• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Psxphile

Estelle pls

That
Special Ops team
seem pretty OP...

My play clock is at 36 hours. I just realized you could spin the camera during battle.

51-Estelle13.png

How did I miss this.

Aside from the usual variety of small fixes, I've added the ability to disable the right stick camera control, or to invert it. This should be helpful for people who've been having problems or complaints with the feature.

Awesome.

Wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy and just made it up lol. (had a lot of those moments lately from lack of sleep)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123367826&postcount=1184
It just surprises me that no one else mentioned it before or after (well, until dragon1893 did). I guess most people maybe don't notice it due to the fact that Camp and Cancel are the same button, so they tend to accidentally back out of Camp when hastily trying to open it? I know I do on occasion.

Surely Falcom have had multiple chances to tackle the problem since the original PC release but failed to do so... it might not be fixable without completely gimping something else entirely (why do I feel like mouse support is to blame for this?)

Maybe that's why they chose to completely rewrite the game when they ported it to PSP. Is the glitch present in the PC versions of SC and 3rd as well?

Thanks for the steady improvements, XSEED team. There have been a lot of gains since the game first went live on Steam... I'm really pleased with it now.

Bring on SC soon and keep up the fantastic work.

Oh yes. The game runs like butter now. I've had zero complaints after that first week, and not a single crash since the hires font glitch was (finally) nailed down.

I didn't even get the chance to experience the chest bug firsthand.

Quixzlizx

Aside from the usual variety of small fixes, I've added the ability to disable the right stick camera control, or to invert it. This should be helpful for people who've been having problems or complaints with the feature.

Thanks for the information, and for your hard work.

Should be! I'll get right to them when I can, since I already have everything. Right now I'm just excited that I can finally change the 'Genis' banners that come up during the Jenis Royal Academy Campus Festival, among other signs.
Thanks for all your hard work.

epmode

Does anyone have the location of the game's save files? Sometimes I don't trust Steam Cloud and it looks like Game Save Manager still doesn't support the game.

Simple yes or no will do

Will "trails in the sky" be name dropped in story again outside of Oliver's singing of it? One of my favorite parts of story telling in any media is when the name of the story is dropped in the story

peakish

Just finished it and had a lot of fun. In particular I'd like to give thumbs up to the pacing, which was pretty much perfect for me: There was plenty of time to get to know your party members before switching them out, but they were also introduced often enough to keep party interactions and battles fresh. Also a very nice balance of main and side quests, I really got to know most towns inside and out and get invested in some of the smaller stories going on which really doesn't happen that often. I guess a large part of that is due to every line of dialogue being updated between story events (which is crazy), but made space for following these NPC's lives over a few days. Great world building!

I also really appreciated that the plot took a lot of time to get going, setting up a whole bunch of leads and loose ends during the first chapters that weren't tied up until the end. When things started happening for real it really felt like things were going down since the tempo was increased a lot. With how well just about all of the characters were established through writing I do wish that the plot itself would have been more interesting, though :/ By the end I was engaged enough in the characters to move on, just not in the events themselves. The ending itself was pretty good, from all the buzz I was expecting some super cliffhanger waiting for me but it felt very rounded to me:
The main plot thread was tied up and a new one opened from the proper threads left hanging, no problem there for me. I can see why people are holding out for SC, although I really never got invested in Joshua which took a lot of oomph out of it for me. I care about Estelle a bit more, so I'm interested in seeing her heading out for Joshua. Plus I'm hoping for him to get some proper character development.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched for SC now. I got this mostly because it's been hyped in many threads on GAF ever since I joined and it held up well.

Does anyone have the location of the game's save files? Sometimes I don't trust Steam Cloud and it looks like Game Save Manager still doesn't support the game.
I looked around myself and found them in Users/$USER/Application Data/FALCOM/ED6. I'm running the GOG version should that make a difference.

I just realized the game is letting me control the camera with the right stick.

My experience with the game has improved so much just because of this change. Thank you XSEED.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game. Boy that sucked, what an overhyped disappointment.

SC when

Final boss was easier than I remember it being in the PSP version, but really that applies to the entire game. Even the boss you are supposed to lose to only successfully hit me like twice.

Got max BP, clear save is ready for transfer!

I just realized the game is letting me control the camera with the right stick.

My experience with the game has improved so much just because of this change. Thank you XSEED.

This option seems to be causing problems for me, whenever I enable analog camera control the camera just spins around uncontrollably.

Gloam

Should I be paying attention to recipes? Are they important later in the game. Just got up to Bose, so I'm pretty early and haven't really used the recipe book at all.

Should I be paying attention to recipes? Are they important later in the game. Just got up to Bose, so I'm pretty early and haven't really used the recipe book at all.

I used the recipe menu maybe once throughout the whole game, and that one time was just to test it out and see what it was about. I can see it's benefits, but I just never had a need to utilize any of it to the point I largely just forgot about it. If you care about steam achievements, I guess it's worth it to at least eat everything once though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Recipes are generally better options for healing than using items. They are cheaper (you get a lot of ingredients just by beating enemies, and even when you need to buy some most are very cheap) and many offer useful effects like stat or CP boosts. And unlike healing arts, they are immediate.

The game isn't really hard enough on the normal difficulty for you to need a ton of healing items though, and if you're exploring well you are going to find a lot of them. Best ones to take advantage of are the revival ones that restore a substantial amount of HP, but I think they require rarer/more expensive ingredients.

Psxphile

Daring Midnight Raid™. Plot has been upgraded to Shit Just Got Real mode. Stakes are high, and allies are coming out of the woodwork.

Now this is podracing.

I suspected Kloe was someone pretty dang important when it was revealed she had ties to the Royal Guardsmen, but I wouldn't have guessed she was a princess... mostly because up until maybe the end of Chapter 3 I wasn't even aware there *was* a Princess Klaudia.

That just leaves the mystery of
Joshua. Pretty sure this guy is royalty going by his behavior during the royal banquet. Hell, the whole game. If he's supposedly the "dead" Erebonian prince mentioned in the Capel computer (hope I'm remembering those details right) I'm going to freak out. Cassius, the hell you've been doing?

Krelian91

That just leaves the mystery of
Joshua. Pretty sure this guy is royalty going by his behavior during the royal banquet. Hell, the whole game. If he's supposedly the "dead" Erebonian prince mentioned in the Capel computer (hope I'm remembering those details right) I'm going to freak out. Cassius, the hell you've been doing?

Maybe I misremember, but I thought that
the dead prince mentioned in the computer's timeline was Kloe/Klaudia's father.

Psxphile

Maybe I misremember, but I thought that
the dead prince mentioned in the computer's timeline was Kloe/Klaudia's father.

Maybe. Like I said I can't be sure. It's not like I can go back and check. But this was the impression that was left on me, and I thought the entry itself stood out. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong on this one though.

All will be revealed soon enough, I suppose.

Finished the game! Cliffhanger was severely brutal and I'd like the second game now please lol.

That said, the Joshua part I pretty much saw coming from the beginning of the game, he was pretty much exactly who I thought he would be.

And lastly, even though the patch came in at the end of the game for me, the right stick for camera movement changed my life. I'll probably do a second playthrough to get the rest of the achievements and the second ultimate weapon just for kicks, as well as make use of that life changing right stick lol.

jb1234

Man. Every time I turn the game on, I get into a battle, am bored out of my mind and then turn it back off again. It's such a slog. Combined with the very slow pacing of the opening and this just might not be the game for me. :(

Oh man what a fucking day. Just finished chapter 2 and reached the city in chapter 3. So far the battles were largely pretty easy and didn't require much strategy from my part, but the battle against
the two dudes in black
at the end of chapter 2 was fucking wrecking me, I don't know what level they were but that speed and that strength was unfair lol.

I'm starting to love the method of this game of 'forcing' you to use different side characters by introducing you to new people in each chapter. So far it's been fun in a bun meeting all these characters.

The school festival play ran a bit longer than I cared for though. I didn't care much for the story and having watched loads of anime I rolled my eyes at the
cross dressing

Currently level 20 at the beginning of chapter 3. I thought this would be too low considering the end chapter boss battles, but early mobs beg to differ as they are giving me little exp.

Marow

Do you guys recommend playing it now, or waiting till SC is out (and maybe the HD assets too)?

Now would be a perfect time for me to play it as I have little over a week before I move out and nothing to really do, but if the cliffhanger is too cliffhanger-y and plot details might be forgotten I'm thinking of waiting. The same goes for the build if it's still unstable.

Do you guys recommend playing it now, or waiting till SC is out (and maybe the HD assets too)?

Now would be a perfect time for me to play it as I have little over a week before I move out and nothing to really do, but if the cliffhanger is too cliffhanger-y and plot details might be forgotten I'm thinking of waiting. The same goes for the build if it's still unstable.

SC shouldn't be too far off, and these games are long enough that a bit of a breather between them isn't a bad idea. I'd play it if you have the time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SC is probably going to release in "early 2015." Whenever that is.

Playing both games back to back might burn you out, FC is at least 30 hours, and easily over 40 if you're trying to do everything. Supposedly SC is longer.

And I doubt remembering the specific details of FC's plot is going to be that important as long as you remember the general events that happen that lead into SC. FC's main plot thread does conclude at the end of the game, it just leads straight into the second game by opening up another one.

20MB patch this morning. Wonder what that does, maybe fixes that fight with sound issues?

Psxphile

Looks like I'm in the final dungeon. What two should I bring with me into this first area? Hm...

Are we actually going to go this whole game
without seeing Cassius? What a tease if true, especially now that we know he's some kind of living legend.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm in the final dungeon. What two should I bring with me into this first area? Hm...

There is a right answer to this question, even though you can do it with anyone. If you want to make that dungeon easier:

Olivier and Kloe are objectively the best characters here due to their high magic and orbments. Olivier more so than Kloe since she's kind of locked in to being a support character, but she can still get White Gehenna easily enough. Physical attacks are inferior from there out, so the characters with crummy orbments and lesser magic stats aren't going to be as optimal.

There is a right answer to this question, even though you can do it with anyone. If you want to make that dungeon easier:

Olivier and Kloe are objectively the best characters here due to their high magic and orbments. Olivier more so than Kloe since she's kind of locked in to being a support character, but she can still get White Gehenna easily enough. Physical attacks are inferior from there out, so the characters with crummy orbments and lesser magic stats aren't going to be as optimal.

Other than Joshua's incredibly broken Black Fang (with Gladiator Belt natch), this is very true. The big 6 Green wind spell that covers 2/3 of the battlefield was a real winner in there, too.

Shiina

I brought Kloe with me because Kaempfer was amazing but then I found out that the last boss resisted the debuffs all the time. Had I known that I probably would have brought someone else.

I brought Kloe with me because Kaempfer was amazing but then I found out that the last boss resisted the debuffs all the time. Had I known that I probably would have brought someone else.

Her ability to full heal, rez, cure nearly half the map PLUS 50% DEF buff at 200 AND snake turns away from enemies with it instantly from being a Break was too good.

jb1234

Man. Every time I turn the game on, I get into a battle, am bored out of my mind and then turn it back off again. It's such a slog. Combined with the very slow pacing of the opening and this just might not be the game for me. :(

Alright, played a few hours last night and it's starting to grow on me. It's just a real slow burn. ;)

wrowa

Wasn't able to play for the past week and now I got all excited to play the game again only to realize that after the recent patches I've got no sound anymore in-game. The Steam overlay stopped working too. :(

I really should have deactivated automatic patches for this game... I'm glad that Xseed continues to patch the game and is constantly adding new features, but I really just want to play it at this point and it really frustrates me when things that used to work suddenly don't work anymore.

Edit: Okay, turning off the high definition art solves the problem. Can't say I care for this feature right now anyway - right now the implementation of the high-res assets feels really uneven to me, since new assets and old assets just clash against each other. Like in the camp menu you've got parts that are crystal clear and others that are completely blury.

Sara

Wasn't able to play for the past week and now I got all excited to play the game again only to realize that after the recent patches I've got no sound anymore in-game. The Steam overlay stopped working too. :(

Edit: Okay, turning off the high definition art solves the problem. Can't say I care for this feature right now anyway - right now the implementation of the high-res assets feels really uneven to me, since new assets and old assets just clash against each other. Like in the camp menu you've got parts that are crystal clear and others that are completely blury.
Hmm... If disabling high-definition art fixes it, it sounds like some sort of odd memory issue there. I've mostly noticed weirdness with the hardware vertex shader, but I'm going to guess it's not that. (Though it would be interesting to know if disabling that resolves the issue somehow... A sound issue from it makes no sense to begin with, though.)

I really should have deactivated automatic patches for this game... I'm glad that Xseed continues to patch the game and is constantly adding new features, but I really just want to play it at this point and it really frustrates me when things that used to work suddenly don't work anymore.

IIRC didnt you replace some music files with some zanmai arrangements?

Just completed the game last night, I greatly enjoyed it! It had a very charming cast and a well realized world. Not to mention I always have to give brownie points to the fact that all of the cast was likable and never made me roll my eyes from stupidity. My only complaints I really have are that I feel like the game was overall too easy most of the time as you can cheese through much of the game just by building up CP to 200 and spamming S-Breaks. At least the game has harder difficulties. I also wish at times I had the option to select whether I wanted to do the action or not because there have been a annoying times where I went to attack an enemy but accidentally moved to the spot right by it, causing my character just to move that spot. However, this is pretty minor as it never honestly made or broke a battle.

Now the wait begins for the Second Chapter........ Between this and the Ys series Falcom has became one of my favorite developers.

Yup, same for me, just booted the game to see that sweet HD art but it completely brakes the game for me.
No sound and the screen is constantly flickering between the game and my desktop. I'm sad :(

epmode

I looked around myself and found them in Users/$USER/Application Data/FALCOM/ED6. I'm running the GOG version should that make a difference.

Thanks very much. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for the Steam version since it uses Steam Cloud.

If anyone else is interested, I just found the save files here: <STEAM FOLDER>\userdata\<USER ID>\251150\remote\fc

I've just arrived at the last chapter and saw those
Preliminaries Fights. It was actually pretty cool seeing NPCs fight! Are they playable on SC?

I'm 25 hours in and I just reached "the final chapter"

Level 23-ish, will be grinding a bit until mobs aren't giving me decent exp. How long is this chapter? I was 19 hours in when I was early chapter 3, so if this takes me 6 hours or so I'll be way below the average completion time. Only thing I haven't done, outside of the book collection, is enter 2 of the 4 towers I've come across. And I tend to skip mobs if I know they won't give me much exp.

Maybe there's another chapter after this I dunno.

Regardless if I do end up being around 30 hours completion time that's a more than decent amount. I've been having a blast with the game, easily has jumped among my favorite jrpgs. I know Joshua is the perfect husbando trope and all, but he's become my favorite. Dat black fang. Any recommendations on how to maximize damage on it? Aside from getting Attack 3?

Have they said anything regarding the issues caused by the HD art? Was hoping to see something here when I woke up.
After seeing those pics I don't want to continue playing with the SD art lol.

Psxphile

Have they said anything regarding the issues caused by the HD art? Was hoping to see something here when I woke up.
After seeing those pics I don't want to continue playing with the SD art lol.

Another patch came in earlier but no idea what it addressed since I've had zero problems with the new artwork so far. Try firing up the game and see for yourself?

Someone on the Steam community forums compiled a quickie comparison pic for some of the new UI changes, if anyone's curious to see them side-to-side:

Top Bottom