, mainly the one for collecting everything coming up early, but also NOT getting the one for all conversations when this playthrough was specifically to get everything. If anyone had the same issue, try going to the college since it seems like the Firefly logo one is messed up since there's a few in the area, only one seems to actually count.

Oh, and I totally busted a trigger event in Winter.
When you regain control of Joel, the game breaks completetly if you actually kill the people that try and run away. I knew they were coming so I had the hunting rifle out, shot two with one bullet and it seemed like no one else spawned. At that section where you're supposed to be attacked by two people after you vault over, nobody comes and you can freely walk around that road. But by freely I mean once you pass a certain point all the geometry vanishes and you run around on nothingness.
I've noticed quite a few visual bugs and stuff like that, I'm almost kicking myself for selling the PS3 version as I'd like to compare a few different areas and can't now.

Hubb

I tried chapter select actually and I had the same issue. I actually completed New Game+, but I'm wondering if the game only saves stats from your first play through? That's the only explanation I can think of. I haven't got any later weapons yet to verify if they are upgraded or not.

That does sound weird. I had/have an issue where it didn't count some of my artifacts, so now I have to go back and get them for whatever reason. When I go to chapter select though it does show which chapters I am missing stuff from.

I'm not sure what your issue is, sounds like a glitch.

Papercuts

I think you need to actually load the file you beat the game with, then continue from there. It is kinda weird because you recollect the stuff you've picked up already(except training manuals), but the easiest way to make sure it worked is to aim a gun and see if it's swaying or not.

Just beat Left Behind for the first time and eh...

It was kind of weak tbh.

I thought the same.

Excellent and well thought out posts, guys.

Seriously, would you mind sharing why? I can't stand posts like these. Explain yourselves! That's what these threads are all about. I respect other peoples opinions and am genuinely curious as to why people don't enjoy certain aspects of this game.

You can quit a number of games in a row once they start to make the days progress faster. For instance I quit 4 games in a row starting at 50 healthy survivors and only got down to 30 something after that. You have to start the game for it to count as a day though. This can at least halve the time to completion though it does screw over your teammates so make sure not to do it as a party.

OneUh8

This is the reason I am not going to concern myself with getting the platinum trophy. I like the multiplayer alot, but I do not have the time. I am at week 7 right now with the first faction (fireflies). I "might" finish the full 12 weeks, but by that time Diablo 3 and then Destiny will be out. If those games were not coming soon, I could probably grind.

krae_man

Yeah it seems like the game glitches out sometimes.

During my first playthrough Ellie never pulled out the joke book while in the hotel, and during my second she never pulled it out while near the ice cream truck. I got that trophy fine on PS3 but during these playthroughs something fucks up and it never triggers.

Ferr986

Excellent and well thought out posts, guys.

Seriously, would you mind sharing why? I can't stand posts like these. Explain yourselves! That's what these threads are all about. I respect other peoples opinions and am genuinely curious as to why people don't enjoy certain aspects of this game.

For me
the flashback segments dragged on too long because it was basically a somewhat interactive cutscene. It started nice and fun and the characters were well done but after a while it got boring and I stopped caring about the kids.

I liked the last segment where you could make infected and soldiers beat up eachother though.

Garibaldi

I'm really having a hard time on grounded mode at the
dam.

This game can be seriously ruthless.

Let Tommy and his crew take the major heat in the first section. Save your ammo and brick a few if you can. Once Tommy shout get a move on (or something to that effect) leg it thru the right door vaulting out the window. Sprint onto the gangway. Tommy will clean up the rest you leave behind. Now ready a moltov and lob it just as the door opens at the end of the metal floor section. You'll kill everyone coming through. If not, again let Tommy mop up. Move into the last room and clear up. It's not too bad if you play it this way and get the gang with the Molotov.

Papercuts

Yeah it seems like the game glitches out sometimes.

During my first playthrough Ellie never pulled out the joke book while in the hotel, and during my second she never pulled it out while near the ice cream truck. I got that trophy fine on PS3 but during these playthroughs something fucks up and it never triggers.

I had to reload in the hotel for that one too. I think I went up the stairs a bit before doing what I had to which made her AI skip over it.

mstevens

I've beaten the game on Normal and now easy to max all my stats, and I can't decide if I want to do survivor+ or grounded+. I know grounded takes a lot more patience, but do you think there is some necessary skill difference that would keep someone capable of beating survivor from beating grounded?

I ask because I really want the plat, but if I could technically (read: ability wise) finish grounded, I'd obviously prefer that.

Mostly worried about the
beginning of winter
and some other forced battle spots.

does anyone hear play online and use the playstation camera mic for chat? Does it only use headsets for in game chat, I put my camera on and i dont even see that little speaker symbol by my name

Garibaldi

Do you think I should go for grounded them? I'm just crap at aiming.. so I'm worried I'll get halfway through the game and hit some wall that I literally can't do.

Personally, if you suck at aiming, I'd pop it on easy and practice. I play pretty stealthily only shooting when I needed to and found ammo extremely light on grounded. Some parts will be extremely difficult unless you can aim accurately. It's worth a play though. Its just how patience you can be and if you don't mind playing sections over and over again if you make a mistake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The beginning of Fall took me over an hour to finish on Grounded. Holy shit that part was a real pain. I've gotten through three major problem areas on Grounded today though so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Only one more that I'm worried about.

Draper

The beginning of Fall took me over an hour to finish on Grounded. Holy shit that part was a real pain. I've gotten through three major problem areas on Grounded today though so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Only one more that I'm worried about.

Same man. I just reached the ranch.

Garibaldi

Winter is coming!

Draper

Let Tommy and his crew take the major heat in the first section. Save your ammo and brick a few if you can. Once Tommy shout get a move on (or something to that effect) leg it thru the right door vaulting out the window. Sprint onto the gangway. Tommy will clean up the rest you leave behind. Now ready a moltov and lob it just as the door opens at the end of the metal floor section. You'll kill everyone coming through. If not, again let Tommy mop up. Move into the last room and clear up. It's not too bad if you play it this way and get the gang with the Molotov.

Thanks for the advice man although I'm only seeing after just completing that section :p I pretty much did just that with the exception of the molotov. Although I'm sure that would've helped.

MrS

Banned
Just finished my grounded+ run through. So punishing but definitely worth it.
The lack of checkpoints in The Firefly lab is so cruel.

Top Bottom