• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Dio

Banned
Found a couple cute pics among others of the Sky/Zero/Azure/Cold Steel/Nayuta characters interacting from a 2014 calendar.

Nan79Nn.jpg

AEk7sJe.jpg

bEK5vlr.jpg

It took me almost 5 hours after the end of chapter 2 to even go to the first place in chapter 3
the Erbe Royal Villa to find a lost kid
. Too busy exploring, talking to everyone and fighting. I'm currently at 24 hours Is that a normal pace haha?

That's around the pace I was on, because I went around talking to everyone at every opportunity.

Erheller

Found a couple cute pics among others of the Sky/Zero/Azure/Cold Steel/Nayuta characters interacting from a 2014 calendar.

Do you know that Falcom fansite that has a bunch of their promotional material? I can't remember what it was called. It may have been run by omgfloofy?

I know that's really vague, sorry.

Diablos54

That's around the pace I was on, because I went around talking to everyone at every opportunity.
Yea that's exactly what I do. Every time the NPC dialogue changes I'll run around the whole region talking to everyone to see how there getting on and if there are any hidden quests about.

Bladenic

Who designed the characters for these games versus for Zero onward? I think I prefer the design of the characters versus later on, although I do like the designs of both.

Also finished chapter 7. Never gonna finish this game lmao.

Chapter 7

*Starts the battle vs Renne*

*Uses S-break. Estelle, Joshua and Kevin die in one hit*

Well this is a difficulty spike

Edit: Fuck, I really really really don't want to go back to the ship to grab anti-petrification/deathblow accesories. This kind of shit is the worst.

Bladenic

Chapter 7

*Starts the battle vs Renne*

*Uses S-break. Estelle, Joshua and Kevin die in one hit*

Well this is a difficulty spike

LMAO that happened to me except
Agate Kloe Joshua died. And I just let Estelle die and retry. Second time I was like please just not Kloe and she was the only one to die but it was okay.

LMAO that happened to me except
Agate Kloe Joshua died. And I just let Estelle die and retry. Second time I was like please just not Kloe and she was the only one to die but it was okay.

Lucky.
I keep reloading and the two characters that don't have deathblow accessories are dying without fail and the rest are wiping from petrification/damage. I think this might fight might be impossible without the accessories. Might just try spamming my own s-breaks on the other enemies before Renne can get hers out.

Edit:
Yay, finally got one where everyone survived! Based Joshua and his critical buffed 200 CP true sever taking out the entire room.

Edit 2:
OH GOD ANOTHER FIGHT

Dio

Banned
Who designed the characters for these games versus for Zero onward? I think I prefer the design of the characters versus later on, although I do like the designs of both.

Also finished chapter 7. Never gonna finish this game lmao.

Katsumi Enami for Zero/Ao. His style can be seen in Ys Seven and Baccano as well.

I actually really like their character design iterations.

Sen no Kiseki's stuff is in-house artists, IIRC.

Katsumi Enami for Zero/Ao. His style can be seen in Ys Seven and Baccano as well.

Correction:

Ao isn't by Enami, but an in-house artist that mimics the same style..

Dio

Banned
Correction:

Ao isn't by Enami, but an in-house artist that mimics the same style..

Fair. I meant that Enami did the character designs - since Zero/Ao are a duology with the same characters - for both games by extension. That's all.

I'm also aware that Enami gets really irritated at how many people attribute art to him that wasn't his work on Kiseki.

max_505

Damn, Kloe's so cute even when she's wearing a different school uniform. Gotta agree with that NPC in Rolent grading the girls that pass by the landing port... KLOE'S A 100!

Need help on Chapter 3
I got stuck on the stairs on my way down from Grancel Balcony and I cant even move any further. I can't tell if this is a bug but im literally stuck
I really dont want to start over everything
Can anyone help

max_505

Need help on Chapter 3
I got stuck on the stairs on my way down from Grancel Balcony and I cant even move any further. I can't tell if this is a bug but im literally stuck
I really dont want to start over everything
Can anyone help

The game regularly autosaves when you enter/exit rooms, so just load the most recent autosave before you got stuck (on the load screen, it's the one before the 1st page of the regular savefiles).

Thank Aidios to that person who implemented the rolling autosave feature.

EDIT: Or wait... are you saying that you get stuck EVEN IF you reload?

The game regularly autosaves when you enter/exit rooms, so just load the most recent autosave before you got stuck (on the load screen, it's the one before the 1st page of the regular savefiles).

Thank Aidios to that person who implemented the rolling autosave feature.

EDIT: Or wait... are you saying that you get stuck EVEN IF you reload?

OMG TYVM I didnt think about the auto save feature
You're a LIFE SAVER

huh1678

Banned
So i just started and oh man the feels :( and thank blackfriday for them HD 598s, portable gaming never sounded so good <3

Lucky.
I keep reloading and the two characters that don't have deathblow accessories are dying without fail and the rest are wiping from petrification/damage. I think this might fight might be impossible without the accessories. Might just try spamming my own s-breaks on the other enemies before Renne can get hers out.

Edit:
Yay, finally got one where everyone survived! Based Joshua and his critical buffed 200 CP true sever taking out the entire room.

Edit 2:
OH GOD ANOTHER FIGHT

Many of those enemy supers are not screen-wide; they're lines, PBAoEs, etc. ;)

I'm also aware that Enami gets really irritated at how many people attribute art to him that wasn't his work on Kiseki.
Falcom just needs to straight up tell us who their current illustrator/character artist is so we can suggest to them via questionnaire to get someone more interesting on the job. This person does a soulless imitation of Enami's art, with less interesting shading, faces that look the same way too often (more than Enami who already suffers), lavish amounts of work spent on backgrounds rather than posing/giving personality to characters, &c. And it's really annoying when people look at this stuff and tag it as Enami's work, though it doesn't happen often at least. Company's still too cagey about not releasing official album track credits for anything JDK's worked on, so this seems to be a recurring problem (and part of their brand, in the West at least, comes from their legendary staff).

That said, I don't think we should go back to You Shiina either. Falcom's been good about getting new artists for years, I just don't want them to fall into a losing streak.

Falcom just needs to straight up tell us who their current illustrator/character artist is so we can suggest to them via questionnaire to get someone more interesting on the job. This person does a soulless imitation of Enami's art, with less interesting shading, faces that look the same way too often (more than Enami who already suffers), lavish amounts of work spent on backgrounds rather than posing/giving personality to characters, &c. And it's really annoying when people look at this stuff and tag it as Enami's work, though it doesn't happen often at least. Company's still too cagey about not releasing official album track credits for anything JDK's worked on, so this seems to be a recurring problem (and part of their brand, in the West at least, comes from their legendary staff).

That said, I don't think we should go back to You Shiina either. Falcom's been good about getting new artists for years, I just don't want them to fall into a losing streak.

I doubt Falcom is going to tell you who the character designer is so that you can pester them to fire that person.

I doubt Falcom is going to tell you who the character designer is so that you can pester them to fire that person.

we can suggest to them via questionnaire to get someone more interesting on the job
They just put out an online survey/contest to gauge fan reactions to their most recent games. I never said fire the guy they have now, just find someone different (and more unique) and prepare their best possible offer once the current artist leaves. Falcom art staff has fairly common turnover, much in line with how JDK members switch out. Falcom was crediting the character illustrator for their products up until around Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki/Nayuta no Kiseki; I've read that Falcom's since transitioned to having all its graphic artists work on the illustrations, but there's so many of them I have to think someone's co-ordinating and has codified how the new illustration and design style must look.

Dio

Banned

Yeah, in the Untold History of Game Developers, you can read about Yuzo Koshiro being confused as to why Falcom never credits him for any of his contributions to Falcom Sound Team JDK.

I mean... if you want to tell Falcom that the character art in their recent games sucks, that's fine, but you don't need to know who the artist is to do that.
True, but it would help, and I don't think it would hurt to know who's behind the brand. Falcom maybe is just really tired of their best talents getting snapped up by more powerful companies, but from what I've seen that doesn't happen as often as employees leaving to work on passion projects and/or freelancing. Minako Iwasaki, one of Falcom's character illustrators and designers from 1993 to the end of the millennium, left to do art alongside ex-Falcom developers at Gruppo1 (they made an overlooked series of Japanese Windows Rogue-likes called Wind Seekers). Both Makoto Shinkai and Atsushi Shirakawa/TENMON had plenty to do at Falcom but resigned apparently to do personal projects (I'm giving Falcom's management benefit of doubt here).

There's evidence that JDK made internal track credit lists for their projects but the company rarely disclosed them; it's only because of Josep/jdkluv/Matron that we have more of an idea (in our fan community) who did which tracks on certain games, particularly Ys IV.

Shouta

There's really nothing wrong with the current designer doing Falcom's work. Their art could use a bit personal style and maybe work on differentiating faces are really my only complaints. The designs themselves are fine though. Even the Cold Steel school uniforms have quite a bit of personality to them when you actually look at the stuff they're wearing.

Dio

Banned
There's really nothing wrong with the current designer doing Falcom's work. Their art could use a bit personal style and maybe work on differentiating faces are really my only complaints. The designs themselves are fine though. Even the Cold Steel school uniforms have quite a bit of personality to them when you actually look at the stuff they're wearing.

I don't have a problem with pandering, myself, but Fie's outfit in Sen 2 really made me do a double take. It looks kinda out of nowhere and like it doesn't fit with any of the designs of the rest of the cast. Someone feel free to correct me on if there's a good reason for it besides being figure-making bait.

demidar

I really like the art style and character designs of whoever did TitS FC/SC and Ys Origins/Oath.

Cold Steel looks very... generic? To me.

Whoever did Adol's Ys 7 rendition is also great.

Bladenic

FC/SC probably some in house artists too then?

I don't have a problem with pandering, myself, but Fie's outfit in Sen 2 really made me do a double take. It looks kinda out of nowhere and like it doesn't fit with any of the designs of the rest of the cast. Someone feel free to correct me on if there's a good reason for it besides being figure-making bait.

Hmm...

It's not a spoiler, but I'll leave it behind spoiler bars anyway.

Yes, there is a reason why her outfit clashes with the rest of the cast.

With that being said,
it doesn't somehow mean the motive was 100% pure to storytelling reasons, even if there's a story reason why her design clashes.

In a way, you could say that Fie's design [subtle hints that can lead to being able to guess the story bit if you played a bit of CS]
echoes not too different from why Schera dresses the way she does.

Dio

Banned
Whoever did Adol's Ys 7 rendition is also great.

That would be Katsumi Enami.

FC/SC probably some in house artists too then?

The portrait art ingame for FC/SC is an unnamed in-house artist.

Yes, there is a reason why her outfit clashes with the rest of the cast.

With that being said,
it doesn't somehow mean the motive was 100% pure to storytelling reasons, even if there's a story reason why her design clashes.

In a way, you could say that Fie's design [subtle hints that can lead to being able to guess the story bit if you played a bit of CS]
echoes not too different from why Schera dresses the way she does.

Fair. Falcom usually has good justifications for these kinds of things.

I do prefer Enami Katsumi, but I've come around to whoever did the art for Cold Steel.

Besides, that artist imo, does the best-looking rendition of [Trails of CS spoiler]
Olivert Reise Arnor
, so yeah.

Marow

I really like the artwork in "Ys vs Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga". Ys Seven is good, too. Plus Ao/Zero no Kiseki.

Psxphile

Catching up after barely getting any play time in the last few days, still in Chapter 8:
I went in the order of Bose -> Ruan -> Zeiss -> Grancel and I've just finally entered the Rolent area where I left off last night. As I completed quests, saved a school, restored the hot springs, killed Dimension Bugs and generally made my way through Liberl on foot (again) I picked up Gambler Jacks 12, 13 and 14 but no 11. I assume I'll find that in Rolent, and if so then it would appear I should have visited Rolent first. Hopefully that doesn't mean I missed out on some time-sensitive quest or story bit.

Top Bottom