• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Script excerpt from Sunday's episode gives us some Nora dialog and erm...yikes?

r7bTjnz.jpg

Iceman

I still think this might be out of context. At least I hope it is.

Yeah, it's likely part of a playful, hypothetical back and forth between her and Kevin Jr. Lacks the content and implied subtextual meaning. And depending on its location in the script (beginning, middle or end), could mean several different things.

I remember Manchester By The Sea using a script page as a marketing poster at Arclight theaters -- the dialogue read flat and virtually carried no meaning. Then I saw the scene play out in the movie and it crushed my soul. Context is everything.

Saty

Like, Kevin Sr. might be right. Dog-people could be real. If Kevin can't die, if people can access a limbo world using drugs, if a hug breaks comma. They could pass up anything that happens in the show because the act of world-building is close to zero in this show. So sure.

Will we get any answers or a sense of grasp of the various questions and mysteries The Leftovers raises up that have nothing to do with why and where people vanished to?

Seems like they can't be arsed about addressing the straightforward GR thing. I'm still hung up on that. They bombed that one branch and never looked back. Was it an opening strike against every GR group? Did all the other GR leader sit on their hands after hearing their friends were killed? Like, how can you ignore that. And, not that i read any reviews of the season, how can they be so positive if S3 tries to make it look like the GR was never a thing. Like it wasn't one the main aspects of the show -- and the most criticized part.

It must be nice to basically write this side of the show out of existence and not catch flak for it. Even if it dawns upon the creator that this giant part of the narrative was trash, you can't just throw it away like that. This seems to me like 'final season, this many eps, we don't have time for that shit' type of move.

Has 'shortened final season' ever paid off creatively?

Erigu

Will we get any answers or a sense of grasp of the various questions and mysteries The Leftovers raises up that have nothing to do with why and where people vanished to?
"Hey, Kevin Sr., what was up with that scene in the purgatory hotel, when you showed up on the TV screen?
- Oh, yeah, that totally happened. But I was on drugs, so I guess we'll never know why / how!"

Clearly, we can expect loose ends to get tied up in an elegant, skillful manner.

("Also, I vaguely remember something about being on an outrigger, and randomly shooting at another, distant boat.
- Well, I guess that explains everything.")

It must be nice to basically write this side of the show out of existence and not catch flak for it.
Nothing to see, there. "Universal acclaim!"

I also like how the main characters' "arcs" are more like... short loops. This couple isn't working! -> Wait, it's the end of the season: family is everything. -> This couple isn't working! -> ...
There again, that doesn't seem to bother TV critics at all. That's nice.

This thread looks like a mess right now so I'm not gonna dig into that. Just came to say I'd missed the last two episodes because of end-of-semester craziness and just got caught up. The whole thing with the horselady's kids was so fucking terrible. And the earnestness of Kevin Sr. He's so convinced he's right. But so are people like Matt... hell, most of them. I think he makes a wonderful comparison, because we know he's off, but really, isn't everyone else?

All I keep coming back to, though, is this: this is the most terrible vision of a post-apocalyptic world because everything is pseudo-normal and people are trying to be normal but absolutely nothing is normal and it's slowly killing everyone.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

G'Day Melbourne

Kevin and Nora take a trip to Australia, where she continues to follow the masterminds of an elaborate con, while he is surprised by a face from the past that takes him back to the traumatic events from three years ago.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
All I keep coming back to, though, is this: this is the most terrible vision of a post-apocalyptic world because everything is pseudo-normal and people are trying to be normal but absolutely nothing is normal and it's slowly killing everyone.

I don't really think this world qualifies as 'post-apocalyptic'. While 2% of the population is a decent number of people the world could and would continue on relatively unchanged. It's just not a large enough amount of the population to really effect the functionality of the world.

Tonight is Sunday. Woooo!!!

I don't really think this world qualifies as 'post-apocalyptic'. While 2% of the population is a decent number of people the world could and would continue on relatively unchanged. It's just not a large enough amount of the population to really effect the functionality of the world.

Tonight is Sunday. Woooo!!!

It shouldn't qualify as post-apocalyptic, but look how pervasive the effects have been (not just in what we see, but what we hear about how people are generally functioning in the world). It's not a matter of numbers. It's a matter of impact. The unknown, the specter of repeat hovering over things, the change to governments and responses, the continued fallout... what's that but apocalypse? Not to get pedantic, but to get pedantic, just because it's not what we usually see or associate with apocalypse doesn't mean it doesn't fit the profile. That it's a very different envisioning of a widespread, world-order adjusting event is part of what makes it interesting!

Started first season today, up to episode five and this show is amazing.

Sadly HBO Go is the worst streaming app I've tried in my entire life, errors every where, can't stream because "too many devices" when I only have one, have to load the app and episode three or four times because I keep getting errors, can't sign out because, of course, errors. Can't stream on my PC because "too many devices", I finally singed out on my PC and Phone, sign in on just one "too many devices". Tried to log on my Phone again "error".

Fuc* this, I'll just torrent the rest, I pay my service after all so is not piracy, right? anyway fuc* that app.

Hey, there's my avatar!

edit: and it lined up perfectly with the script excerpt I posted yesterday!

edit edit: What the fuck is up with TIME? I thought Kevin Senior threw away the only copy of the Book of Kevin last week? So, that was the future?

deeganay

Neo Member
Okay the music in this show is absolutely amazing! The final scene with Nora and Take on Me playing was just great!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Really good episode. Nora answered the opposite way that the guy who set himself on fire last week did and she was still rejected, so I'm thinking they must not have believed that she wanted to go through with it. But now I think after breaking it off with Kevin and what he told her that she's ready.

Next week looks crazy.

Hey, there's my avatar!

edit: and it lined up perfectly with the script excerpt I posted yesterday!

edit edit: What the fuck is up with TIME? I thought Kevin Senior threw away the only copy of the Book of Kevin last week? So, that was the future?

Matt lied. He said it was the only copy but sent one to Kevin Sr.

Matt lied. He said it was the only copy but sent one to Kevin Sr.
Given this episode saying Kevin Sr. went missing a month ago on the news, I think Matt was telling the truth since when he told Jr. there was only one copy could've come after Sr. threw the other copy away. It's also possible I've gotten things mixed up.

Just finished season 1, fucking amazing!

Have to sleep now, I'll catch up for the next sunday, I'll probably finish season 2 in a couple of days.

Given this episode saying Kevin Sr. went missing a month ago on the news, I think Matt was telling the truth since when he told Jr. there was only one copy could've come after Sr. threw the other copy away. It's also possible I've gotten things mixed up.

oh fuck you're right

also i am so loling at the argument about the script excerpt as it was so perfectly employed in context

love it when doubters take the L

They def went a bit overboard with the writing of all aussies being ocker, but it's funny none the less.

Am I a horrible person for cracking up laughing when Kevin looked back at his phone at it wasn't Evie, the expression on the person's face in the picture was hilarious to me.

Top Bottom