• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

bobohoro

Finished chapter 6

Well fuck, that little romantic reunion hit me hard. I'm softer at heart than I thought. Didn't like Joshua going on his broken puppet tangent again, but Estelle shot that down quick and her wanting a do-over just made me go d'awwww out loud.

Is FC spoiler safe in this topic? I just beat that game and it's really amazing. I loved how down to earth everyone was, and the character traits were understated enough that the characters felt human and not like anime characters. I like how 90% of the villains genuinely did not behave like mustache twirling villains until the masquerade was over. Makes some the end game villains feel a little out of place though
(Black hooded assassins? GIANT ROBOTS?)
. Didn't even feel like the pacing was bad, every region seemed to have its own well developed arc, and I actually feel like the world is worth saving. It's such an upbeat and happy RPG compared to all of the melodrama and technobabble that seems to be filling all the JRPGs these days. From the ending it looks like SC is going to be more traditional, but frankly trails DESERVES any angst and melodrama it puts in. Man, I've never been so desperate for a happy ending before.

Just starting SC too. I thought it took place "soon" after FC not literally the next morning, doesn't even feel like a new game. Only difference seems to be that Estelle gained 4 levels from being kissed and Joshua ran away from with all the money and loot.

SC spoilers and hypothesis for beyond that:
Everything in these games seems to revolve around "And Man Grew Proud" and the sheer breakneck technological explosion of a continent going from horseback and steam to clean-burning, anti-gravity/heat/cold/computer/light magitech wonderment.

Finished chapter 6

Well fuck, that little romantic reunion hit me hard. I'm softer at heart than I thought. Didn't like Joshua going on his broken puppet tangent again, but Estelle shot that down quick and her wanting a do-over just made me go d'awwww out loud.

The switcheroo of "broken puppet playing a good teen boy" for "good teen boy playing a broken puppet", how others come to realize this, the circumstances of the reunion, and Falcom sticking the landing of "true love conquers all" is breathtaking.

I didn't know how they were going to pull that off at the end of FC and for 4 and a half years I couldn't imagine how, and there it was.

Do I really need to fish in this game? I'm okay with the occasional fishing quest but please don't tell me I need to fill out the fish compendium for bracer points.

evilalien

Do I really need to fish in this game? I'm okay with the occasional fishing quest but please don't tell me I need to fill out the fish compendium for bracer points.

You really only need to fish for an achievement. There some nice benefits to fishing like some nice accessories and it can be a good source of sepith, but it isn't necessary for BP outside of one quest where you simply need to locate fishing spots.

Diablos54

10 hours later and that's chapter 2 finished! Good to see quite a few old faces, as well as the little bits of info you get about some of the party. Now, on to chapter 3!

demidar

The switcheroo of "broken puppet playing a good teen boy" for "good teen boy playing a broken puppet", how others come to realize this, the circumstances of the reunion, and Falcom sticking the landing of "true love conquers all" is breathtaking.

I didn't know how they were going to pull that off at the end of FC and for 4 and a half years I couldn't imagine how, and there it was.

I still find the EstelleXJoshua romance weird.

Dio

Banned
I still find the EstelleXJoshua romance weird.

I really don't think it's all that big of a deal. They've known each other
for only five years. Estelle even says 'oh well, I tried to be a surrogate sister for you for a little while but it didn't work out' (obviously a paraphrase.) If they met when they were like, babies or whatever it would be way weirder.

Psxphile

You really only need to fish for an achievement. There some nice benefits to fishing like some nice accessories and it can be a good source of sepith, but it isn't necessary for BP outside of one quest where you simply need to locate fishing spots.

Also that one quest where you need to fish up a
Pearlglass as part of a set of ingredients

Dio

Banned

anderedna

Finally beat the game after probably around 100 hours :)
Shame I couldn't get to rank A bracer. Probably missed one or two missions. Ends up with 370 something BP. Oh well.

Thanks to Falcom for creating TitS FC and SC and also thanks to XSEED for localizing both of them.

chapter 9
anything special happen if you bring olivier and kloe to fight bleu? i had zane with me to fight walter and that was pretty cool.

Chapter 7
I did not realize how gameplay heavy this chapter was gonna be. Still having a ton of fun with it though especially with how Joshua and Estelle are carrying the team. Also the enforcer boss theme is fucking amazing.

I had those two with me and totally missed whatever that was.

I imagine that since Cold Steel is in Erebonia and follows some new special class of characters in a Military Acadamey and Olivier is the Prince, he probably will be setting up a lot of what they do from behind the scenes. Likely to try and "shed some light on the things that need it most." Probably whatever that Erebonian ambassador guy is up to. Though I could be wrong. I just figured that Olivier has a lot of unfinished business in Erebonia

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just curious, anyone in this thread going to be playing Xenoblade X? I wondered if the JRPG crowd that plays this game is the same that is going to be playing X.

I consider TiTs to be the best 2D JRPG of all time, and Xenoblade Chronicles to be the best 3D JRPG. Wondered if anyone else valued the two franchises alike.

Eila

Just curious, anyone in this thread going to be playing Xenoblade X? I wondered if the JRPG crowd that plays this game is the same that is going to be playing X.

I consider TiTs to be the best 2D JRPG of all time, and Xenoblade Chronicles to be the best 3D JRPG. Wondered if anyone else valued the two franchises alike.

I'm still in chapter 8, so no. They weren't kidding when they said this game was looooooooong. Certainly feels way longer than Xenoblade Chronicles, probably because the side-quests are actually important to the lore, unlike the mostly skippable fetch quests in that game.

Best 2D JRPG of all time? Nah that's still Chrono Trigger, though I'd consider Trails FC/SC to be in the top 5 and I'd put them in my top 10 favorite/best games ever. I like XCX not sure if I'd call it the best 3D jrpg but it's also very high up there.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be playing XCX as well, but since I have this on Steam and the Wii U is in my living room, I'll end up playing them at different times and will just be making slow progress in both. Considering how long it took me to get through FC when I was playing <hour per day it will be years before I finish both assuming I keep it up. Though I do have some time off coming up around the holidays so maybe I'll get to blaze though one or the other.

I've always said Suikoden II is my favorite JRPG of all time, but FC has pushed its way up into that list, but I'm not sure it can ever beat it just due to nostalgia on my part. FC & SC are definitely in the conversation though, which is pretty amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trails in the Sky? Best 2D RPG?

But... Trails in the Sky is 3D, unless you are just counting the character sprites/models.

flowsnake

Nor will it ever!

Cold Steel 1 is...soonish, with Cold Steel 2...not so soonish afterwards!

Beaten Suikoden 2?

No, but I could go back to that again. It lost my interest at some point but I'm not sure why.

Likely Cold Steel is what I need now, though I am a bit wary of modern Falcom given that I haven't liked how the most recent Ys games are compared to the OiF-Origins era. But I'd like to be proven wrong, and SC sets up the basic premise of Erebonia quite nicely.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
No, but I could go back to that again. It lost my interest at some point but I'm not sure why.

Suikoden 2 is godlike. It has a lot of the things that make Trails so great. NPCs that change dialog in reaction to events (but not at the same degree as Trails), cities that evolve over the course of the story, and actual character progression for lots of the cast.

The game is really really good.

yes, i'll play next week. Xenoblade was alright, but i prefer tits.

I'm looking for something to fill the Trails void now. Grandia 2 isn't really cutting it so far.

try Growlanser Wayfarer of Time.

Erheller

I don't like Xenoblade very much.

Marow

Say, XSEED got the license for 3rd, right? I wonder if they recorded the lines for that game too upon recording FC, much like they did with SC.

Well, it's far more common in the Liberl trilogy. Falcom goes more traditional JDK with their soundtracks afterwards and you'll get tons of unique songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SURHkKSLXXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5qTXDHk-aY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WXoUZ4R_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LErG7at1_0
Oh my god, this is so good. Especially Zero's Inevitable Struggle, which I prefer the original version of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VSDw8VwaNE (wait, this is actually the super arrange version, don't lie to me video title! (the original's still great, though))

SO GOOD

Psxphile

Say, XSEED got the license for 3rd, right? I wonder if they recorded the lines for that game too upon recording FC, much like they did with SC.

Thought Tom had said they had, yeah, back when TiTs PC was announced. For consistency's sake.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thought it was when they originally came out with FC on PSP since they probably thought at the time that they would be continuing with it.

Yeah. They did all of it at once when they were recording for the PSP version.

Also why Kloe's speech doesn't match her arts anymore, since they reverted the names back to the original German ones.

Have a break in games (just got done with Fallout & Batman) coming up and looking for new vita game to play...

Suikoden II

or

Trails Series (i need to start with the psp version?)

or RPG classic on Vita

Never played either of them. Fan of RPG's with favorites being; Final Fantasy series (particularly VI & X), Persona 4, Grandia II, Star Ocean series

Appreciate the feedback

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Have a break in games (just got done with Fallout & Batman) coming up and looking for new vita game to play...

Suikoden II

or

or RPG classic on Vita

Never played either of them. Fan of RPG's with favorites being; Final Fantasy series (particularly VI & X), Persona 4, Grandia II, Star Ocean series

Appreciate the feedback

Both Trails games are on PSN and PC. FC is slightly better on PC due to text fixes (disregarding the portable vs resolution/performance tradeoff). SC seems much better on PC since the PSP version seems to have several bugs that will presumably never be patched, quite a few text issues, and the PC version doesn't have "disc" swapping.

Suikoden II

or

or RPG classic on Vita

Appreciate the feedback

Suikoden II is the best game ever. Trails FC and SC are great too. if you want to participate here, start with them. yes, they're on PSP.

Both Trails games are on PSN and PC. FC is slightly better on PC due to text fixes (disregarding the portable vs resolution/performance tradeoff). SC seems much better on PC since the PSP version seems to have several bugs that will presumably never be patched, quite a few text issues, and the PC version doesn't have "disc" swapping.

i never saw a bug in the PSP version. it was a smooth experience and i'm almost finished with the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Suikoden II is the best game ever. Trails FC and SC are great too. if you want to participate here, start with them. yes, they're on PSP.

i never saw a bug in the PSP version. it was a smooth experience and i'm almost finished with the game.

The ones I've seen mentioned are very minor, at least. Unreadable text in some quest completion notifications, the 10s digits not appearing in the game timer, a treasure chest that discolored the screen when you open it. Text problems seem work, looks like any line in the game starting with "Oh" gets cut off.

Thanks! Gonna start with Suikoden II then Trails

Do i need to play the first one before hopping into the second?

Yes, the second game picks up immediately where the first one leaves off and expects you to be familiar with what happened throughout the first.

The ones I've seen mentioned are very minor, at least. Unreadable text in some quest completion notifications, the 10s digits not appearing in the game timer, a treasure chest that discolored the screen when you open it. Text problems seem work, looks like any line in the game starting with "Oh" gets cut off.

yes, i had 2 unreadable sidequest completion messages. i think both were in ruan early game.

Diablos54

It took me almost 5 hours after the end of chapter 2 to even go to the first place in chapter 3
the Erbe Royal Villa to find a lost kid
. Too busy exploring, talking to everyone and fighting. I'm currently at 24 hours Is that a normal pace haha?

Top Bottom