• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Just a note for anyone hoping to platinum this who's new to it...

Informative, thanks.

I'm normally a trophy/achievement whore but lord have mercy, this game is just too demanding for my tastes. I don't mind that though, I think trophies of all kinds should exist. I like the variety, some games are an easy plat while games like TLoU takes quite a bit of dedication.

Love that flashlight effect.

i5i0CbuzypS0k.gif

Just a note for anyone hoping to platinum this who's new to it:

Generally speaking, it's not that tough. On the PS3, you needed to beat the game around four times (the trophies for the respective difficulties stack) - normal, survivor (very hard, unlocked after one playthrough), normal plus and survivor plus. Because Remastered also has the DLC difficulty, Grounded, it also has two trophies for it; a trophy for one regular and a trophy for one NG+ playthrough.

I know some folk on GAF recommend going as high as possible, difficulty wise, because TLOU's gameplay flourishes when you do that - but I wouldn't recommend going higher than 'hard' on your first run-through. The higher difficulties are punishing enough, without going in blind. I'd recommend sticking to the above PS3 template. Even if you're a glutton for punishment, I'd still say do NOT go immediately to Grounded. It's difficult to the point I think it could alienate first time players. I find it maddening on my SIXTH playthrough. It seems designed for masochists and people who know the levels back-to-front.

Trophies for upgrading Joel and his weapons can only be attained via second playthroughs (new game plus).

Multiplayer was fairly straight forward before DLC - beat both the 'campaigns', which essentially involves playing online for around 40 hours. It's totally doable and the MP is super fun. However, the DLC brought new trophies - specifically ones for playing a game on each new map, without dying, and getting three downs or executions in the process. These trophies are a bastard. I still haven't gotten them all and I play a lot. The standard of play once you level up a decent amount is very high, and getting through a round unscathed is a real achievement. Good luck with those.

Left Behind's trophies are straight forward, but it is possible to miss some by failing mini-games which I wont spoil here.

Sorry if I'm covering ground discussed elsewhere, I'm catching up on the thread as we speak. Very jealous of folks who get to experience this for the first time this week - not even on PS4 - just jealous of people who get to experience it for the first time!

This is no joke. I did four of them legit (as in got 3 downs/kills then went and hid). I felt like a crap teammate so I just boosted the last 4. ND really goofed with those trophies. I see what they were trying to do but they just don't understand trophies I guess.

This is no joke. I did four of them legit (as in got 3 downs/kills then went and hid). I felt like a crap teammate so I just boosted the last 4. ND really goofed with those trophies. I see what they were trying to do but they just don't understand trophies I guess.
Y'all know these trophies were changed?

DigiMish

If I beat the game on Grounded, can I do a New Game + on another difficulty?

You can do a new game plus on the same difficulty that you beat the game with plus any lower ones.

So if you beat the game on survivor, you can't do new game plus on grounded since it's considered a higher difficulty.

Andrew.

Banned
Yo

Listen to that guy about starting on Grounded. All that alienation and such. It WILL happen if your cherry hasn't been popped yet. Even if you haven't played it for a year I wouldn't suggest jumping to it first. And this is coming from a guy who gave up right before Winter and who has played through the game at least ten times. It really is dedicated not so much to masochistic tendencies, but much more so to people who are very, very used to area structure, the best use of conservation and enemy placement. There's a fair bit of luck involved too.

The lack of supplies and ammunition on top of only being able to take a couple hits before dying is no fucking joke. Let us not forget the more spread out checkpoint system either.

Yo

Listen to that guy about starting on Grounded. All that alienation and such. It WILL happen if your cherry hasn't been popped yet. Even if you haven't played it for a year I wouldn't suggest jumping to it first. And this is coming from a guy who gave up right before Winter and who has played through the game at least ten times. It really is dedicated not so much to masochistic tendencies, but much more so to people who are very, very used to area structure, the best use of conservation and enemy placement. There's a fair bit of luck involved too.

The lack of supplies and ammunition on top of only being able to take a couple hits before dying is no fucking joke. Let us not forget the more spread out checkpoint system either.
yup...i'm starting on survivor, my third playthrough...

Grounded is pretty crazy...not even going to set myself up for failure like that...

todd360

Just read the trophy list. Wth why do they want us to beat Grounded twice? I was thinking I could do one grounded run and then do new game plus on easy to get more upgrade supplies or something.

Just pre-ordered. I buckled and caved. Going to play the MP a lot as well. I haven't actually owned the game, just beat it on a rental. Feels good, real good.

Generally speaking, it's not that tough. On the PS3, you needed to beat the game around four times (the trophies for the respective difficulties stack) - normal, survivor (very hard, unlocked after one playthrough), normal plus and survivor plus. Because Remastered also has the DLC difficulty, Grounded, it also has two trophies for it; a trophy for one regular and a trophy for one NG+ playthrough.

I know some folk on GAF recommend going as high as possible, difficulty wise, because TLOU's gameplay flourishes when you do that - but I wouldn't recommend going higher than 'hard' on your first run-through. The higher difficulties are punishing enough, without going in blind. I'd recommend sticking to the above PS3 template. Even if you're a glutton for punishment, I'd still say do NOT go immediately to Grounded. It's difficult to the point I think it could alienate first time players. I find it maddening on my SIXTH playthrough. It seems designed for masochists and people who know the levels back-to-front.

Trophies for upgrading Joel and his weapons can only be attained via second playthroughs (new game plus).

Multiplayer was fairly straight forward before DLC - beat both the 'campaigns', which essentially involves playing online for around 40 hours. It's totally doable and the MP is super fun. However, the DLC brought new trophies - specifically ones for playing a game on each new map, without dying, and getting three downs or executions in the process. These trophies are a bastard. I still haven't gotten them all and I play a lot. The standard of play once you level up a decent amount is very high, and getting through a round unscathed is a real achievement. Good luck with those.

Left Behind's trophies are straight forward, but it is possible to miss some by failing mini-games which I wont spoil here.

Sorry if I'm covering ground discussed elsewhere, I'm catching up on the thread as we speak. Very jealous of folks who get to experience this for the first time this week - not even on PS4 - just jealous of people who get to experience it for the first time!

I'd like to expand on the multiplayer trophies part. The metagame 'campaigns' can be difficult to accomplish depending on your choices early on. Try and accomplish the more difficult challenges early on when the stakes are much lower and can take the loss, and save the easy challenges for the 100% risk events.

Failing the final challenge and also dealing with the buggy mess that came about after the Interrogation update had me abandon the game's mp.

Uzumaki Goku

I'm definitely looking forward to picking this up tomorrow, I borrowed the PS3 version last year from a friend, thought about buying it this year but figured I'd wait till the PS4 version was out. It does look fantastic and I'll finally be able to be play Left Behind.

KevinG

Now I'm regretting my physical purchase. I don't even know why, it's not as if I'd even get to play tonight, and I'm working a 12 hour day tomorrow which means I wouldn't be just sitting around waiting for UPS.

ChuckNyce

Dangit, this happens to me EVERY time before a major release. I've got the disk preordered at Best Buy ($42 with GCU) but now I'm thinking I want to go digital and maybe get a chance to play some tonight assuming I can get the MP downloaded at a reasonable time. Decisions decisions....

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK, start the download at midnight, get some sleep, get up at 5 and try to get a little game in before work... I can make that happen.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Thanks, Will I need to beat it on grounded difficulty for the platinum or is that outside the main trophy set?

antitrop

Doesn't really matter what time it unlocks to me, I'll be watching the live reading until 4:30am then hitting the sack! I presume it'll be available by the time I wake up.

I have to work from 6-2, it'll be too hard to not get in trouble for reading the thread on my phone the entire shift.

Now I'm regretting my physical purchase. I don't even know why, it's not as if I'd even get to play tonight, and I'm working a 12 hour day tomorrow which means I wouldn't be just sitting around waiting for UPS.

I'm in the same boat. If game is available at 12 ET that means it'll be more like 12:30 before the store actually lets me DL it, going by past experience.

Since the game is ~ 44 GB, even if it's split 34 GB for SP and 10 GB for multi, and I need to DL half the SP to start playing, that's still 17 GB which would be about 1.5 hours at my download speeds.

So really I'd be playing around 2 ET at earliest, which is 12 am my time, and I work in the morning.

And yet....here I am looking at the PS store page contemplating ordering it!!

EDIT:

You pick SP or MP to play first. I believe someone said 5GB

Oh shit. If it's 5 GB I am TOTALLY going digital for this shit.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looking good as expected. Going to wait for a price drop though, its shame there is no digital discount on this game if you already have it on PS3. If there was any kind of upgrade program, I would have bought it right away.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nope, the DLC trophies are separate and treated as if they are DLC, just like the PS3 version.

Great thanks, gonna try and platinum it this time around. Hopefully survivor will be unlocked from the beginning.

Vizzeh

Banned
Work booked off tomorrow (just back from Holiday today in Munich/Budapest) so its extremely "convenient" for me that TLOU is out tonight. Prob be my 4th play through, watched a friend complete it also...this will likely be a platinum (I dont plat that many games) ....But yeah.... I like The Last of Us.

d9b

Banned
Ok, stupid question:
Just purchased the game from US psn... If I leave my PS4 on standby will it automatically start downloading whenever the store updates?

Top Bottom