• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Pulled this from Reddit. Looks like the photo on Kevin's phone was ALWAYS the non-Evie woman.
x9wxt3i6obwy.png

I liked the theory I saw in The AV Club comments that the would you kill the baby question is paired with the response to the mother needing a babysitter at the bus stop.

When she thinks she's not being tested Nora chooses to look after the stranger's baby. When she knows she's being tested Nora gives the response she thinks they want to hear which is contradictory to her actual instinct to look after the baby.

The guy who burnt himself alive presumably didn't help the woman at the bus stop but when questioned expressed concern for the child.

The correct response then is to remain consistent in your words and actions.

Erigu

I'm still a bit bewildered that you're all trying to figure out the proper answer to that quiz yet don't seem to question why they'd bother with something like that in the first place...

Chumley

Banned
I'm still a bit bewildered that you're all trying to figure out the proper answer to that quiz yet don't seem to question why they'd bother with something like that in the first place...

Exactly. With what we know about the show, the GR and stuff, I thought it became really clear that these people are only interested in inflicting torture and misery. GR times 10.

Doodis

I know it's one of Kevin's character flaws to be an asshole in the heat of the moment, but man, his last words to Norah were just ice cold.

giphy.gif

Yeah, they were both pretty brutal to each other at the end there. RIP Nora + Kevin it was a blast while it lasted.

Love that Kevin Sr's first word to his son is "Jesus..."

Promo for next week is pretty bat shit.

-Mikey-

To people bringing up the inconsistency with Dutch my wife and I noticed that in season 1 of mr. robot. Turns out that Dutch speakers understand Swedish / Danish or something along those lines. I'm on my phone and out, so I can't link anything.

It's worth checking out!

Klocker

When Kevin sr asks Jr, "are you alone?"

Shit Kevin thinks for a second and says to himself... nope Nora is gone... damn, brutal.. oh well, fun while they lasted.

Great episode, feel horrible that they didn't let Nora go

Well it can't be the answer since the guy who burned himself alive gave the opposite answer so I dunno what their angle is.

My initial thought is there is no right answer and this is all a ruse to fuck with people. I'm not sure if that would hold up against scrutiny, but I'm not sure what other angle this could take ...

Nora sitting alone in that hotel room after Kevin basically told her to kill her self was sad.

I liked the theory I saw in The AV Club comments that the would you kill the baby question is paired with the response to the mother needing a babysitter at the bus stop.

When she thinks she's not being tested Nora chooses to look after the stranger's baby. When she knows she's being tested Nora gives the response she thinks they want to hear which is contradictory to her actual instinct to look after the baby.

The guy who burnt himself alive presumably didn't help the woman at the bus stop but when questioned expressed concern for the child.

Maybe, though I think the buss stop babysitter scene is dissimilar because Nora taking that baby wasn't going to "cure cancer"

Theorry

Could be yeah.

jorma

is now taking requests
To people bringing up the inconsistency with Dutch my wife and I noticed that in season 1 of mr. robot. Turns out that Dutch speakers understand Swedish / Danish or something along those lines. I'm on my phone and out, so I can't link anything.

It's worth checking out!

Nah not true. If one person is dutch and the other danish/swedish they'd communicate in english for sure.

CloudWolf

It's worth checking out!

Wait what? No, they don't. If someone starts speaking Swedish or Danish to me, I'll maybe pick up two or three words, but that's it. Scandinavian languages are not at all like Dutch.

I'm like 5 minutes away from the State Library and that graffiti alleyway right now. I wanna go down there and have a look around haha

Blader

That last exchange between Kevin and Nora was just...damn.

Dammit, I was wondering why that question sounded familiar!

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think I'm in a love it/hate it relationship with this show. There's so much good here, but also incredibly infuriating stuff that's all so Lost-ey that I end up going 'ughhhhhh' at times. That entire Kevin/Evie arc was littered to the brim with dumb shit, and yet the rest of the episode was REALLY solid.

Fucking Lindelof with his science/religion bullshit too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a smoke monster reveal soon.

I know it would've been terrible considering the 3225 unresolved storylines it would've left but for me the final scene is so good it would've more than made up for it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think I'm in a love it/hate it relationship with this show. There's so much good here, but also incredibly infuriating stuff that's all so Lost-ey that I end up going 'ughhhhhh' at times. That entire Kevin/Evie arc was littered to the brim with dumb shit, and yet the rest of the episode was REALLY solid.

Fucking Lindelof with his science/religion bullshit too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a smoke monster reveal soon.

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they they all came from
Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go
When the whole thing's done
But no one knows for certain
And so it's all the same to me
I think I'll just let the mystery be

I'm so sorry

-Mikey-

Nah not true. If one person is dutch and the other danish/swedish they'd communicate in english for sure.

Wait what? No, they don't. If someone starts speaking Swedish or Danish to me, I'll maybe pick up two or three words, but that's it. Scandinavian languages are not at all like Dutch.

Okay, thanks for the corrections.

I must've misunderstood what I was reading.

The complaints about Lost in conjunction with this show always amuses me because at the end of the show, Lost answered the biggest question. Hell, it actually answered a lot of questions, it's just that there were twice as many questions.

Unless Lindy has been lying, which is entirely possible, there won't be an explanation for what the departure was or why it happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The complaints about Lost in conjunction with this show always amuses me because at the end of the show, Lost answered the biggest question. Hell, it actually answered a lot of questions, it's just that there were twice as many questions.

Unless Lindy has been lying, which is entirely possible, there won't be an explanation for what the departure was or why it happened.
The problem with Lost wasn't that they answered questions, it's that it asked questions without planning for any of the answers in the first place.

It's fine if they don't explain the departures, but if they don't explain what is happening to Kevin (whether it's supernatural or just simple psychosis), I know I'll be disappointed.

The problem with Lost wasn't that they answered questions, it's that it asked questions without planning for any of the answers in the first place.

It's fine if they don't explain the departures, but if they don't explain what is happening to Kevin (whether it's supernatural or just simple psychosis), I know I'll be disappointed.

While I agree, a very common sentiment on the internet regarding Lost is that it didn't resolve any of its mysteries and many people have used that as a reason to not conintue watching the show or by cynical if they do.

So the group promising to send people into space or wherever, it's on offshoot of the GR right? A group that decided the best way to make people suffer and remember is to give them hope and then snatch it away?

And Jesus Christ at the last ten minutes...Jesus Christ.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm really glad is actually dead cus I REALLY hated her character and anyone in The Guilty Remnant. Was annoyed that the trailer for season 3 made it seem like she was going to have a role to play this season, and it felt even more dumb since the first scene is her dying, so it's cool that it was all a red herring.

Doodis

My problem with Lost was that you have all these mysteries about the island and the computer code and a boatload of other things, and in the end they just gloss over it all with a "
they're all dead
" answer.

It's basically as bad as ending the show with "
and it was all just a dream!
"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I agree, a very common sentiment on the internet regarding Lost is that it didn't resolve any of its mysteries and many people have used that as a reason to not conintue watching the show or by cynical if they do.

My dislike of Lost comes from the fact that it's very clear they had no idea what they were doing and didn't really have any convictions. Stuff like Paolo and Nikki, which is perhaps the biggest example of the "soap opera-ey" nature of the show's planning.

The Leftovers is better in that they don't have the opportunity to just make things up as they go along, particularly since this is the last season, but if they are going to introduce ideas like Kevin being the next messiah and not follow through with any of that, then I know I'll be annoyed with this season, if not the show as a whole.

I'm really glad is actually dead cus I REALLY hated her character and anyone in The Guilty Remnant. Was annoyed that the trailer for season 3 made it seem like she was going to have a role to play this season, and it felt even more dumb since the first scene is her dying, so it's cool that it was all a red herring.

Evie was cool, she was just unfortunate to be in a shitty story arc alongside rapey Liv Tyler.

Top Bottom