• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Just finished the game. What a treat this duology was. I'm glad to have finally played these games. And after
seeing Kevin show his true colors
I really want to see what 3rd is all about.

mugwhump

Not judging, I like to take my time as well (not that much time, but still)

what have you been doing for those hours?

Do every sidequest, fight plenty of monsters, talk to every person in the country twice after anything happens... it adds up.

Don't think the timer runs when the game's alt-tabbed

redcrayon

Really enjoying this. I chose to travel with Agate near the start, and I've really enjoyed watching both him and Estelle develop as characters.

Estelle seems much more confident, more willing to take the lead, which fits her perfectly not just in terms of character development, but also the career she wants. The Bracer training section was great in terms of a bit more info on how the guild works as an ad-hoc network of adventurers, when senior bracers are off doing something, they are glad of other bracers being around to pick up the slack. Even the way Agate refers to sidequests as 'board-work' is great writing in that it implies a level of familiarity, that he and loads of others obviously see it as an everyday job, and that's why he sleeps through the airship sections. Also, Olivier, who can afford to travel in style, is obviously more comfortable travelling in style too, while younger characters are more likely to be up on deck. I must have played a hundred rpgs by now but this kind of world-building is just awesome, it makes the country and the guild feel 'real'.

Agate has gone from being harsh but capable in the first game, to being more of a mentor now. It seems like he's incredibly loyal to his friends, is far more thoughtful than he looks, and his general 'get stuff done, but do it right' demeanour is actually a pretty good role model for younger bracers. The way he talks with obvious warmth towards characters who are genuinely asking for help, with brisk professionalism to his colleagues, but takes no shit from those who are clearly lying or wasting time or incompetent always makes me laugh. During the hotel sidequest in chapter one, I loved how, if I suggested that my intuition was enough to call out an npc as the criminal, he says to go and do it properly! Even his relationship with Olivier has developed, I'm just starting chapter two, and it was cool to see him recognise Olivier's skill with firearms and as a combatant, even if he clearly finds him annoying and their personalities are completely different.

I think my own thoughts on Olivier have changed over the course of the story too. He initially comes across as tedious (I dislike the 'comedic romantic pest' characters in rpgs) in that he hits on everyone and from the position of being very wealthy and powerful and not sharing their everyday concerns, but after seeing his actions in Ruan, his personality as a poet and dilettante comes across more. I think that when it was only expressed via the medium of trying to chat up everybody who collectively had an important job to do, I found him annoying, but now I find his softer personality actually balances out the raw physicality of the Bracers quite well.

Psxphile

Chapter 6 bracer guild quest spoiler:
God, the moment I saw the photograph for the missing family member quest I immediately figured out it had to be Lila. Still, felt the need to run around town to see NPC reactions. As expected, those who see the Mayor regularly were usually the ones who thought she looked familiar, but just couldn't place her. Nice emotional payoff at the end, too.
Good stuff.

I was about to bemoan the distinct lack of hidden sidequests compared to FC going into Chapter 6 (or maybe I've just been missing them?) and then BAM:
Ravennue Mine gets infested with tachikomas. This job also threw me the first big What's Up With THAT?™ plot point in the game: the jaeger with the blue hair - am I supposed to know who he is? Trying to recall if there was anyone in the Intelligence Division or the Jaegers that had beef with Bracers (or specifically Estelle's group) but coming up short. Maybe he meant in general? Sneaky that they kept his face hidden.
Something to keep in mind going forward, I guess.

What I love best about SC in particular is that regardless of what combination of characters you take with you every scene is written to feel like that character is meant to be there. So many rpgs do the lazy generic line maybe with a variable word or two to somewhat reflect the characters personality but no game that I've played does it to the level of SC.

Gu4n

What I love best about SC in particular is that regardless of what combination of characters you take with you every scene is written to feel like that character is meant to be there. So many rpgs do the lazy generic line maybe with a variable word or two to somewhat reflect the characters personality but no game that I've played does it to the level of SC.
I agree. This is one of the reasons I bought the scenario/script books; they list all the possible dialogues options depending on your party composition. Especially in the case of The 3rd, where you end up with sixteen playable party members, it's almost impossible to catch all the dialogue branches. The series keeps doing this all the way up to Cold Steel II.

My favourite one of these in SC is (endgame spoiler)
taking Kevin to the fight with Loewe.

mugwhump

So how long do I have to do the Missing Guest quest at the end of chapter 2? The board says it's long-term, can I come back to do it after leaving for
Grancel

that penguin just fucked me up hard ;_;

Am I missing something? That article Yian linked was just posted today.
My mistake, I mistakenly thought that was an old article. Excuse my stupidity.

So how long do I have to do the Missing Guest quest at the end of chapter 2? The board says it's long-term, can I come back to do it after leaving for
Grancel

that penguin just fucked me up hard ;_;
Yes, you can.
I did it after the end of the chapter.

Really enjoying this. I chose to travel with Agate near the start, and I've really enjoyed watching both him and Estelle develop as characters..

If you liked Agate so far you're going to love what's coming up. In terms of character development, he's by far my favourite.
My mistake, I mistakenly thought that was an old article. Excuse my stupidity.

Don't worry about it. I don't think anyone really expected Kotaku to run multiple articles about this game :3
Yes, you can.
Are you sure? Don't you usually get locked out when you leave for a new region?
I was about to bemoan the distinct lack of hidden sidequests compared to FC going into Chapter 6 (or maybe I've just been missing them?) and then BAM:
Ravennue Mine gets infested with tachikomas. This job also threw me the first big What's Up With THAT?™ plot point in the game: the jaeger with the blue hair - am I supposed to know who he is? Trying to recall if there was anyone in the Intelligence Division or the Jaegers that had beef with Bracers (or specifically Estelle's group) but coming up short. Maybe he meant in general? Sneaky that they kept his face hidden.

I think I missed that one ._. When did that happen?
But from the description you'll be told who the guy is later on.

Famassu

Yay

22519278993_788d9900b6_b.jpg

Finally got SC's OST, great that I found it just as SC was released in English. It joins FC, Third, Zero & Ao's OSTs (though FC is only the Musical Selections version from XSeed's FC SE release, kind of debating if I ever want to try find the full OST or if I'm perfectly happy with what I've got). Next up, Sen OSTs.

Yay

Finally got SC's OST, great that I found it just as SC was released in English. It joins FC, Third, Zero & Ao's OSTs (though FC is only the Musical Selections version from XSeed's FC SE release, kind of debating if I ever want to try find the full OST or if I'm perfectly happy with what I've got). Next up, Sen OSTs.

How much was the SC OST I kind of want it :X

Are you sure? Don't you usually get locked out when you leave for a new region?

Post-chapter (after completing the chapter's main quest, but not leaving the area)? Yes he can still do it. I have a savefile in that very cave and I can get a SS of my bracer notebook for evidence, if you would like.

If he leaves via airship to the next destination? No, he won't be able to do it anymore.

Dio

Banned
Yay

Cool! I was in Akiba a few days ago so personally my most recent Trails merch was this.

As for the Sora trilogy soundtrack related stuff, I have:

Trails FC OST
Trails SC OST
Trails 3rd OST
Trails FC/SC Super Arrange
Trails FC Evolution OST
Sora no Kiseki Zanmai
Hoshi no Arika Zanmai
Looking Up At the Sky - Sora no Kiseki Vocal Version
Trails in the Sky Unused Music

mugwhump

Yes, you can.
I decided to just do it. I did after a good half hour of fighting with that fucking penguin repeatedly healing himself. Damn, I haven't been that mad at a video game since... oh yeah, the prologue boss :V

Famassu

How much was the SC OST I kind of want it :X
Got it for 35AUS$ from an eBay seller. Not super cheap, but game OSTs rarely are. There seem to be quite a lot of copies sold on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COO0FC8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

though be careful of pirates.

Cool! I was in Akiba a few days ago so personally my most recent Trails merch was this.

As for the Sora trilogy soundtrack related stuff, I have:

Trails FC OST
Trails SC OST
Trails 3rd OST
Trails FC/SC Super Arrange
Trails FC Evolution OST
Sora no Kiseki Zanmai
Hoshi no Arika Zanmai
Looking Up At the Sky - Sora no Kiseki Vocal Version
Trails in the Sky Unused Music
What kind of releases are those Zanmai albums? Similar to Falcom's Super Arrange releases? Been wanting to get the FC & SC Super Arrange myself, but haven't seen it in the usual places I search for.

Got it for 35AUS$ from an eBay seller. Not super cheap, but game OSTs rarely are. There seem to be quite a lot of copies sold on Amazon

What kind of releases are those Zanmai albums? Similar to Falcom's Super Arrange releases? Been wanting to get the FC & SC Super Arrange myself, but haven't seen it in the usual places I search for.

Oh is that digital $12 dollar album the whole thing? I'll just buy that (cd player in my lap top is busted QQ)

Dio

Banned

They're kind of like that. Sora no Kiseki Zanmai is so fucking good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmandi2nKi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSIFYMbqI8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGmm9ozTMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Qy9lCxb2o
(HOLY FUCKING SHIT at this track from the final dungeon of FC reimagined)

Why couldn't Trails Evolution use these versions of the tracks? They're a million fucking times better than the Evo remixes. I mean, I know why, but still.

wrowa

Why couldn't Trails Evolution use these versions of the tracks? They're a million fucking times better than the Evo remixes. I mean, I know why, but still.

Another reason why the PC versions are better than the Evolution remakes: If you want to, nothing stops you from using the Zanmai tracks in game.

krYlon

Well, the first part of the final boss in chapter 7 gave me all sorts of trouble,
Renne's first attack takes out three of my team wtf? Was there something wrong with my set-up? Not sure what I would have done without kloe and had to really dig into my reserve of items to survive.
Was a fun fight though and good to still see some difficulty spikes. Second part was trivial.

I quite like where the story is going in chapter 8. I'm warming to the main plot a little and there are
Laputa
influences everwhere, which I can't hate.

Famassu

(HOLY FUCKING SHIT at this track from the final dungeon of FC reimagined)

That big band arrangement of Sophisticated Fight could fit Mario Kart 8's OST. :) And HOLY FUCKING SHIT indeed at that Fading Light of the Sealed land. :D :O I guess I'll have to add that Zanmai album to my list of OSTs to track down ASAP.

That big band arrangement of Sophisticated Fight could fit Mario Kart 8's OST. :) And HOLY FUCKING SHIT indeed at that Fading Light of the Sealed land. :D :O I guess I'll have to add that Zanmai album to my list of OSTs to track down ASAP.

Same, hopefully someone does an easy patch to switch the sound tracks over for future plays of sc.

wrowa

Same, hopefully someone does an easy patch to switch the sound tracks over for future plays of sc.

You literally just need to replace the files in the BGM folder of the game. I used the Zanmai version of Sophisticated Fight for my FC playthrough this way, since the original version drove me crazy on PSP after some hours.

zakujanai

Chapter 6 bracer guild quest spoiler:
God, the moment I saw the photograph for the missing family member quest I immediately figured out it had to be Lila. Still, felt the need to run around town to see NPC reactions. As expected, those who see the Mayor regularly were usually the ones who thought she looked familiar, but just couldn't place her. Nice emotional payoff at the end, too.
Good stuff.

Start of chapter 6, before going to
take time off at the lake, you could go get Kevin first if you'd like to bring him for that mission

I've spent 80 hours playing this and I've still missed so much. Had no idea I missed a hidden quest. I even went out there a couple of times and it was locked so I think I just got lazy and didn't bother when it actually mattered. Oh well, plenty for my next playthrough.

DONE!

That's how you do a final chapter for a JRPG! Absolutely loved it.

Seeing the names of the people from XSEED and Carpe Fulgur in the credits, who made this possible.. I just want to thank them again. One of the best localization projects I've ever seen, especially from such a small team. In sincerely hope there is a way to keep this series going in the west beyond the Cold Steel games. I'd put down an unreasonable amount of money for a pre-order of the other games if it was possible right now.

~80 hours, all fishes, all recipes, but missed a few BP. Not many though.

And Kevin actually had a scene that made him likable, didn't think that was possible!

DONE!

Seeing the names of the people from XSEED and Carpe Fulgur in the credits, who made this possible.. I just want to thank them again. One of the best localization projects I've ever seen, especially from such a small team. In sincerely hope there is a way to keep this series going in the west beyond the Cold Steel games. I'd drop down an unreasonable amount of many for a pre-order of the other games if it was possible right now.

~80 hours, all fishes, all recipies, but missed a few BP. Not many though.

And Kevin actually had a scene that made him likable, didn't think that was possible!

Congrats, hope to finish the game this weekend myself (currently at the end of chapter 7). I plan to gift sc to a few friends this holiday even if it doesn't go on sale to help increase sales to get tc/ao/zero in English as well.

Gu4n

DONE!

Seeing the names of the people from XSEED and Carpe Fulgur in the credits, who made this possible.. I just want to thank them again. One of the best localization projects I've ever seen, especially from such a small team. In sincerely hope there is a way to keep this series going in the west beyond the Cold Steel games. I'd put down an unreasonable amount of money for a pre-order of the other games if it was possible right now.

~80 hours, all fishes, all recipes, but missed a few BP. Not many though.

Congratulations on finishing it! The localisation really is outstanding. Estelle, Olivier, Kevin and all are great in Japanese, but even better in XSEED's localisation.

And yes,
Kevin is great.

Finalow

this teleport animation in chapter 7 zzzz, I'm at the last tower so I guess it's over soon.

Water is fine for (single target) damage. It's not like you need higher level spells anyway so it's not that hard for her to get a spread of elements either.
But she can easily get high-level Time Arts, which are extremely powerful and more effective against bosses. Also, Diamond Dust is one of the best offensive arts against most regular enemies because it's relatively low-cost and causes Freeze. I think I only use Aerial more.

Also, DPS isn't a valid concept in Trails. ;) But Damage Per Turn is. And as far as I recall, Kloe takes more turns than Olivier because she's faster.
you can finish the game with air strike but the point of the discussion was who's the best offensive character, damage [per turn] or not I don't think the base stats make much difference in speed, that depends more on equipment and quartz.
Diamond Dust surely isn't that good, the area of effect is too small and freeze is usually worse or at least not better than death, faint or petrify. you can still get great time arts on her but Olivier has much more room for any combo (very useful early-mid game) and can get to all those ''ultimate arts''.

then again if you consider stuff like woman only broken slippers giving +100 ATS Kloe clearly has the upper hand.

For endgame, I pretty much only used Time magic with Kloe, Soul Blur for single target and Death Scream (with chance of insta death) for ALL AoE. Death Scream also has a very very fast animation, so it's overall the best spell imo.

then again if you consider stuff like woman only broken slippers giving +100 ATS Kloe clearly has the upper hand.

Olivier's orbament allows him to be able to cast Zodiac while still having a cast time reduction quartz equipped, which Kloe cannot do. But Kloe's S-craft is the best panic button in the game. Honestly if it weren't for all those +100 ATS female only equips, Olivier would probably be the better of the two due to sheer versatility.

Eternia

Where can I find (achievement spoilers)
Bacon
?

What a weird question to ask.
Aren't the locations of the
pigeons in Grancel, Royal Villa, and Rolent?
I'm missing
Eggs
and I assume I haven't been thorough enough in the one you can't revisit
which seems to be the Royal Villa, haven't seen the birds later in the game

Maledict

So quick question. Is it worth playing this on the VITA, and should I start with FC? I really fancy a decent hand held RPG.

(Have to say, even FINDING these games in the UK on the PS store is practically impossible. SC doesn't appear at all unless you search for it via google - searching via the PS store only shows the first game...)

I've spent 80 hours playing this and I've still missed so much. Had no idea I missed a hidden quest. I even went out there a couple of times and it was locked so I think I just got lazy and didn't bother when it actually mattered. Oh well, plenty for my next playthrough.
Seriously. This game keeps on giving; I'll need to do this
Ravennue Mine Jaegar
quest once I reinstall, since I have saves from right before you get deep into Chapter 6.

wrowa

So quick question. Is it worth playing this on the VITA, and should I start with FC? I really fancy a decent hand held RPG.

(Have to say, even FINDING these games in the UK on the PS store is practically impossible. SC doesn't appear at all unless you search for it via google - searching via the PS store only shows the first game...)

You can find SC if you search for "Legend" or "Sky". The problem is that it's called "Legend of Heroes:Trails in the Sky SC" on the PS Store and due to the missing spaces you won't find it when you search for Trails. It's quite sad, really. It didn't even get featured on the PS Blog when it released. :/

Anyway, yes, definitely start with FC. SC is a direct sequel starting right after the ending of FC, so you'll miss a lot of the story if you start with SC.

Also, it's fine on PSP/Vita. If you don't like playing on PC or if portability is important to you, then there's nothing wrong with it. However, the PC version does look quite a bit nicer.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That fight was really easy. Clock Down makes them extremely slow so you can take out a few at a time. Between fighting those same enemies earlier in the game, and the "trick" being in the enemy description, I don't see why people struggle with it.

Famassu

That fight was really easy. Clock Down makes them extremely slow so you can take out a few at a time. Between fighting those same enemies earlier in the game, and the "trick" being in the enemy description, I don't see why people struggle with it.
Not that I struggled with them, but I made them harder simply because I misread the description. I understood it as "killing them" would do something bad, not just attacking them. :p Of course I wondered why nothing happened when one died but I just thought that was luck or something.

You fought them already
as the boss in Chapter 2
and hopefully learned they use Earth-Shaker in retaliation, so I don't get why more than a few posters here (and over at Steam) have been misreading their moves.

flowsnake

You fought them already
as the boss in Chapter 2
and hopefully learned they use Earth-Shaker in retaliation, so I don't get why more than a few posters here (and over at Steam) have been misreading their moves.

I didn't learn that at all, because
attacking more than one is almost impossible because they're so spread out in that boss fight. So there was no reason to think it wasn't just an attack they used at random.

Top Bottom