• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

GavinUK86

It was indeed, and it's an incredible novel.

I think people just need to take any adaptation as its own isolated entity and don't let it impact their opinion of the source material.

Regardless of how good the film is or isn't, if it even happens that is, it's not going to impact the game, and there are millions of people that would never even consider playing any game, let alone a console one. Those people can get something from a film version.

If you like those sort of novels you should read the Wool trilogy.

How is he finding players? I tried for a total of 30 minutes in matchmaking across the different play lists and I couldn't find a single soul.

He was probably playing in a custom game with his friends.

I have no idea. His stream is just a lot of giggling and german.

What about the guy from Falling Skies as Joel?

Noah-wyle-falling-skies.jpg

But that is why it is called acting. I am not asking that he reprise WW. I believe Bryan Cranston could be that blunt object because of his acting range and I think he is the perfect fit age wise. Apparently most people can't separate him from that role though. If this is true he may be a bad choice.
I just don't see him pulling it off, even in Total Recall where he was the big bad fist-fighting Colin Farrell it didn't work.

Imagine a big-name Hollywood actor trying to execute the "I struggled along time with survin'" line....or the beginning section, as well as Joel does. Or any other section, for that matter.

I can't....I just can't....

*Exits thread until people stop talking about casting*

GavinUK86

Imagine a big-name Hollywood actor trying to execute the "I struggled along time with survin'" line....or the beginning section, as well as Joel does. Or any other section, for that matter.

I can't....I just can't....

*Exits thread until people stop talking about casting*

It would be perfect if they found 2 completely unknown actors to play 'em. Fresh faces.

Peter Dinklage should be joel

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

Begaria

Josh Brolin and Maisie Williams please.

Maisie Williams yes! She'd be perfect to play Ellie.

I've always envisioned Joe Manganiello playing Joel though - mainly from his acting as Alcide from True Blood. I mean...just look at 'em:

alcide.png

0505Alcide1.jpg

By the time we'd get a TLOU movie going, he'd be in his 40s (I think he's 38/39 right now).

KorrZ

It was indeed, and it's an incredible novel.

I think people just need to take any adaptation as its own isolated entity and don't let it impact their opinion of the source material.

Regardless of how good the film is or isn't, if it even happens that is, it's not going to impact the game, and there are millions of people that would never even consider playing any game, let alone a console one. Those people can get something from a film version.

I think RoboPlato puts it pretty well. A novel is text, it's pure imagination..adapting it allows you to see it realized on screen. Games, especially the Last of Us, are already very "filmic" and cinematic. You also lose the interactivity which was a factor that sold Ellie and Joel's relationship so well.

I don't know.. I know it doesn't detract from the game itself, but it just seems so unnecessary. We need games like this to push the medium into the spotlight - when you just make a movie out of it then people are just going to think of it as a movie first.

Rixxan

Joel and Ellie are Joel and Ellie

Replacing them with other actors defeats the entire significance of the achievement, the very thing that makes the medium what it is

Always hated this conversation, actors portraying video game characters, leave it alone

Especially hate this conversation when it comes to TLOU, sacred shit - man

Am I the only one that feels like it does a disservice to The Last of Us and games as a medium that they feel a movie is even needed?

Why can't it stand alone as a fantastic story as a video game? Does it really need to be retold by Hollywood?

I don't think it is a disservice if done right. The problem is that most video game to movie adaptations are terrible. I don't think that would be the case with this one though. This story is ripe for a quality representation.

I just don't see him pulling it off, even in Total Recall where he was the big bad fist-fighting Colin Farrell it didn't work.

Agreed, but that was a cookie cutter action blockbuster. I picture this being much darker and dramatic. I don't think there will be as much shiving as occurred in the game either. Of course what I picture is really of no consequence. I trust that these guys won't let their vision be tainted.

Loakum

Banned

I've always envisioned Joe Manganiello playing Joel though - mainly from his acting as Alcide from True Blood. I mean...just look at 'em:

alcide.png

By the time we'd get a TLOU movie going, he'd be in his 40s (I think he's 38/39 right now).

Joe gets my vote too! Not to mention he supports the idea of playing Joel. I tweeted his picture and twitter account to Neil Druckman, and Joe Manganiello favored and retweeted it.

ZrWmgaK.jpg

GavinUK86

Joel wasn't a stripper or a werewolf... or built like a friggin' brick wall lol.

StuBurns

Banned
I think RoboPlato puts it pretty well. A novel is text, it's pure imagination..adapting it allows you to see it realized on screen. Games, especially the Last of Us, are already very "filmic" and cinematic. You also lose the interactivity which was a factor that sold Ellie and Joel's relationship so well.

I don't know.. I know it doesn't detract from the game itself, but it just seems so unnecessary. We need games like this to push the medium into the spotlight - when you just make a movie out of it then people are just going to think of it as a movie first.

So you're against theatre adaptions too?

everyone is wrong. Josh Brolin's "Llewelyn Moss" character from No Country for Old Men is perfect. Pretty sure this character was inspiration for Joel's creation.

Simo

And he's 6ft 6. To me, that seems too big for Joel.

I have no idea who he is but I can see the resemblance there.

Seconded, he definitely looks the part but since I have no idea who he is either I would have to question if he had the acting chops to play the part.

Google "Hell on Wheels". He plays the lead in the show and is a good actor and native from Tennessee so he's got the Southern drawl down. lol

StuBurns

Banned
I just want The Last of Us to be recognized for what it is. Which is one of gamings best. I do get a little pissed off at the idea of: "Oh yeah the Last of Us, that was that zombie movie right?"
Those people right now would say "The Last of Us? Nah, never heard of it", is that better?

It would be perfect if they found 2 completely unknown actors to play 'em. Fresh faces.

It wouldn't be as bad, but it would still be terrible, imo. Joel and Ellie are Joel Ellie....those characters are who we "fell in love with" when we played the game, seeing some real actor with a chequered short on pretending to be the Joel I connected with in the game would make my throw up all over the person next to me in the theatre. XD

Joel and Ellie are Joel and Ellie

Replacing them with other actors defeats the entire significance of the achievement, the very thing that makes the medium what it is

Always hated this conversation, actors portraying video game characters, leave it alone

Especially hate this conversation when it comes to TLOU, sacred shit - man

FINALLY, someone agrees with me. CGI or bust!

predator.gif

He's the lead in Hell on Wheels. I like him a lot.

Google "Hell on Wheels". He plays the lead in the show and is a good actor and native from Tennessee so he's got the Southern drawl down. lol

I love Hell on Wheels, and he is amazing in it. He and Common both do fantastic jobs for their roles.

Ok, that is one series I have always been interested in but never started. Guess it is time to check it out!

Top Bottom