• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

My dislike of Lost comes from the fact that it's very clear they had no idea what they were doing and didn't really have any convictions. Stuff like Paolo and Nikki, which is perhaps the biggest example of the "soap opera-ey" nature of the show's planning.

The Leftovers is better in that they don't have the opportunity to just make things up as they go along, particularly since this is the last season, but if they are going to introduce ideas like Kevin being the next messiah and not follow through with any of that, then I know I'll be annoyed with this season, if not the show as a whole.

I think part of what you are describing is the growing dichotomy between science and religion in Lost. Clearly not everything could be explained through just science, but the show kept leaning on scientific explanations while giving us religious themes and showing us religious cues/iconography.

That's what is interesting about this season so far, in that they are essentially working with a similar playbook. Although I'm much more confident in how this will end than Lost and we won't get the muddled middle seasons since The Leftovers has been a tight, and ultimately short show.

Edit: The Departed was a great movie.

I'm going to see Metallica on Sunday. I'm obviously psyched, but I'm also missing this season's Matt episode. I'm gonna have to be strong and not look at this thread/reddit/AV club/Sepinwall till I get home and watch.

T Dollarz

I'm going to see Metallica on Sunday. I'm obviously psyched, but I'm also missing this season's Matt episode. I'm gonna have to be strong and not look at this thread/reddit/AV club/Sepinwall till I get home and watch.

I'm seeing Metallica on a sunday night next month!

The Matt episode last season is my favorite episode of the series.

SickBoy

Over the last two days I've learned that not everyone thinks Nora is awesome?

It's fine if they don't explain the departures, but if they don't explain what is happening to Kevin (whether it's supernatural or just simple psychosis), I know I'll be disappointed.

I'm not sure I need an explanation... just a satisfying leaving-off point with whatever else being open to interpretation (or not... I don't need an explanation, but if I get one, I'm OK with that, too).

FWIW, I'm pretty firmly on Team Supernatural now. -- there's the stuff that happened last season (and how it ties to what we learn this season). It seems to me that Kevin seeing Evie on Good Morning Melbourne and then going to that same spot so his dad can see him on the show seems much more like some sort of providence... otherwise it's an incredibly "lucky" psychotic break, right?

Doodis

I'm seeing Metallica on a sunday night next month!

The Matt episode last season is my favorite episode of the series.

Matt episode season one is my favorite. I loved that tightly contained story. Him waking up too late was just the best.

Over the last two days I've learned that not everyone thinks Nora is awesome?
People that think that are the ones that aren't awesome.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Its ok, we won't spoiler Kevins ascension to the holy throne made purely of beards

My problem with Lost was that you have all these mysteries about the island and the computer code and a boatload of other things, and in the end they just gloss over it all with a "
they're all dead
" answer.

It's basically as bad as ending the show with "
and it was all just a dream!
"

Wow. Not to sound condescending, but you really didn't understand the ending of LOST at all. You may want to rewatch it, or at least read up on it.

I think this season is a lot more like season two. It's going to be setting things up for the first half and just go absolutely bananas in the second half. The last 3-4 episodes of season two were absolutely amazing, but the beginning was pretty boring. I am so pumped for a Matt episode though. I will definitely say the cinematography in this season is a huge improvement from the past two.

Wow. Not to sound condescending, but you really didn't understand the ending of LOST at all. You may want to rewatch it, or at least read up on it.
Yea I'm always surprised at how many people didn't understand the ending when it felt like they spent so much time actually explaining it in the show. At the time I felt they were over explaining the concept but then the next day I saw a large number of people that didn't understand it

Just finished season 1, fucking amazing!

Have to sleep now, I'll catch up for the next sunday, I'll probably finish season 2 in a couple of days.

Finished season 2, simply sensational, one of the best shows I've seen.
I'll catch up on 3 tomorrow.

Hope we get a proper ending and not a Penny Dreadful one, that series was clearly a not three seasons show.

Kadayi

Banned

Hope we get a proper ending and not a Penny Dreadful one, that series was clearly a not three seasons show.

They knew when writing the third season it was the last, so don't sweat it. This isn't a case of cancellation.

DJKhaled

But it is a three season show and was written like that.

hank_tree

Hope it turns out well, I'll watch the third today.

You mean Leftovers? If it was always like that then great, it should wrap thing well even if it leaves some for interpretation.

Leftovers wasn't originally envisioned as a three season show. But they knew that season 3 was the last before they even started writing it.

Leftovers wasn't originally envisioned as a three season show. But they knew that season 3 was the last before they even started writing it.

Well, I don't remember but I think something similar happened to Penny Dreadful, I've seen the interview with Logan in which he tells the opposite but I didn't buy it, the ending felt rushed like... a lot, everyone saw it that way.

Anyway, is not a rule and it doesn't mean that it will happen here is just that the situation reminded me to that case.

This show is unbelievably awesome. Yet another masterpiece of an episode. All the hatin' on last week's episode and Kevin Sr. makes me sad though. Scott Glenn is a treasure, damn you guys!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, man. "Oh, are you afraid you're going to give that one away, too?" killed me.

N0ow4S3.gif

Finally I'm up to date... now I have to wait for single episodes after watching the whole show in four days.

I suck at watching series.

Erigu

I don't remember, did Kevin retell the events of 'limbo world' to Matt for them to appear in the book?
I guess we're supposed to assume he did so off-screen. And is now calling them crazy for taking it seriously. Whose fault is that, Kevin?

I guess we're supposed to assume he did so off-screen. And is now calling them crazy for taking it seriously. Whose fault is that, Kevin?

We've disagreed on this before, but I'll never understand your apparent desire for fictional characters to behave completely logically at all times :p

Erigu

We've disagreed on this before, but I'll never understand your apparent desire for fictional characters to behave completely logically at all times :p
I'd like them to be consistent. Considering how Kevin reacted when he learned the book existed, it's kinda hard to imagine him describing in every detail his stay at Purgatory Hotel.

Just watched the latest episode, that final shot of Nora was tremendous.

Such a brutal fight between her and Kevin, damn Kevin.

BTW - I still ride for Lost including the final season and the finale. There are definitely elements of that show in a good way that carry over to The Leftovers.

This show has the belt right now (for The Watch listeners).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

It's a Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt World

Matt heads to Australia to bring Kevin home when he's convinced he should be in Miracle for the seventh anniversary of the Departure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Seeing folks hype this episode quite a bit on Twitter. I'm pumped

Top Bottom