• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

psychotron

I just got to the school parking lot on my Grounded run. Damn, I forgot how bad this game gets your heart racing on the hardest difficulties. Besides the hanging upside down part, I've fired a total of 3 bullets. I have no idea how I'm going to get through this parking lot with it forcing combat on you.

Korten

Banned
So sad now... I just reached the end of Part 8 of that Rootwork Building youtube series by James Howell... :( Thought there would be more...

If you melee
Joel takes the knife right to the doctor's jugular

Fuck. The consequences for
humanity are just staggering. Yet I know why he does it.

Successfully setting up character conflict where each side is in the right yet completely opposed, is the kind of expert writing that is almost unheard of in video games. We need more of it.

/starts knitting a naughty dog flag.

delume

Man, the beginning of winter on my grounded run is killing my love of this game. Great scene but so repetitive and janky. It is like this scene has the power to suck any gaming ability out of me. Might dip into factions for a change of pace. :(

Pyrogeek

Grounded is a great challenge, but I'm close to throwing in the towel and dropping the difficulty to Hard or even Normal, just to experience the story at a good pace again. I've found myself stuck in certain parts where it takes 20+ attempts. I played through on PS3 once before to Spring before my schedule and other games pulled me away.

The high school section before the first Bloater boss in the gym, after the parking lot, took me two days. I just couldn't find a way to sneak to the gym and kept dying in combat due to low resources and no melee weapon to bottle-stun-whack the Clickers with.

Any general tips on being successful in Grounded? I try to take it slow and steady, avoiding all combat when possible.

Damn I thought it was nearing the end (like 75%).

Also is this a USA pandemic or a global epidemic?

The only indication I can recall of global effects is a newspaper article of
the UK shutting their borders to immigration. But even if the UK managed to quarantine itself, it wouldn't just be the US. All the Americas likely had fallen to it.
Any general tips on being successful in Grounded? I try to take it slow and steady, avoiding all combat when possible.

While it isn't always an option
like the bus/school section
, the more enemies you just outright avoid, the better.

Brick/bottle + melee in hit and run tactics (when in combat) is your best friend. Again, not always possible, but the best bet in collecting ammunition and quickly bringing opponents down. Shoot+melee will also do wonders with Infected. Keep in mind that bottles/bricks aren't as common.

If you have friendly NPCs with you, use them. They generally won't kill targets themselves, but if you can a hit in they can finish the job or vice versa. If they get grabbed (where a health timer will pop up over them), that can give you a free hit or two. Best bet is to keep them between you and whatever will kill you. They can take it better than you can.

Shivs are decent against Clickers, but their hearing is so good and it's rare to find them alone to where you may as well just save them for locked doors. Do your best to avoid them or do the maximum amount of damage you can if you have to engage. The infinite shivs thing is still in apparently, so if you want to go shiv happy then fulfill your desires.

Hotel basement:
Gather all the supplies, then grab the keycard. This will activate the first wave of Stalkers who'd otherwise attack you when trying to start the genie. Try and find a place to funnel them, using shoot+melee or head shots to be rid of them. These guys will hit hard and have a HUGE reach, so don't let them get too close. After they are dead, go to the door you'll use the keycard on and try to open it for Joel to realize he needs to use the key reader. If you wait to do it after starting the genie and having that Bloater and Stalkers on your ass, you'll likely be fungus shit as the game forces you to try the door. Now go down to the genie and start it. Activate it and make your way to the laundry room upstairs. Lure the Bloater in there and then run back into the main corridor and book it to temporary freedom.

Financial District:
This is where Ellie will provide sniper fire. This section is impossible to stealth completely, so you have two choices: hit them from the start or knock out the first wave through stealth and hit the next group. If you go for offensive, use a molotov/nailbomb (I'd require this for this option) to hit the 4 guys tight together talking about your handiwork. This will likely trigger the second wave, or put you a kill or two away. Stay in that general area right below Ellie to give yourself the best vantage point. Make your priority the molotov chuckers and the man providing overwatch (you should snipe him as your first gunshot from behind the hood of the van). If things get too hairy, loop around the map, preferably where resistance is lightest.

Financial District 2:
If you choose stealth, knock out the guy on the left and loop in that direction. There will be one in the bank, and then a guy at the end by the barricades (truck and rv). Shoot the guy on overwatch with an arrow and quickly choke out the man your following. Enter the diner, and wait for the man to move from the meat locker towards the alley. Deal with him, and cross the alley to the cafe. Deal with the pyromaniac coming down the stairs (do not hide behind the counter, stay by the alley door), and then move back to your starting area. There might be one guy (armored w/shotgun likely) left in the courtyard, so be cautious, but likely wave 2 will be searching the area from their spawns behind the barricades. Initiate combat with the heaviest damage you can inflict, and hit and run these fuckers with Ellie's support until the music stops/Joel stands and wipes his brow. Be mindful that you'll want to be proactive in ammo collection since anything dropped by enemies will disappear after the cutscene.

Sewer strategy:
When you are separated with Sam, creep forward and halt by the edge of the rafters before the open area. You'll see a patrolling Stalker in that area. Once she has her side/back to you, follow very slowly crouched. Do NOT move at full sneak speed, or you'll be detected by these abominations. Halt at the first pillar until she has her back to you as she enters a side room. Creep forward again (avoid the stationary one to your right) and make your way to the left and hug the wall of the staircase. There's a clicker and stalker in the room. Wait for the Stalker to pass, and creep (again, VERY SLOWLY) in the room and turn left to make your way to the final room. Enter and halt when you reach the slide in front of the clicker. Shoot it in the head with a bow or try your luck at shivving it, and then go through the motions with Sam to lower the ladder and make your way out. Be sure to shoot the Clicker at the slide or nearer to the clicker, or I found that the first patrolling Stalker I mentioned will detect your killing of the Clicker despite the bow being a stealth weapon. Now good luck with the stand off at the end of the section :p

Sniper:
Kill the first wave by hanging around the kitchen in the first house. Make your way down that side of the map, cross the street, and enter the sniper's house. Avoid the one or two men who patrol through the kitchen (use the island to avoid) and make your way upstairs. There you go, you just avoided a lot of pain (on top of what you likely suffered in the first wave of guys you had to go through).

I've only just reached
the University
, but I'll come back in and give more tips/strategies as they come.

How do you catch the moose?

NwMKS9cl.jpg

Its a deer

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grounded on Winter isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

First part of the attack was a lot harder than the one with the bloater.
I'm in the clear for my Grounded run now.
3AQmK.gif

woen

Just started my Grounded run. It's quite a shock since my my first play-through was on Easy. I played for 1h or 1h30, and I just reached
Robert and Marlene
. Need to use a lot of bricks, check on the guide where to find the artifacts, know the ennemies patterns, use a tons of bricks and bottles again. I just shot one
I though the hardest part with Grounded was not having listen mode, but you can always figure out where the ennemies are without it... You learn how to listen before ennemis spot you (and they can do it 1km away from you) Not knowing your health is a pain in the ass. You can always try to get spotted and count the balls / hits before you're killed. Hopefully we know our ammunitions.

And I know, it's just the start and it will get much much harder with real infected and tons of humans such as the
hotel basement, SLC tunnel, Bill's town etc etc etc

Now I hate checkpoints, especially the ones with the 1 minute script.

I beat the game and I'm playing the multiplayer. THe multiplayer is suprisingly good, a lot of neat twists and a general flow that takes more measured approaches to things. It kind reminds of the original gears of war's multiplayer except far more tactical. But I think I'm sad. It's like I've finished a really great television series and now I just feel lost without that story to plow through every night.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Just started my Grounded run. It's quite a shock since my my first play-through was on Easy. I played for 1h or 1h30, and I just reached
Robert and Marlene
. Need to use a lot of bricks, check on the guide where to find the artifacts, know the ennemies patterns, use a tons of bricks and bottles again. I just shot one
I though the hardest part with Grounded was not having listen mode, but you can always figure out where the ennemies are without it... You learn how to listen before ennemis spot you (and they can do it 1km away from you) Not knowing your health is a pain in the ass. You can always try to get spotted and count the balls / hits before you're killed. Hopefully we know our ammunitions.

And I know, it's just the start and it will get much much harder with real infected and tons of humans such as the
hotel basement, SLC tunnel, Bill's town etc etc etc

Now I hate checkpoints, especially the ones with the 1 minute script.

Advice: Don't use your Grounded run as your artifact collection run. In most situations, you're better off skipping combat entirely. This means walking past areas that might contain items or collectibles.

I just got to the school parking lot on my Grounded run. Damn, I forgot how bad this game gets your heart racing on the hardest difficulties. Besides the hanging upside down part, I've fired a total of 3 bullets. I have no idea how I'm going to get through this parking lot with it forcing combat on you.

The second part forces you into combat. What I did was run around and when I could isolate a runner I melee'd them. Bricks and bottles make things a bit quicker. I had to shoot one dead to get some breathing room though.

You can sneak up until the point where you go between the two buses. I don't think the infected before that part get involved in the encounter afterward.

woen

Advice: Don't use your Grounded run as your artifact collection run. In most situations, you're better off skipping combat entirely. This means walking past areas that might contain items or collectibles.

I don't expect to collect all of them on this run. I can still get what I missed on a NG+ right ?

100% endorse this message. Aside from
where Joel and Sam are in the community area of the sewer and the sniper roost
, I've been playing real combat heavy and paying the price.

fastmower

I just completed my grounded run. It really wasn't that bad with a little strategy help from YouTube. I had a freaking ton of ammo and supplies at the end of the game. This mode really opened up my eyes to how stealthy and efficient you can be.

foxdvd

Just got the final chapter left to do on grounded...Grounded has to be the most up and down difficulty spikes in game history. I am not saying it is the hardest game ever, just that whole chapters are really easy, especially after you have played the game a few times, and others have you wanting to pull your hair out. The hardest part by far is

Ellie fight with David near the elevator. The fight itself is not that bad, it is the fact I had one arrow and 1 sniper bullet starting this fight...oh my god I wanted to pull my game out and break it at one point...the real bad part was it seems on grounded that a mad clicker will sometimes just ignore a brick to the face, and you can't knife him....

I will have this done tomorrow night...

fastmower

Just got the final chapter left to do on grounded...Grounded has to be the most up and down difficulty spikes in game history. I am not saying it is the hardest game ever, just that whole chapters are really easy, especially after you have played the game a few times, and others have you wanting to pull your hair out. The hardest part by far is

Ellie fight with David near the elevator. The fight itself is not that bad, it is the fact I had one arrow and 1 sniper bullet starting this fight...oh my god I wanted to pull my game out and break it at one point...the real bad part was it seems on grounded that a mad clicker will sometimes just ignore a brick to the face, and you can't knife him....

I don't know how, but I started that fight with 4 arrows and 2 rifle bullets. The easiest way for me on this part it to camp in the middle of the bridge and use arrows on runners and bullets on the clickers. They should drop enough ammo for you to maintain this strategy. Once the bloater comes, throw the bomb first, then the Molotov...then maybe shoot him once (do this in the main area). If I missed a shot I would just start over... This took me about 15 mins of trying.

Superflat

At times like that you need a helpful AI, and
David
just so happens to be the most unhelpful AI companion in the game *_*

Both
David and Ellie vs Infected areas
were the hardest for me because there's no way to cheese it, especially when resource-starved. It got to a point where if I wasted a bullet or got hit, I restarted the checkpoint. And once you realize where enemies come from, it's to pure execution. It's pretty satisfying at the end of those sections because it plays out like a perfectly choreographed dance of death, lol

I don't know how, but I started that fight with 4 arrows and 2 rifle bullets. The easiest way for me on this part it to camp in the middle of the bridge and use arrows on runners and bullets on the clickers. They should drop enough ammo for you to maintain this strategy. Once the bloater comes, throw the bomb first, then the Molotov...then maybe shoot him once (do this in the main area). If I missed a shot I would just start over... This took me about 15 mins of trying.

I got to the bloater two or three times, only to die from stupid mistakes (missing a molotov, getting remotely near the spores, etc). Wanted to wreck my controller.

Alucrid

Banned
Sewer strategy:
When you are separated with Sam, creep forward and halt by the edge of the rafters before the open area. You'll see a patrolling Stalker in that area. Once she has her side/back to you, follow very slowly crouched. Do NOT move at full sneak speed, or you'll be detected by these abominations. Halt at the first pillar until she has her back to you as she enters a side room. Creep forward again (avoid the stationary one to your right) and make your way to the left and hug the wall of the staircase. There's a clicker and stalker in the room. Wait for the Stalker to pass, and creep (again, VERY SLOWLY) in the room and turn left to make your way to the final room. Enter and halt when you reach the slide in front of the clicker. Shoot it in the head with a bow or try your luck at shivving it, and then go through the motions with Sam to lower the ladder and make your way out. Be sure to shoot the Clicker at the slide or nearer to the clicker, or I found that the first patrolling Stalker I mentioned will detect your killing of the Clicker despite the bow being a stealth weapon. Now good luck with the stand off at the end of the section :p

I found the stand off to be pretty easy.

1) Go outside and wait near the corner of the railing on the right side. Wait until infected drop down and throw a molotov at them.
2) Run all the way back to the exit door. Use a smoke bomb when one infected charges at you. Melee him down.
3) You should be able to wait until Ellie gets the door open and then sneak out.

sjay1994

Just got to winter on my grounded run.

Honestly it hasn't been so bad. The only part that really pissed me off was the financial district.

I only had one 9mm bullet to do the whole thing.

1) Go outside and wait near the corner of the railing on the right side. Wait until infected drop down and throw a molotov at them.
2) Run all the way back to the exit door. Use a smoke bomb when one infected charges at you. Melee him down.
3) You should be able to wait until Ellie gets the door open and then sneak out.

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I did. Unfortunately, after that single runner the rest showed up sooner than I anticipated and things almost ended badly.

However, that is the best way to go about from previous runs and on this grounded run, despite how sideways things went for once.

sjay1994

Oddly enough, this was exactly what I did. Unfortunately, after that single runner the rest showed up sooner than I anticipated and things almost ended badly.

I had to waste two molotovs during the stand off because Henry kept punching infected far from me, and the game wouldn't let me leave the room, even though ellie was holding the door open for me.

What the fuck? God damn it

I was doing the section where Joel
gives Ellie the rifle in Pittsburgh.
I stealth kill everyone I can find but the encounter doesn't end. After a while I don't even bother sneaking anymore. After about 10 minutes of running around I find a guy in a spot I've checked at least 5 times. I get behind him and go for the choke but Joel does the knee to the face which alerts all the other enemies. What other enemies? I killed everyone. So I start sneaking around again and then I see a whole wave of enemies posted up on each end of the map but they don't know where I am. I mistakenly fire an arrow at an armoured guy. They all wake up. I fight them for a bit and finally some dude punches me once and I die.

The end.

fastmower

I stealth kill everyone I can find but the encounter doesn't end. After a while I don't even bother sneaking anymore. After about 10 minutes of running around I find a guy in a spot I've checked at least 5 times. I get behind him and go for the choke but Joel does the knee to the face which alerts all the other enemies. What other enemies? I killed everyone. So I start sneaking around again and then I see a whole wave of enemies posted up on each end of the map but they don't know where I am. I mistakenly fire an arrow at an armoured guy. They all wake up. I fight them for a bit and finally some dude punches me once and I die.

The end.

this is probably the longest encounter for me on grounded.

IndustryX

Even better if you get out into the hallway for step 1 lob the molotov directly into the room, up top that the first infected horde spawns, you will kill at least 6 or 7 of them.

Just finished the game for the first time ...my god what a satisfying but sad story.

One of my most favorite games now...up there with the original deus ex

Draper

Nah, I'd rather not watch a walk through, but thanks...and you've got to be kidding me, I made it to the way end then died....and they restart you at the waaaaaay beginning???

fastmower

Nah, I'd rather not watch a walk through, but thanks...and you've got to be kidding me, I made it to the way end then died....and they restart you at the waaaaaay beginning???

I'll give you a hint. You can make it to the top floor without alerting anyone in about 90 seconds.

Superflat

The end.

That's one of the few sections on Grounded where I had to count on improvising after stealthing the first wave. Couldn't really find a sure-fire way because they all come from flanking positions. I ended up retreating back to where Ellie was so she could stun and shoot the guys coming after me, giving me a few opportunities to shoot or melee the rest of the guys out.

Superflat

Ha, yeah, I've perfected that. It's just those 3 guys right outside the door at the end there...

i always keep a molly around for those three guys.

Molotovs are the only items I consistently have on hand because I never crafted a health kit on Grounded lol

Top Bottom