• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

DPB

There should be a transport in that area too

That's good to hear.

I don't want to go into the final battles with Josette in my party. I was hoping she'd get better, but even at level 80 she doesn't gain any more crafts, and one of them is pretty much useless.

That's good to hear.

I don't want to go into the final battles with Josette in my party. I was hoping she'd get better, but even at level 80 she doesn't gain any more crafts, and one of them is pretty much useless.
She's why I cringe whenever people say Tita's the worst party member. They either haven't gotten to Finale yet or they're trolling out their windpipes

LOL WTF Chapter 8 character spoilers

I was so surprised to see Mayor (well.. ex-mayor) Dalmore in that house that was for sale in Grancel. Selling sepith of all things. Ever the businessman, huh?
That was so cool.
Dalmore paying bail with his bootleg collection of sepith in that West Block home was a fun surprise, though ultimately a ripoff at prices like that vs. how much sepith you get in Finale. He's right, though: even the former big bads were small-time pawns for Ouroboros, and so (like the Capuas) another noble family turns to questionable business to regain itself. Ouroboros really hails from the Erebonian school of character assassination now that I think about it. The butler at least got his job back

Found another really weird (and ultimately inconsequential) bug. In chapter 8 when you go to
Malga Mine to rescue the miners, I'd rescued all 4 miners and headed into the nest to rescue the bracer. In the little scene however, the bracer's sprite turned into a miner sprite a couple of times.
Weird, but now we know what job Ridge was considering before he became a Bracer?

Also, I just realized what I should have almost two weeks ago: Freemont's the lumberman always standing by the boxes right beside the Bracer Guild in Rolent.
Bleublanc figured Estelle knew to associate this with "something from the forest", and so you're supposed to look for another set of boxes made of wood somewhere in town. But this clue's really clever because I never paid much attention to why Freemont stood by the boxes...made of wood from the forest
, lol.

Finalow

chapter 6 was really nice.

and goddamn,
Olivier left.
would have been fine with everyone else. at least Kevin has a pretty good S-craft.

Taruranto

Chapter 8, fishing question:
I got the Aqua Master, can I get anything good with that? The NPC at the Inn south of Bose mentions a King, but also that fishes are acting weird.

jman2050

Also I'm really glad I chose Hard mode, in FC I could just casually work through every battle without too many issues until the last dungeon, in this game nearly every single chest/job monster and boss has been desperate clawing at initiative and micromanaging the turn order as much as possible, with some "pray character X doesnt get focus fired before his/her next turn" thrown in. Kloe is damn near a required party member at this point for me.

chapter 6 was really nice.

and goddamn,
Olivier left.
would have been fine with everyone else. at least Kevin has a pretty good S-craft.

It sucks that he left, he's such a fun character. Battle-wise though he's become kind of redundant. Kevin can do healing and support really well and Kloe is an offensive Arts demigod by now, no one else is even close.

Once I discovered clock down works on basically everything that killed all hard enemy challenge. When your team goes 2-3 times before the enemy its just over kill.

Once I discovered clock down works on basically everything that killed all hard enemy challenge. When your team goes 2-3 times before the enemy its just over kill.

Yeah... it's way too strong. -50% in an area and lasts forever, while almost no enemy is immune to it

top balance lol

So Trails/Kiseki fans who've played the Japanese games I have 2 quick questions I don't really want a super detailed answer just simple yes/nos will work

Do we eventually meet all the members of Ourboros sc seems to hint at 15 enforcers yet we only see like 6 in second chapter as of chapter 7

Does Ourboros continue to serve as a major antagonist though the series/are they only the villain for the Liberal arc?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So Trails/Kiseki fans who've played the Japanese games I have 2 quick questions I don't really want a super detailed answer just simple yes/nos will work

Do we eventually meet all the members of Ourboros sc seems to hint at 15 enforcers yet we only see like 6 in second chapter as of chapter 7

Does Ourboros continue to serve as a major antagonist though the series/are they only the villain for the Liberal arc?

I've only played FC and SC but I've seen some vague answers to these before.

There are more Enforcers than what we see in SC (and more to Ouroboros in general), some appear in the other games. And by extension, yes, Ouroboros continues to be a major player in the series.

Asd202

Damn this game is so good. I want the 3rd one now! Too bad it's never going to happen after looking at the sales of SC :(. I also fear for the sales of CS I and II...

Fuck why such an amazing series have to struggle :(.

Also is Chapter 9 really that long? Is it like two previous chapter combined?

There are more Enforcers than what we see in SC (and more to Ouroboros in general), some appear in the other games. And by extension, yes, Ouroboros continues to be a major player in the series.

That answers my question thanks

Damn this game is so good. I want the 3rd one now! Too bad it's never going to happen after looking at the sales of SC :(. I also fear for the sales of CS I and II...

Fuck why such an amazing series have to struggle :(.

Also is Chapter 9 really that long? Is it like two previous chapter combined?

Far too early to give up on TC, after all its a much shorter game in terms of translating and SC was gonna be a slow burn sales wise. Best thing you can do is spread the word to your jrpg loving friends who haven't played it maybe gift them the first game to further entice them.

Maniel

Banned
Just finished the game and I loved it! This series has quickly become one of my favorites and now I can't wait for Cold Steel

Dice//

Banned

Hot damn.... that's a hell of a villain Falcom's cooked up. Hope they get to see through their story and continuity they got going on... unlike Suikoden. DAMMIT YUBER DAAAAAAAAAAAMN IIIIT

Gu4n

While 'TC' has become the common denominator for The 3rd, Falcom described it as 'Sora no Kiseki Advanced Chapter'. It really is a side story that re-visits unanswered questions from FC/SC and prepares the players for the sequels that follow. Though the majority disagrees with me, I like The 3rd better than SC because it's so unique, for both JRPG and Kiseki standards.

Considering the steady progress on Cold Steel and its sequel, I'm not too concerned about the series' future. SC will continue to sell like FC, and it's hard to resist Cold Steel after having finished SC. Even though Cold Steel isn't the strongest game in the series, its cliffhanger and brilliant sequel will undoubtedly draw people to stores again.

As far as I can tell from XSEED's blogs, the localisation of Cold Steel and II are advancing smoothly. The 3rd requires profound knowledge of the series, the Crossbell arc included, so I think the team currently working on Cold Steel II is the best team for the job -- but they need to finish what they started working on first.

While 'TC' has become the common denominator for The 3rd, Falcom described it as 'Sora no Kiseki Advanced Chapter'. It really is a side story that re-visits unanswered questions from FC/SC and prepares the players for the sequels that follow. Though the majority disagrees with me, I like The 3rd better than SC because it's so unique, for both JRPG and Kiseki standards.

Considering the steady progress on Cold Steel and its sequel, I'm not too concerned about the series' future. SC will continue to sell like FC, and it's hard to resist Cold Steel after having finished SC. Even though Cold Steel isn't the strongest game in the series, its cliffhanger and brilliant sequel will undoubtedly draw people to stores again.

As far as I can tell from XSEED's blogs, the localisation of Cold Steel and II are advancing smoothly. The 3rd requires profound knowledge of the series, the Crossbell arc included, so I think the team currently working on Cold Steel II is the best team for the job -- but they need to finish what they started working on first.

The world is a really small place :eek:

TC has
Anelace
as a fully playable character, It's better already! :p

And so ends SC.

What a ride.

Hoping that we get TC, but after the nightmare of SC, I'm not holding my breath.

Even if it's the end of Estelle and Joshua's story, I want to see what ends up happening with Ouroborus, which is what I'm assuming TC is about.

So glad I found about this series!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finished the game in 52 hours. It's not 60-100 like what people have been saying, maybe it's because I didn't do the non-listed quests from Chapters 1-7 and did all in 8 and I didn't talk to all the NPCs nor did I do repeat dialogues. A few thoughts and questions:

1. I preferred the Estelle and Joshua as siblings relationship than BF/GF relationship. Them being together was kinda... Weird IMO.

2. Ourouborous are also the core villains of the Crossbell and Erebonia arc right?

Gu4n

Finished the game in 52 hours. It's not 60-100 like what people have been saying, maybe it's because I didn't do the non-listed quests from Chapters 1-7 and did all in 8 and I didn't talk to all the NPCs nor did I do repeat dialogues. A few thoughts and questions:

1. I preferred the Estelle and Joshua as siblings relationship than BF/GF relationship. Them being together was kinda... Weird IMO.

2. Ourouborous are also the core villains of the Crossbell and Erebonia arc right?
Regarding 2:
yes, they're a major player in the Crossbell and Erebonia arc.

Regarding your first point, I agree. I think they worked better as siblings. The love story felt kinda... I won't say forced, but it was a little... I dunno, I thought they were kinda cute together, but I think the game would have been just as good without that subplot. Plus, it was fun watching Estelle get all flustered when Kevin flirted with her.

Besides, Estelle x Anelace should be a thing. :3

/ship_off

Say what you will about them being lovers, but it's definitely not a sub-plot. A point the story wants to make is that, yes, Estelle perhaps had too good a childhood vs. Joshua, even though she knows loss through war (not loss leading to war, though). Nonetheless, the both of them are close enough to have a step-sibling relationship but distant enough in background (and personality) for them to have a genuine attraction as partners. I suppose the game thinks Estelle and Joshua provide a role model for the kind of Bracers needed in a world with increasingly advanced Orbments and organizations like Ouroboros (+ Gralsritter and shark nations like Erebonia) ready to drive citizens of all countries apart for larger goals. Both have many reasons to work and live together, but they can be trusted also not to rest on their laurels and/or get too wrapped up in each other when duty calls

The camaraderie between Estelle and Joshua in FC was never going to stick anyway; all I can say against the love story is that it's a bit too convenient of Falcom if they wanted to go with a new dramatic push and dynamic for SC (plus the tarot associations and sun/shadow metaphors). But I have far more issue with Chapters 1 through 4 being monster-of-the-week shenanigans to a large extent

Say what you will about them being lovers, but it's definitely not a sub-plot. A point the story wants to make is that, yes, Estelle perhaps had too good a childhood vs. Joshua, even though she knows loss through war (not loss leading to war, though). Nonetheless, the both of them are close enough to have a step-sibling relationship but distant enough in background (and personality) for them to have a genuine attraction as partners. I suppose the game thinks Estelle and Joshua provide a role model for the kind of Bracers needed in a world with increasingly advanced Orbments and organizations like Ouroboros (+ Gralsritter and shark nations like Erebonia) ready to drive citizens of all countries apart for larger goals. Both have many reasons to work and live together, but they can be trusted also not to rest on their laurels and/or get too wrapped up in each other when duty calls

The camaraderie between Estelle and Joshua in FC was never going to stick anyway; all I can say against the love story is that it's a bit too convenient of Falcom if they wanted to go with a new dramatic push and dynamic for SC (plus the tarot associations and sun/shadow metaphors). But I have far more issue with Chapters 1 through 4 being monster-of-the-week shenanigans to a large extent

Since I didn't word this as well as I liked, let me try to explain myself a bit better. Subplot was a bad choice of words. I understand that the main point of the story is Joshua and Estelle's relationship and their idealism (which turns out to be spot on for what the country and the continent need) and how they use that and their hope in each other to overcome obstacles and ultimately save the country. I guess my main issue is that to me, it seemed like they flowed better together when they were just siblings. Like I said above, I don't think the relationship is forced, but even after the hundred plus hours I've sank into both games, I just never really felt like they "fit". It's not even really a complaint, just the way I see things.

With all that said, I still think some of their scenes were really cute together, though I could do without Estelle asking for or hinting at kisses all the time. That sort of thing should be natural!

I could do without Estelle asking for or hinting at kisses all the time. That sort of thing should be natural!
Not sure why she figured that was a cute thing to do either. I guess
Joshua
's ellipses were meant to convey how much he was cringing at that point, but that didn't come across too well.

Estelle and Joshua
in FC had a habit of acting clever around each other; the same doesn't happen in SC because they're much too busy trying to work together like the surprisingly powerful Bracers they can be. But that's definitely a part of the prequel that appeals to others more than what seems plain in the sequel, though I've been assuming from hints in the dialogue that they both jab at each other in the usual way, just not so much at the moment.

Playing through FC's Prologue again, Alba does in fact mention that he's "from the North", as though it's an exotic thing to point out. I hope we get to visit this North
Ambria
he speaks of, alongside Leman, Oredo, and the other smaller nations in Zemuria.

You'll know if you've caught it, since it triggers a cutscene. AFAIK you can only catch in it chapter 8, not 5.

well I'm going back there right now. Not sure how I missed that :x

EDIT: Got it. Neat! Only three spots left to fill in my Fishing book.

EDIT2: Got them all! The last three were the bigger salt-water fish

Gu4n

Playing through FC's Prologue again, Alba does in fact mention that he's "from the North", as though it's an exotic thing to point out. I hope we get to visit this North
Ambria
he speaks of, alongside Leman, Oredo, and the other smaller nations in Zemuria.
Wait, is Ored actually mentioned in SC? I thought it wasn't brought up until The 3rd.

Only (toward the end?) at Chapter 2 so far, but the game's localization is fantastic. Probably one of the best I've played. Carpe Fulgar did a wonderful job.

Finalow

It sucks that he left, he's such a fun character. Battle-wise though he's become kind of redundant. Kevin can do healing and support really well and Kloe is an offensive Arts demigod by now, no one else is even close.
as an offensive killing machine Olivier is better. you don't need any other water quartz besides Mind 4 so you can focus on time and whatever else, plus he has all the quartz minus 1 connected. Kloe is more of a beast as a support character, her level 2 S-craft at 200CP almost feels like cheating.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
as an offensive killing machine Olivier is better. you don't need any other water quartz besides Mind 4 so you can focus on time and whatever else, plus he has all the quartz minus 1 connected. Kloe is more of a beast as a support character, her level 2 S-craft at 200CP almost feels like cheating.
Kloe gets higher ATS due to equipment bonuses allowing her to deal more damage. That goes to waste on support arts. Olivier starts off better but by midgame Kloe starts over taking him. Neither are "perfect" in regard to orbments, water is better than mirage but 3 water slots becomes a little limiting.

Olivier's most useful because of his elemental Arts coverage for reasons you find out in the final two bosses, but Kloe gets major ATS boosts later on (superior gendered armor and higher base stats) that make her viable both for nuking and healing. Kevin's arguably more useful just because of his support Arts potential and endgame-relevant Crafts.

I'm not really sure between Kloe, Kevin, and Olivier who is the best mage character. You could make a reasonable argument for all 3 of them
Unless Olivier leaving at the start of chapter 7 is permanent but I get the impression it won't be

Ch 8 sidequests

Rescuing the hostages at Jenis was fantastic, Kurt is a beast

But now I have to go to Ruan for the final quest in Zeiss and I want to kill myself. Who thought this would be a good idea D:

It's the last thing I have to do before going back to Grancel as well.

Ch 8 sidequests

Rescuing the hostages at Jenis was fantastic, Kurt is a beast

But now I have to go to Ruan for the final quest in Zeiss and I want to kill myself. Who thought this would be a good idea D:

It's the last thing I have to do before going back to Grancel as well.
Doing the Elmo quest first actually tipped me off that I should go check back on Jenis in this chapter, something you weren't able to do back in Chapter 1. But yeah, the pump issue's just an excuse for a fetch quest. The Jenis and Elmo dungeons really got underused in this game, now that I think about it. Malga Mine's quest in Rolent isn't half-bad though, as you get a good boss at the end of it

Beating up the King of Blorf is always fun.

Oh and did anyone else find the
Divine Penguin enemy in Kaldia Tunnel
in Chapter 8? It's not part of any events but drops a really good item which increases all stats.

Oh and did anyone else find the
Divine Penguin enemy in Kaldia Tunnel
in Chapter 8? It's not part of any events but drops a really good item which increases all stats.
I learned about it after the fact, lol.
Killing the bugs atop each Device Tower
mattered a lot to more since I figured there was a pattern involved, whereas something like the
Divine Penguin
could have been anywhere in
Kaldia Tunnel

I saw it but I didn't do anything with it... Should have.

I learned about it after the fact, lol.
Killing the bugs atop each Device Tower
mattered a lot to more since I figured there was a pattern involved, whereas something like the
Divine Penguin
could have been anywhere in
Kaldia Tunnel

The enemies' description even says
it got lost because it's dark
so that's why it's only there in Ch 8 haha. Most stats aren't even that useful so it's not THAT great, but I really loved finding all the super strong endgame equipment during the whole chapter in general.

That was the only fight in the game where I almost got a game over. Luckily Kloe's craft is too good. Who is in your party?

I've been using Agate and Kevin. If I can't win in the next couple of attempts I'll probably head back and come back with Kloe and Zane.

But at this point I'm getting stubborn based on how close I've gotten.

Top Bottom