• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Superflat

Wow if this really sold 1.5 million copies on the PS4 then Sony were absolute geniuses in making this remaster. Wonder if it pushed any systems as well?

10 million consoles sold announcement tomorrow?

Certainly pushed me to buy the system in July :p

And I already played it when it released on PS3.

Left Behind was superb. First time playing that as I didn't get it on PS3. Marvellous. Was a bit different to the main game which was nice. Lots of cool sections and photo opportunities. Loved it. Playing more Ellie was fun as well and seeing a bit more of her back story as well as filling in a bit of a gap in the main story.

Replaying the main game I felt it was better a second time round. I enjoyed it more and got into it more. Photo mode helped with my enjoyment a lot too. Brill game. Can't wait for more and where else they take it.

I'm about halfway through a Hard playthrough with the intention of going Survivor+ or Grounded+ next--what should I focus on in terms of upgrades for Joel and the weapons?

So far I've maxed out health and I'm trying to decide between listening distance or weapon sway to max next. It seems prudent to upgrade the beginning pistols first, but I'm open to suggestions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Beat the last area on Grounded in one go today :)

The shower of seven trophies was glorious but I'm never doing that mode again. Over 250 deaths
KuGsj.gif

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm about halfway through a Hard playthrough with the intention of going Survivor+ or Grounded+ next--what should I focus on in terms of upgrades for Joel and the weapons?

So far I've maxed out health and I'm trying to decide between listening distance or weapon sway to max next. It seems prudent to upgrade the beginning pistols first, but I'm open to suggestions.

Don't worry about listen distance, listen mode is disabled on Grounded and Survivor. Weapon sway could come in handy later in the game when landing headshots is a must.

NateGrigs

Listening ability is disabled in survivor/grounded so I wouldn't upgrade that

Edit: dang...beaten

IndustryX

Don't even touch listen distance. It's turned off on grounded and survivor. I'd upgrade weapon sway and crafting speed. on your guns do your best to up clip size, reload speed, and armour piercing rounds (helpful with bloaters and headshots for helmet wearing enemies) , oh and draw speed on the bow.

On Grounded mode, weapon sway and health is a must. Upgrade the revolver, shotgun, and bow. I have also noticed that if you splatter an enemy up close with the shotgun in Grounded it gives you ammo! If you chock them out or stealth kill you are out of luck.

Garibaldi

Well just completed my grounded run. Christ that was grueling from start to finish. Can I do an easy mode play through on new game plus without fucking up my save for a final grounded plus game? I don't fancy that stress again for at least a week.

Well just completed my grounded run. Christ that was grueling from start to finish. Can I do an easy mode play through on new game plus without fucking up my save for a final grounded plus game? I don't fancy that stress again for at least a week.

Won't be as bad with better weapons/pill power ups from the start.

Garibaldi

Won't be as bad with better weapons/pill power ups from the start.
Indeed it won't but I just fancied a nice easy, kill everything that ever wronged me in grounded mode run to sooth my 250+ deaths. If it knacks my save so I can't get grounded plus and all the collectibles on one save though I'll have to do grounded + first

Sh0k

Finished the game on hard yesterday night, fantastic game! Question, can I jump into Left Behind and then come back to my NG+ game after I finish Left Behind? Do you have to play the NG+ mode right away?

kubus

Finished the game on hard yesterday night, fantastic game! Question, can I jump into Left Behind and then come back to my NG+ game after I finish Left Behind? Do you have to play the NG+ mode right away?
Yep, left behind is its own save file!

Enjoy, Left Behind is wonderful.

sjay1994

Just beat grounded.

Overall not so bad, but the financial district was the biggest fucking difficulty spike I have seen in a long time.

sjay1994

Well now it's going to be easy
to get her to the Fireflies and Marlene, the world is saved, the vaccine is on his way.

Wasn't the reason
they wouldn't shoot Joel when he is carrying Ellie out of the hospital because they needed her alive?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I saved some footage doing the big financial district encounter on Grounded. Got it on my third try or so, very relieved.

here

Be kind, first time uploading gameplay of anything. Got some help from the AI and Ellie, but I did pretty well considering the limited resources. Don't mind the nervous weapon-switching. Tension is real in this mode.

Just beat the game. I don't understand why people say the ending was sad.
Other than the fact that there may very well be no cure. But Ellie was saved.

Superflat

Just beat the game. I don't understand why people say the ending was sad.
Other than the fact that there may very well be no cure. But Ellie was saved.

It's a little more complicated than that to say the least.

It's the circumstances in which it happened and how their relationship will never be the same

Khayam

Banned
Question guys for those who watched the Grounded making of of the game

http://youtu.be/yH5MgEbBOps

Does it contain spoilers ?

I'm at the very end of the game (like 94%) and I'd rather not take any risk. Also, I want to share if with a friend who's much earlier in the game.

Thanks.

I saved some footage doing the big financial district encounter on Grounded. Got it on my third try or so, very relieved.

here

Be kind, first time uploading gameplay of anything. Got some help from the AI and Ellie, but I did pretty well considering the limited resources. Don't mind the nervous weapon-switching. Tension is real in this mode.

I love watching how other people play through these areas! I especially loved the arrow to the guy with the molotov. It is so rewarding to see them drop it on themselves. :)

One thing I have found with the bow is to ALWAYS check the bodies after you take them out because probably 3/4 of the time the arrow will still be usable and you can scoop it back up. I got through that area using 1 arrow 5-6 times, lol!

EDIT: Now I am curious if it got captured automatically. I might upload it for comparison if it did, I remember thinking at the time it was pretty awesome because I didn't have anything in the way of ammo. I used 1 arrow and melee to get through it all. I love how grounded really makes you analyze things before running into situations.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love watching how other people play through these areas! I especially loved the arrow to the guy with the molotov. It is so rewarding to see them drop it on themselves. :)

One thing I have found with the bow is to ALWAYS check the bodies after you take them out because probably 3/4 of the time the arrow will still be usable and you can scoop it back up. I got through that area using 1 arrow 5-6 times, lol!

EDIT: Now I am curious if it got captured automatically. I might upload it for comparison if it did, I remember thinking at the time it was pretty awesome because I didn't have anything in the way of ammo. I used 1 arrow and melee to get through it all. I love how grounded really makes you analyze things before running into situations.

Thanks for watching! Yeah the molotov guys are hilarious. The bow is very useful on grounded for reusing arrows.

1 arrow and melee? Impressive. Yeah, Grounded has made me play this game differently. I never went up to the top floor of that building before in other runs.

Thanks for watching! Yeah the molotov guys are hilarious. Yeah the bow is very useful on grounded for reusing arrows.

1 arrow and melee? Impressive. Yeah, Grounded has made me play this game differently. I never went up to the top floor of that building before in other runs.

The more I think about it I think I had to use some ammo to when getting rushed by peeps. It still felt incredible using the one arrow repeatedly though. I really hope my ps4 captured it!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

here

Nice dramatic ending :p Melee weapon counters look so badass.

iHWAvHLJcGKXp.gif

Good stuff. That was actually the exact same strategy I ended up using.
Molotov the first group, head upstairs to take out the sniper, then hold down the fort in and around the little office room. It was the only location where I felt I had any sort of advantage. There are limited exit/entry points, the desks provide plenty of cover for stealth, and it's also still in Ellie's line of sniper fire so she can take dudes out sometimes.

MajorPain

I started playing this game the day it came out and have only managed to get about 1/4 of the way through it. But my opinion so far is the game is slow and boring. The story although good I am having a really hard time getting into the gameplay and find gun play frustrating at times.

Maybe I went in with my expectations being way too high with all the 10's and praise that the PS3 version received.

I started playing this game the day it came out and have only managed to get about 1/4 of the way through it. But my opinion so far is the game is slow and boring. The story although good I am having a really hard time getting into the gameplay and find gun play frustrating at times.

Maybe I went in with my expectations being way too high with all the 10's and praise that the PS3 version received.
Yeah my experience was the same. Presentation was top-notch and puzzles were interesting, but I hated all the shooting gameplay aspects. They weren't fun for me.

Just finished on Hard settings 5 seconds ago. Thanks to the people on this thread who convinced me to buy it, I loved it and really enjoyed playing through the story.

iHWAvHLJcGKXp.gif

Molotov the first group, head upstairs to take out the sniper, then hold down the fort in and around the little office room. It was the only location where I felt I had any sort of advantage. There are limited exit/entry points, the desks provide plenty of cover for stealth, and it's also still in Ellie's line of sniper fire so she can take dudes out sometimes.

I totally forgot that you could melee counter. Is that pressing triangle at the right moment?

I hated that room on grounded, since sometimes they'll all dog pile in there with little room to maneuver out over the trailer barricade. Ended up just hanging out by the deadman barriers and vehicles near where you start the section when it came to taking on wave 2. Only bad part about that is being open to the pyro bombers and flanking.

So I just watched someone else finish the campaign yesterday, and the final clicker encounter was glitched. The only enemies that showed up were three runners in a hall to the side of the tunnel. I'm pretty sure this has been a problem since the game came out last year. How has this not been fixed?

Someone convince me to go buy this. I already completed it on normal. What's new or worth it besides 1080p at 60fps?

All the season pass DLC, multiplayer and Left Behind.

Photo mode.

Record your brutality through PS4's Share.

Some improved modeling, shadows of what they kept in :p

Grounded difficulty (on PS3 too, but incentive for a fresh run on PS4 IMO)

Banderas

Pezus

Someone convince me to go buy this. I already completed it on normal. What's new or worth it besides 1080p at 60fps?

All the DLC? Have you played Left Behind?
1080p60FPS alone makes it worth it for me. Oh, and photomode is also very fun. I spend as much time taking cool looking photos as I do playing.

Raptor

Yeah my experience was the same. Presentation was top-notch and puzzles were interesting, but I hated all the shooting gameplay aspects. They weren't fun for me.

Why? because in this game we can't shot and pray like Gears for instance?

This game has without a doubt the most satisfying gunplay in a third person shoother since Gears of War games, is even better because is more realistic.

The feedback is unmatched.

Darknight

here

I am actually at this part and its not difficult at all. The challenge is not to get seen. With patience, you can over come this level easily. I managed to take out all the first dudes stealthly plus 2 or 3 of the next wave but foolishly tried to punch a guy but I didnt land it right and he knocked me out so I quit to relax as I had played for like 2-3 hours till that part. When I boot it back up, Im gonna beat this shit easily. (would record but gonna take more than 15 mins.)

Like when you had to get that ladder and use it as a plank. Basically any part were there's no zombies or shooters.

Why? because in this game we can't shot and pray like Gears for instance?

This game has without a doubt the most satisfying gunplay in a third person shoother since Gears of War games, is even better because is more realistic.

The feedback is unmatched.

Buddy, that's just my opinion. I didn't like the gunplay. I vastly preferred Uncharted's gunplay.

Darknight

iHWAvHLJcGKXp.gif

Holy shit this is the first time I've seen such a thing!! o_O

How do you do it? I wish button prompts would still show for Grounded which is what Im playing. Would make "countering" easier as sometimes its hard to read a certain animation. Some hunter was chocking me at the Hotel part and all I saw was Joel struggling. I wonder if I had pushed Square a bunch of times would have freed me.

Raptor

Like when you had to get that ladder and use it as a plank. Basically any part were there's no zombies or shooters.

Buddy, that's just my opinion. I didn't like the gunplay. I vastly preferred Uncharted's gunplay.

Figured as much.

I know is your opinion, we all have our opinions here and mine is that Uncharted gunplay is bad while this is game is good there is games for all YAY!!

Jobbs

Banned
Just finished my TLOU: RM, which is my second playthrough. Before this the last time I played was at PS3 release.

Some things felt different than they did last time. Certain segments that felt longer last time, for whatever reason, felt shorter this time. I think the tension of not knowing makes things feel longer, apparently. :)

While the game looks generally good, I noticed some oddness here and there, and the occasional "that thing looks like it's moving way too fast" graphical oddity. I also noticed the game liked to frequently prompt me with "hold X to equip over current slot" message throughout the game, even when no weapon is around to pick up. It just randomly prompts me with it.

Anyway, what I was left thinking about, as with the first time I finished the game, was how it ended.
Last time, I was focused mostly on Joel's lie and what Ellie's reaction to it meant, as well as the morality of what Joel did at Firefly HQ (in my opinion he did what any parent would do, particularly in a brutal postapocalyptic setting, but this has already been discussed to death and needn't be any further). I accepted initially that Ellie was quite troubled and conflicted about what Joel did and that he lied, but without more information I couldn't bring that into clearer focus. At a developer conference later on, last year, Druckmann basically spelled out what it all meant, that Ellie's reaction to Joel's lie wasn't at all complicit, and was more defiant -- "I realize I can't stay with you". I accepted that when he said it, but having played the entire game freshly now I just find myself with yet more questions. Something just doesn't feel complete here.

By the later acts of the game, Ellie is utterly attached to Joel. That's what the writing tells us again and again. When Henry abandons Joel, Ellie jumps back down "We stick together". She has a very troubled reaction to the thought of Joel leaving her with Tommy, later on, and, of course, she quite famously goes to extreme lengths to care for Joel from the moment he is injured. When she is surviving clicker attacks along with David, and still not quite sure what David's all about, she almost becomes Joel. She keeps saying to David things that Joel has said -- For example, When David asks "are you okay?" She says "You don't have to worry about me", which is precisely what Joel said to Ellie earlier on. It's clear by this how much she looks up to him.

So why is it, then, that she seems to sort of lack perspective or empathy on this whole matter, all of the sudden, when it comes to Joel's lie? She knows he's lying, I think that's clear, but what exactly does she think happened? If her estimation of how events with the Fireflies played out is roughly accurate, which seems to be the case by Druckmann's presentation, then what is it she expects Joel to have done? She stuck with him no matter what, she went to the end of the world to save him. Why would she not be more understanding, then, when Joel does the same for her?

Not long before getting to Firefly HQ, Joel says to Ellie "I'm not leaving without you". Did she think he simply... would?

Top Bottom