• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure both of those worked, but Heaven's Eye didn't. With that I couldn't see enemies on the minimap (but I could see them far away on the field), but with Eagle Vision I could.

No idea about the information side of it since I rarely used the monster book.

Psxphile

Pretty sure both of those worked, but Heaven's Eye didn't. With that I couldn't see enemies on the minimap (but I could see them far away on the field), but with Eagle Vision I could.

No idea about the information side of it since I rarely used the monster book.

Ah right. Sorry, guess I should have said Heaven's Eye since that's the only related quartz I have equipped right now. I'm saying Heaven's Eyes proper functions have been restored.

Diablos54

What's the average time you guys are taking to beat FC? I was thinking about diving in after I finished the Witcher 3
My first playthrough came in at just over 50 hours. My second
new game plus
max BP playthrough was at about 30 or so hours at the start of the last chapter.

Oh darn I didn't expect chp 9
The fight with Loewe to be the point of no return,it was fun using Olivier and Mueller together but they weren't my ideal final boss party. I want to use Kevin and either Kloe/Agate/Zane for the other spot.

Finalow

Did you try to read them?
of course, I meant the counter after getting/reading all the books is stuck at 14/16. meaning that you need to do something else, but I have no idea what.

I'm in the middle of this quest, and it's pretty much the nadir of the series for me (
it's an insane fetch quest that spans not just Zeiss, but Ruan
). Both Chapters 7 and 8 have an insane amount of repetition and game-iness that's starting to make things feel like a slog. One of the monster fights in the region felt like it took an hour to complete.
that quest is really boring, yeah. the monster you mean those worms you get to fight for the 5th time or something? That one was one of the hardest monster fights so far, they throw at you a lot of them with buffed HP, and since you're in chapter 8 you also lack ''stuff''.
had to abuse Evil Eye in order to win.

I liked chapter 7, those dungeons might get a bit tedious but they aren't too bad (takes time only if you want to open all the chests) and the music is really nice.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You still haven't finished the game?

I really want to play Third Chapter, but it sounds impossible for it to be localized.

Unless SC just never picks up I don't think the 3rds chances are that grim. It has the least amount of text of the series and apparently the structure of the game makes it the easiest to work on.

The actual huge question marks are going to be on those 2m character a pop Crossbell games and whatever comes after the Cold Steel games.

And a potential light of hope for the Crossbell games is that they are directly tied to the Cold Steel games. So for all the talk of Crossbell relying on SC and newer games relying on Cold Steel, I think everything is going to rely a lot on Cold Steel's sales. (Not that I expect it to matter, because I don't doubt SC will do fine in time.)

zakujanai

Oh darn I didn't expect chp 9
The fight with Loewe to be the point of no return,it was fun using Olivier and Mueller together but they weren't my ideal final boss party. I want to use Kevin and either Kloe/Agate/Zane for the other spot.

I had the same party,
Olivier and Mueller
were an awesome combination but essentially useless item users for that fight.
Kevin
is definitely in my party next time I play this and
Kloe's
S craft would be nice, though a heavy hitter would probably be more use since he never let me get a spell off. Got that final final boss to think about after that though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had the same party,
Olivier and Mueller
were an awesome combination but essentially useless item users for that fight.
Kevin
is definitely in my party next time I play this and
Kloe's
S craft would be nice, though a heavy hitter would probably be mite use since he never let me get a spell off. Got that final final boss to think about after that though.

I used that combination (
Kevin and Kloe
) and the final boss was really easy. The prior boss (not the "minor" one) was a harder.

Kloe was my primary damage dealer. With Onyx + Cast 2 she was fast enough to regularly get arts in against Loewe and had no troubles against any of the final boss forms. Her ATS was so ridiculous she was hitting almost as hard with basic casting as Estelle and Joshua were with S-Crafts. The other characters just kind of did some support shenanigans or attack the adds, because their damage just paled in comparison to Kloe nuking the field.

max_505

Finished the game last night. Wow. That was epic. It surely lived up to the hype ever since I finished FC way back in 2011. I took my sweet time with it and ended at around 95hrs (108hrs on Steam since I replayed some scenes/died at some boss fights). The boss fights at the end were awesome,
especially Loewe! The final Weissman/Aureole form was full of psychedelic crazy color effects that I just KNEW that it was the final boss. Oh, and that kiss scene at the end was just icing on the cake.

What a way for the journey to end. I honestly feel sad that it's over (well there's TC left) because the characters just meant so much to me. So, lots of thanks for the guys and gals at Carpe Fulgur and XSEED for bringing this game to the West. May Aidios continue to watch over you.

Dio

Banned
What a way for the journey to end. I honestly feel sad that it's over (well there's TC left) because the characters just meant so much to me. So, lots of thanks for the guys and gals at Carpe Fulgur and XSEED for bringing this game to the West. May Aidios continue to watch over you.

Keep in mind that FC, SC, TC, Zero, Azure and Cold Steel 1 & 2 all take place in the same universe. You may be very surprised at the things in store for you.

max_505

Keep in mind that FC, SC, TC, Zero, Azure and Cold Steel 1 & 2 all take place in the same universe. You may be very surprised at the things in store for you.

Yeah, I may just go in a Trails withdrawal phase until Cold Steel comes out. Can't wait to see some familiar faces again so I hope we get a release date soon because MY BODY IS READY.

Chapter 6

The FC main characters are back together!....kind of. Holy shit things are happening here.

Edit:
Now they're back together for good! Chapter 6 was awesome.

FLD

Unless SC just never picks up I don't think the 3rds chances are that grim. It has the least amount of text of the series and apparently the structure of the game makes it the easiest to work on.

Wait, I thought 3rd was somewhere between FC and SC in terms of script size? At least, according to that picture of the scenario books going around. Is that not the case?

It's kind of annoying having to find random posts on GAF whenever I want to look up this info lol. Is there some place where script size info for the series is easily available, like a wiki or something?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, I thought 3rd was somewhere between FC and SC in terms of script size? At least, according to that picture of the scenario books going around. Is that not the case?

It's kind of annoying having to find random posts on GAF whenever I want to look up this info lol. Is there some place where script size info for the series is easily available, like a wiki or something?

Old fan speculation. Speculation underestimated the text in FC and SC and overestimated every other game.

Tom posted the actual lengths a while back. On my phone so I'm not going to try to find it, but IIRC 3rd is right around 1m Japanese characters, each Crossbell game is about 2m, CS1 is just shy of FC's 1.5 million, and CS2 is like 1.3m.

So nothing else really comes close to SC's 3m-3.5m. They are still very big though.

Nohar

I finished the game today.

Trails in the Sky was fantastic. I haven't enjoyed a JRPG like this in a while. The writing is top-notch (that's a very nice change from most recent JRPGs...), characters are amazing, and I can't wait for the next game.

Thank you very much XSEED Games.

Finalow

well, fuck. I missed the perfect BP score for 10 points. : (

basically missed the 2 last monster-killing sidequests in chapter 8, because apparently
you have to finish them (and go to Grancel) before getting invited by the queen.
I have a save file at the start of chapter 8 but right now I have no intention to do everything again.

without the perfect score, did I miss anything besides the rank A reward?

Nohar

basically missed the 2 last monster-killing sidequests in chapter 8, because apparently
you have to finish them (and go to Grancel) before getting invited by the queen.
I have a save file at the start of chapter 8 but right now I have no intention to do everything again.

without the perfect score, did I miss anything besides the rank A reward?

You won't miss anything besides the Rank A reward, don't worry.

Nohar

Also: thank you very, very, very much Carpe Fulgur. Without your translation efforts (and from what I've read, localising the game has been a nightmare), we would never have played this game.

In short: a big thank you to everyone who made this possible.

Currently playing (and enjoying) the first game on Vita.

I know the story is a direct continuation, but is this game any different from the first in terms of gameplay, visuals, etc?

Currently playing (and enjoying) the first game on Vita.

I know the story is a direct continuation, but is this game any different from the first in terms of gameplay, visuals, etc?

It's pretty much the same game, just continued.

There are a couple of minor differences with game play (a new combat ability opens up in the game and you also have access to a fully party for pretty much the whole game), but on the whole it's largely the same game play.

Derp that was a failure

Final boss spoiler

After Weissman fuesed with the Aureole, I started the fight using Kevin's max guard... To discover it was a cut scene lose despite the attack doing 0 damage to everyone *shrug*

Derp that was a failure

Final boss spoiler

After Weissman fuesed with the Aureole, I started the fight using Kevin's max guard... To discover it was a cut scene lose despite the attack doing 0 damage to everyone *shrug*

I mean
given that you couldn't damage the boss at all, a cutscene loss should have been obvious

Derp that was a failure

Final boss spoiler

I did the exact same thing. I felt pretty silly afterwards.

Wow what a beautiful ending, thanks to everyone who made this game possible and for those who brought the series to my attention last year.

My thoughts are racing but all I can say is we need Third Chapter and the Crossbell games. There are far too many plot threads left hanging at the end of sc I'd argue even Estelle and Joshua's arcs aren't finished yet.

Personally
I never needed to use clock up or clock down with the final boss, since I had a character fast enough to reliably use earth wall between almost every attack the final boss through out, so I pretty much never took damage from it even without doing that

Personally
I never needed to use clock up or clock down with the final boss, since I had a character fast enough to reliably use earth wall between almost every attack the final boss through out, so I pretty much never took damage from it even without doing that

Well yeah
the only character who "died was Kloe because I didn't know about his perm erase a character from battle spell and made no effort to move her or impede the spell since I had earth wall up on everyone. The clock ups are mostly to get more turns in to kill things quicker.

Is FC spoiler safe in this topic? I just beat that game and it's really amazing. I loved how down to earth everyone was, and the character traits were understated enough that the characters felt human and not like anime characters. I like how 90% of the villains genuinely did not behave like mustache twirling villains until the masquerade was over. Makes some the end game villains feel a little out of place though
(Black hooded assassins? GIANT ROBOTS?)
. Didn't even feel like the pacing was bad, every region seemed to have its own well developed arc, and I actually feel like the world is worth saving. It's such an upbeat and happy RPG compared to all of the melodrama and technobabble that seems to be filling all the JRPGs these days. From the ending it looks like SC is going to be more traditional, but frankly trails DESERVES any angst and melodrama it puts in. Man, I've never been so desperate for a happy ending before.

Just starting SC too. I thought it took place "soon" after FC not literally the next morning, doesn't even feel like a new game. Only difference seems to be that Estelle gained 4 levels from being kissed and Joshua ran away from with all the money and loot.

max_505

Well yeah
the only character who "died was Kloe because I didn't know about his perm erase a character from battle spell and made no effort to move her or impede the spell since I had earth wall up on everyone. The clock ups are mostly to get more turns in to kill things quicker.

LOL the same thing happened to me.
Earth wall was up for everyone when the boss casted the perm erase/vanish spell on Kloe. Didn't know that it'll go through the Earth wall, so Kloe gets transported to Aidios-knows-where. I was like, "Why did you have to pick the healer/nuker?!". Good thing Zane (with Distend) was still there and punched it to Gehenna.

Bladenic

Is FC spoiler safe in this topic? I just beat that game and it's really amazing. I loved how down to earth everyone was, and the character traits were understated enough that the characters felt human and not like anime characters. I like how 90% of the villains genuinely did not behave like mustache twirling villains until the masquerade was over. Makes some the end game villains feel a little out of place though
(Black hooded assassins? GIANT ROBOTS?)
. Didn't even feel like the pacing was bad, every region seemed to have its own well developed arc, and I actually feel like the world is worth saving. It's such an upbeat and happy RPG compared to all of the melodrama and technobabble that seems to be filling all the JRPGs these days. From the ending it looks like SC is going to be more traditional, but frankly trails DESERVES any angst and melodrama it puts in. Man, I've never been so desperate for a happy ending before.

Just starting SC too. I thought it took place "soon" after FC not literally the next morning, doesn't even feel like a new game. Only difference seems to be that Estelle gained 4 levels from being kissed and Joshua ran away from with all the money and loot.

I'm not a big fan of the giant robots in these games either but oh well.

2. I loled at your last sentence.

I am now going to claim that Joshua Kisses are the most effective power-leveling strat, and nobody can claim otherwise.

Also: thank you very, very, very much Carpe Fulgur. Without your translation efforts (and from what I've read, localising the game has been a nightmare), we would never have played this game.

In short: a big thank you to everyone who made this possible.

You are welcome. For all the struggles, I'm still enormously proud of our work on the game.

Herla

I'm in the exact same situation.
But of course I'm starting the chapter from the beginning. 77 hours in, what's 5 or 6 more? Ahahah....ahah...

demidar

Olivier has that single track Orbment layout, gives him crazy diversity in spells.

Tita's blind Craft is pretty good though.

duckroll

Chapter 9 feels kinda slow so far, lots of running around, enemies who aren't particularly strong but take more than a single turn to beat. It's nice to be exploring a completely brand new area though.
I hope it's not too bloated with padding, I just met Josette and I already feel like there's going to be a distraction in the plot which isn't going to really go anywhere! :p

Hopefully now that I can get two ultimate weapons, things progress faster.

Schuhu

Neo Member
Of course I'm speaking about character here, why would you try to optimize anything in a single player game? Especially in this one which gets carried by its story and has a repetitive combat system

Speaking of Tita, her secret S-Craft,
Cannon Impulse F
, finally works as of the latest Steam patch. I was hoping it would become usable by end-game, but I finished SC a couple of weeks too quick.

Speaking of Tita, her secret S-Craft,
Cannon Impulse F
, finally works as of the latest Steam patch. I was hoping it would become usable by end-game, but I finished SC a couple of weeks too quick.

Bwuh secret s-craft? How do you unlock it or is that just the
big laser s craft she gets in the 70s?

Top Bottom