• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

I wonder was it her answer? The nonchalant attitude with which she gave then answer? The indifference despite it being the ONLY question they wanted answered?

Erigu

Thank you, new episode, for being so thoughtful as to come up with more artificial drama in order to drive the point home that, once again, the characters haven't grown at all, and the epiphany from the last season finale didn't count any more than the one from the first season finale.

"Universal acclaim!"
- Totally sober TV critics

Chumley

Banned
Well it can't be the answer since the guy who burned himself alive gave the opposite answer so I dunno what their angle is.

Likely just trying to psychologically torture people for fun. Whatever the scam is, it's a diabolical one.

Also, loved the episode. On one hand, Kevin is right that Nora bailing on him after his last psychological break was fucked up. On the other hand, he was way too hard on her to say she only wants people to feel bad for her, as if she's constantly bringing up her kids to everyone she meets. Amazingly acted final scene regardless, Theroux has improved a lot as an actor even since S1.

Erigu

Likely just trying to psychologically torture people for fun. Whatever the scam is, it's a diabolical one.
"Diabolical"? It's goddamn miraculous! They've somehow managed to stay under the radar for years even as they keep giving out USB keys full of evidence to their candidates and reject some of them over some tricky (and, I'm sure, completely justified) psychological quiz.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Also, loved the episode. On one hand, Kevin is right that Nora bailing on him after his last psychological break was fucked up. On the other hand, he was way too hard on her to say she only wants people to feel bad for her, as if she's constantly bringing up her kids to everyone she meets. Amazingly acted final scene regardless, Theroux has improved a lot as an actor even since S1.

The fact that she smokes is pretty much connecting her implicitly to the Guilty Remnant at that point.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love this show. Spectacular episode.

Chumley

Banned
The fact that she smokes is pretty much connecting her implicitly to the Guilty Remnant at that point.

Norah? How?

Also, quoting from AVC because it sums up my feelings on their argument pretty well -

"I don't think Kevin or anybody else has the right to tell Nora to "move on". If her pain is inconvenient for him, so be it. The notion that losing an entire family is something other than a permanent scar seems callous and self-serving. I know parents who lost only one child who never "got over it".
Our contemporary demand that everybody bury grief is entirely unhealthy."

Chumley

Banned
I'm not saying she's GR, just that she's thematically linked to their characteristics given that she's constantly haunted by her family and they existed basically to remind people that they can't just move on.

Sure, but no one ever moves on from their kids dying. Being haunted by them isn't just something she can fix, it's not a choice and she's not actively imposing her grief on others and talking about it all the time. The GR was full of some people who lost loved ones, but some who didn't, and their underlying motivation was a choice to make everyone else feel miserable and guilty on purpose. People who know Nora see her as a victim and nothing she could ever do would change that, just like nothing she can ever do will make her "get over" her entire family dying.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The song choice at the end was great. It elevated what would have otherwise been a pretty melodramatic moment into something special.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sure, but no one ever moves on from their kids dying. Being haunted by them isn't just something she can fix, it's not a choice and she's not actively imposing her grief on others and talking about it all the time. The GR was full of some people who lost loved ones, but some who didn't, and their underlying motivation was a choice to make everyone else feel miserable and guilty on purpose. People who know Nora see her as a victim and nothing she could ever do would change that, just like nothing she can ever do will make her "get over" her entire family dying.

So I just watched a documentary called 32 Pills (it's produced by HBO so I expect they'll put it on air at some point) about a sister who starts by wanting to make a film about her sister's suicide. But as the film progresses, it stops being about her sister and becomes about the filmmaker, as she spirals into depression and manic obsession the more she learns about her sister (from going through her possessions to reading the police report of her sister's body), to the point where she dives deep into drug and alcohol addiction. All the while, her husband keeps admonishing her for allowing her sister to ruin her life even after she's dead, and you see that she's basically ignoring her kids because of her obsession with her dead sister.

So, maybe in light of that, I see Nora in basically the same light. I mean if her family has just "died" normally, would it be okay if she contemplated suicide and killed herself in order to join her family in heaven? Or would the more reasonable response be trying to cope and move on from that tragedy? She's basically forgoing a relationship with Kevin and the baby that was left with her at season 2 for the chance to rejoin her family, even if there's a part of her that simply believes that she'll just be vaporized and turned into dust instead of being transported to some magical fairy land.

I wouldn't call this szn a masterpiece. Imo, the last episode focusing on Kevin Sr. was boring.

I loved the setting and some of the humor in it, but Kevin Sr. sucks and so that episode kind of did feel a bit boring.

Man this was great though. LOVED that final shot, juxtaposed with 80s goofiness (Take on Me) made it even better

I wonder was it her answer? The nonchalant attitude with which she gave then answer? The indifference despite it being the ONLY question they wanted answered?

I was thinking this through, too. Because she wanted to clarify and she was trying to game them a little, so maybe it wasn't just her indifference but also her trying to ferret out the "right" answer.

I really hope we see them again. They were great.

Heh. Lindelof was the person in the koala costume that Kevin asked for directions.

I thought that was obvious from the way the music kept building as he approached him.

Lindelof loves The Dark Tower so I've long believed that this series will end with some meta shit and Lindelof directly involved in the final moments as a "character".

Kevvie is "asking" for "directions". And it's a guy in a bear costume? Who ran a show that very prominently featured another regionally specific bear species?

Come on. Who else could it have been under there?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That fire still burning during their fight made me nervous as fuck. I just kept thinking "Is somebody gonna put that out?"

As for the question about the baby. Maybe it's not so much your answer as how assured of your answer you are. Or how you justify it. OR it's a even bigger con. The question is weird to me because you're undervaluing the potential of the baby being put up for sacrifice. Just because we don't know for sure it'll cure cancer like the other baby, doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to. You're taking away a blank slate full of endless possibilities to solve one problem. Maybe the sacrificial infant will cure heart disease, cancer, gout, blah blah blah. The only way this bargain makes sense is if we assume that the baby that will be killed will never do anything for the world of equal importance.

That fire still burning during their fight made me nervous as fuck. I just kept thinking "Is somebody gonna put that out?"

As for the question about the baby. Maybe it's not so much your answer as how assured of your answer you are. Or how you justify it. OR it's a even bigger con. The question is weird to me because you're undervaluing the potential of the baby being put up for sacrifice. Just because we don't know for sure it'll cure cancer like the other baby, doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to. You're taking away a blank slate full of endless possibilities to solve one problem. Maybe the sacrificial infant will cure heart disease, cancer, gout, blah blah blah. The only way this bargain makes sense is if we assume that the baby that will be killed will never do anything for the world of equal importance.

Or let's take it a step further. Maybe everyone gets told no, and you're evaluated based on how you react to being told no (i.e., setting yourself on fire in the desert isn't the best thing).

Zousi

Hey now, that was not nice to doubt Finland's chances to win the FIFA World Cup. Anything is possible, right?

Man, that would have been quite the twist if Evie was still alive. Kevin, you crazy son of a you got me there for a second.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yup, the water streaming from her eyes, damn

If there ever was a way to represent someone's constant sadness.

And man, that scene where Kevin calls his ex only to be confronted with his delusions again. They way they approached that interaction was so good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of amazing shots in this episode like the alley with all the graphiti and the overhead view in the library.

Grizzlyjin

Or let's take it a step further. Maybe everyone gets told no, and you're evaluated based on how you react to being told no (i.e., setting yourself on fire in the desert isn't the best thing).

Yes! I'm thinking Nora failed. Didn't set herself on fire, but almost let a hotel burn down lol

Chuckie

Loved this episode. Dat ending. One thing I noticed is that one of the Swiss (?) Doctors talks to the other in Dutch and the other replies in a different language. Was that just a joke? Make the actresses speak in their native language?

I was actually waiting for the pages to be unburnt, while it was still on fire. With 4 episodes left, im expecting lots of crazy. Loved the last few minutes of this one.

Yes! I'm thinking Nora failed. Didn't set herself on fire, but almost let a hotel burn down lol

I'm convinced the whole thing is GR related (or something equally cruel), and that she hasn't passed or failed yet. They're going to continue to drag this out for Nora until she's desperate to give them her money, and isn't even going to consider NOT going in the machine.

Damn! I was reading the OT for Season 1... so much hate here, I didn't know.

Glad I wasn't around then. I thought it was fantastic, not a single bad episode.

CSJ

So that mention of an explosion, wonder what that's all about and if it has any other mention. Grounded flights? Can't get a Taxi?

No one has mentioned this (and it might just be because it's more obvious than I think): they managed to keep up the ambiguity as to whether Kevin is actually crazy, or whether he is being given visions by some outside force.

If he hadn't seen Evie on TV, he wouldn't have appeared on TV himself, and would never have reunited with his father.

Theorry

the-leftovers-ep208-1-01-11.gif

CloudWolf

This show keeps being amazing.

Loved this episode. Dat ending. One thing I noticed is that one of the Swiss (?) Doctors talks to the other in Dutch and the other replies in a different language. Was that just a joke? Make the actresses speak in their native language?
It was so weird, because the doctors are clearly meant to be Dutch (the inventor of the device also had a 100% Dutch name), so that the doctor whose name is the super-Dutch "Matti Bekker" doesn't speak Dutch is odd. Almost makes it seem like they for some reason couldn't find a second Dutch actress.

Eh... I would take a baby that has a 100% chance of curing cancer over a baby that has a .00000000000000001% chance of accomplishing something that is equally significant, any day.

Kadayi

Banned
That was intense. Honestly didn't know how it was going to shake out.

I think the answer to the question, wasn't the choice, it was in the manner of the response. I think the real answer isn't yes or no, because for someone whose looking to depart, curing or not curing cancer is irrelevant. Picking either option to save a child, or to cure cancer, demonstrates some attachment to known existence and that is the undoing.

hank_tree

I thought that was obvious from the way the music kept building as he approached him.

Lindelof loves The Dark Tower so I've long believed that this series will end with some meta shit and Lindelof directly involved in the final moments as a "character".

Kevvie is "asking" for "directions". And it's a guy in a bear costume? Who ran a show that very prominently featured another regionally specific bear species?

Come on. Who else could it have been under there?

This is the craziest thing I've read in a long time.

Top Bottom