• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

I've been using Olivier but I'm always torn between him and Kloe.
Also, I'm at the start of chapter 4 and I'm kinda annoyed that they showed the
dragon
in one of the promo pics.

Lucentto

Banned
I've been using Agate and Kevin. If I can't win in the next couple of attempts I'll probably head back and come back with Kloe and Zane.

But at this point I'm getting stubborn based on how close I've gotten.

Agate is good but I never really used Kevin, though I do hear his craft is pretty good. But I just feel like Kloe is broken in this game. If you give her a bunch of equipment that ups her ATS she can become a real monster. Plus her craft can really bail you out when endgame bosses start their bullshit.

Agate is good but I never really used Kevin, though I do hear his craft is pretty good. But I just feel like Kloe is broken in this game. If you give her a bunch of equipment that ups her ATS she can become a real monster. Plus her craft can really bail you out when endgame bosses start their bullshit.

Yeah, her s-craft can be a life saver.

I feel like Kloe is the best character in SC, hands down.

In my game, Estelle and Kloe were damage, while Shera was heals and Support and
Joshua
did a little of everything, but was mostly my buffbot.

At some point, I might reload the last part of the final chapter so I can give Julia and Mueller a go.

Gu4n

dragon
It was even in promo pics before SC was released in Japan in 2006. It's goes to show that the game has many other, real surprises!

Estelle and Joshua's love was one of the things I went into this game a bit fearful of due to the nature of just who and where they are. I touched on this in my stream-of-conciousness review that they my apprehensions weren't founded.
Other than FC playing with the Shojo aspect of Estelle's hot 'n botheredness flustering her partially for laughs, the theming of Estelle learning to think first, conciously be the shoulder to lean on, for Joshua to trust, to quite honestly believe himself WORTHY of love and that he's not this spike of darkness that can only eventually bring harm to his Estelle (who shines like the sun) the longer he's with her when more than the most mundane of danger appears.

Remember their character trajectories over the last two games: it's why Estelle is stronk in the face of bewitching dreams and bad mans out-of-left-field recruitment pitches. It's why Joshua's "broken doll" act he put on in early SC was both where he retreated to and why it was so painfully obvious to even those Capua doofuses. Even his really nasty backstory deep dive on the escape ship does nothing but encourage the best words out of Estelle this time.

Even at the time this happened, showing off how his thoughtfullness and silver tongue made him out to be the diplomatic of the pairing...

x4d61I1.jpg

you had the farm scene where she talked him down from his darkness. That was the culmination of that, bringing this fact out into the obvious open, for the player, for Joshua, and well, even Estelle. They earned that happy ending, they were each others pillars, and love conqured all the RIGHT way.

They finish each other sentences, they finish each other's lunches, they're far FAR more chatty and "complete" around each other. It would be far wierder for them to do any of these lengths and tactics as siblings (and we really TRULY don't need any more of that in anime).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Kloe is the best character in SC, hands down.

In my game, Estelle and Kloe were damage, while Shera was heals and Support and
Joshua
did a little of everything, but was mostly my buffbot.

At some point, I might reload the last part of the final chapter so I can give Julia and Mueller a go.

Yep. Her potential for extremely high ATS puts her up there (her arts dealt as much damage to the final boss as other characters s-crafts did), but Lichtkreis cinches it. Only Kevin's s-craft is really comparable in terms of utility.

Did anyone actually use her second s-craft? It seemed like a big downgrade.

Tenebrous

They finish each other sentences, they finish each other's lunches, they're far FAR more chatty and "complete" around each other. It would be far wierder for them to do any of these lengths and tactics as siblings (and we really TRULY don't need any more of that in anime).

Maybe not in anime, but we do need more of that in video games. Put two characters of the opposite sex next to each other in leading JRPG roles, and they're 99 times out of a 100 going to get together. For this reason alone, I found their relationship to be one of the most disappointing things about the series.

As someone who doesn't watch much anime, the brother/sister angle was cool & fresh to me.

Maybe not in anime, but we do need more of that in video games. Put two characters of the opposite sex next to each other in leading JRPG roles, and they're 99 times out of a 100 going to get together. For this reason alone, I found their relationship to be one of the most disappointing things about the series.

As someone who doesn't watch much anime, the brother/sister angle was cool & fresh to me.

That's not a good reason to pish-posh it, though. If the above DIDN'T exist, then yah, it'd be "all for another forced romance" and wanting another Tales of Xillia or Tales of Vesperia, but that didn't happen.

Tenebrous

That's not a good reason to pish-posh it, though. If the above DIDN'T exist, then yah, it'd be "all for another forced romance" and wanting another Tales of Xillia or Tales of Vesperia, but that didn't happen.

True. I do feel like it was done well, but I was just disappointed once the game started to go in that direction. Left a bit of a sour taste, y'know?

I'm finished.

This was definitely worth the wait, and I Ioved the ending.

I'm glad I stuck with the Agate/Kevin party, because there were some great scenes with them during the ending, between Agate and Loewe talking briefly, Loewe and Kevin talking about the other Gralsritter that Loewe had encountered. And then during the ending Kevin winds up being really important, between his helping Joshua to get over his brainwashing and everything. (And I would have hated to miss out on Agate finding out about how Weissman was indirectly responsible for Mischa's death)

All in all, the final showdown is a great moment, although Weissman just had to go through three different forms, didn't he? But none of the fights were especially tough, especially not after coming from that fight with Loewe.

And pretty much everything after the boss fight with Estelle and Joshua was perfect. That was a wonderful way to wrap up their story. The whole ending cutscene was really well executed. And we also find out that Kevin was actually a lot more than he was letting on. I'm intrigued about that.

There are still obviously plenty of remaining questions, so I really hope that we can get a localization of the 3rd, and that we don't have to wait another four years for that one. But this game was an absolute delight, and the 94 hours or so I spent playing it just flew by.

For now, bring on Cold Steel.

I've been thirsty for good romance in games, so Estelle/Joshua doesn't bother me.

Even though I kinda like the idea of an aggressive Kloe thirsty for Joshua.

Dunno if anyone from Xseed is still following this but if you are could I give you a gentle nudge for a GOG update ? We still haven't gotten any patches at all yet.

zakujanai

dragon

I've complained about that a lot. Spacedrake said he didn't feel it was a big spoiler but I still think it's pretty huge.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've complained about that a lot. Spacedrake said he didn't feel it was a big spoiler but I still think it's pretty huge.

Eh, I dunno, I don't think it's a big spoiler. Especially in the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small detail. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up more important in later games due to the incredibly minor role in SC.
Ragnard's biggest role was basically his plot bomb in chapter 5, followed by the "tease" of a bigger, ongoing story.

But some people are a lot more sensitive about what constitutes as a spoiler. "Chapter 4 is in Rolent? SPOILERS!!!"

It's relatively minor. It's not like they even really showed off much in that preview. There's no really context there, which just makes it a cool looking image that's in the trailer for a few seconds.

wrowa

Finished it.

And now I feel empty. Here's hoping CS comes soon enough, but even then... I'll miss these lovely guys.

True. I do feel like it was done well, but I was just disappointed once the game started to go in that direction. Left a bit of a sour taste, y'know?

You mean like chapter 2 in the first game? The Jenis school play is when Estelle starts to realize her feelings for Joshua and others point out he cleatly likes her And that was hinted back in the prologue.

Tenebrous

You mean like chapter 2 in the first game? The Jenis school play is when Estelle starts to realize her feelings for Joshua and others point out he cleatly likes her And that was hinted back in the prologue.

Yeah, the farm scene was when I was first like "Damn, they're going to end up together, aren't they? Sigh..."

Not saying it's not well done. Just saying I'm bored of JRPG romances.

Nyoro SF

I think what the game excels at is bringing out the human element, so the romance in the game was excellently done overall.

Final chapter spoiler
That scene where Estelle and Joshua know they're going to die and aren't afraid to die while holding each other was very well written, and wouldn't have worked in a cliche setting with "just another romance" story. Though I kind of wish Joshua didn't have such a reserved personality after he joined the party; a lot of his fun was messing with Estelle a little in FC. Still, the beach scene was very touching.

I mean, unless you are literally tired of romance period, then I can't help you. In a game where characterization is top-notch and everyone (including the NPCs) are trying to live a "life" within the RPG, there's going to be LOVE, baby. *plays sick 80's synth tune*

I think what the game excels at is bringing out the human element, so the romance in the game was excellently done overall.

Final chapter spoiler
That scene where Estelle and Joshua know they're going to die and aren't afraid to die while holding each other was very well written, and wouldn't have worked in a cliche setting with "just another romance" story. Though I kind of wish Joshua didn't have such a reserved personality after he joined the party; a lot of his fun was messing with Estelle a little in FC. Still, the beach scene was very touching.

He was still shook plus had Shit Got Real to deal with (and for a while embarrassed at his behavior). The Hamel scene shows the ol' FC charm and backhanded compliments reappearing, it just takes healing and time.

I mean, unless you are literally tired of romance period, then I can't help you. In a game where characterization is top-notch and everyone (including the NPCs) are trying to live a "life" within the RPG, there's going to be LOVE, baby. *plays sick 80's synth tune*

*Olivier bishie sparkles*

Yeah, the farm scene was when I was first like "Damn, they're going to end up together, aren't they? Sigh..."

Not saying it's not well done. Just saying I'm bored of JRPG romances.

So you prejudged the romance based upon past experience and let it cloud your opinion on it :p

duckroll

I hate to say it, but I think chapter 7 is fucking boring on the gameplay front. Probably the worst chapter so far in terms of gameplay, while chapter 2 is the low point story wise. When you strip away the sense of adventure progression, the exploration of towns, the side quests, etc, and build an entire chapter around just pure dungeon crawling over and over, it's repetitive and not very fun. :(

Gotta... push through this.... zzzzzzzz

wrowa

People always want Stuff Happening but I actually thought FC and SC were at their strongest when it was just about people exploring the world. I liked the "Story of the week" feeling each city has.

(end-game stuff following)
In comparison, I thought that the whole Ouroboros stuff at the end wasn't really all that interesting, mostly because it remains some nebulous evil organization with uncertain goals and motivations for the longest time. The Enforcers were cool, but having them appear three times was unnecessary. Chapter 7 felt a bit weak due to that, since in the end you didn't really achieve anything by climbing the towers.

The world building in FC/SC is absolutely stellar and it's a shame that it seems like all of that is not playing much of a role anymore the closer you get to the ending.

However, I loved the flying city. Ancient civilizations are the best. That scene gave me total Grandia/Castle in the Sky vibes.

I hate to say it, but I think chapter 7 is fucking boring on the gameplay front. Probably the worst chapter so far in terms of gameplay, while chapter 2 is the low point story wise. When you strip away the sense of adventure progression, the exploration of towns, the side quests, etc, and build an entire chapter around just pure dungeon crawling over and over, it's repetitive and not very fun. :(

None of the dungeons are that long and the bosses at the end give great development
for each Oroborous member and the character they relate to

I do agree the game is at its strongest when you're exploring the world and interacting with the npcs.

I was fine with Ch 7 because

Most of the towers are short and simple
They have a ton of great equipment
The payoff at the end of each tower is good enough

You're ON THE GODDAMN ARSEILLE

You'll get back to the regular Trails experience soon enough

krYlon

I'm only on chapter 7 so maybe I should hold off with opinions until I finish, but I agree I much prefer this game when you're exploring the world, talking to npcs, doing sidequests etc.

I'll be honest I'm not enjoying the main plot that much. The saturday morning action cartoon super villian stuff is not for me and is at odds with the more down-to-earth, slice of life, ghibli-esque feel of the bracer/guild and adventuring. It's like I'm playing two different games.

FC was much more refreshing in the way it built up the story and world imo and had a much better tonal consistency between the main plot and the adventuring.

Still, when I am doing the sidequests, I'm loving SC and if anything the quests and npc stories are a lot better than FC's which makes the other stuff even harder to stomach.

I agree. It was a slog, and the structure of it is so transparently game-y. And (chapter end spoilers)
I'm sick of the supervillain Enforcers just peaceing out after every fight like, yeah, a Saturday-morning cartoon.
Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Finalow

Kloe gets higher ATS due to equipment bonuses allowing her to deal more damage. That goes to waste on support arts. Olivier starts off better but by midgame Kloe starts over taking him. Neither are "perfect" in regard to orbments, water is better than mirage but 3 water slots becomes a little limiting.
you mean women only equipment? From what I've seen that's pretty balanced so, unless I missed something, there is equipment with high ATS bonuses for men as well. I managed to get Olivier at 620 ATS or so before chapter 7, and he wasn't even at high levels.
also Olivier has that mirage slot but 1 slot ''wasted'' for EP4, Hit4 or whatever is better than 2 ''wasted'' for water (not including Mind 4 which is needed) quartz unless of course you want to play as support, and that's why I was using Kloe as support while Olivier was the one doing actual damage.

you mean women only equipment? From what I've seen that's pretty balanced so, unless I missed something, there is equipment with high ATS bonuses for men as well. I managed to get Olivier at 620 ATS or so before chapter 7, and he wasn't even at high levels.
also Olivier has that mirage slot but 1 slot ''wasted'' for EP4, Hit4 or whatever is better than 2 ''wasted'' for water (not including Mind 4 which is needed) quartz unless of course you want to play as support, and that's why I was using Kloe as support while Olivier was the one doing actual damage.

The denede slippers or w/e they're called are female only and are +100 ats, even Tita can be a decent mage with them on.

With HP4, Yin-Yang and
Sapphire Gem/Mind 5
, none of Kloe's water slots feel wasted to me. Boost her speed and ATS, load her up with Time Arts, and she's awesome. It also helps that her crafts are superb. Kaempfer/Lichtkreis are immense. The former is consistently useful against just about everything. The latter is a get out of jail button.

It also helps that I kinda dislike Olivier as a character.

It also helps that I kinda dislike Olivier as a character.

booo

I feel the same with Kevin. I never use him.

But yeah, ever since Kloe's S-Craft saved my butt multiple times in a certain fight against
Renne
, I kept her in my party instead of Olivier.
Yeah,
he's just annoying. I hate his silly hair and the way he hits on Estelle constantly even after it's very clear she's not interested.

Excactly!

I use everyone evenly based upon who's the lowest level or who I think will have the most interesting dialogue given the location. How useful they are in combat is kinda secondary as everyone has things that make them worth using.

But yeah, ever since Kloe's S-Craft saved my butt multiple times in a certain fight against
Renne
, I kept her in my party instead of Olivier.
Opening a fight with a party-wide deathblow should not be legal. Even if the game kinda hints at this by providing equipment to deal with it in that dungeon. A 200-CP Kloe was actually one of the two that went down for me, and that fight ended up being much messier than it needed to be.

Finalow

The denede slippers or w/e they're called are female only and are +100 ats, even Tita can be a decent mage with them on.
yeah never got such item, is it in the last 2-3 chapters of the game? If not I guess I just missed it.

With HP4, Yin-Yang and
Sapphire Gem/Mind 5
, none of Kloe's water slots feel wasted to me. Boost her speed and ATS, load her up with Time Arts, and she's awesome. It also helps that her crafts are superb. Kaempfer/Lichtkreis are immense. The former is consistently useful against just about everything. The latter is a get out of jail button.
I mean, water arts aren't really the best as far as offensive arts go so if you want to go for the highest dps character other quartz are more useful.

I use everyone evenly based upon who's the lowest level or who I think will have the most interesting dialogue given the location. How useful they are in combat is kinda secondary as everyone has things that make them worth using.
I definitely used everyone throughout the game, but when it gets closer to the end I like to optimize as much as possible.
Opening a fight with a party-wide deathblow should not be legal. Even if the game kinda hints at this by providing equipment to deal with it in that dungeon. A 200-CP Kloe was actually one of the two that went down for me, and that fight ended up being much messier than it needed to be.

Zeram Powder into S-Break Lichtkreis is the only reason I survived more than two rounds of that fight since I decided to not take the game's hint and equip the accessories that you found beforehand haha.

yeah never got such item, is it in the last 2-3 chapters of the game? If not I guess I just missed it.

I mean, water arts aren't really the best as far as offensive arts go so if you want to go for the highest dps character other quartz are more useful.

Yeah you find it in like chapter 2 or 3 iirc, dunno if you can find another all I know is its never come off since I got it. Gave it to Estelle for
the battle with Gilbert, she two shot everyone with death scream

Finalow

Yeah you find it in like chapter 2 or 3 iirc, dunno if you can find another all I know is its never come off since I got it. Gave it to Estelle for
the battle with Gilbert, she two shot everyone with death scream
oh well : (

that battle was hilarious, I used cookies to stun-lock everyone.

duckroll

Hahahahahaha! I got to the end of chapter 7, and... well....
Renne just fucking destroyed my party in the first turn before I could do anything. That was hilarious. I guess it's time to equip all the Deathblow and Petrify protection gear, go back in, and then fuck her up! Fight doesn't seem hard, like the other bosses, but I like how if you're unprepared for something in the game, you can get rekt'd real quick.

But she can easily get high-level Time Arts, which are extremely powerful and more effective against bosses. Also, Diamond Dust is one of the best offensive arts against most regular enemies because it's relatively low-cost and causes Freeze. I think I only use Aerial more.

Also, DPS isn't a valid concept in Trails. ;) But Damage Per Turn is. And as far as I recall, Kloe takes more turns than Olivier because she's faster.

flowsnake

It's in one of the towers, I think?

Water is fine for (single target) damage. It's not like you need higher level spells anyway so it's not that hard for her to get a spread of elements either.

Top Bottom