• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

vpance

Lindelof just took the show to the next level. I was lmao when saw that they took the metaphysical route.

belushy

Banned
Oh boy. Can't wait for these last two episodes. Hopefully it doesn't end here, but I think this season is strong enough to warrant it ending on a good note.

RaidenZR

Crazy episode. I have no idea what to expect from this show on a weekly basis. Props to Justin Theroux. He plays incredulous and confused so well. I can appreciate his WTF moments because they are pretty much how I'm reacting.

Wow, was not expecting anything at all like that. Kudos.

I think Mary is dead

That part was super interesting...

If anything though, I think what the episode showed us is emphasizing that she's in a limbo state, one I sorta believe she could have drifted in and out of. At the very least, it keeps that notion of her regaining consciousness a very grey area.

ezekial45

Banned
Man, Lindelof is kicking ass. I was intrigued by the first season, but it didn't totally win me more. But now, it's my most anticipated show on Sundays. This is just on another level.

This better get another season.

I enjoyed season 1 more than the majority of people. There are about 3 episodes of season 1 that are top quality television. This season has been episode after episode of some of the best TV I've ever watched. Another crazy 10/10 episode tonight. Can't wait for the last 2 and really hope HBO will renew for another season that would wrap up the show.

This show man....

It has got me feeling like how when LOST was on the air and I had to read every book they alluded to in every episode. Now I've got to read The Divine Comedy again.

I need a third season

BrokenBox

I can't remember if it was already said or implied somewhere in Matt's episode, but the Bellhop "confirmed" that Mary's baby is a boy.

EDIT: ... and why wouldn't it be a boy? Duh.

hokahey

This thread should be 50 pages long. What are you doing GAF? Watch this shit.

I was SO worried when I realized the show was going the direction it did tonight. But my god, what an incredible bit of television that was. I felt like I was holding my breath for an hour.

I was worried for a moment when I saw they were going this direction but goddamn did they prove me wrong. Beautiful stuff. And I loved the operatic song that flowed through the episode. I think this will be quite a nice season to watch again because of all the details.

Only 2 more tho. But it has been so good I can't complain. Nothing quite like this on TV. More people should be watching.

J-bo

Great hour of TV. Really hoping the last few episodes can keep up with this shows amazing last couple of episodes.

Having never watched Lost, I can't compare the work, but this season has been special.

Well I was wrong. I thought it would be a Tommy episode based on the title

The way some of the time jumps have been happening made me assume we'd have to wait to find out what Kevin Garvey er Kevin Harvey would go through. Dude fucking Jason Bourne or something in the afterlife. The people he encounters how it all comes together in one episode. Incredible stuff.

Makes you wonder about Lost. I'm a hardcore devotee of that show. What's going on here however is like a condensed re-do that eliminates many of the network imposed structural issues. Like I can't believe that in 2015, this is the kind of TV show my eyes and mind are seeing. It's shocking in the best way.

And again, when we see Kevin come out of the water at the beginning, I said "No they didn't!" I was not prepared.

More direct thoughts on the hotel purgatory.

If Mary is there, she's brain dead.
Also, I can't take credit for this, someone on Twitter thinks the bird was on of Erica's that's dead now.

Tonight's episode question.

How many fire alarms went off? Was it 3? Did Kevin awake from the ground after 3 days? Or was it the same night? More questions to be answered.

Tonight's episode question.

How many fire alarms went off? Was it 3? Did Kevin awake from the ground after 3 days? Or was it the same night? More questions to be answered.

Twice. Nah it don't think it's that. His dad's crazy friends are lighting a fire inside a hotel room, thus triggering a smoke detector that's going off in his purgatory based hotel room. It seems like we see two days.

Edit:

I feel like I missed something about Mary.

She was there?

Kevin goes outside and ask the flower delivery guyif they're for him. The person says Mary Jamison. Then we she someone looking like Mary receive them in the hotel.

RaidenZR

More direct thoughts on the hotel purgatory.

If Mary is there, she's brain dead.

Something's up with the Mary character. There has to be more to come with her as a presence on the show (if it gets a season 3, that is). Otherwise, why get an accomplished actress to play that role?

RELIGHT

Banned
That was artful.

FUCKING BRILLIANT EPISODE! I want to hug everyone right now.

The Holy Wayne cameo tho....My gosh....

What was the meaning behind the not drinking the water? I get that it probably wipes your memory but what's the metaphor there?

Fucking incredible episode of television, holy shit. Can't even believe what I just watched, but I'm really shocked the show actually went the route I hoped it would take after last week's cliffhanger. This episode gave me some SERIOUS Lost vibes in the best sense.

Man, I'm happy I decided to give this show another shot after not really liking the first season, this season has just been one great episode after the next.

jmelons

Something bothers me about the "Virgil is Kevin's guide" theory. I'm
full of bullshit

Well,
fuck my ass.
I did not expect that. Even with all the clues pointing towards that, I never believed the show would go in this direction. Still loved the episode, still love the show. Two episodes left; can't wait to see where we go from here.

What was the meaning behind the not drinking the water? I get that it probably wipes your memory but what's the metaphor there?

I get the feeling that it was along the lines of "drinking the koolaid;" e.g. buying in to something. This something being that you are, indeed, dead. If he had drank the water, he would have forgotten his mission, thus staying in purgatory forever. Dying, in other words. Perhaps one of the birds drank the water, explaining why it died and the other did not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Erigu

Seriously, could somebody try and explain why exactly they thought that nonsense was good? I'm bewildered.

I get the feeling that it was along the lines of "drinking the koolaid;" e.g. buying in to something.
I took it as a reference to the various myths according to which eating food from the underworld traps you there.
In The Leftovers, I guess drinking some pool's water will also be a problem. Alcohol is fine though! Hey, don't (ever) think too hard about all that: "the rules are malleable", as they say.
("it's all part of a larger mythos"... heh...)

Seriously, could somebody try and explain why exactly they thought that nonsense was good? I'm bewildered.

Seriously, could somebody try and explain why someone would watch Lindelof written shows for ten plus years and haunt their threads just to be a constant troll? I'm bewildered.

Erigu

Seriously, could somebody try and explain why someone would watch Lindelof written shows for ten plus years and haunt their threads just to be a constant troll? I'm bewildered.
Well, that was quick, and not exactly unexpected, considering how many times that shit happened in the Lost threads...
Note how my question actually was about the show. Do you think you could answer it instead of trying to make this about me (because... I'm so fucking interesting, really? or more probably it's just easier to attack the critic than to actually try and defend the show!)?

Greecian-

I took it as a reference to the various myths according to which eating food from the underworld traps you there.
In The Leftovers, I guess drinking some pool's water will also be a problem. Alcohol is fine though! Hey, don't (ever) think too hard about all that: "the rules are malleable", as they say.

Why does it bother you that others find enjoyment in this show? If it's not your cup of tea, don't watch. I don't like liver and onions but I don't question why other people like it.

Erigu

Why does it bother you that others find enjoyment in this show?
Like I said, I think it's poorly written, pretentious nonsense. And while that may still be entertaining to watch if you're like me, I find it bewildering that some consider that shit to be genuinely good (it would bother me a lot more if it were actually successful, like Lost was, but I guess we're good on that front!).

Back to this week's episode.
Protagonist wakes up in Hotel Purgatory.
Magical Negro character "explains" what's going on (by which I mean, he really doesn't: "do this because, don't do that because, this is all very important and you only get one shot which is why I won't take the time to elaborate, besides the logic at work here is far more advanced than your Earth logic anyway", i.e. classic Lindelof bullshit).
So Protagonist is in some kind of assassination scenario because... that will make for some action and suspense, I guess? No need to be particularly imaginative with that shit either: just like in The Godfather indeed.
After a few easy cameos and Patti's super-convincing theory about assassins (it's a bit like with her "you do understand" bit just prior to her suicide, last season: why bother writing something actually convincing when you can just have your characters act like it is convincing? could be more than enough for the audience!), just kidding, that didn't do shit, and we're off to scenario B, as suggested by drugged-out Dad in a scene that, after the National Geographic crap from last year, was once again indistinguishable from parody: Protagonist has to take her to the well (yes, The Island The Town has a Magical Well). "Because", "no time to elaborate", etc.
But wait: Patti is a terribly antipathetic character (well, everybody's an asshole, on this show, sure, but that one, you're actually supposed to hate), so it's going to be pretty hard to inspire "feels" if all Protagonist has to do is throw her down a well. Especially considering she's already dead, and this all takes place in some weird purgatory world. Well, they have an easy (= lazy) solution to that: let's turn her into an entirely different character! A kid! A Patti who's actually afraid of dying (well, "dying"? again?), never mind how she killed herself last season! Man, Lindelof and Urasawa really have a lot in common.
Oh, and there was that cryptic (naturally) Charon-ish character, on the way to the well. Man, what he said was probably mind-blowing, huh? I mean, we didn't hear anything, but still!
Also, "Va, pensiero". Every ten minutes or so. It was like somebody on the set was constantly getting calls from his mother, and that was his ring tone.

Now, what about you guys? Why do you think the episode was good?

Did Lindelof just shit all over the Test Dream? I'm pretty sure he did.

Bahahahah

this episode was so transparent

did anyone really think there wouldn't be a bullshit" dream" episode after the way last one ended

Kevin harvey.. Kevin finnerty.. mistaken identities in a hotel.. sounds familiar

also pretty sure the test dream made a similar riff on the godfather.. Hmm

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really did pick the perfect time to start watching this show finally and catch up. Just watched the newest episode and..."Holy shit."

I know this is an odd show to binge, but I watched the majority of Season 2 today and I've loved every episode. Not a weak one in the batch so far.

This show is definitely an acquired taste (especially S1) but I'm buying whatever crazy they're selling this season.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really don't know what to make of this show.

I keep getting reminded of Lost week after week, but it's so bloody compelling. I can't look away.

I just hope it doesn't end on a shit of a note like Lost that I turn back and look at the show, as a whole, and think of it negatively. There has to be a clear endgame for this! It's fucking crazy to the point that I need to know what's happening!

Erigu

I just hope it doesn't end on a shit of a note like Lost that I turn back and look at the show, as a whole, and think of it negatively. There has to be a clear endgame for this! It's fucking crazy to the point that I need to know what's happening!
They already said they wouldn't explain.
It's almost like some kind of experiment: "will people still be lured in by our BS mysteries even if, this time around, we actually tell them they won't get answers?"

I get the feeling that it was along the lines of "drinking the koolaid;" e.g. buying in to something. This something being that you are, indeed, dead. If he had drank the water, he would have forgotten his mission, thus staying in purgatory forever. Dying, in other words. Perhaps one of the birds drank the water, explaining why it died and the other did not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The act of drinking water is a clear reference to one of the five rivers flowing through Hades that would cause forgetfulness in those who imbibed from it.

10/10 episode. This show is pushing the envelope and taking risks that few shows have ever taken. This show is becoming something special.

Top Bottom