• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Late game magic quartz question

Is it worth using the Time / Cast 3 quartz? It drops your ATS significantly and I'm not sure if it makes up for that with casting time.

duckroll

Is it worth using the Time / Cast 3 quartz? It drops your ATS significantly and I'm not sure if it makes up for that with casting time.

If it lowers ATS significantly, put it on a healer/buff/debuff character. Those are fixed values which aren't affected by ATS. Casting speed for stuff like that can make a boss fight way easier too.

If it lowers ATS significantly, put it on a healer/buff/debuff character. Those are fixed values which aren't affected by ATS. Casting speed for stuff like that can make a boss fight way easier too.

I just have 1 magic user which does both, eveyone else just hits stuff :p

EDIT:
It actually lowers STR, DEF and ATS by 14% each, so the casting time improvement has to be REALLY good for me to consider it

duckroll

I just have 1 magic user which does both, eveyone else just hits stuff :p

One thing I did get out of chapter 7 was the variety of playing with different party combinations. A mage party can actually be really, really powerful, but the downside is that you really start falling asleep on normal battles if you have to use spells to deal more damage because the animations can be repetitive and a bit slow. I did a full melee party for one of the towers, and Chaining became insane for big fights. Full 4 character chains with high STR with a wide attack radius and enemies clustered together = WOOOOOOOOW.

EDIT:
It actually lowers STR, DEF and ATS by 14% each, so the casting time improvement has to be REALLY good for me to consider it

Hahahahaha. Fuck that shit imo!

DPB

I don't think it's worth it, you could balance it out with the wind quartz that raises arts, but Cast 2 is usually quick enough already. For the last battles Kloe was fast enough with that to cast her healing spells without getting interrupted.

One thing I did get out of chapter 7 was the variety of playing with different party combinations. A mage party can actually be really, really powerful, but the downside is that you really start falling asleep on normal battles if you have to use spells to deal more damage because the animations can be repetitive and a bit slow. I did a full melee party for one of the towers, and Chaining became insane for big fights. Full 4 character chains with high STR with a wide attack radius and enemies clustered together = WOOOOOOOOW.
And that's exactly the reason I only have one. Normal encounters are slow already, I couldn't handle that, and so far one caster/healer + items hasn't let me down in terms of survivability.

I don't think it's worth it, you could balance it out with the wind quartz that raises arts, but Cast 2 is usually quick enough already. For the last battles Kloe was fast enough with that to cast her healing spells without getting interrupted.

Yeah that's what I'll do for now as well. The drawbacks seem extreme.

I almost always go 2 mages 2 melee units thankfully Estelle is flexible enough to do either role based upon who I have to take with me. I guess
Joshua
is too though really making him a mage is a waste :p

duckroll

I actually don't really think of the top-tier characters (
Estelle, Joshua, Kevin
) as "mages" or "melee" at this point. They're all strong enough to deal solid damage with either weapons or with spells. So basically they're useful as melee attackers for most normal battles, and for more advanced encounters it really depends on the situation. Enemy with auto-destruct? Everyone just spams one spell without getting near. Enemies clustered together and are weak to a certain element? Party time. Single boss unit with lots of HP? Time to ignore spells and CHAIN that shit! Etc.

The rest of the party selection is definitely much more geared towards one or the other though. But with the possibility of having 3 characters who can serve both purposes really well, it really doesn't matter what sort of character you use to fill the final slot imo!

krYlon

Considering how easy the last few chapters have been, I'm not sure how important really the party or even orb make-up is.

The balance was just right for the first few chapters but now it's FC easy.
Just beat the first boss in chapter 7 and I only used s-breaks because I was bored seeing them on 200 all the time.
I don't know whether I'm seriously overlevelled or I'm abusing time arts too much. But even then it would just take longer rather being strategically challenging.

wrowa

There aren't a lot of battles that pose a challenge near the end, but I think that makes up for the sheer amount of boss battles you encounter late in the game.
The last dungeon has how many boss battles? 8?

Also, I got to admit, I actually liked this. It gave me a feeling of power - I actually got the feeling that my party got stronger during the quest we endured and that we mastered our skills. I think this is a feeing you don't get all too often in RPGs, since it's mostly more of a struggle right until the end.

krYlon

I actually don't mind the easy battles and like the feeling of power too. And the faster I can get through the battles the better.

But then I'm not sure what to do with all the foodstuff (which are ridiculously powerfully lol) and dozens of EP charges and balms I've been storing up. And I've got a whole load of mira. I'll save it all for the last chapter!

Estelle shouldn't use magic. Hitting things with a large stick is what she does, and she does it well. :)
She ain't half-bad, but I think Estelle's one of the more disappointing characters in this game. I can find better replacements for La Forte, Comet, and her underpowered physical S-Crafts (
she never gets an Area-based S-Craft
!); Hurricane is never reliable enough for me to use except for when I want to farm sepith on bonus turns. Her personality is what makes her the strongest character in the whole game, but in battle I sometimes have to wonder what she excels at in particular.
Kevin
at least has an overpowered S-Craft which, by end-game, you can spam using Zeram items.

duckroll

Her personality is what makes her the strongest character in the whole game, but in battle I sometimes have to wonder what she excels at in particular.

Place her dead center in the party formation. Make sure she's really quick and gets the first turn. Use Morale. Everyone else starts chaining. Probably the best way to start any boss battle or chest monster battle.

Place her dead center in the party formation. Make sure she's really quick and gets the first turn. Use Morale. Everyone else starts chaining. Probably the best way to start any boss battle or chest monster battle.
Chaining's something I reserve for bonus turns, and the later battles spread combatants out more often such that I'm usually speeding a caster up to use buffs like La Forte. And much as I would like to get her the first turn everytime, I would have to jigger her Orbment with more Time Quartz than I want assuming I need her more for support Arts like Earth Wall (most party members at this point can easily use Clock-Up EX and even Clock Down).
The equipment she can use late-game isn't oriented towards speed, so Joshua's usually that much ahead; Estelle was delivering food more often than before
!

Nyoro SF

Yeah Estelle is the hit-things person. But in all seriousness Estelle is the all-rounder character that can do pretty much anything you want her to.

Regarding difficulty... I felt like some of the bosses could've used some strategic buffs. Just like FC, the monster on the road fights tend to be more challenging. One of the Chapter 3 monster bosses just kept kicking my shit in over and over again, and I don't even want to talk about cactuses OR karate sheep right now.

That being said, I wonder how many people who say the game is easy is using Kloe? :^)

krYlon

Yeah Estelle is the hit-things person.

Regarding difficulty... I felt like some of the bosses could've used some strategic buffs. Just like FC, the monster on the road fights tend to be more challenging. One of the Chapter 3 monster bosses just kept kicking my shit in over and over again, and I don't even want to talk about cactuses OR karate sheep right now.

That being said, I wonder how many people who say the game is easy is using Kloe? :)

I use Kloe on and off (she's def not my highest level char) and I haven't used her overpowered s-craft in a long while. To be honest I've found some of the other characters to be just as powerful as her but maybe that's because they are higher levelled.

I actually don't really think of the top-tier characters (
Estelle, Joshua, Kevin
) as "mages" or "melee" at this point. They're all strong enough to deal solid damage with either weapons or with spells. So basically they're useful as melee attackers for most normal battles, and for more advanced encounters it really depends on the situation. Enemy with auto-destruct? Everyone just spams one spell without getting near. Enemies clustered together and are weak to a certain element? Party time. Single boss unit with lots of HP? Time to ignore spells and CHAIN that shit! Etc.

The rest of the party selection is definitely much more geared towards one or the other though. But with the possibility of having 3 characters who can serve both purposes really well, it really doesn't matter what sort of character you use to fill the final slot imo!

How is
Estelle top tier? She's really good but she doesn't mage better then Kloe, Kevin, or Olivier nor does she melee better then Agate, Zane, or Joshua

Better how is
Kevin
even remotely considered good at physical attacks? I mean sure you can get him attack up orbs and gear but that sames counter productive to what he's best at, nuking with magic.

I hate to say it, but I think chapter 7 is fucking boring on the gameplay front. Probably the worst chapter so far in terms of gameplay, while chapter 2 is the low point story wise. When you strip away the sense of adventure progression, the exploration of towns, the side quests, etc, and build an entire chapter around just pure dungeon crawling over and over, it's repetitive and not very fun. :(

Gotta... push through this.... zzzzzzzz

Yeah, that repetitiveness ate into good story beats and dungeon crawling, plus those had the only bad track in the game (kinda like FC's army checkpoint theme).

duckroll

Finished Chapter 7. The boss at the end was definitely disappointing.
Aside from the Deathblow and Petrify effects, the first Renne fight was really meh. When her mecha showed up for the second fight, I got really excited, but alas it was nothing like the final boss in FC or even the chapter 1 boss in SC. Boring attacks, extremely slow, it was a cakewalk. :(

I'll say that so far out of the 51 hours or so I've played of SC, chapter 2 and chapter 7 are the low points of the game. Everything else has been really awesome, and chapter 8 is already off to a greaaaaaaaat start. :p

Am I right to assume that this is when the game completely opens up and I can visit any of the regions in any order I want and take on a bunch of different quests from each guild while doing the main quest objectives? Seems really cool!

Dio

Banned
This fight is buuuulllshit.

Going to the Hot Springs and getting 200 CP on every character thanks to a bath, and then giving
Joshua
attack boost equip items, and then resetting a couple times until I was able to get a "!" turn for a crit when I used the s-craft
True Black Fang
and was able to do 6,000 damage to every single worm on the field with a single one of those. Then Tita's
LASER FROM ORBIT
S-craft did another giant AoE of damage and I cleaned up from there.

Am I right to assume that this is when the game completely opens up and I can visit any of the regions in any order I want and take on a bunch of different quests from each guild while doing the main quest objectives? Seems really cool!

Yes,
just don't save Grancel for last. If you do all 3 guild branches for the story, it locks you into the point of no return and you can't do anything in Grancel except the story.

Dio

Banned
The trick is to only focus on one worm at a time, since they only use Earth Shaker when they recieve damage. Clock Down most of them and their normal attacks can't really do anything.

Wow, now I feel like a dumbass for formulating and properly executing a strategy that killed almost all the worms in one turn and then killing off the two remaining ones with whatever.

zakujanai

The trick is to only focus on one worm at a time, since they only use Earth Shaker when they recieve damage. Clock Down most of them and their normal attacks can't really do anything.

I tried maxing CP to kill them all as quick as I could. After about 4 attempts I got really close but then I noticed the thing about the earth move being a counter attack.

After that I did the clock down, one at a time strategy. It took a while but if you move away once in a while and use AT delay moves, they literally never touch you. Went from hardest fight so far to the easiest.

You can speed the fight up by equipping Emerald Talismans on your physical attackers, too. It really shouldn't be that difficult even on a first try, though the hardest part by far is the opening where you need to buff and debuff quickly. After that it's a matter of divide and conquer; setting your characters with single-target S-Breaks helps.

wrowa

If you attack all of them at once at the beginning of the fight, chances are you don't even survive until your next round. Definitely a fight that is very easy to lose if you don't know about the monster's gimmick.

The Best JRPG Of The Decade (So Far)

Schreier is the best

It's just a small recommendation rather than a full review, but it's from Kotaku so it carries some weight at least. Share it around if you can :)

----

Final Chapter character spoilers

I CAN PUT MUELLER IN MY PARTY? O M G
I'm glad we're able to use Julia and Mueller at all, though I've skipped them for the moment since I wanted to use simply the original PC characters

Article's premise is...questionable. FC came out in 2004, Schreier! I don't agree with his criteria for what counts, and it seems he's snubbing other games which have features like what FC/SC have (Mother 2's overworld encounters long preceded this duo's). But at least he mentions the
Ruan hotel side-quest
, which is awesome.

Oh wow... I reloaded a save and switched equipment and everything specifically for that fight. D'oh

Ended up abusing the hell out of Heaven's Kiss from Schera, Clockdown and
Joshuas
crafts.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That Steam sale thing is going to hurt this game, SC really needed the exposure from being a front page deal to pick up some momentum since it was overshadowed so heavily by the Halloween sale at launch.

At least FC managed some success before the change. Going to be that much harder to get the word of mouth engine to full output.

The Hamel scene shows the ol' FC charm and backhanded compliments reappearing, it just takes healing and time.
Honestly I thought Falcom included that bit just because they hadn't done a good job of using the unique overworld sprites they made for Estelle, yet she's being a big ham in the latter part of the dialogue. But yeah, they still wear their old relationship on their sleeves, it's just that SC was an awkward transition for both of them into romance while saving their country

People always want Stuff Happening but I actually thought FC and SC were at their strongest when it was just about people exploring the world. I liked the "Story of the week" feeling each city has.

(end-game stuff following)
In comparison, I thought that the whole Ouroboros stuff at the end wasn't really all that interesting, mostly because it remains some nebulous evil organization with uncertain goals and motivations for the longest time. The Enforcers were cool, but having them appear three times was unnecessary. Chapter 7 felt a bit weak due to that, since in the end you didn't really achieve anything by climbing the towers.

The world building in FC/SC is absolutely stellar and it's a shame that it seems like all of that is not playing much of a role anymore the closer you get to the ending.

However, I loved the flying city. Ancient civilizations are the best. That scene gave me total Grandia/Castle in the Sky vibes.
Speaking of Finale, the world-building's still there, just largely in the background as it's integrated with dungeon crawling. Chapter 7's folly is
putting you through four dungeons back-to-back while keeping you cooped up in the Arseille. Why not have, for example, a Jaegar squadron intercept the Arseille in the middle of all this and try to shoot it down, leading to you guys pulling what Joshua did at the start of Chapter 6 by grappling on-board the ships to subdue the attackers? There's fun NPC development on the ship itself, but that's not enough when half of the dungeons you explore here are flawed padding. Meanwhile Finale does what FC's final dungeon should have, being far less of an enemy-chest dump while having unique layouts and sights everywhere you go. Only the slow elevator/Halo Rail animations drag this part down; you also get to finish up exploring the Glorious, which is really cool. You learn how Liberl's structure both differs from and mimics that of the Liber Ark (with Axis Pillar being surprisingly different from Grancel Castle). There's more implication of what changed in Liberl over more than a millennium based on what you see in this place. And you can easily pick out which parts of the dungeons are worth doing and which are worth skipping based on how strong your party is, whereas Chapter 7 has some forced non-boss encounters

SC is more inconsistent than FC re: focusing on dungeons and monster-of-the-week tropes, but tonally it's about the same and even avoids dips in writing quality I noticed in FC (Cassius's deus ex machina when Estelle/Joshua are saving Luke/Pat is an early one). The chapter structure in SC is what allows for its strengths and weaknesses, since chapters aren't necessarily defined by changes in region, but
the potential to meet Joshua (then Society activity, and then figuring out how to stop Weissmann)
. Unfortunately Falcom got lazy and decided to
circle around again, starting from Ruan going counter-clockwise in this case
;
they really should have known better than to make a chapter just for the asset-reuse dungeons they no doubt scrambled together
. Having a larger number of smaller chapters makes for a red herring when discussing how the story flows here vs. the prequel.

Finally,
I hesitate to call anyone but Walter and Campanella Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains, as even Weissmann drops hints about his past life all throughout (and he's busy doing the enlightened villain thing unironically). At first I thought Blueblanc was one-note, but I can empathize with him simply because, to prepare his riddles, he needed to disguise himself, analyze every region he visited from the commoner's level (very apparent in Rolent), and then challenge the Bracers after basking in this little kingdom. The moment between him and Loewe in Ruan suggests he's only in Ouroboros for the cool gadgets, or at least that his involvement is more theoretical and respectable in that he's a magnificent bastard (not unlike a certain prince on our side). Walter's love story with Kilika, though implied, went nowhere at the end, and her saying that Master Ryuga had cancer makes sense but doesn't impact too strongly because, well, she's had to relay the message rather than make a true fool of Walter. His concession that Zane was always superior, and that he's been trying to compensate by training his mere brawn, is more interesting, but not enough. Luciola, as I explained a while back, has the most interesting backstory, both standalone and in terms of what it suggests for themes in the Calvard arc. All of them aren't the real villains here anyway: Renne and Loewe had the potential, but it's Weissmann and Campanella who have it out for the country, and I appreciate why the latter's still a mystery. These guys are here to spin wheels, so them delaying the inevitable, while predictable, makes sense, and I don't think it's possible for each of them to teleport really far across the country with beta Gospels just so they can tag-team the Bracers each time. I think Chapter 8 should have ended with you fighting them at Grancel, though, with Richard and Cid helping out—only worry then would be Renne's S-Craft, lol

Also, I read more of the Kiseki Community Thread just now. Me and Bebpo will have to respectfully disagree on how side-quests fit into Trails in the Sky's pacing—I've got no trouble interrupting plot to do NPC stuff when that comes up.

Baust

Chapter 4 Sidequest question:

For the fishing sidequest, I've found 4 spots so far: Verte Checkpoint, Milch Main Road, Elize Highway Bridge, and the Bright Family House. How many more are left? About to head into Mistwald soon, so I want to make sure I don't miss finishing this quest.

Dice//

Banned

For the fishing sidequest, I've found 4 spots so far: Verte Checkpoint, Milch Main Road, Elize Highway Bridge, and the Bright Family House. How many more are left? About to head into Mistwald soon, so I want to make sure I don't miss finishing this quest.

That quest lasts till the very end. There IS one in Mistwald, unfortunately it's where the boss there is and you're gonna have to go on back there. Also, the sort of other "hidden" spot is in the tutorial sewers from FC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

There are six total, but one isn't available until after you beat the chapter boss. So don't worry about progressing too far just yet. That sort of tips off one of them, and the last one isn't very obvious - a strange place for fishing.

Top Bottom