• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Jobbs

Banned
I'm terribly sorry that I would have liked some sort of conclusion out of a game that apparently has a great story.

I think the game does have a conclusion -- It's just a bit more subtle. The focus of the plot isn't saving the world. If it was, I'd agree that there's no real conclusion. But it's not. It's a story about two characters, each with their own story arc. Joel's arc reaches the end by giving up every single thing there is to give up in order to save this girl. Ellie's arc reaches its end by her sort of awakening and becoming fully independent. And that's what the final line is all about -- Closing those two arcs. At once Joel is putting his relationship with Ellie at risk to protect Ellie, (the final thing he has left to give up) and Ellie is realizing she has to sort of be on her own. These two arcs have been built up the entire game and this final line is how they both reach their final point -- "To the end of the line", as Druckmann put it.

but even still, it's not simple. as others have pointed out, it's quite fitting that the ending is sort of grey, because the game is full of grey. it won't be some cut and dry matter of ellie never speaking to joel again (as evidenced by the scene Druckmann wrote for the live show) or that everyone's living happily ever after. It's just one more phase of Ellie's journey (which begins with the comics, continues with left behind, followed by the events of the main game), who really is the main protagonist of TLOU, and whose journey will continue in the next game. If you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. This was her origin story.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I was pretty caught up in the game the first time I played through it, and after finishing it took several days before I got back to normal. I know that sounds weird, but the emotions and emotional themes in the game stirred something up in me, and while the story and characters aren't real, emotions are real.

I am exactly like this.

I was sceptical about the game as a game, but now I'm absolutely converted. I'm reading through the discussion regarding the characters and thinking even more about their motivations and actions.

I was going to post a detailed ramble about my response to it but the truth is I can't quite put my finger on it. For now I'm going to focus on survivor mode (my first playthrough was on hard), the multiplayer and listening to the amazing soundtrack. I'm saving Left Behind for a special occasion :)

Edit- and the ending was perfect. I hope there is no sequel.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally got my platinum trophy!

I am debating whether I want to do a Grounded mode playthrough though and get those two beautiful good trophies!

JB1981

Have a clip from my playthrough in the Hotel that I want to upload to YouTube. What's the best way to do that? Copy to USB stick and then upload to YouTube on PC?

Help me GAF

Right, playing through on Surviour. No problems. Grabbing all the collectibles as I go. Got to the bit with the thick snow in chapter 9 and I don't have a full shiv to open a door. SO ANNOYING. I haven't used a shiv once and have obsessively hunted for scissors etc.

How do I go about righting this wrong? Do I have to play through it again? If I jump to the chapter I will still be shiv-less. Gaaaah
I'd rather someone else chime in here, as I'm no expert, but it was discussed earlier in this thread that on Survivor you simply don't get enough shiv supplies to open all of the doors. Which, as you've alluded to, sucks.

NateGrigs

I'd rather someone else chime in here, as I'm no expert, but it was discussed earlier in this thread that on Survivor you simply don't get enough shiv supplies to open all of the doors. Which, as you've alluded to, sucks.

Isn't there an infinite shiv glitch? Has that been patched?

vpance

They need to work on the AI a bit more for the sequel. Got to the financial district and stealth killed all of the first wave, and then the game spawns sets of guys standing side to side. I stealth kill one of them from afar and his buddy has absolutely no reaction to it.

Even though its only my 2nd playthrough the game is so much easier because you're familiar with the enemy placements. It's still fun but it'll never be like the first run through where chaos was happening at any moment.

The supplies you get on easier difficulties makes the game so easy to play. After going through on Survivor twice last year and Grounded a couple times this year, I've become so familiar with the game that run-and-gun tactics are easily executed. Speaking of which, I've become fond of taking hostages and then executing them after I kill their friends. Revenge Joel is the best Joel.

That is so true. I know having maxed skills and weapons is helping me immensely. And yes, revenge Joel is absolutely the best Joel! :p

frogger

Several hours into the game now. Is the game going to be like a stealth game for the rest of game or is it going to become a shooter? Game started way too slow for me.

BadAss2961

Quick question... I completed the game and want to do a survivor run. Should I start a new game, or is there any kind of NG+ option where collectibles will carry over?

Curufinwe

Somehow I got the the Everything we've been through trophy halfway thru my NG+ playthru when I hadn't purchased the second Shiv upgrade.

milkham

Quick question... I completed the game and want to do a survivor run. Should I start a new game, or is there any kind of NG+ option where collectibles will carry over?

you can do it by starting a new game plus on the difficulty you already completed, playing through the prologue then exit to main menu, go to chapter select and then choosing the prologue and then choosing your desired difficulty.

Somehow I got the the Everything we've been through trophy halfway thru my NG+ playthru when I hadn't purchased the second Shiv upgrade.

you dont need shiv upgrades or listening upgrades to get that, since you can't do listening on survivor or shiv upgrades in easy

SkylineRKR

Goddamn Left Behind was excellent. One of the best DLC I've played in a while.

The writing is fucking excellent. In such a short time you can feel the chemistry and character building is grand. So many great moments in such a little piece of game.

Finished it in one sitting, couldn't stop. Masterful.

BadAss2961

you can do it by starting a new game plus on the difficulty you already completed, playing through the prologue then exit to main menu, go to chapter select and then choosing the prologue and then choosing your desired difficulty.
Thanks. I was just reading up on this and wondering if it still works.

So much fucking suspense in this hotel basement, I have to keep taking breaks.

Haven't used the generator yet and I can't remember from the good ol' PS3 version - does stuff spawn after the generator is fully on or after you just touch it?

One thing I noticed for the first time in the Winter chapter was that
after you escape and bite David as Ellie, you can overhear David talking to a woman and telling her to get all the kids and escape. I always thought the group was a bunch of cannibalist thugs and that David lied when he said there were women and children. That changes how I viewed that chapter as a whole, Joel and Ellie are the true bad guys. It makes me wonder what would've happened at the dam town had Tommy not stepped it.

Also, I am convinced that the movie should just be
the Winter chapter with a flashback to the University of Colorado chapter.

So much fucking suspense in this hotel basement, I have to keep taking breaks.

Haven't used the generator yet and I can't remember from the good ol' PS3 version - does stuff spawn after the generator is fully on or after you just touch it?

There are a few enemies that will attack you beforehand, but the hoard isn't summoned until you turn on the generator.

One thing I noticed for the first time in the Winter chapter was that
after you escape and bite David as Ellie, you can overhear David talking to a woman and telling her to get all the kids and escape. I always thought the group was a bunch of cannibalist thugs and that David lied when he said there were women and children. That changes how I viewed that chapter as a whole, Joel and Ellie are the true bad guys. It makes me wonder what would've happened at the dam town had Tommy not stepped it.

Also, I am convinced that the movie should just be
the Winter chapter with a flashback to the University of Colorado chapter.

There are a few enemies that will attack you beforehand, but the hoard isn't summoned until you turn on the generator.

I summoned everything and then just ran past it all and out the door because fuuuuck that.

Thanks GAF, I have been playing as suggested for first playthrough, without Listen Mode and on Hard, and a blast it is.

Since yesterday and today and I am enjoying the game a lot, I feel tension but not in a way that takes back the fun, I play it as a survival simulator.

Between this and Wolfenstein I am very happy.

Juz

Just finished my first playthrough.

Absolutely fantastic. Loved every second of it, especially winter.

Gonna start Left Behind tomorrow and after that decide if I'm up for grounded :).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Okay I'm facing my first serious hurdle in Grounded. I'm at the
standoff with Ellie that ends with a bloater. I'm one hit away from death when the checkpoint starts and I have 1 arrow and 3 rifle bullets. My usual tactic of defending the bridge is hard, since I have to rely on ammo drops.

I had 90 deaths up until that part, and that alone set me back 40. With no success mind. Just brutal.

[HP]

Okay I'm facing my first serious hurdle in Grounded. I'm at the
standoff with Ellie that ends with a bloater. I'm one hit away from death when the checkpoint starts and I have 1 arrow and 3 rifle bullets. My usual tactic of defending the bridge is hard, since I have to rely on ammo drops.

I had 90 deaths up until that part, and that alone set me back 40. With no success mind. Just brutal.

Yeah, always save ammo for bloater boss parts.

[HP]

I recommend saving the Hunting rifle ammo for any bloater encounters which can't be stealth-ed.

Exactly, if you aim to the weak parts on his body. (Those weird things he throws at you) it can actually be a easy encounter if youre snappy enough.

Just was able to stealth my way through the library section in Pittsburgh. Didn't kill or alert a single person. Then after two failed attempts, I was able to do the same through the hotel! Playing on Grounded btw and never been so proud of myself, lol.
Love going into aiming mode and just follow clickers around. Like I'm not even there.

ThisOne

Finally was able to get past the part that kept crashing on me. I'm having fun with this game, like I did with the PS3 version. One thing that bugged me then and still bugs me is the inconsistent AI. sometimes I repeat a section after dying near the end and enemies will react completely differently than my previous attempt. Like sometimes they'll hear me strangle a runner and other times they won't despite them being the exact same distance away. It just makes certain parts more frustrating than fun.

I just uploaded my first share factory video to YouTube. It is really basic but it is cool to be able to publish something so easily.

If you check it out
DO IT!
pay attention at about 1:34. I had some weird relaxing glitch happening with my rifle. I think it started when I switched to my rifle early and quickly switched to something else while it was reloading. Starting at 1:34 something magical happens with the glitch and the music!

TLOU: Remastered - Financial District Part 2 - Gr…: http://youtu.be/Ip-HgbNeU5U

kpaadet

Was going through Grounded + for platnium and while I love the new difficulty setting I think one the the collectible trophies bugged on me. I'll probably replay on easy to get it though.

Portugeezer

Just finished Left Behind.

Disappointed that it doesn't explain how Ellie's friend died; whether Ellie had to shoot her when she turned, to save her own life

The ending of this game is amazing to the point that its still discussed one year on. It amazes me the amount of people who think it would be better with one that probably wouldn't be discussed at all.

Superflat

Alright, as far as the main game is concerned, I only have the two MP Journey trophies to go. Finally got the missing shiv door (which I was sure I opened before) and upgraded all my weapons to max on a NG++.

It amazes me the number of people who feel the story wasn't great but would have been better if it was a total cliche instead. I guess that cliches really are cliches because people like things that way.

Cliches and tropes are such because they're actually good ideas to start with -- they only become a negative thing when they're used to prop up a bad story or used improperly.

And of course they usually stand out the most when you can tell they're used improperly lol

Hubb

Just finished Left Behind.

Disappointed that it doesn't explain how Ellie's friend died; whether Ellie had to shoot her when she turned, to save her own life

There is a good chance she
Shot her. She had Riley's Tag, and from what Ellie said, it made it seem she found Marlene after Riley was already dead.

antitrop

Thanks GAF, I have been playing as suggested for first playthrough, without Listen Mode and on Hard, and a blast it is.

Since yesterday and today and I am enjoying the game a lot, I feel tension but not in a way that takes back the fun, I play it as a survival simulator.

Between this and Wolfenstein I am very happy.

The Last of Us and Wolfenstein are very similar in that the deeper you dig into the the lore of the games, the better they get.

Missing out on the alternate history newspaper clippings in Wolfenstein or the journals and notes left behind by previous survivors in The Last of Us is missing out on a huge part of either game.

Superflat

There is a good chance she
Shot her. She had Riley's Tag, and from what Ellie said, it made it seem she found Marlene after Riley was already dead.

Didn't Riley rip the tag from her neck and drop it back where they had the watergun fight? i just assumed that at some point, Ellie went back and retrieved it.

Did they patch the messed up gamma/contrast ratio? This game is either totally washed out or has crushed blacks. Their is no middle ground.

I tested all my other games (infamous, killzone, thief, TR DE, AC BF, Wolfenstein). All have right ratios and look great, its only with LoUS - the picture/gamma balance is just off in this game.

My PS4 is set to RGB normal/limited as is my Pana Plasma.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
[HP];125099162 said:
Yeah, always save ammo for bloater boss parts.

[HP];125100251 said:
Exactly, if you aim to the weak parts on his body. (Those weird things he throws at you) it can actually be a easy encounter if youre snappy enough.

Thanks. I knew it was coming, but I thought I'd get more stuff pre-encounter. There's nothing.

Does anyone know if you can restart a chapter in NG+ (through ch. select), if it still 'counts' as NG+? I'd rather restart this chapter entirely. 4 pieces of ammo total and no health is a nightmare to begin with.

milkham

Thanks. I knew it was coming, but I thought I'd get more stuff pre-encounter. There's nothing.

Does anyone know if you can restart a chapter in NG+ (through ch. select), if it still 'counts' as NG+? I'd rather restart this chapter entirely. 4 pieces of ammo total and no health is a nightmare to begin with.

What could you really do differently though? You can't conserve ammo in the first part of the chapter since there are no bricks, unless you were shooting at clickers in between hordes you could end up in the same situation and in regards to your health, its practically all one hit kills anyway. I ended up in the same situation on monday, 2 rifle bullets and 2 arrows, luckily i found a third arrow on the table but I just couldn't do it. I took a break and tried again yesterday and finally managed it. I think if you stick with it you can do it, and the rest of the game is cake in comparison.

Roughly the pattern that ended up working for me
was, take the first 3 runners by brick, bottle and stabbing while struggling with david, rifle the two clickers coming up from the bridge, grab another brick, run down the bridge and use 2 arrows on the runners as they drop in or brick/stab if i miss one. turn around hopefully either picked up the arrows or got rifle ammo off the first two clickers, shoot as they come or stab if theres room and david is punching or struggling with one, move forward to check for ammo and because there will be another coming from the back of the bridge. when there was a brief quiet period run to get a bottle and check the corpses for more ammo. used molotov and nail bomb on bloater but he still didnt die, shot him twice with the rifle and he dropped more rifle bullets so i could finish off the last few guys running around.

basically had to arrow/stab the runners, hope david gives me stabbing opportunities on the clickers and keep checking for ammo.

Jobbs

Banned
working up the courage to try a grounded run. I'm not sure if I'm as insane as some of you guys, but I like a challenge.

This game made me finally realize that the DS4 slippery sticks thing is true. I guess this is the first game I've played intensely for long periods at once, or something, but I've had lots of greasy stick problems on this. I'm not even someone who has particularly sweaty hands. Those sticks just get greasy somehow.

Top Bottom