• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

image.php

What a coincidence ;)

I love your avi too! The orange outline is really nice.

Reached Winter.....

.....Now this is some next next level shit going in on Jeez.

Peobably one of the greatests, and Im not even done yet.

I love it Raptor!! :D

Lmao ^^^

My best friend showed this game to his Mother, like he does with most games he buys. She's usually not very interested, like most parents I suppose...but with this game, she actually sat and watched him play for a few hours and then asked if she could borrow his PS3 so she could play it herself, lmao.

There's just something about this game that makes people hooked and want to experience it themselves.

My parents are pretty old and haven't ever been interested in my games but they were even watching it when we were on vacation at the beach recently!

I have always wanted to game with my Dad or have him take an interest in it but he just doesn't have the interest. It is always awesome to hear about someone's parent(s) who do take an interest in it. I imagine as we all get older it will become more commonplace though.

My wife sat behind me and watched (while reading a book during the more raw gameplay-ish parts) the entire 15 hour campaign. She jokingly referred to it as a movie, e.g. "Are we going to watch the movie tonight or what?"

Also I forget; does the 2nd shiv upgrade make it so every shiv kill only takes off half durability from a shiv? If so then I'll probably upgrade to get that first, then maybe better control over aim.

When a clicker grabs you and you press triangle to shank it, you won't lose the whole shiv anymore, just part of the durability.

My wife cried like a baby after the opening. Then told me there's no way she could watch anymore.

That part is always tough, but it is also what really grabs you and pulls you in IMO. I can see how she would feel that way though. My wife can't watch anything that places babies in harm's way. She made me throw out our DVD of The Omen remake because of this, lol.

My wife sat behind me and watched (while reading a book during the more raw gameplay-ish parts) the entire 15 hour campaign. She jokingly referred to it as a movie, e.g. "Are we going to watch the movie tonight or what?"

My wife does this too at times. She did with this game and UC2 I think. She has done it with others but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

That part is always tough, but it is also what really grabs you and pulls you in IMO. I can see how she would feel that way though. My wife can't watch anything that places babies in harm's way. She made me throw out our DVD of The Omen remake because of this, lol.

It's a very emotional opening, as a father of two. I have no shame admitting My eyes were a bit watery.

Started survivor this weekend and holy crap, this game is so much easier the 2nd time through. Ive been more stealthy and conserving ammo. Im just before the financial district. The hardest part so far was the beginning of Pittsburg.

It's a very emotional opening, as a father of two. I have no shame admitting My eyes were a bit watery.
My teenaged son and I popped the game in and started playing, once the opening ended we both turned and looked at eachother with wide eyes & mouths open. We just sat there for a minute in total silence processing everything that just happened.

Quick question - I played the game on PS3 but not left behind so if this is answered there or I've missed it, please feel free to ignore me. Right at the start of the game, why did
Joel leave the house when Sarah was asleep? He had at least 8 missed calls so it doesn't seem likely he went outside to catch some air.

I know it's not important to the story, but it's always bugged me about the opening. I think it's great writing as it gives him an exterior life outside of your knowledge and makes him more interesting but it's always intrigued me!

Quick question - I played the game on PS3 but not left behind so if this is answered there or I've missed it, please feel free to ignore me. Right at the start of the game, why did
Joel leave the house when Sarah was asleep? He had at least 8 missed calls so it doesn't seem likely he went outside to catch some air.

I know it's not important to the story, but it's always bugged me about the opening. I think it's great writing as it gives him an exterior life outside of your knowledge and makes him more interesting but it's always intrigued me!

I just assumed he heard his neighbors doing stupid crap and went to go check on it. He said something like theres something wrong with the Smiths (forgot the actual name he says) when he gets back.

If my neighbors were being loud at 2AM, I wouldn't bring my phone or a gun with me when I went to see wtf was going on.

Good idea - but would it take up 8 missed calls?

And then, given that he's clearly left his phone behind, how does he know that it's Tommy arriving in the car? I'm overthinking this now, aren't I?

Barrylad

Neo Member
Another thing I JUST discovered after a year and six playthroughs:
the recorder that Joel finds on the dead Firefly in the university -- that he fast forwards through in the cutscene -- you can listen to it in full once gameplay resumes. Not much of note in there but it's neat.

Cloudy

Banned
Started survivor this weekend and holy crap, this game is so much easier the 2nd time through. Ive been more stealthy and conserving ammo. Im just before the financial district. The hardest part so far was the beginning of Pittsburg.

It's because there's less tension since you what to expect know in both the gameplay and in the story

PS: I beat the hospital tunnel just now and
it's pretty easy to stealth if you take out the runners with arrows. There is also 50 flamethrower ammo if you need it on the street corner before you enter the one room there filled with runners (I didn't go in. Did I miss a tag or comic in there?)

PS: Are bloaters blind and "deaf" like the clickers?

Jobbs

Banned
Near the end of winter in my second playthrough, and I noticed something interesting that I didn't notice my first playthrough.

On my first playthrough, I got the dialogue where Ellie gives Joel the photo of Sarah. For some reason, on this playthrough, I missed that.

So now, in winter, Ellie still has the photo in her inventory, and if you look at it, she says "I shoulda given this to him while I had the chance." If I was playing for the first time this might have made me think he's dead!

also,
exploring the campus during fall felt much drearier and cloudier than I remembered it being. Something about the dark grey sky was giving me weird vibes. Felt dream like.

anyway, winter really is the greatest act.
It just has this incredibly heavy mood, and the gameplay and combat feels more hardcore. It's not this (relatively) light hearted action game by this point. It feels heavy. Plus, it's simply more fun to play as Ellie than it is to play as Joel, for several different reasons, not the least of which being her sneakier, higher stakes mechanics and weapon selection are simply more interesting.

psychotron

Near the end of winter in my second playthrough, and I noticed something interesting that I didn't notice my first playthrough.

On my first playthrough, I got the dialogue where Ellie gives Joel the photo of Sarah. For some reason, on this playthrough, I missed that.

So now, in winter, Ellie still has the photo in her inventory, and if you look at it, she says "I shoulda given this to him while I had the chance." If I was playing for the first time this might have made me think he's dead!

also,
exploring the campus during fall felt much drearier and cloudier than I remembered it being. Something about the dark grey sky was giving me weird vibes. Felt dream like.

She gives him the picture after winter.

sense

also,

anyway, winter really is the greatest act.
It just has this incredibly heavy mood, and the gameplay and combat feels more hardcore. It's not this (relatively) light hearted action game by this point. It feels heavy. Plus, it's simply more fun to play as Ellie than it is to play as Joel, for several different reasons, not the least of which being her sneakier, higher stakes mechanics and weapon selection are simply more interesting.

ellie gives the picture after the winter section

Ferr986

really? I could swear she gave it to him around the campus during fall. it's been over a year since my first playthrough. oh well, my mistake.

she gave me the picture in Spring. First time playing it, I though it was the usual

I beat the game and the DLC on hard a few days ago and absolutely loved it. I'm replaying it on Survivor and have a question about Runners: can you not sneak up on the Runners who are walking around? I remember parts in the
sewers and university
where I would try to sneak up one and choke em up, but they would turn around and attack me.

It's because there's less tension since you what to expect know in both the gameplay and in the story

it's pretty easy to stealth if you take out the runners with arrows. There is also 50 flamethrower ammo if you need it on the street corner before you enter the one room there filled with runners (I didn't go in. Did I miss a tag or comic in there?)

Once they go into attack mode, Im pretty sure they have full sight. I stealthed past the one in the hotel basement and all the way to the door, but he still lobbed his spore ball at me once I got to the door. If they are passive, I think they behave like clickers.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I beat the game and the DLC on hard a few days ago and absolutely loved it. I'm replaying it on Survivor and have a question about Runners: can you not sneak up on the Runners who are walking around? I remember parts in the
sewers and university
where I would try to sneak up one and choke em up, but they would turn around and attack me.

You can. If you move too fast or get too close you'll get spotted. But you don't have to be all that close to initiate the grab, I always slowly tap triangle even when I'm not in range so I make the grab as soon as I possibly can.

Yes. Like Clickers, they use echolocation to 'see' where you are.

IndustryX

Started my third playthrough on easy just for a collectible run after beating hard then grounded+, this game is so laughable on the easy difficulty. I feel like Rambo after playing grounded!! Absolutely no incentive to play the game the way it should be played, definitely a better experience on grounded.

Inotti

How does the difficulty setting affect the game on higher difficulties? Are the enemies just stronger and are there more enemies? Does difficulty affect how you find ammo and other supplies?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How does the difficulty setting affect the game on higher difficulties? Are the enemies just stronger and are there more enemies? Does difficulty affect how you find ammo and other supplies?

Enemies are stronger and more alert. Survivor and Grounded both have substantially limited resources. Grounded also removes the HUD and reduces the number of checkpoints.

psychotron

On grounded, listen mode is disabled, there's no hud to tell you what your health/ammo is at, supplies are limited, you die much easier....it's no joke.

What the fuck? God damn it

I was doing the section where Joel
gives Ellie the rifle in Pittsburgh.
I stealth kill everyone I can find but the encounter doesn't end. After a while I don't even bother sneaking anymore. After about 10 minutes of running around I find a guy in a spot I've checked at least 5 times. I get behind him and go for the choke but Joel does the knee to the face which alerts all the other enemies. What other enemies? I killed everyone. So I start sneaking around again and then I see a whole wave of enemies posted up on each end of the map but they don't know where I am. I mistakenly fire an arrow at an armoured guy. They all wake up. I fight them for a bit and finally some dude punches me once and I die.

The end.

I stealth killed everyone I could find then the last two I found near a wall I took out with a molotov and while they burned a new enemy popped into existance between them and a few more appeared nearby.

That area is impossible to stealth, as they'll keep spawning in enemies until combat is initiated.

Basically you stealth the initial 5-7 guys and then take on the next wave in open combat, or you start off combat from the get go. Wrote a strategy a couple pages back for either encounter, but definitely was a bigger pain in the ass section than I had anticipated.

Artex

Banned
A real question for all you monsters. Early game spoiler who didn't kill
the guy begging to die with all the debris fallen on him just to keep the extra bullet?

I'm currently on my fifth play through and I've shot that bastard every time. Not out of mercy, but because its one of the most satisfying kills in the game :p

Inotti

On grounded, listen mode is disabled, there's no hud to tell you what your health/ammo is at, supplies are limited, you die much easier....it's no joke.

Enemies are stronger and more alert. Survivor and Grounded both have substantially limited resources. Grounded also removes the HUD and reduces the number of checkpoints.

Thanks! I just finished my first playthrought with normal difficulty and it was so much fun that I'm considering to play it again with higher difficulty.

And I never found out how listening mode worked. At some point game suggested me to use listening mode to find out where the enemy is but I just couldn't find any button to do that and didin't care enough to pause the game and look it up online. It's a bummer that there's no paper manual in PS4 version.

IndustryX

There is no listen mode on survivor and grounded, Enemies have much better aim, will flank you more often, more sensitive hearing, you take much less damage to die, FAR fewer supplies and very limited ammo. Same amount of enemies as far as I know.
Grounded also removes the HUD completely so you never know how many bullets are in the chamber or how much health you have.

BadHand

Got to Winter last night on Grounded and I'm doing OK with ammo/supplies. I've been stockpiling the heavy hitter items (scared to use them) and I have two nail bombs and two molotovs. Pistol/Revolver ammo seems to be the most rare and I only ever seem to have 1 bullet in each small weapon.

Most of my kills are melee or choke hold - I've always kept an upgraded melee weapon close. Currently rocking the upgraded axe.

I'm dreading the
horde of enemies while playing as Ellie (with David)
on grounded. The hardest part so far for me was cleaning out the
book store in Pittsburgh so I could get Ellie's joke #2
. Fun fact, that trophy glitched on me and didn't pop. Oh well, a 4th playthrough aint that bad.

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished it again. This is the first game I've ever finished twice if you don't count old school games you could finish in one sitting. Still the greatest thing I've ever played and I'm gonna start Survivor+ with the exploit in a few weeks :D

Man

'Ellie' (the actor) has a minor role in 'The Kiling' (series) as the pregnant wife of one of the more important characters. Watching it for the first time.

TRios Zen

snip

I'm really interested to see what she thinks of the ending...and the controller in general. What a game to be your very first playstation game.

I'll drop this here: as a predominantly Xbox player last gen I can honestly say that the Sixaxis (and it's predecessors) was always one of the reasons I preferred the Xbox. The Dual-Shock controller form-factor has killed my hands for three generations now (I'm always a multi-platform gamer).

This is NOT the case with the DS4, I'm happy to say. I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer it to the Xbox One controller, but I would say it is a non-issue when deciding which platform I'll buy a game on.

Finished my first playthrough of the game. It's actually the first campaign I completed from start to finish since Killzone: Shadowfall around PS4's launch and the first non-sports game I've played since around that time as well.

Certainly was an impeccably designed game. As someone virtually entirely removed from the gaming world (bought the PS4 on a whim, but have largely moved on from the medium), I was continually struck by the intelligent, gently paternalistic design of the game. Naughty Dog restricted user control and freedom in a way that benefited the end user experience without making the game feel prohibitively cramped, which is a pretty resounding accomplishment. Controls were tight, combat was varied, and level design was pretty tremendous as well.

At the end of the day, though, I thought it was a fairly ordinary experience. With all of its gameplay triumphs and flourishes, the game still felt as though it dragged on a bit. All of the refinement in the world couldn't save the game from the medium's typical trappings: the story was simultaneously derivative, melodramatic, and contrived; the internal morality of the game (up until the latter sections of the game) is never questioned; the game provides only a very finite amount of different types of encounters and setpieces.

Ultimately, TLoU serves as a consummate distillation of modern gaming but exhibits all of the flaws and callowness of a medium that still hasn't fully figured out a way to grow up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It appears the new PS4 edition has sold around 1.5 millions copies on Day 1! Supposedly that was all retail figures too.

Does anyone have a debate that remastered titles aren't great revenue?

It appears the new PS4 edition has sold around 1.5 millions copies on Day 1! Supposedly that was all retail figures too.

Does anyone have a debate that remastered titles aren't great revenue?

1.5 million?
WeeBay-Shocked-GIF.gif

What's the source on this?

EDIT: Alright, lots of sources. Wow, very impressive. Is this new thread worthy?

I thought about posting a new thread, but I couldn't find a credible source and I know the mods are sticklers about that. Here is the one I saw:

http://******************/the-last-of-us-remastered-day-1-sales.html

Yeah, lots of sites picking up the story but nothing official from Sony and the "source" seems like a huge question mark.

A thread on this would be locked instantly. Perhaps Sony is waiting until their presser at Gamescom to talk sales for it

Boke1879

Wow if this really sold 1.5 million copies on the PS4 then Sony were absolute geniuses in making this remaster. Wonder if it pushed any systems as well?

10 million consoles sold announcement tomorrow?

Top Bottom