• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

u1Mr9OZ.gif

Hahahaha, excellent utilization of said gif.

So, did they fix the difficulty settings selection or not? Or do we still need to play two times on Survival/Grounded and then again to obtain Survival+/Grounded+? IMO that's a really stupid decision, at least before you could use a bug to go through normal straight to survival+.

IIRC all difficulties are unlocked from the start.

Dragon

Banned
So, did they fix the difficulty settings selection or not? Or do we still need to play two times on Survival/Grounded and then again to obtain Survival+/Grounded+? IMO that's a really stupid decision, at least before you could use a bug to go through normal straight to survival+.

What's a stupid decision? You seem to question something and then say it's stupid before you receive an answer. What am I reading?

IMO Hard should be the baseline. Normal is literally a walk in the fucking park. Supplies and ammo are EVERYWHERE. Also play with listen mode off. Completely negates the tension that is so very well crafted during gameplay.

Hard with Listen Mode off for your first playthrough for sure.

Afterwards, do what you want.

Looks like it's hard mode with listen mode off for me. Thanks a lot guys!

Gaz_RB

Can someone explain the different difficulties and what they mean?

This is going to be my first time playing the game and I want the best experience.

Easy, Normal, Hard - Standard stuff. You can take more damage, and items and ammo are more prevalent, and enemies see you less easily. You can use listen mode.

Survivor and Grounded- The next two modes, Grounded being the hardest. You can't use listen mode in these and I think the HUD is disabled in Grounded, and there are even less supplies around. You die very easily.

Insaniac

First time Playstation owner here and eager to pick up TLOU Remastered and play it after hearing all the positive comments surrounding it.

Anything I should expect going into this game to perhaps make my experience better? Looking forward to playing!

Anything I should expect going into this game to perhaps make my experience better? Looking forward to playing!

• Try to use the best possible audio setup you have.
  • Don't turn off the music.
  • Don't turn down the music.
  • Go slow.
  • Explore off the main path.
  • Pay attention to the small things.

First time Playstation owner here and eager to pick up TLOU Remastered and play it after hearing all the positive comments surrounding it.

Play at night with a good pair of headphones. Hard difficulty with listen-mode off. Enjoy.

x-Lundz-x

Headphones, and play on at least hard difficulty. Enjoy, you are in for one hell of a ride.

That's a good point. The game rewards you with exploring; you can find letters and audio logs which further immerse you in the story/world.

Quotient

• Try to use the best possible audio setup you have.

We spend so much time focusing on visual quality but forget that these games also have fantastic soundtracks and audio.

I play all my games on a 5.1 setup - Yamaha receiver and Definitive Technology speakers - and it completely changes the experience.

Derpcrawler

What's a stupid decision? You seem to question something and then say it's stupid before you receive an answer. What am I reading?

It's stupid decision to lock new game plus to specific non-plus difficulty, you can't access Grounded+ without beating game on Grounded first, requiring players to beat game at least twice on same difficulty. Ideal way of doing this would be - first play through any difficulty, then you can select any difficulty for NGP.

In PS3 version there was a glitch that actually made it possible, you could do you first run on normal/hard, and instead of grinding normal+/hard+ for survivor+, you could go straight to survival+.

Someone mentioned that this bug got patched on PS3, if they kept system exactly the same for PS4 then it's really disappointing. I want to play through and do all the stuff available, like Ellie jokes/collectibles, then another play through on Grounded+ to try and beat challenging difficulty. As it stands, those who want to obtain platinum will have to play through game 3 times, 1 on easy/normal for collectibles, and two times on grounded - Grounded to unlock Grounded+ and then Grounded+ itself, and no, you can't get everything on Grounded since there is not enough shivs to open all locked doors.

Is that clear enough, or do I need to simplify it even further for you?

ClearData

I'm assuming the custom audio profile for the PS3 version of the game works with the Pulse Elite headset on the PS4 by virtue of loading it in on the app?

Playing through the game with that profile almost broke me. The clicker encounters became just too goddamn real with their shrieks right in my ear. I don't know why I want to submit myself to that again but it is such an imersive way to play.

x-Lundz-x

It's stupid decision to lock new game plus to specific non-plus difficulty, you can't access Grounded+ without beating game on Grounded first, requiring players to beat game at least twice on same difficulty. Ideal way of doing this would be - first play through any difficulty, then you can select any difficulty for NGP.

In PS3 version there was a glitch that actually made it possible, you could do you first run on normal/hard, and instead of grinding normal+/hard+ for survivor+, you could go straight to survival+.

Someone mentioned that this bug got patched on PS3, if they kept system exactly the same for PS4 then it's really disappointing. I want to play through and do all the stuff available, like Ellie jokes/collectibles, then another play through on Grounded+ to try and beat challenging difficulty. As it stands, those who want to obtain platinum will have to play through game 3 times, 1 on easy/normal for collectibles, and two times on grounded - Grounded to unlock Grounded+ and then Grounded+ itself, and no, you can't get everything on Grounded since there is not enough shivs to open all locked doors.

I'm waiting to hear on if the NG+ glitch still works because that's what I would be doing. Playing on hard and then going into Grounded+ with the glitch. But just FYI you do NOT need to beat grounded to get the platinum, that is considered DLC. But for those of us out there that like to try and 100%, yeah you do :).

ClearData

Here hoping the give gold owners some love and release an app for us too.

The Headset Companion app works for either Sony Branded headset. You should have access to the same custom audio profiles that I do. Launch the app on your PS4 to make sure.

thenexus6

Few hours in first time playing.. Damn this game is on point! Can't wait to go deeper and deeper. Its the kind of game where I love taking my time and reading all the little notes, signs and what-have-you around the levels.

x-Lundz-x

Few hours in first time playing.. Damn this game is on point! Can't wait to go deeper and deeper. Its the kind of game where I love taking my time and reading all the little notes, signs and what-have-you around the levels.

Glad you are enjoying it, it just gets better man. Just wait until you get to Winter.

Absolutely.

Thanks.

Now I'm wondering how many playthroughs it will take to upgrade Joel and open all shiv doors since supplies will be super limited.

I'm guessing 3 playthroughs. Grounded, Grounded + and then Grounded ++.

I can't remember, when you do ++ can you lower the difficulty and still have everything carry over?

Rixxan

I'm very sorry if this has been answered but when does digital download unlock for play? If you preorder on the US Psn store now can you start downloading now?

x-Lundz-x

Thanks.

Now I'm wondering how many playthroughs it will take to upgrade Joel and open all shiv doors since supplies will be super limited.

I'm guessing 3 playthroughs. Grounded, Grounded + and then Grounded ++.

I can't remember, when you do ++ can you lower the difficulty and still have everything carry over?

I have yet to play grounded mode, but I would imagine two play troughs should be all you need, that's assuming you save your shivs and such. I can't imaging them making it to where you had to play 3 times to get everything.

Now, you might want to wait and see if the NG+ glitch works which is what I'll be trying. Playing on hard to get all the collectibles out of the way, and then using the glitch to play Grounded+ my second play though.

Having upgraded gear and supplements from the start of those modes gives the player an undue leg up. It's the same in mgs3, you can't unlock stealth camo on very easy then take it to extreme.

Hubb

The Headset Companion app works for either Sony Branded headset. You should have access to the same custom audio profiles that I do. Launch the app on your PS4 to make sure.

I know the app works for both but I am a new owner if the gold headset. I was led to believe they have two separate audio profiles for each headset. Hopefully I can use the elite ones.

foxdvd

someone said the NG+ glitch was patched on the ps3..but is that the case? the trophy sites all say it has not been patched...(edit to add that on the playstation trophy site it says the + glitch has NEVER been patched)

I have yet to play grounded mode, but I would imagine two play troughs should be all you need, that's assuming you save your shivs and such. I can't imaging them making it to where you had to play 3 times to get everything.

Now, you might want to wait and see if the NG+ glitch works which is what I'll be trying. Playing on hard to get all the collectibles out of the way, and then using the glitch to play Grounded+ my second play though.

I didn't use the glitch the first time around. So if it's still around i'll definitely use it, trying to minimize my playthroughs this time around.

If it does work and you play on normal first, then glitch to Grounded +. Will it unlock the trophies for beating the game on Hard, Survivor and Grounded normal? (as in, not +)

kubus

My buddy just texted me that you can't, even on two grounded runs he says it's still too limited. Maybe someone will have two grounded runs done by tomorrow and can confirm.
Aww man, that sucks if true. I don't really want to end up doing three playthroughs or something to get everything.

Andrew.

Banned
I know the app works for both but I am a new owner if the gold headset. I was led to believe they have two separate audio profiles for each headset. Hopefully I can use the elite ones.

There are indeed two separate audio profiles on the PS4 app. As soon as you boot it up, it asks which set you're using: Gold or Elite.

Top Bottom