• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Krelian91

I'm 25 hours in and I just reached "the final chapter"

Level 23-ish, will be grinding a bit until mobs aren't giving me decent exp. How long is this chapter? I was 19 hours in when I was early chapter 3, so if this takes me 6 hours or so I'll be way below the average completion time. Only thing I haven't done, outside of the book collection, is enter 2 of the 4 towers I've come across. And I tend to skip mobs if I know they won't give me much exp.

Maybe there's another chapter after this I dunno.

Regardless if I do end up being around 30 hours completion time that's a more than decent amount. I've been having a blast with the game, easily has jumped among my favorite jrpgs. I know Joshua is the perfect husbando trope and all, but he's become my favorite. Dat black fang. Any recommendations on how to maximize damage on it? Aside from getting Attack 3?

The final chapter is much longer than the previous ones, it will take you probably 10 hours or more.

I suggest you to give Deathblow 1 to Joshua (although you probably already did that), when fighting against large groups of enemies (and you'll find lots of these in the last chapter) Black Fang get even more powerful and useful. Better if you use it during a Critical turn.

Another patch came in earlier but no idea what it addressed since I've had zero problems with the new artwork so far. Try firing up the game and see for yourself?

Someone on the Steam community forums compiled a quickie comparison pic for some of the new UI changes, if anyone's curious to see them side-to-side:

Didn't know about the new patch, I'll try the game again when I get home.

Edit: working fine and it's beautiful.
Currently in chapter 2, it's going a bit slow for me lol.

Fuckin' A

Something happened between last night and right now where I got an update and was ready to play the game with my xbox 360 controller and the game isn't recognizing it anymore. I hope one of the peeps from the developers are reading this thread, because my plans of playing this for the rest of the day are now ruined :'(

edit: nevermind, apparently the 'direct input' box was unchecked. Problem solved. Will now play game obsessively.

Psxphile

Another update? Xseed spoils us so.

Man, I'm making some slow progress in this final dungeon. Partly due to me absolutely requiring my other party members to get equal battle/face time and raise some levels, and partly because I'm one of those guys who has massive problems actually finishing a game once I know I'm nearing the end.

Also, fuck all these trapped chests. They're just delaying the inevitable.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The nice thing about those chests is that the monsters in them are awesome for experience and sepith.

But enemies with machine gun-like attacks on sepith turn bonuses... seeing what looks like hundreds of sepith flying out of your characters... D:

Psxphile

FvOt60l.jpg

Hm.

Still, WIP. Hopefully everything comes together in the end.

The nice thing about those chests is that the monsters in them are awesome for experience and sepith.

But enemies with machine gun-like attacks on sepith turn bonuses... seeing what looks like hundreds of sepith flying out of your characters... D:

dat feel

God damn, Now I'm at 32 hours in (final chapters spoilers)
about to go down to the tunnels to sneak into the castle with Joshua and the gang

I keep seeing people here talk about having earth wall/guard for the characters before attempting the final area, anybody know when I'll have to make sure I have the right quartz? Or will I have the chance to get the quartz before said battle?

Taking a break for a bit. Might play a bit more later tonight, but for now I'm taking a break.

Psxphile

Camp menu bug has been fixed afterall.

Sara Does What Falcan't™.

I've reached the bottom level. Gonna rush in with my current party and see if the final battle(s) will be doable with the setup I've got now.

Also, I just checked and I'm missing 20+ non-story related chests+phrases for the achievement. Pretty sure I combed every dungeon and path in the game thoroughly, so I'm surprised to see I've missed so much. Gonna assume the achievement is still bugged... that, or somehow missed two whole dungeons worth of booty.

Not very likely. Oh well, I'll get it on New Game+.

Edit: oh yeah, and I never got the Hide Jumpsuit so that's another achievement that's going to have to wait for NG+. What's the deal with that anyway? It's said to appear in Mistvald but I never found it.

Edit: oh yeah, and I never got the Hide Jumpsuit so that's another achievement that's going to have to wait for NG+. What's the deal with that anyway? It's said to appear in Mistvald but I never found it.

It's in the last area where you fight the boss.
If you don't go in there on a separate occasion before or after, you'll never get to move around freely to find the chest.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, Now I'm at 32 hours in (final chapters spoilers)
about to go down to the tunnels to sneak into the castle with Joshua and the gang

I keep seeing people here talk about having earth wall/guard for the characters before attempting the final area, anybody know when I'll have to make sure I have the right quartz? Or will I have the chance to get the quartz before said battle?

Taking a break for a bit. Might play a bit more later tonight, but for now I'm taking a break.

If you're not going for 100% you don't really have to worry about it, Earth Wall is OP in general though. There is a fight that you aren't required to win, but if you intend to, it requires a fair amount of setup beforehand.

Psxphile

And... done.

drinking+-+Copy.gif

... fucking aye, man...

It's in the last area where you fight the boss.
If you don't go in there on a separate occasion before or after, you'll never get to move around freely to find the chest.

Actually I went back right after to explore the forest more thoroughly before leaving the Rolent region but I was never able to find the chest in that area. I even scoured between the trees hoping for an (!) to pop up but I got nothing. Next time I'll try exploring it way earlier.

Golbez

I've never been quite clear on this, do you actually lose sepith on those turns?

Psxphile

Quick question: besides enemy stats being higher, what other changes are there on higher difficulties? Do you earn more sepith per kill, for instance? Just wondering if I should just farm for the 9,999 Sepith achievement now while I have a save in the final dungeon or just do it in a New Game+, since apparently your Sepith transfers over. If enemies drop more sepith on average it'd make my choice easier.

I've never been quite clear on this, do you actually lose sepith on those turns?

I can't confirm this but it'd make sense if you did... every other stat bonus in battle has a downside when it lands on an enemy. Anyway it seems like you only lose the Sepith you would gain from winning the battle, not your actual Sepith counts.

I'm pretty sure I have ended battles with less sepith than I started with. This is only really noticeable when you're not getting a particular type in a chapter (like fire in chapter 1).

Actually I went back right after to explore the forest more thoroughly before leaving the Rolent region but I was never able to find the chest in that area. I even scoured between the trees hoping for an (!) to pop up but I got nothing. Next time I'll try exploring it way earlier.

Keep to the left as you enter.

imBask

Banned
so my camera still spins forever and ever no matter what controler is plugged in (tried a DS4 and a 360 controler)

this is frustrating...

so my camera still spins forever and ever no matter what controler is plugged in (tried a DS4 and a 360 controler)

this is frustrating...

Run the configuration tool and disable "right stick camera" under input/gamepad. That fixed it for me in the past, though I don't know if more recent patches have changed it again.

imBask

Banned
Run the configuration tool and disable "right stick camera" under input/gamepad. That fixed it for me in the past, though I don't know if more recent patches have changed it again.

will try that tonight... it worked fine for the first 2-3 hours though so I don't know what happened

Eusis

will try that tonight... it worked fine for the first 2-3 hours though so I don't know what happened
Well meaning updates did, but I think the PS4 and even PS3 can be really weird there. If you try direct input with the Ys games for instance on PS4 the left stick is messed up, yet oddly enough that didn't happen in Trails in the Sky, only with the Right stick.

The HD portraits are soooooo nice. Hope the status screen-sized portraits come over too.

That would be awesome.

So the issue I mentioned earlier:

Also, when you're buying stuff the arrows overlap with the numbers so you can't see how much you're buying.

has been fixed.

The marker that represents you on the mini-map looks weird now though.

Jesus Christ that was a long final chapter. I started around 25-26 hours and just finished at 38 hours the whole game. Amazing fucking game, Joshua and Estelle really grew on me.

Admiral Woofington reporting for duty in eagerly anticipating the release of the second chapter. Was the second chapter the one that was never brought to the West? If so looking forward to figuring it out together with others here.

The thirst is real.

Valus

I just finished Chapter 1, and while the game is enjoyable I'm steadily losing interest. Is there any serious character development for the two heroes? I keep reading that it's a slow start up but when it picks up it's fantastic. When exactly does it start up?

Psxphile

The marker that represents you on the mini-map looks weird now though.

Yeah, with every patch we see things updated, things fixed and some things not-so-fixed. I just recently saw that the Mirage Sepith icon in the Orbment Shop screen is only half there.

I like the new loading screen/sprite, even if they're all too brief. By the time you notice it's there, it's gone.

I just finished Chapter 1, and while the game is enjoyable I'm steadily losing interest. Is there any serious character development for the two heroes? I keep reading that it's a slow start up but when it picks up it's fantastic. When exactly does it start up?

Not so much obvious character development. Estelle goes through the most change but it isn't like one second she just changes. In fact it's just her attitude in general, not to mention the way she regards a certain character. If you mean chapter 1 as in the actual chapter 1 and not the prologue, then I'd say give it one more chapter. I was hooked by then but if you're not into the game by chapter 2 then I doubt you'd want to continue playing as the rest of the game is 12+ hours to finish. I feel this game was more of a set-up for the second game plot-wise.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ that was a long final chapter. I started around 25-26 hours and just finished at 38 hours the whole game. Amazing fucking game, Joshua and Estelle really grew on me.

Admiral Woofington reporting for duty in eagerly anticipating the release of the second chapter. Was the second chapter the one that was never brought to the West? If so looking forward to figuring it out together with others here.

The thirst is real.

This is the only game in English so far, out of 6 (soon to be 7).

The previous trilogy of LOH games was localized for the PSP by Namco, "localized" being used very loosely and the gameplay was changed from the original PC games.

By the second half of Chapter 2 you start "seeing behind the curtain" and get some real hints at the main plot, then it gets more into that in Chapter 3 and wraps up the main plot thread in the last chapter. Most of the first half of the game is setting everything up for the second half.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are all the trilogies stand-alone or did the previous trilogy star Cassius and friends?

There is really only one trilogy (Trails is kind of a trilogy in that they made three Sora no Kiseki games before they started using different titles).

LOH 1 and 2 are a duology. Then there is the completely unrelated trilogy of LOH 3, 4, and 5. And then there is the Trails/Kiseki series which is LOH 6 and I'm not sure how they count it from there.

But no, the previous games are completely unrelated.

Psxphile

There is really only one trilogy (Trails is kind of a trilogy in that they made three Sora no Kiseki games before they started using different titles).

LOH 1 and 2 are a duology. Then there is the completely unrelated trilogy of LOH 3, 4, and 5. And then there is the Trails/Kiseki series which is LOH 6 and I'm not sure how they count it from there.

But no, the previous games are completely unrelated.

Wasn't it something like LOH 6 was FC/SC/3rd, LOH 7 was Zero/Ao and LOH 8 was Sen 1 and 2? Or did they simply just spin-off Kiseki completely after 3rd? Pretty confusing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think they labeled FC/SC/3rd that way, but I don't think Zero/Ao were ever formally called LOH7. I think they might have been referenced that way in an art book or something? No idea about Sen/2 being 8, but it would make sense if Zero/Ao are 7.

Psxphile

I think they labeled FC/SC/3rd that way, but I don't think Zero/Ao were ever formally called LOH7. I think they might have been referenced that way in an art book or something? No idea about Sen/2 being 8, but it would make sense if Zero/Ao are 7.

This, posted two pages back, suggests Zero and Ao are definitely part of LOH:

I think maybe they'll just drop the numbering scheme for LOH in general and go with subtitles.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, yeah, they never dropped Legend of Heroes from the title. They only did that with Nayuta, which I guess makes sense because it's completely unrelated in terms of both story and gameplay. I just wasn't sure about how they handled the numbers beyond LOH6.

Varion

Are all the trilogies stand-alone or did the previous trilogy star Cassius and friends?
God I wish it did.

As far as the game boxes and stuff go, FC was originally Legend of Heroes VI Sora no Kiseki. SC the VI vanished. 3rd it stayed gone. Zero was referred to as Legend of Heroes VII before the title was revealed. They've never used numbers since. Whether they use them internally or something I don't know, but they don't use them to refer to the games anymore.

Eusis

This, posted two pages back, suggests Zero and Ao are definitely part of LOH:
More blatantly it's on the packaging. Same for Sen no Kiseki II (does that cover have spoilers? Well you can only keep yourself safe from them by so much.) They're definitely still Legend of Heroes, only Nayuta no Kiseki lacks it and that's both an action RPG and unrelated to the other Kiseki games outside of some general themes apparently and a love of gears, which seems to be ratcheted up to 11 given they're practically half the scenery.

Eusis

Has anyone here seen the anime OVA's based on the game? I'm curious to watch them, but do they cover material from the second game?
Correct, more specifically the later parts of the second game apparently, and maybe material from the third game too?

I'd definitely wait until SC's out before hunting it down (or, uhh, just watching on Hulu.com.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read anything good about the OVA. It will spoil SC and apparently does a poor job telling the story since it tries to condense it down so much. The English version also doesn't follow the game localization so some names and terms don't match up.

I wasn't going to watch it because of good things, more out of curiosity to see events animated as full anime characters instead of chibis. But if it gives away events of the second game I'll wait until after I finish the second game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, 15 minutes to gain control of your character after meaningless banter. I'm not sure if I have the patience for this right now.

Anyways, two things:
1) Can you control text speed? Please lord.
2) Is this meant for a certain aspect ratio? The intro movie had black bars and the aspect ration seemed vertically squished, and yet it seems like if it weren't squished and filled the whole 16:9 pane, it'd be normal. Why did they take something 16:9 playing in a 16:9 frame and squish it with black bars? I wonder if I played it in a 16:10 window (a common ratio for Japanese PC games) if the black bars would then make the FMV 16:9, or if the black bars would just become bigger. Speaking of which, why does it add black bars for conversation scenes? So bizarre.

Wow, 15 minutes to gain control of your character after meaningless banter. I'm not sure if I have the patience for this right now.
FYI: If you don't like reading, this game is probably not for you.

This game has a lot of text, and relishes in this fact heavily. There will be a lot of extended periods of reading, and long stretches with no battles at all.

if you're playing with a 360 controller you can have text bubbles just display their whole text at a time by pressing B, instead of waiting for each letter to appear. I'm a fast reader so I don't need every letter to slowly appear.

Dice

I like reading if the text isn't slowly appearing with an annoying rolling tone, and if the content is not inane. If the story develops into something cool, it may be nice, but if it ends up like Bravely Default I might have to bail out. We'll see.

if you're playing with a 360 controller you can have text bubbles just display their whole text at a time by pressing B, instead of waiting for each letter to appear. I'm a fast reader so I don't need every letter to slowly appear.
Yesssss... This helps very much.

If it helps I've played both Bravely Default and this, and Bravely Default never really went past a good story besides the mystery of the
time travel
aspect of it. This game doesn't really tell you the whole story in one push and I never once really felt bored by the story. But then again I was largely entertained by the characters so maybe I didn't really care if possibly the story telling had faults.

edit: also should've clarified that I remapped the 360 controller. I think it's w/e button you have to be the 'cancel/close', which I made B.

I like reading if the text isn't slowly appearing with an annoying rolling tone, and if the content is not inane. If the story develops into something cool, it may be nice, but if it ends up like Bravely Default I might have to bail out. We'll see.
The story is nothing like BD, but it's also very slow. (Deliberately so.)

You're not gonna be hit over the head with any crazy developments until very late in the game. The majority of this game has a very leisurely pace, from a narrative standpoint.

Psxphile

Just waiting on the rest of the hi-res assets (did the PS3 remaster include higher-res FMV, too? Will we be seeing those too?), various graphical fixes and non-borked achievements before I jump back in for a New Game+ run. Hopefully I won't be waiting too long.

Dice

Character conversation portraits are high res for me but everything else isn't. If they're going to update the rest maybe I'll put this on hold and rock my face with MGR so that I'll need something calm.

If it helps I've played both Bravely Default and this, and Bravely Default never really went past a good story besides the mystery of the
time travel
aspect of it. This game doesn't really tell you the whole story in one push and I never once really felt bored by the story. But then again I was largely entertained by the characters so maybe I didn't really care if possibly the story telling had faults.
BD didn't have much of a plot, but the real killer was the aaawwwfffuuulll conversations. If the characters in this are cool then it's all good.

The story is nothing like BD, but it's also very slow. (Deliberately so.)

You're not gonna be hit over the head with any crazy developments until very late in the game. The majority of this game has a very leisurely pace, from a narrative standpoint.
For reference, I liked Ys Oath, Lunar:SSSC, and DQ8, so I can do leisurely story if the characters are charming enough.

Top Bottom