• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

Fuck! Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride. Another amazing ep of my favorite show on TV right now. Gotta say the scene with Kevin and Laurie in the hotel was really powerful...it seemed like her talk got through to him too. :(

And that ending was a straight up punch in the gut. I want to see more damnit!

Tonight was the best episode of the best show on television right now. We're witnessing something special.

Pretty sure Virgil offed himself to guide Kevin back to the living. Can't wait for next week.

RaidenZR

That was interesting... Umm, why the fuck was Kevin on board still after hearing the "success story" was the dude on the pillar? I'd have been out so fast. Haha

The crazy shit is that when the first season ended I was like "yeah this show is ok hopefully they can step it up in season 2." The show went from ok to excellent real quick. So impressed.

TheFrza

Wow, that was unexpected.

I had a feeling something was about to happen, but WOW.

I did say to myself that it would be funny if Virgil Office Space'd and had a heart attack; then he drains the needle and...Holy shit.

I wonder, why didn't Kevin try the trick Laurie suggested with Patti, i.e., asking her something only she and Patti would have known? I'm guessing because it wouldn't have made a difference, like knowing you're depressed doesn't make you un-depressed.

5taquitos

I wonder, why didn't Kevin try the trick Laurie suggested with Patti, i.e., asking her something only she and Patti would have known? I'm guessing because it wouldn't have made a difference, like knowing you're depressed doesn't make you un-depressed.

Patti could have said anything and Kevin wouldn't have been able to verify it.

Just spitballing.

• Michael can't commit to Jill because he's confused. This is good. Don't go telling every girl you love them.
  • Virgil, the magical black guy in the woods (that'sracist.gif. haha Patti) molested Michael. Was this ever hinted at beforehand?
  • John shot Virgil multiple times, including shooting his penis?
  • Wouldn't Erika, of all people, be more staunch about this than the confrontation from the past episode?
  • I guess that Virgil told Michael the plan and that's what lead to the "God bless you" line.
  • Why would Virgil/Michael be cohorts in doing that to Kevin?
  • Virgil is a fraud. The guy in the Pillar wasn't cured, because he could he still see Patti.

Just spitballing.

• Michael can't commit to Jill because he's confused. This is good. Don't go telling every girl you love them.
  • Virgil, the magical black guy in the woods (that'sracist.gif. haha Patti) molested Michael. Was this ever hinted at beforehand?
  • Wouldn't Erika, of all people, be more staunch about this than the confrontation from the past episode?
  • I guess that Virgil told Michael the plan and that's what lead to the "God bless you" line.
  • Virgil is a fraud. The guy in the Pillar wasn't cured, because he could he still see Patti.

To address your last three points (are spoiler tags appropriate? Not sure how OT threads like this work):

Virgil said that Kevin would need some type of a guide to rejoin the living. Pretty sure Virgil offed himself to guide Kevin back to the living, and I think that wherever Michael is dragging Kevin has something to do with that as well. I'm assuming they didn't share this plan with Kevin because they figured he'd think it was crazy and not want to do it.
Can't wait for next week.

Just spitballing.

Good call, totally didn't think of this.

I thought Virgil/Michael were in cahoots as a way for Virgil to make a peace offering to John.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Speculation (have not read anything)

Yeah, I think Virgil will guide Kevin and he will come back to life. I also have a feeling that when he comes back Patty will still be there and she will be proven to be real when Kevin tells Laurie that he knows about the baby that departed.

5taquitos

Good call, totally didn't think of this.

I thought Virgil/Michael were in cahoots as a way for Virgil to make a peace offering to John.

He [pillar guy] doesn't necessarily see Patti. Kevin was talking to her fairly loudly, and since the guy had struggled with the same thing before, maybe he just assumed Kevin was going through the same thing.

j-wood

Just spitballing.

No, Virgil molested Michael's dad (John) when his dad was a kid. His dad grew up, and got his revenge as an adult when he shot him, including shooting him in the penis.

GRIP

I'm not really sure why people are so convinced that the guy on the pillar could actually see Patti. He was front and center for one of Kevin's episodes and saw him talking at someone, but that doesn't mean he could actually see her. The only thing the "who's your friend?" line implies is that he recognizes Kevin is talking to someone other than himself.

5taquitos

No, Virgil molested Michael's dad when his dad was a kid. His dad grew up, and got his revenge as an adult when he shot him, including shooting him in the penis.

I went back and forth on this. I could see it both ways, and they don't make it explicit. I think it makes more sense that Michael was molested, and John tried to kill Virgil when he found out. It's definitely also possible that John himself was molested and waited 20ish years to get revenge.

j-wood

I went back and forth on this. I could see it both ways, and they don't make it explicit. I think it makes more sense that Michael was molested, and John tried to kill Virgil when he found out. It's definitely also possible that John himself was molested and waited 20ish years to get revenge.

The problem with that is I really don't see how Michael would continue to go hang out with Virgil. Especially with him being religious. It makes more sense that John is mad that Michael still visits his uncle because of what he did to John, and him not wanting that to happen to Michael.

5taquitos

The problem with that is I really don't see how Michael would continue to go hang out with Virgil. Especially with him being religious. It makes more sense that John is mad that Michael still visits his uncle because of what he did to John, and him not wanting that to happen to Michael.

I dunno, maybe Michael was molested but has since forgiven Virgil (which would fit his pious character), and that pisses John off because he hasn't forgiven Virgil at all.

I could be absolutely wrong though, just my interpretation based on few facts.

The guy on the Pillar didn't nessicarily see Patti, he saw Kevin talking to thin air and just assumed, maybe by his own experiences that he was talking to his imaginary "friend".

Edited:

You might be right, j-wood. It makes more sense that Virgil molested John. I think that's the angle that makes more sense considering how John is. I'm remembering now that Erika said something about what John would think if he knew Michael was going out to see
Virgil. That would set him off again. Michael is doing mostly everything by the book and is probably praying for forgiveness for Virgil. And since he's really into the religious thing, pre-material sex with Jill is a no-no.

Also let me say that everything Jill is doing make absolute sense. She has always needed a strong family dynamic. Things were getting better with Nora around, the baby to care for and Kevin more normal that he had being. Her outburst is natural because it's all crumbling down again.

TheFrza

The one issue I had of this episode was the fact that Nora just up and left. That seemed out of character for her.

I know that Kevin and her are supposed to tell each other everything, but for her to just dip seems extreme. Especially without talking to him more first.

The one issue I had of this episode was the fact that Nora just up and left. That seemed out of character for her.

I know that Kevin and her are supposed to tell each other everything, but for her to just dip seems extreme. Especially without talking to him more first.

Nora is irrational. Credit to the show for making her seem like the most together character in the cast. She's got a ton of issues and they just don't manifest themselves in a showy manner. She'll change on the whim to do things that suit her needs.

5taquitos

It seems very in character for her, I think. I mean, she just up and left New York and bought a 3 million dollar house on a whim. She's incredibly flighty. If she doesn't think it's safe, she leaves.

vpance

Mostly there to keep the viewer guessing I think. Is he really crazy or is that annoying limbo spirit dealie Virgil told him about actually a thing.

TheFrza

Nora is irrational. Credit to the show for making her seem like the most together character in the cast. She's got a ton of issues and they just don't manifest themselves in a showy manner. She'll change on the whim to do things that suit her needs.

It seems very in character for her, I think. I mean, she just up and left New York and bought a 3 million dollar house on a whim. She's incredibly flighty. If she doesn't think it's safe, she leaves.

Good points that make a great deal of sense. I suppose I was lulled into thinking she would stick by Kevin no matter what. I was honestly surprised when it was revealed that she actually left. (I thought Patti was fucking with him, although she is usually right with her comments)

Mostly there to keep the viewer guessing I think. Is he really crazy or is that annoying limbo spirit dealie Virgil told him about actually a thing.

Or even, did Virgil really poison him, or is it some sort of temporary death concoction that Kevin will come out of on his own?

Erigu

Yeah, with her everything revolves around her feeling safe. Psycho boyfriend is not safe.
Boyfriend who secretly buried a woman who had allegedly killed herself in front of him after he abducted her during some weird sleepwalking episode was entirely fine, apparently.
But wait, what's that? It turns out he's been having what may well be (as far as Nora can tell) trauma-induced hallucinations regarding that "little incident"? Now, that's crazy! Time to immediately get the fuck out!

Boyfriend who secretly buried a woman who had allegedly killed herself in front of him after he abducted her during some weird sleepwalking episode was entirely fine, apparently.
But wait, what's that? It turns out he has what may well be (as far as Nora can tell) trauma-induced hallucinations regarding that "little incident"? Now, that's crazy! Time to immediately get the fuck out!

Are you ever not way too sarcastic?

Kevin's admission in episode 2 isn't the worst thing in the world. Especially when it's the GR leader and Nora is well aware of how twisted they act.

The handcuff is like an extension of the hiring prostitutes to shoot her thing. Nora is a freak probably.

Kevin admitting that he's seeing someone, a ghost of Patty, combined with the sleepwalking sounds like a reason to give up and leave.

Virgil killed himself so he can now guide Kevin to where he needs to go in the afterlife. This is why the epinephrine is never used. Because Virgil knows if he told him what he really had to do, fight his own demons, he would not agree to take the poison without a definitive way back. The reason for this lies in the The Divine Comedy. Virgil is Dante's guide through the 7 levels of hell. He guides him through these to reach heaven, but Virgil is also a torchered soul, who can not enter the gates, but only guide him to where he needs be. In killing himself he atoned for his sins but ultimately sacrifices himself to help Kevin find his path. Truly brilliant.

Top Bottom