• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Juz

Finished Left Behind last night.

Goddamn what a great piece of DLC. Playing as Ellie is just so much more fun than as Joel.

Think I'm gonna go for a grounded run next. Wish me luck!

Carbonox

I still maintain the Winter chapter is one of the greatest chapters in gaming history from a tight, evenly set up story/gameplay-wise point of view. The events that occur, the fun to be had, etc.

Primarily the story beats and the fact that I fucking love winter settings.

Truly astonishing part of the game.

Jobbs

Banned
I still maintain the
Winter chapter is one of the greatest chapters in gaming history from a tight, evenly set up story/gameplay-wise point of view. The events that occur, the fun to be had, etc.

Primarily the story beats and the fact that I fucking love winter settings.

Truly astonishing part of the game.

completely agree. the infected segments with david almost made me feel like I was experiencing some of the better moments from RE4, but -- even better on top of that, because I was actually genuinely interested in the characters and setting which has never been very true for RE (or most other games).

Beyond that, it (along with the latter portions of fall with its eerily dark grey skies) just had this timeless dream like quality that just gets to me.

Curufinwe

The end of the University was even worse the second time around. That spike goes right thru the middle of his stomach, but miraculously misses his spine and somehow doesn't cause fatal damage to his intestines which I guess just repair themselves. It's so ridiculous it completely took me out of the moment.

And then you have Ellie getting smashed in the face with a lead pipe and getting straight back up without so much as a scratch.

I'd say there is a difference between Joel going on a rampage and killing every living thing, and killing 2 people. For the story it might not matter, but for Joel's character I feel it does matter.

Joel not killing everyone actually doesn't make sense since the reason he kills Marlene is that she would have come after them if he had left her alive. But any Fireflies he left alive will come after them.

S¡mon

Banned
Great. I boot up the game, all progress, gone.

Granted, I wasn't that far in
just started to get outside of the walls in the wilderness
but this sucks.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
S¡mon;125348609 said:
Great. I boot up the game, all progress, gone.

Granted, I wasn't that far in
just started to get outside of the walls in the wilderness
but this sucks.

Have you checked your saves, are they gone?

Ugh the second time you defend against the infected with
David
is awful. If too many arrows break your kinda fucked.

Is there much after the
Bloater
drops? Got up to there a three or four times but I had no ammo.

Hubb

Joel not killing everyone actually doesn't make sense since the reason he kills Marlene is that she would have come after them if he had left her alive. But any Fireflies he left alive will come after them.
I disagree. From the audio notes you find Marlene talks about the fireflies falling apart and her having trouble keeping them together. With the doctor and Marlene dead there is a good chance the fireflies stop existing or turn into something else. They may come after Joel for revenge but they wouldn't be hunting Ellie.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Pics or it didn't happen.
Pls have pics. This sounds super creepy.

If you didn't hit the share button to take a screenshot we're all going to be very disappointed.

Maaaaaaan, I was so freaked out I didn't even THINK to do this. I am sad now.

I wish there was a way I could go back and just replay that section to see if it happens again. It's burned into my memory and the fact that nobody else seems to have had this happen is making it even creepier.

Vespa

Did they patch the messed up gamma/contrast ratio? This game is either totally washed out or has crushed blacks. Their is no middle ground.

I tested all my other games (infamous, killzone, thief, TR DE, AC BF, Wolfenstein). All have right ratios and look great, its only with LoUS - the picture/gamma balance is just off in this game.

My PS4 is set to RGB normal/limited as is my Pana Plasma.

I was playing yesterday and the second patch that I downloaded didn't fix it, it's weird it's fine on certain levels :/

funkypie

Banned
just finished with left behind. must say i'm disappointed and glad at the same time.

I never bothered with it on the ps3 but glad I didn't. Wasn't worth the money they were charging for it. Now the DLC itself, was slightly ok, but quite boring tbh.

Jobbs

Banned
just finished with left behind. must say i'm disappointed and glad at the same time.

I never bothered with it on the ps3 but glad I didn't. Wasn't worth the money they were charging for it. Now the DLC itself, was slightly ok, but quite boring tbh.

you're entitled to your opinion, personally I thought it was a terrific DLC -- especially for just $5 (unless I'm mistaken? I think it was only $5). Or, obviously, free with the remastered.

we get new perspective on the story and characters and experience some really nice moments -- we also got to do some fresh new things in terms of gameplay mechanics with
getting the infected and hunters to fight eachother

I'm someone who is really invested in the story/characters of TLOU, and as such, boy, I loved it. I'd probably say it's the best and most rewarding DLC I've ever purchased, rivaled only by Artorias of the Abyss.

Huggers

The conversations trophy is annoying as fuck. I have 36 of the 37 conversations. No clue where the one I missed is. Also I couldn't open all the shiv doors because I played on Surviour and there aren't enough shivs, bit poor imo

Curufinwe

I disagree. From the audio notes you find Marlene talks about the fireflies falling apart and her having trouble keeping them together. With the doctor and Marlene dead there is a good chance the fireflies stop existing or turn into something else. They may come after Joel for revenge but they wouldn't be hunting Ellie.

Two of us got killed so let's all of us just give up forever on finding a cure for the disease that ruined the world.

The half of it set in the past was very boring.

S¡mon

Banned
That's terrible.

Do you have PS+ backup saves, or saves on a USB stick?

I've got the auto PS+ saves upload functionality turned on, but the saves had not uploaded yet. And nope, didn't have them on USB stick.

Honestly, I simply did not expect the save game to get corrupted so I hadn't made any copies/back-ups.

Lexxism

I'm currently playing chapter 3 (grounded+)
around when Tess died
. I already got all of the collectibles in that part and I'm planning to switch to hard+. If I finished the game with hard+, will I still get the trophies for collectibles despite starting the game with grounded+? Or do I need to start the game from the scratch?

Andrew.

Banned
The conversations trophy is annoying as fuck. I have 36 of the 37 conversations. No clue where the one I missed is. Also I couldn't open all the shiv doors because I played on Surviour and there aren't enough shivs, bit poor imo

You mightve missed the one with the woman on top of Tommy's dam. It's easily skippable and isnt even included in the fuckin strategy guide.

I can't get the trophy since Ellie never stops by the damn bus to discuss the airplane ad during the Spring. She either sits down on the ground and wont move before I reach the bus or she walks right past it as soon as Im at the front of the bus.

Bullshit.

milkham

You mightve missed the one with the woman on top of Tommy's dam. It's easily skippable and isnt even included in the fuckin strategy guide.

I can't get the trophy since Ellie never stops by the damn bus to discuss the airplane ad during the Spring. She either sits down on the ground and wont move before I reach the bus or she walks right past it as soon as Im at the front of the bus.

Bullshit.

you went in the rv to grab the stuff before the bus? usually she's standing at the bus when you come out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Same here. I used a guide for convos so I have no idea what I missed.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

How would they even know where to start? The only reason Marlene reached out to Joel was because of her relationship with Tommy, so if anything there may have been a possibilty for her to know where Tommy's Dam was but otherwise that's not something I'd consider to be common knowledge. They'd never know they(Joel and Ellie) are there. Also consider to the fact the fireflies are in shambles and making the journey to the dam would likely kill them with hunters and infected out there- they'd likely not attempt it. They'd likely cut their losses and regroup or go underground and try to uproot military dominance via subterfuge and sabotage as opposed waging war in the streets and not rest their hopes on a vaccine that was a shot in the dark

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Bullshit.
Pick up/examine the artifact and bodies in the RV first.

Curufinwe

How would they even know where to start? The only reason Marlene reached out to Joel was because of her relationship with Tommy, so if anything there may have been a possibilty for her to know where Tommy's Dam was but otherwise that's not something I'd consider to be common knowledge. They'd never know they(Joel and Ellie) are there. Also consider to the fact the fireflies are in shambles and making the journey to the dam would likely kill them with hunters and infected out there- they'd likely not attempt it. They'd likely cut their losses and regroup or go underground and try to uproot military dominance via subterfuge and sabotage as opposed waging war in the streets and not rest their hopes on a vaccine that was a shot in the dark

None of them know how to track?

foxdvd

two real common ones people miss

University chapter, there is a firefly symbol that you can talk to Ellie about. There are actually 3 of these on the map, and only the one within 10 yards of where you have to enter to fight some infected counts...

The other one many people miss in on the winter chapter with the
Ellie David defend fight that ends with a bloater
There are some bodies there you have to talk about..even if you did this, it is possible you died during the fight, it reloads before the fight and the option to talk to the bodies is gone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
two real common ones people miss

University chapter, there is a firefly symbol that you can talk to Ellie about. There are actually 3 of these on the map, and only the one within 10 yards of where you have to enter to fight some infected counts...

The other one many people miss in on the winter chapter with the
Ellie David defend fight that ends with a bloater
There are some bodies there you have to talk about..even if you did this, it is possible you died during the fight, it reloads before the fight and the option to talk to the bodies is gone.
Ooh that first one may be the one that didn't count for me. The convo will trigger in thw other places but only one counts? Screenshot of the one that works?

Hubb

Two of us got killed so let's all of us just give up forever on finding a cure for the disease that ruined the world.

They were about to give up before Joel/Ellie got there. Also they lost most of their members making the journey across the country. How many are going to want to do that again? Besides, Joel didn't kill all of them no matter what you do in the game. He never kills (at least we don't see it) the people chasing you to the elevator. Many doctors in this world had already given up on finding a cure. The breaking point of this group could very well be the death of their leader + a doctor + that other guy. Everyone else gave up on finding a cure in that world, the shaky remnants of the Fireflies probably wasn't going to last much longer.

Assuming they have a car to chase after Joel/Ellie they'd have to make a choice to send either some of their group and risk that group dying or send everyone and risk all of their equipment/supplies being destroyed or taken. Isn't as easy as knowing how to track. And from what we saw of the garage there didn't seem to be any other cars.

funkypie

Banned
you're entitled to your opinion, personally I thought it was a terrific DLC -- especially for just $5 (unless I'm mistaken? I think it was only $5). Or, obviously, free with the remastered.

we get new perspective on the story and characters and experience some really nice moments -- we also got to do some fresh new things in terms of gameplay mechanics with
getting the infected and hunters to fight eachother

I'm someone who is really invested in the story/characters of TLOU, and as such, boy, I loved it. I'd probably say it's the best and most rewarding DLC I've ever purchased, rivaled only by Artorias of the Abyss.

they were charging $15 or £11.99 when it first released on the ps3. Hence why i'm not bothered about it being with the remaster, essentially free.

while that gameplay mechanic seemed good, it happens like three times all in the last act, not exactly steller gameplay.

also it is incredibly broken, all enemies completely ignore you.

foxdvd

Ooh that first one may be the one that didn't count for me. The convo will trigger in thw other places but only one counts? Screenshot of the one that works?

I don't have a picture but when you enter the area you will see
some monkeys running to your left
right across from you is a large building...on the other side of that is another large building. The second large building is the one you need to go into
there are 4 clickers and 1 bloater in this building
To the left of where you enter is the symbol you need for the conversation. On that same building but all the way to the right is another symbol that you can talk about but this one does not count. Also on the right side of the first building is another symbol that does not count. I know that is confusing, but I don't have a video or picture of it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't have a picture but when you enter the area you will see
some monkeys running to your left
right across from you is a large building...on the other side of that is another large building. The second large building is the one you need to go into
there are 4 clickers and 1 bloater in this building
To the left of where you enter is the symbol you need for the conversation. On that same building but all the way to the right is another symbol that you can talk about but this one does not count. Also on the right side of the first building is another symbol that does not count. I know that is confusing, but I don't have a video or picture of it.
I think I understand. I triggered it on the wrong symbol. I did it on the first building, not the second.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
whew - just finished the game. first playthrough on hard w/o listening.

some pretty great storytelling moments.

what should i do next? ng+ on hard or straight to grounded?

if i start a new game, do i lose my ng+ save?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Track what, tire tracks? My point still stands. It'd be stupid for them to waste time, resources and lives chasing someone for vengeance as opposed to just getting a more apt leader to rally and reorganize them and pursue their war in a more feasible and sensible way. Fireflies are already being hunted and put down immediately in quaratine zones throughout the country by the military, likely being picked off by Hunters as well when they carelessly wander in unfamiliar territory on the run from the military or becoming an infected's next scooby snack. The search for a vaccine likely died with Marlene. Sorry but chasing after Joel would just end them and the values they were originally fighting for. And even if they found the Dam, do you honestly think they wouldn't be wiped out there?

Viruz

First time Grounded mode here...

Q4gcXvX.jpg

This is beyond great!

eLGee

So I was posting some photos from the game on my facebook, one of my colleagues (which I don't really like) commented on one of them. There's no good translation for the word he used to describe the game, it could be described as a mix between "wacky" and "silly". "Knasigt" is the word in Swedish.

I damn near went apeshit. TLOU is a lot of things. Suspenseful. Thrilling. Sad. Gutwrenching. Amazing. Wonderful. Beautiful. Horrifying. Bloody. And so on. Nowhere in the game does a word like fucking "KNASIGT" fit in! I was seriously offended that someone would describe their experience of the game like that. Even moreso, coming from him.

Anyway. Sorry for the blog post. I just needed to vent. Anyone else think the game is "knasigt"?

So I was posting some photos from the game on my facebook, one of my colleagues (which I don't really like) commented on one of them. There's no good translation for the word he used to describe the game, it could be described as a mix between "wacky" and "silly". "Knasigt" is the word in Swedish.

I damn near went apeshit. TLOU is a lot of things. Suspenseful. Thrilling. Sad. Gutwrenching. Amazing. Wonderful. Beautiful. Horrifying. Bloody. And so on. Nowhere in the game does a word like fucking "KNASIGT" fit in! I was seriously offended that someone would describe their experience of the game like that. Even moreso, coming from him.

Anyway. Sorry for the blog post. I just needed to vent. Anyone else think the game is "knasigt"?

That really makes no sense. Did he say why he thinks the game is "wacky" and "silly"...those are last two words I would use to describe TLOU.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

#1 reason I don't use FB to upload screens, too many dumb shit comments like that from friends who don't play video games. Flickr support would be much appreciated, Sony.

Uh, what the hell is up with the Stealth AI in this game.

I swear, I stealth kill everyone and all of sudden people just get randomly alerted (and the bodies are in hidden spots where no enemy AI is pathing..

it makes no sense.

Example.

I was in a section where there are enemies on 2 floors. first floor had like 4 enemies, and upstairs theres like another 4...

I stealth kill all 4 and hide their bodies in great areas (grabbing them and moving them to a good spot then strangling them)

but then when i strangle the 4th guy. all of sudden the 4 guys upstairs are alerted and come to the room I was in. WTF? why? it makes no fucking sense

I dont remember this shit happening on the ps3 version.

So.... Am I the only one constantly experiencing this? Or am I just invisible in this thread

eLGee

That really makes no sense. Did he say why he thinks the game is "wacky" and "silly"...those are last two words I would use to describe TLOU.

Exactly what I told him. He backlashed against that comment and said it was just his opinion. He is a certified moron, so, there's that.

#1 reason I don't use FB to upload screens, too many dumb shit comments like that from friends who don't play video games. Flickr support would be much appreciated, Sony.

He does play video games, and he says he has played TLOU. It makes me kind of sad that someone plays the game and all they get out of it is that it's fucking "WACKY!!!!LOL!!!!"

Top Bottom