• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

wowlace

working up the courage to try a grounded run. I'm not sure if I'm as insane as some of you guys, but I like a challenge.

This game made me finally realize that the DS4 slippery sticks thing is true. I guess this is the first game I've played intensely for long periods at once, or something, but I've had lots of greasy stick problems on this. I'm not even someone who has particularly sweaty hands. Those sticks just get greasy somehow.

Do yourself a favour and pick up some little stick cover thingos. Best couple of bucks I have spent.

Vov

Finished grounded+ tonight. Had to watch a video on the last part after failing at least 15 times.

Great game. Gameplay impressions:

Overall loved the gunplay and close quarters combat. I felt like the stealth was frustrating at times and a little less rewarding compared to a stealth game like ground zeroes.

Also the ammo drops felt rigged. It doesn't really reward conserving ammo because it seems the game pre-determines how much ammo you should have on grounded and only drops ammo if you get below that threshold. I could be wrong, and I see why they designed grounded this way, but again doesn't really reward the player to be stealthy.

Still a 10/10 despite these issues only apparent to me at the highest difficulty setting.

kubus

Any tips for the
water gun
fight in Left Behind?
Abuse photo mode to see where she's hiding.

Make two saves before the start of the fight. Once you'rehit, autosave will immediately overwrite one of your saves, but if you made two you can still reload and retry.

Good luck, this was the hardest fight for me :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What could you really do differently though? You can't conserve ammo in the first part of the chapter since there are no bricks, unless you were shooting at clickers in between hordes you could end up in the same situation and in regards to your health, its practically all one hit kills anyway. I ended up in the same situation on monday, 2 rifle bullets and 2 arrows, luckily i found a third arrow on the table but I just couldn't do it. I took a break and tried again yesterday and finally managed it. I think if you stick with it you can do it, and the rest of the game is cake in comparison.

Roughly the pattern that ended up working for me
was, take the first 3 runners by brick, bottle and stabbing while struggling with david, rifle the two clickers coming up from the bridge, grab another brick, run down the bridge and use 2 arrows on the runners as they drop in or brick/stab if i miss one. turn around hopefully either picked up the arrows or got rifle ammo off the first two clickers, shoot as they come or stab if theres room and david is punching or struggling with one, move forward to check for ammo and because there will be another coming from the back of the bridge. when there was a brief quiet period run to get a bottle and check the corpses for more ammo. used molotov and nail bomb on bloater but he still didnt die, shot him twice with the rifle and he dropped more rifle bullets so i could finish off the last few guys running around.

basically had to arrow/stab the runners, hope david gives me stabbing opportunities on the clickers and keep checking for ammo.

Thanks for reassuring me it can be done without getting hit. You were pretty much in the same situation as me... I do the first part as you described, but then it gets harder. I'll try to stay out of the big room as much as possible, because there's too much chance you get grabbed out of nowhere. As it stands though, as soon as one even breathes on me, I'm done. Think I might check a yt vid as well, this part is by far the hardest of the run so far.

Hubb

So I got through the hotel basement and the financial district in 3 tries each last night on grounded. The basement could have been in one try but I fucked up and had to use ammo so I opted to retry it.

The financial district was harder. On my third try I wound up stealthing the first wave and alerting all of the second wave. On the second wave I was basically in the office by the sniper the entire time. They just came at me 1 by 1 and would vault into the room and I would instantly grab them or beat them with a stick. It almost felt like cheating.

The Last of Us and Wolfenstein are very similar in that the deeper you dig into the the lore of the games, the better they get.

Missing out on the alternate history newspaper clippings in Wolfenstein or the journals and notes left behind by previous survivors in The Last of Us is missing out on a huge part of either game.

Yes, agree. I have been taking my time with both, I cannot imagine flying through either game. Back to playing...

kubus

Thanks for reassuring me it can be done without getting hit. You were pretty much in the same situation as me... I do the first part as you described, but then it gets harder. I'll try to stay out of the big room as much as possible, because there's too much chance you get grabbed out of nowhere. As it stands though, as soon as one even breathes on me, I'm done. Think I might check a yt vid as well, this part is by far the hardest of the run so far.
For the record, you can restart the chapter and you won't be penalized for it. I did it with chapter 5 on my NG+ grounded run and in the end all the trophies popped.

The first time I did that section on Grounded I had 5 rifle shots and about 4 arrows. Also two nail bombs and two molotovs. You get just enough materials to craft those if you collect all the supplies on your way to that section.

Second run, I also had two rifle shells and only two arrows. I also missed a blade somewhere so I didn't have enough materials to craft a second bomb. That run was much harder for me, but not impossible.

If you want to redo the chapter to get the max. number of bullets and supplies, here's a few tips:

- When you fight off the infected in the cabin, make every shot count. If you miss once, better restart unless you're already pretty far in the encounter. In that case it's not so bad if you wasted one bullet.

- Do not pick up any ammo until David starts pushing the object in front of a window. If you don't pick up any ammo, David will give you 5 or 6 shells before moving the furniture. Once you have that, you can pick up the ammo that was dropped by enemies (about 2 rounds I think). If you pick up the ammo mid-battle, David won't give you free ammo, or less of it.

- Use the bow on infected that are already inside because you can retrieve the arrows, use the rifle only if it gets too crowded and on clickers

- In the area where you sneak around infected, go immediately to the right and you can crouch through a hole in the wall. There's some explosive material here. Now go back, and there should be a clicker waiting around the corner here. Sneak past him and drop down into the hole. Behind you there is a bunch of crafting materials. From here you can easily reach david by headshotting the single clicker in the area and climbing the ladder

- When you're on the catwalk, brick+knife the clicker and grab all the supplies from the room he was " guarding" (or lure him into the catwalk maze and sneak past him)

These materials + everything you can collect in the bloater room should be enough to craft a total of two molotovs and two nail bombs. I don't know if I missed a material in this guide though, as I came up one blade short in my second playthrough. Maybe you can consult a real walkthrough to see if I missed anything.

My strategy for the fight was the following:

- Hide against the stairs until the first runner appears. With a bit of luck, he'll attack David and you can swoop in and knife him. Try to repeat this for the next two runners but if you have no choice or it takes too long, brick+stab one of them and lure the other one into David's arms, then finish him.
- Two clickers will be approaching now. You can kill one of them with the rifle, then hide behind the container in the center and hope that the second clicker grabs David. Knife it.
- Ellie will now shout that the infected are on the roof. Once you've cleared the two clickers, you should run upstairs and aim with your bow at the window where the infected will come from. Once the first dude is in sight, shoot him with an arrow and pick up the arrow again. Repeat for the next infected that comes right after him through the same window.
- Next part is kinda random so you need some luck here. Be sure to stay on the run ALWAYS and keep a bottle and brick on you. Always have the brick/bottle equipped and ready to throw. Keep your eye on David and rush in for a kill once you see a chance. Best if he's surrounded by two: brick+stab one, then finish off the other when David staggered him. Repeat for the rest of the infected. Don't take any chances with clickers: kill them with the rifle if they pose a threat and if David isn't around to stagger them.
- Once David comments that you're doing prettywell, retreat to the long hall and wait for the first runner to come out at the end of it. Kill him with an arrow and hopefully you get it back. What I do next is throw a nail bomb at the opposite end (where it connects to the big room) so I can't get overwhelmed. Once it goes off, there should only be around two remaining runners/clickers that come towards you. Finish them off.
- Bloater should be next. Run up the stairs in the big room and throw all the remaining molotovs and bombs you have on his ass. I used two molotovs and only had to shoot him once with the rifle to take him down. Look out for the couple of runners that also spawn alongside him, finish them with any means neccessary!

Tip: enable photo mode and use it to check your surroundings from time to time. More than once I died because I was running around and a clicker or runner happened to be standing around the corner I was running past. Activating photo mode gives you some time to breath, check whatever David's up to and how many infected are still running around. While you're playing, there really is no time to move the camera around so this helped enormously for me.

... that's a much longer post than I intended but oh well. Good luck! I'm sure you can do it!

Curufinwe

Can someone explain this plot point to me?

After the dam, Joel catches up with Ellie and they fight about Joel wanting to send her off to the Fireflies with his brother. Joel tells her that she is not his daughter, he is not her dad, and they are going their separate ways. Right then four or five bad guys show up, and Joel and his brother kill them.

A short time later later Joel completely reverses his position and decides to go with Ellie and send his brother home. The only rationale he gives is that he is scared of his brother's wife, but this is said in a joking manner.

gdt

After the dam, Joel catches up with Ellie and they fight about Joel wanting to send her off to the Fireflies with his brother. Joel tells her that she is not his daughter, he is not her dad, and they are going their separate ways. Right then four or five bad guys show up, and Joel and his brother kill them.

A short time later later Joel completely reverses his position and decides to go with Ellie and send his brother home. The only rationale he gives is that he is scared of his brother's wife, but this is said in a joking manner.

He's growing closer and closer to her and it scares him. He realizes he can't leave her.

Probably just mulling it over on his horse ride home, thinking about what Ellie said when she mentioned that everyone who cares about her is gone, except for him.
Edit: And above poster - he's realizing that over time he's becoming a lot closer to her.

If it were me at this point in the game though, I'd definitely be staying in that town.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
awesome post

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. I did not know about that little stash of supplies when you drop down. Tempted to restart the chapter and make that extra molotov. I like to use one before the bloater.

I watched a vid of the encounter just now and he makes it look easy. I will do this.

Hubb

I can't get past the Hotel on Grounded.

I can't post the link because I am at work on my phone, but I have (and others) have posted a YouTube grounded playthrough taking no damage. I believe the channel name was godfatherofgaming or something like that. A search for a no damage grounded run will probably bring it up.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Currently playing this and I just finished the section with Bill and the truck. As they were driving away, something really weird happened, perhaps it was a bug?

There appeared to be a zombified version of Tess(?) sitting in the back of the truck with Joel during the cutscene, but nobody acknowledged her and she didn't move or anything. It was SUPER creepy.

Has anybody else run into this? It was really really weird.

Is the New Game + trick still working? Normally I'm not a fan of cheating, but I've played through this game so many times that I can't really be faulted for going that route.

aro52

Story spoilers in regards to TLOU, Left Behind, and timelines:

Did anyone slot Left Behind into their playthrough of the main story?
I just got to the winter, and was thinking of stopping, playing through Left Behind, and then coming back to finish the main story...

Handy Fake

Guilt. He feels by getting close to Ellie, he's somehow letting her take his daughter's place.

Jobbs

Banned

the emotional exchange between them afffected him, and he spent the ride home thinking about it. seemed pretty believable to me.

Adry9

Just finished the game. 10/10. Joel and Ellie are the best characters I met in a videogame. Faith in the medium restored.

zlatko

Banned
Game on Grounded gives you MORE ammo if you use your guns more often. If you play stealthy you get far less ammo.

Correct. I always encourage people if they can to punch punch up a victim to near death, then shoot them once with a gun you want more ammo for.

However, it doesn't ALWAYS give you ammo, but when it does it is well worth the risk factor.
-----------

I completed the game and the DLC in the first week of release, and I wanted to let the game's SP really set in before casting off a vote on how good or bad the game is.

In all honesty I felt the game was a solid 9/10, right up until the ending and what takes place in the hospital and after. While the ending direction they took isn't a bad one, and it WILL stay with you, I think it's how it was presented that had me kick this game's SP content back down to a 8.5.

I just felt like Ellie is such a smart and mature character that she didn't put two and two together was beyond mind boggling. It makes me like her character far less.

The DLC content was dang near perfect though. Had an absolute blast with it. 9/10 there.

The MP? Now that I can get games every time it is amazing. 10/10. :D

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Currently playing this and I just finished the section with Bill and the truck. As they were driving away, something really weird happened, perhaps it was a bug?

There appeared to be a zombified version of Tess(?) sitting in the back of the truck with Joel during the cutscene, but nobody acknowledged her and she didn't move or anything. It was SUPER creepy.

Has anybody else run into this? It was really really weird.

So nobody has seen this or knows what I'm referring to here? I guess it was a bug of some sort?

Viruz

What's the headset you're playing with? I want one that I can plug in my ps4 controller. Thanks.

edit: I want to hear the game and the chat.

Khayam

Banned
I just felt like Ellie is such a smart and mature character that she didn't put two and two together was beyond mind boggling. It makes me like her character far less.

That's actually up to you.

For me. The way she tells her story is more like "I know you're lying to me but I'm ok with it"

Hubb

I think her
not realizing it is a lie, is the least possible/popular opinion on the ending. Personally I took it as she wanted the guilt lifted off her. She just finished unloading all her baggage on you, and she wants to know it wasn't "all for nothing". Now some people think she is going to be/is mad a Joel for lying to her and others (like me) think she got the answer she was looking for. And I am sure there are 100s of other ways to take it too. I rarely see people say she was too stupid to realize it was a lie.

Sande

working up the courage to try a grounded run. I'm not sure if I'm as insane as some of you guys, but I like a challenge.
I strongly recommend it. I enjoyed the game even more than on any other difficulty (although that's PS4 vs PS3). I wasn't even frustrated when I got stuck because the gameplay was so fun.

It's not even as insanely difficult as you may think. Just make sure to save ammo for those certain situations you know you'll need it and you should be fine.

Windam

Scaley member
Just got the game last night and began my playthrough after going through some multiplayer. Any tips for Survivor mode? Also,
Tess was beginning to piss me off with her passive aggressiveness. I'm kinda glad she bit it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
QrRMoQE.gif

The attempt where I did it turned out great and I saved it. Will upload the clip soon.

TLOU Grounded is the most rewarding gaming experience I've had in a long time

Edit: a clip of the encounter (spoilers obv)

Jobbs

Banned

She saw through the lie. Common interpretation is that she knows he's lying and sort of accepts it. Druckmann at a game dev conference said it's more along the lines of her knowing he's lying and accepting that she has to move on and be on her own, because this is how her story arc reaches its conclusion. Becoming independent.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
She saw through the lie. Common interpretation is that she knows he's lying and sort of accepts it. Druckmann at a game dev conference said it's more along the lines of her knowing he's lying and accepting that she has to move on and be on her own, because this is how her story arc reaches its conclusion. Becoming independent.
That's how I always took it but I still don't think that she realizes exactly what Joel did. She probably thinks he just took her away and doesn't realize he massacred the fireflies and killed Marlene. She's seen Joel do awful things but she never saw the extent of what he did in winter and probably doesn't think he'd kill fireflies.

Hubb

That's how I always took it but I still don't think that she realizes exactly what Joel did. She probably thinks he just took her away and doesn't realize he massacred the fireflies and killed Marlene.

If there is a continuation and they get to this topic I wonder what way they'd take it. You don't have to
slaughter the fireflies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If there is a continuation and they get to this topic I wonder what way they'd take it. You don't have to
slaughter the fireflies.
It would probably focus on Marlene since Ellie knew her so long and she had been the leader. You also have to kill at least the surgeon.

Jobbs

Banned
slaughter the fireflies.

the canon is that you killed the main surgeon and marlene. whether you killed other fireflies or not isn't particularly important to the story.

while I don't think I'd have personally executed marlene were it real life, I do sort of understnad Joel's actions. All game long they've both been going to extreme lengths to save eachother, including taking lives. This is just Joel doing what both of them have been doing all game. Ellie did everything to save Joel, so it seems like she could be persuaded to be understanding about Joel doing the same. That's how it seems to me.

Hubb

the canon is that you killed the main surgeon and marlene. whether you killed other fireflies or not isn't particularly important to the story.

while I don't think I'd have personally executed marlene were it real life, I do sort of understnad Joel's actions. All game long they've both been going to extreme lengths to save eachother, including taking lives. This is just Joel doing what both of them have been doing all game. Ellie did everything to save Joel, so it seems like she could be persuaded to be understanding about Joel doing the same. That's how it seems to me.

I'd say there is a difference between Joel going on a rampage and killing every living thing, and killing 2 people. For the story it might not matter, but for Joel's character I feel it does matter.

Can anyone take a guess which shiv door I'm missing? I know it doesn't have any artifacts behind it.

Is there a guide or something that shows their contents?

Nafai1123

Banned
Just made it to winter and
met that guy who helped me get out of that complex full of infected. Holy shit that last part was hard. Bloater showed up and I had no fuckin ammo at all! Now I'm trying to get away from his group near the shore and kept getting spotted.
Oh well, I'll try another day.

When
you go back to Joel to give him the medicine and take care of him. Man....dem feels. :(

Uh, what the hell is up with the Stealth AI in this game.

I swear, I stealth kill everyone and all of sudden people just get randomly alerted (and the bodies are in hidden spots where no enemy AI is pathing..

it makes no sense.

Example.

I was in a section where there are enemies on 2 floors. first floor had like 4 enemies, and upstairs theres like another 4...

I stealth kill all 4 and hide their bodies in great areas (grabbing them and moving them to a good spot then strangling them)

but then when i strangle the 4th guy. all of sudden the 4 guys upstairs are alerted and come to the room I was in. WTF? why? it makes no fucking sense

I dont remember this shit happening on the ps3 version.

Top Bottom