• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

So when I first played through the game, I didn't like it at all and didn't understand the hype. Like it was a great story with unprecedented presentation, but the gameplay was kind of meh.

But then lately, the few days after beating the game, I keep thinking about it. And it's growing a lot on me. And I think... I want to go through a second playthrough. But my backlog is so big. :(

milkham

So when I first played through the game, I didn't like it at all and didn't understand the hype. Like it was a great story with unprecedented presentation, but the gameplay was kind of meh.

But then lately, the few days after beating the game, I keep thinking about it. And it's growing a lot on me. And I think... I want to go through a second playthrough. But my backlog is so big. :(

play it again and again, and agaiiiiinn

I was kind of disappointed by the ending of Left Behind. I was hoping it would go on to
show Riley turning and being killed by whoever had to do it, and the Fireflies discovering Ellie's immunity. Instead it ended fairly abruptly.

I was kind of disappointed by the ending of Left Behind. I was hoping it would go on to
show Riley turning and being killed by whoever had to do it, and the Fireflies discovering Ellie's immunity. Instead it ended fairly abruptly.

Well they are planning more DLC. ;)

IndustryX

Well managed to convince a 50 year old man who only plays Call of Duty to give this game a shot, giving him my copy of the game for PS3 tomorrow, will report back with details, he says his favorite part of games is exploring and story so I think he should enjoy ;)

IndustryX

Play it again, on a harder difficulty, I could see the complaint of meh gameplay on the easier difficulties, to many supplies and you can take far to much damage. You have to feel the tension of the enemies being just as strong/smart as you, and the supplies being severely limited, i can't tell you how much more I enjoyed my Grounded playthrough then my Normal/Hard playthroughs

Well managed to convince a 50 year old man who only plays Call of Duty to give this game a shot, giving him my copy of the game for PS3 tomorrow, will report back with details, he says his favorite part of games is exploring and story so I think he should enjoy ;)

Nice, hopefully you can convert him, lol.

Awesome avatar, btw ;)

Hubb

Well Ellie tells us
how the Fireflies find out.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Trying to get a good friend of mine to jump over too since all he plays is Ghosts. He's got a daughter around Ellie and Sarah's age too I know he would really like it.

Play it again, on a harder difficulty, I could see the complaint of meh gameplay on the easier difficulties, to many supplies and you can take far to much damage. You have to feel the tension of the enemies being just as strong/smart as you, and the supplies being severely limited, i can't tell you how much more I enjoyed my Grounded playthrough then my Normal/Hard playthroughs

I had the same feeling after finishing. It was already a tedious slog half the time. Giving myself less options doesn't sound like fun. I think I just don't like stealth games

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
So.... Am I the only one constantly experiencing this? Or am I just invisible in this thread

I feel ya man, there's some serious wtf hair pulling incidents i've had with stealth and combat in general.... tbh I think the combat is really clunky and the worst part of the game....

also, gotta say that ending
such a scummy move by Joel, made me kinda not like him...

Well they are planning more DLC. ;)

really?? more DLC and it's not included on the Remaster?? i'm going to be pissed if they come out with a "definitive" version after the remaster...

Curufinwe

Track what, tire tracks? My point still stands. It'd be stupid for them to waste time, resources and lives chasing someone for vengeance as opposed to just getting a more apt leader to rally and reorganize them and pursue their war in a more feasible and sensible way. Fireflies are already being hunted and put down immediately in quaratine zones throughout the country by the military, likely being picked off by Hunters as well when they carelessly wander in unfamiliar territory on the run from the military or becoming an infected's next scooby snack. The search for a vaccine likely died with Marlene. Sorry but chasing after Joel would just end them and the values they were originally fighting for. And even if they found the Dam, do you honestly think they wouldn't be wiped out there?

A cure is way more important to their values than a war. Assuming their desire for a cure just vanished is convenient, but makes zero sense.

Curufinwe

I used the glitch to play NG+ on Hard after beating the game on Normal, and I got the trophy for beating the game on Hard as well as the trophies for Easy+, Normal+ and Hard+ when I finished.

I've seen that people ask about that quite a lot.

Gray Matter

0iIrLUI.jpg

Another platinum to my collection. #11

Apath

I feel ya man, there's some serious wtf hair pulling incidents i've had with stealth and combat in general.... tbh I think the combat is really clunky and the worst part of the game....

also, gotta say that ending
such a scummy move by Joel, made me kinda not like him...
End of game spoiler:
I mean, the guy has lost everything. His bond with Ellie could easily be considered a father/daughter relationship, and it's really not that difficult to imagine he would do anything to protect her--even betray her trust.

What I don't get is why Marlene even told Joel that Ellie was alive in the first place. "She drowned and we couldn't bring her back. So we are going through with an autopsy of her brain to try and salvage a cure." I don't know, anything would do. She knew Joel was a good man, had spent a year with her, and his first reaction to waking up was to see Ellie/make sure she is okay. It's not exactly rocket science to assume he wouldn't be okay with her being killed.

Apath

Honestly I was a little disappointed, considering how hyped up it was in this thread. People kept insisting that the first 1/3 of the game was nothing compared to later, but it just kept up the same high quality throughout. Not that it was bad, but it never really went above and beyond those first few hours for me.

The game was fantastic throughout none the less.
I used the glitch to play NG+ on Hard after beating the game on Normal, and I got the trophy for beating the game on Hard as well as the trophies for Easy+, Normal+ and Hard+ when I finished.

I've seen that people ask about that quite a lot.
Is there a way to glitch it to play Survivor+ when only beating it on Hard? Not that I mind the challenge, but if I don't glitch it I'll have to play Survivor, Survivor+ and then one more play through (probably on easy) to get the remaining trophies. I would rather avoid playing through the game that many times if possible.

Jobbs

Banned
Honestly I was a little disappointed, considering how hyped up it was in this thread. People kept insisting that the first 1/3 of the game was nothing compared to later, but it just kept up the same high quality throughout. Not that it was bad, but it never really went above and beyond those first few hours for me.

when I got to the end of fall and then into winter, the game went from "great" to "holy shit". winter is a masterstroke, firing on all cylinders -- gameplay, art, story, sound, every element comes together so perfectly in winter that it honestly -- and I know I'm starting to sound a bit rabid -- but it honestly becomes transcendent.

clearly YMMV :)

BTW -- anyone know if you also get the survivor trophy for completing the game on grounded?

I beat the game on survivor, and went to start a new game on Grounded, thinking that I could do New Game + that way, but, apparently it doesn't work like that. I saved my game over the old save, now all my stats are gone, and no NG+. Question is, is there any way t start NG+ now, or do I have to beat it again?

Bumping for the newest page. Any tips?

IndustryX

when I got to the end of fall and then into winter, the game went from "great" to "holy shit". winter is a masterstroke, firing on all cylinders -- gameplay, art, story, sound, every element comes together so perfectly in winter that it honestly -- and I know I'm starting to sound a bit rabid -- but it honestly becomes transcendent.

BTW -- anyone know if you also get the survivor trophy for completing the game on grounded?

I can report I finished Hard first playthrough got Hard, Normal, Easy trophies.

I then played Grounded+ with the new game+ trick and got all of the remaining difficulty trophies.

rbanke

You do. Since the remaster version is my 5th & 6th playthrough I used the + glitch to do normal then grounded+ which popped 8 trophies when I finished it lol.

IndustryX

Is there a way to glitch it to play Survivor+ when only beating it on Hard? Not that I mind the challenge, but if I don't glitch it I'll have to play Survivor, Survivor+ and then one more play through (probably on easy) to get the remaining trophies. I would rather avoid playing through the game that many times if possible.

Start New Game + on the difficulty you played on, play up until 20 years later where you first see Tess, exit the game go to chapter select, pick hometown Survivor/Grounded and save it to a new save slot. Poof your on New Game+ Survivor/Grounded. If your like me and want to be sure your on New Game+ you can check your game type by trying to load the save file and when you hover over the save file hit the options button, and then information. It should say Difficulty+

Cubed

I just made it out of Pittsburgh in my Grounded Playthrough.

So far it isn't too bad. I've died more times than I would like to admit, but I'm actually having a lot of fun. I'm definitely using stealth a lot more than I do on the other difficulties.

Time to add my 2 cents to this huge thread.

I owned TLoU on the PS3, but played only the sp. Hence, I started directly with the multiplayer on PS4 and had a lot of fun during the last two weeks. Two days ago I started with the singleplayer again. I'm very impressed with the IQ, it feels so sharp and clean (disclaimer - I have an old 32" 720p TV).
Biggest surprise to me was my switch from mostly 60fps to the locked 30fps. I was curious and I haven't expected such a huge, visible difference. But the 30fps version is clearly no choice - better shadows aside.

I'm looking forward to play through the singleplayer again, and maybe again. And, even if it came from the last gen, it makes me optimistic about the future of this gen.

So I managed to get all the single player trophies except for upgrade all the weapons. Only one I didn't get done is the Shorty. How should I go about that? Do all the fully upgraded weapons need to be in my possession for the trophy?

I'm thinking I could play Pittsburgh on easy opening all the shiv doors along the way which should give me enough parts to finish it off once I get to it. If that doesn't work I'll have to play almost half the game again ;_;

Cloudy

Banned
Out of ammo? ;)

LOL no. I have 10 bullets. It's the scene where you
get the gas can and some stalkers appear. I can shoot when I load up but when the stalkers arrive, I can't shoot or even throw bricks. Only the knife works

Almost as if the game thinks there's no way I'd have ammo here. I did kind of cheat and scour the area before
attempting to start the generator

I have reloaded, quit to menu and even rebooted. This sucks. Gonna try chapter select next

EDIT: Turns out the R2 button on my ps4 is damaged :(

Looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYaYks2o2Qg

PS: Is that Lara Croft's hair in your avatar?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Guys, I did it. I beat Grounded.

KxC5z0r.gif

A fond farewell to a great game, that I enjoyed even more because of this fantastic difficulty. Truly the way TLOU was meant to be played. Anyone who's doubting to start in this mode, do it. Great fun.

171 deaths

I am so incredibly rusty at this game. Holy crap. I don't know if it's just being away from console games for so long or what, but I struggled mightily in the Outskirts portion of the game. I never had that problem when I played the PS3 version.

The first major encounter
after finding the revolver
was really tough for me. Died about a half dozen times on Normal. I hope I can "git gud" soon because I intend to jump straight into Grounded+ after I finish. There's no chance I get anything accomplished if I can't play solid right now.

I have, however, learned to love the brick. I don't know why I never utilized that little hunk of rock more in the previous iteration. I have so much ammo now.

I damn near went apeshit. TLOU is a lot of things. Suspenseful. Thrilling. Sad. Gutwrenching. Amazing. Wonderful. Beautiful. Horrifying. Bloody. And so on. Nowhere in the game does a word like fucking "KNASIGT" fit in! I was seriously offended that someone would describe their experience of the game like that. Even moreso, coming from him.

I would have a little talk with him.....with a crowbar. ;-)

marrec

Banned
I never played this game when it originally released because I didn't own a PS3.

Figured I'd post a few of my impressions so far (only about 4 hours past the intro).

The introduction is weak. Not in the "man what happened to X characters was weak!" but in that the writing itself was weak. I understand what they were trying to do and it was mostly effective up until the convenient end that made zero sense. Emotional resonance is hard to establish in games and especially in just a few minutes but that part was pretty lazy. Unless there's some big reveal later that explains more.

That said, afterwards the dialog and direction are great. Character motivations are clear and actions follow based on them. I'm interested in what is so far a very well written story. Much better than most Zombie crap these days (oh no, people are the real monsters! blegh). The art direction is great too, though the geometry is hard to follow sometimes... which is totally forgivable because it's fun to navigate through levels.

The worst thing so far is actually the enemies. I'm playing on Normal right now and it feels way too easy. There's no tension in any of the encounters. They present the well crafted arenas where you can sneak up behind virtually anyone with enough patience and skill but give me zero reason to actually do that. I can just run into the center, dodge bullets or soak them up like a sponge, and fist fight everyone within a 2 block radius. It's whacky fun for sure but tonally shocking and off par with the rest of the game.

I might restart on a harder difficulty if it doesn't pick up soon but even if I don't the story and world are enough to keep me moving forward toward the finish line. Great game so far.

Sh0k

To the people that have finished the game in any + difficulty, after you finish the game for a second time, do you still have the option to start a new game + ?

Finished the game on Hard and now playing a second time in Hard + to get all the collectibles and the missing Shiv doors. After I finish the game for a second time, do I still have the option to start a new game + and do the glitch for Grounded + ?

I never played this game when it originally released because I didn't own a PS3.

Figured I'd post a few of my impressions so far (only about 4 hours past the intro).

The introduction is weak. Not in the "man what happened to X characters was weak!" but in that the writing itself was weak. I understand what they were trying to do and it was mostly effective up until the convenient end that made zero sense. Emotional resonance is hard to establish in games and especially in just a few minutes but that part was pretty lazy. Unless there's some big reveal later that explains more.

That said, afterwards the dialog and direction are great. Character motivations are clear and actions follow based on them. I'm interested in what is so far a very well written story. Much better than most Zombie crap these days (oh no, people are the real monsters! blegh). The art direction is great too, though the geometry is hard to follow sometimes... which is totally forgivable because it's fun to navigate through levels.

The worst thing so far is actually the enemies. I'm playing on Normal right now and it feels way too easy. There's no tension in any of the encounters. They present the well crafted arenas where you can sneak up behind virtually anyone with enough patience and skill but give me zero reason to actually do that. I can just run into the center, dodge bullets or soak them up like a sponge, and fist fight everyone within a 2 block radius. It's whacky fun for sure but tonally shocking and off par with the rest of the game.

I might restart on a harder difficulty if it doesn't pick up soon but even if I don't the story and world are enough to keep me moving forward toward the finish line. Great game so far.
Its been said here numerous times. If you're generally good at videogames, you should play on hard with listen mode off.

Jobbs

Banned
Its been said here numerous times. If you're generally good at videogames, you should play on hard with listen mode off.

hard seems to be about what normal should be, IMO. If you're a gamer, hard will feel like a fun but not overwhelming challenge, that rarely stops you in your tracks but feels tricky here and there. In other words -- pretty much perfect.

I think they made "normal" pretty doable by just about anyone so that most people could experience the story, which, for once, I think is actually justified.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Modes like easy and normal don't even feel right. Survival is a key part of the game, and in those difficulties the levels are like candyland, you find so much stuff your supplies are topped off constantly. There's no feeling of threat or choices you have to make regarding your equipment. It kinda clashes with the environment and the state the world is in.

Don't get me wrong, it's totally fine to play on those difficulties if you just want to experience the game and the story, but if you want the encounters to be more fun and rewarding, choose hard for a first playthrough. It's the perfect difficulty for a first run and maybe what Normal should've been.

Modes like easy and normal don't even feel right. Survival is a key part of the game, and in those difficulties the levels are like candyland, you find so much stuff your supplies are topped off constantly. There's no feeling of threat or choices you have to make regarding your equipment. It kinda clashes with the environment and the state the world is in.

Don't get me wrong, it's totally fine to play on those difficulties if you just want to experience the game and the story, but if you want the encounters to be more fun and rewarding, choose hard for a first playthrough. It's the perfect difficulty for a first run and maybe what Normal should've been.

I am going to use Easy mode to get the rest of my trophies after my Grounded play through. You just can't visit every nook and cranny on Grounded mode like you can on Easy.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The first major encounter
after finding the revolver
was really tough for me. Died about a half dozen times on Normal. I hope I can "git gud" soon because I intend to jump straight into Grounded+ after I finish. There's no chance I get anything accomplished if I can't play solid right now.

This is how I clear that area :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UPfCXs5Z0

This one and the next just require a little bit of patience, and a few bricks

Yeah I'm running through easy now to get all the weapon upgrades. It feels like Uncharted with really short encounters. It kinda sucks. Completely ruins the spirit of the game.

It's pretty liberating after grounded though. There's shit everywhere!

hew9753

I'm playing on Grounded,
just met up with Bill and making my way to the school
. My biggest problem so far are the checkpoints. A lot of the encounters by themselves aren't too bad to maneuver a few times to figure out the best way, but having to get through areas like
the last Capitol section
is not fun. I finally ended up making a suicide run and barely made it with a sliver of health left.

It does feel so damn satisfying to clear an area and move on, though.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

Thats what i did... Tbh..i found hard to be a bit too easy. With everyone saying how rare ammo and supplies are, i was so hesitant to use them...and had full weapons and items almost the whole game... All i did was strangle, brick, and sneak.

Never even used some of the weapons.

Also, i think combat is the worst feature of the game. Actually, the save system is really confusing and doesnt seem to work...

Top Bottom