• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

desmax

Who though putting "Win 1000 battles" trophy was a good idea?

I finished everything, and I still just did 900...
Oh well

FC Bayern

Who though putting "Win 1000 battles" trophy was a good idea?

I finished everything, and I still just did 900...
Oh well

I'm finishing up my third run (went completely blind for the first run and didn't save the notes -.-) and im only around 750, so it's not the end of the world. Load times make it much slower then it needs to be though :\

At least it isn't nearly as bad as the battle trophies in Operation Abyss and Dungeon Travelers 2 though.

Damn NG+ is such a bore (I'm on nightmare), I kill every bosses under a minute :/
I shouldn't have kept my characters level but I have a feeling that it would be too hard x)

Maybe I'll try a clean playthrough on nightmare after that one, just before the sequel comes out.

Also, just to be sure, for the bond trophies: to be able to dance with the characters I have to invite them on a stand during the festival, right ? Because I did spent all my festival tickets but I was only able to dance with 3 characters. And those characters were among my weakest link level.

desmax

Damn NG+ is such a bore (I'm on nightmare), I kill every bosses under a minute :/
I shouldn't have kept my characters level but I have a feeling that it would be too hard x)

Maybe I'll try a clean playthrough on nightmare after that one, just before the sequel comes out.

Also, just to be sure, for the bond trophies: to be able to dance with the characters I have to invite them on a stand during the festival, right ? Because I did spent all my festival tickets but I was only able to dance with 3 characters. And those characters were among my weakest link level.

You'll need to invite them to 2 stands for them to become available.

Hanging out with them on Chapter 6 beginning (Or chapter 5 beginning for Towa) or inviting them to get the clothes with the bike also counts

You'll need to invite them to 2 stands for them to become available.

Hanging out with them on Chapter 6 beginning (Or chapter 5 beginning for Towa) or inviting them to get the clothes with the bike also counts

Oh... Ok. So I can have only 5 bond trophies per playthrough right? That mean I'll have to play through the last dungeon at least 2 time to get all of them :/
Thanks.

desmax

Oh... Ok. So I can have only 5 bond trophies per playthrough right? That mean I'll have to play through the last dungeon at least 2 time to get all of them :/
Thanks.

I actually got 10 to show up on my second playtrough.

You'll get 4 bonding points on chapter 6, so you can use them on the characters you'll want to bring (Plus the bounding point used for Towa in chapter 5), so here's there 5.

Another one if you choose another character to go with you get the clothes.

And, since you'll get 6 tickets, you can get 3 more to be available.

I feel like something not adding up, but looking at my trophies, I somehow managed to get 10

Oh right, there are 6 tickets. Also I forgot you can have several bonding event on chapter 6.
And I think I need a certain amount of link xp for Towa to be able to ask her to dance. I'll just spend my bonding points with her from now on (I'm currently on chapter 3), to be sure.

desmax

aaaaand, I'm done

2016-03-27-053324vmsqy.jpg

Finished the prologue. Looking forward to what's to come, getting to see the world from Erebonia's side will be cool.
Characters seem pretty cliche but I know they will grow into much more.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so having just finished Trails in the Sky SC, I'll be starting this soon.
Is it recommended to read a summary of the Crossbell chapters (that we probably won't ever get), or will this spoil too much of Cold Steel I ?

desmax

Is it recommended to read a summary of the Crossbell chapters (that we probably won't ever get), or will this spoil too much of Cold Steel I ?

Nah. Cold Steel 1 was made for newcomers in mind

Gu4n

Not at all: what happens in the Crossbell chapters happens at the same time as Cold Steel. Better keep your eyes on the newspapers!

DodgeDusk

Finished this game last night, on Hard. I must say, (major spoilers)
Crow being the leader of the Imperial Liberation Front really surprised me. Looking back, I guess the game does elude to him being C on more than one occasion, but I never connected the dots in time. When Millium announces Crow is one of the suspects, my shock was apparent. CROW ;_; Fighting as Valimar was pretty great, too. The wait for Cold Steel 2 is going to be a long one.

I think the most fun fight for me was
fighting against Vulcan. Seeing an S-Craft capable of incapacitating all my characters in a single hit really made the fight that much more tense. I wasn't using Adamantine Shield at the time, too, so I was constantly on edge. Beating him on my first go gave me so much satisfaction. Haven't felt that in a while. Fighting C after him proved to me much harder. Sylphid Dance spam proves to me the best strategy! I think I was underlevelled, though. High 50s, if I'm recalling right. Think I finished the game around the 64-65 mark.

Finished the game in just under 100 hours. GOTY so far, easily.

ys45

I'm at chapter 3 about 23h in and I must say this is definitely one of the best jrpg I played in a while .

Music is awesome (as expected from a Falcom game) the world and the lore is great .
I like how there is many characters but they take the time to introduce them and develop the story around each of them .

I'm still wondering why I could not get into FC, I think I'm gonna try continuing my game after TOC .

I'm playing on normal, I hope it's not too easy, SC's hard mode burned me lol.

I know it's a matter of budget but I wish these smaller jrpg developers put a bit more effort into animation. It's like the Atelier games, Ar No Surge, etc... The character models are nice with a decent amount of detail but the robotic/floaty animations are really jarring.

BluWacky

My PS3 crashed on what I think was the final section in what I assume is the final dungeon.

No, I hadn't saved since the start of the day (who needs to save in this game when you can retry every battle????).

-_-

I've had fun, but I kind of want Cold Steel to be over. As everyone has pointed out, the game is almost entirely scene-setting, and I've been playing it for bloody ages; getting a picture of Erebonia is obviously important for understanding the political tensions etc. (particularly as I haven't finished Sky FC, let alone played SC yet!). The narrative appears to be closing off things to do with many of the principals (Gaius, for instance) so I'm not sure how Cold Steel II will deal with them (I assume that (spoilers)
Emma in particular will have her background revealed in the next game
.)

There's been some slightly wonky balancing towards the end of the game IMO - spoilers for chapter 6
Putting Comrade C (I can take a guess who he is...) in a battle with those two robots and having all of them use Faint moves is super-cheap; Faint is by far the most debilitating status effect in the game, and particularly straight after fighting Vulcan it seems a little silly.
and (chapter 7 spoilers)
Most of my frustration about having to redo the dungeon at the bottom of the Old Schoolhouse is those giant rock enemies, who are vastly more powerful than anything else down there. Yet every other fight - even the special treasure chest ones - is pretty much a breeze.

Just finished the game, and my mind is still recovering from all those craziness appearing one after another.

Sometimes the relatively low production value bums me out. Words cannot describe how disappointed I was when [Final Chapter spoiler]
2/3 of the concert were just instrumental. And throughout the third song, I couldn't help but imagining how magnificent it would be if the vocal was actually of the five singers, with the voices of the audience gradually joining the chorus as the visual suggested. Also, with the "song everybody would know" comment the day before, I was expecting that it'd be "The Whereabouts of Light".

Most importantly, I'm certain I'm not alone in really longing to actually hear the Machias-Jusis duet. The very idea filled my heart with wonder and delight from the very moment it was suggested. Then... no voice. No voice... T_T

In general, I liked the game more than Sky FC (I make this comparison because both are the first part of a plot arc). While there were no character growth and interaction as strong as Estelle-Joshua, they were spread more evenly among the cast. The intrigues and conspiracies also have more presence and made the game felt more exciting from the beginning.

Gu4n

Since I see this coming up a lot, the final battle on Nightmare is actually following a fairly simple script and therefore becomes predictable once you knows the opponent's moves. Hoping it helps someone, below is a step of actions you take in each turn to get safely to the end of the battle.

Normal stance: Arms.
Low stance: Body.
In front: Head.

1. Attack
2. Attack
3. Qinggong
4. Attack
5. Spirit
6. Qinggong
7. Attack (+Rush)
8. Attack

HP halved, switching modes:
Normal stance: Arms.
Low stance: Head.
In front: Body.

9. Qinggong
10. Spirit
11. Normal attack
12. Qinggong

The following steps depend on your level.

Lv. 65-68:
13. Attack
14. Morning Moon (could lead to victory)

Lv. 69-71:
13. Morning Moon (could lead to victory)
14. Lustrous Slash (could lead to victory)

Lv. 72 and higher:
13. Attack
14. Attack (+Rush)

Watching the trailer for Sen no Kiseki II was a mistake I shall pay for every single day of the next seven months...

Tempering my expectations now because surely reality is not that wonderful. To those who have played the game:
the trailer said something to the effect of "gather students to unlock new features on the Courageous". I-I-Is it something similar to Suikoden's castle-buliding?

Since I see this coming up a lot, the final battle on Nightmare is actually following a fairly simple script and therefore becomes predictable once you knows the opponent's moves. Hoping it helps someone, below is a step of actions you take in each turn to get safely to the end of the battle.

Oo nice. This would certainly come in handy on my second playthrough (one of these days)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Listening to the soundtrack from CSII (which I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO if you haven't beaten this game), it appears that CSI has better battle themes.

Not that A Heated Mind or Bring Up Trust are bad, because they're amazing. It just seems like they're a lot more "sweeping" or "dramatic" than the upbeat CSI tracks.

Don't Be Defeated by a Friend is my favorite boss music in any game.

Nyoro SF

Heated Mind and Bring Up Trust have such sick drum lines, that makes all the difference to me in terms of preference.

If you want me to like your battle theme, show me some creative drum work. :p

Listening to the soundtrack from CSII (which I HIGHLY ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO if you haven't beaten this game), it appears that CSI has better battle themes.

Not that A Heated Mind or Bring Up Trust are bad, because they're amazing. It just seems like they're a lot more "sweeping" or "dramatic" than the upbeat CSI tracks.

Pretty sure a lot of music from the first game is in the second one.

Dio

Banned

You're only hearing the 'new' stuff in the OST. Like was said above, there are reused tracks from CSI in II. That's why II's OST is 2 discs and I's is 4 discs.

Dio

Banned
Cold Steel II's dubbing is now completely finished and over as of today.

Translation: 100% done
Editing: 67% done

XSEED facebook said:
We only have one have more day of Trails of Cold Steel II English voice recording left! Twenty days of sitting in front of a recording booth, listening intently to new and returning voices... It's a lot of fun, and I hope you love the new cast. Our last voice will be Toval Randonneur of the Bracer Guild (yes, he is finally voiced!). I'm excited!
I'm also happy to announce that our entire Trails of Cold Steel cast has returned for Trails of Cold Steel II, so if you have a particular soft spot for any of the voices, don't you worry--you'll be hearing them again when CSII launches this fall.
One voice that DOES differ in the overall series is Bleublanc! You may remember everyone's favorite fop having a few battle lines in Trails in the Sky SC, but alas, recording a few battle lines for a character six or so years back does not guarantee that same actor will return. Still, I think you'll like his new voice quite a bit. He's simply...beautiful!
Hopefully, we'll have more fun updates to share with you soon. Thanks for supporting the Trails series!

I want to play another JRPG on my Vita and I'm on the fence about playing this or Oreshika. I finished Bravely Second yesterday and I absolutely loved the mechanics and the combat in general. Turn based combat was always my favorite and it was implemented almost perfectly in that game imho. I saw both Oreshika and Trails of Cold Steel offers also enjoyable turn-based fights.

Both games have interesting settings, but what about the gameplay? I really enjoy grinding, leveling up my characters and teaching them new skills and stuff. In this regard, what would you recommend me more?

Also, how much dialogue has this game? I tried Trails in the Sky for an hour once, but it was way to chatty for my taste. Is Cold Steel similar?

aravuus

Also, how much dialogue has this game? I tried Trails in the Sky for an hour once, but it was way to chatty for my taste. Is Cold Steel similar?

Yes. Lots and lots and lots and lots of talking.

I do talk to every NPC every day and after every event, though, but that's just cause their dialogue is usually fun.

I want to play another JRPG on my Vita and I'm on the fence about playing this or Oreshika. I finished Bravely Second yesterday and I absolutely loved the mechanics and the combat in general. Turn based combat was always my favorite and it was implemented almost perfectly in that game imho. I saw both Oreshika and Trails of Cold Steel offers also enjoyable turn-based fights.

Both games have interesting settings, but what about the gameplay? I really enjoy grinding, leveling up my characters and teaching them new skills and stuff. In this regard, what would you recommend me more?

From that I think you'll like Oreshika more. It's not a traditional JRPG though, it's more of a unorthodox dungeon crawler.

Overall I think Cold Steel is the much better game.

I do like dialogue, I played and enjoyed many visual novels. It's all about the writing and pacing. I just don't like filler (for dialogue; grinding is fine by me for some reason).

Thanks for the impressions.

Shahed

Yeah Trails probably may not suit you. Although I like learning new moves and abilities, I absolutely despise grinding and farming of any sort, or wasting time specifically levelling my characters. One of the reasons I like Trails is that it doesn't remotely require any of that. Nor do you get any benefit from it since once you go above the level you're supposed to be, you get little to no exp afterwards. Also it's extremely dialogue heavy. If you don't like cutscenes or talking, then this probably isn't for you.

Having said that I am planning to start Oreshika soon after having bought it recently, so some opinions or thoughts would be nice!

I think Oreshika is a beautiful and super original game with tons of great ideas, but I just didn't have fun playing it. A lot of randomness combined with very strict time limits were just too much for me. It's a shame :(

Shahed

I think Oreshika is a beautiful and super original game with tons of great ideas, but I just didn't have fun playing it. A lot of randomness combined with very strict time limits were just too much for me. It's a shame :(
Time limits :(

It was on sale at some point for ~£8 so I just bought it on impulse planning to get around it at some point. I'm usually pretty open minded about trying different things but the one thing that consistently hampers my enjoyment of certain games is time limits. I'll still play it at some point but I guess it drops down my backlog ladder for now.

Time limits :(

It was on sale at some point for ~£8 so I just bought it on impulse planning to get around it at some point. I'm usually pretty open minded about trying different things but the one thing that consistently hampers my enjoyment of certain games is time limits. I'll still play it at some point but I guess it drops down my backlog ladder for now.
Try it at least. It looks so good and has so much potential, but the time limits are harsh.

I'm happy that I paid 20€ for it because it's so unique, but it's just not for me. Maybe it clicks with you, who knows

I do like dialogue, I played and enjoyed many visual novels. It's all about the writing and pacing. I just don't like filler (for dialogue; grinding is fine by me for some reason).

Dont worry too much; outside of the prologue, its conversation full of value. I wouldnt like it otherwise.

Famassu

These games only have as much filler as one forces himself to go through. Very little of the mandatory dialogue is filler, most of the time it serves some purpose, be it character development, world-building, character introductions, exposition, giving NPCs some personality/relevancy, bonding between characters or even just humor. It is somewhat wordy, yeah, but it's still generally better quality writing than most other JRPG writing, especially once you get past the tropeish & slow beginning. Not that the stories ever start going at lights speed, but things start picking up after a couple of chapters.

Cold Steel does sometimes have a bit of a problem with characters just chiming in for the sake of chiming in and being all "hey, I'm here too!", but it's not too excessive (mostly only when EVERYONE is around, less so during field studies when you've only got a few people in your team) and that's rarely a problem in Trails in the Sky.

I think you should really give a proper chance to both of these games. They take quite long to get going, but once they do, everything can just kind of click at one point or the other and you'll get hooked. Playing an hour of Trails in the Sky doesn't give a good impression of the heights the characters & story will rise to during the journey. That's when everything is still relatively sunny & happy happy joy joy. Stick with it and you'll get to one of the better written JRPGs in ages. It's not that the beginning is horribly written, but the tone is just so saturday cartoony that some people understandably don't feel like sticking with the game since they don't know how much the story, characters, dialogue & everything changes & improves from that.

Case after case it's been shown that people who feel iffy about these games after the initial few hours will more often than not fall in love with these games if they just don't give up and push through the slow beginning (except Muntu, he has an irrational hate of TitS), though at which point people will get hooked can vary. For some it happens earlier, some need to get to the most exciting final chapter(s) before they start seeing the error of their ways. :p

Question:
Does it matter what "line" I put my Quartz in? Or how I group my Quartz together?

In Trails in the Sky it mattered a lot since depending on how the Quartz were grouped together you'd get different arts.

But I don't see any difference in Cold Steel. Does it matter? And if not, why do they even call out different "lines" in cold steel?

bomblord1

Banned
Question:
Does it matter what "line" I put my Quartz in? Or how I group my Quartz together?

In Trails in the Sky it mattered a lot since depending on how the Quartz were grouped together you'd get different arts.

But I don't see any difference in Cold Steel. Does it matter? And if not, why do they even call out different "lines" in cold steel?

I finished the game and never noticed any difference from the quartz order. I also could just have completely missed it though.

Only thing is you can't have the same quartz in the same row I believe.

Nyoro SF

Question:

Character with multiple lines in Steel have a big advantage over those who don't. For the most part, multi-line quartz are cheaper to unlock for use. Also, you can stick multiple of the same type of quartz in different lines as opposed to single-line characters.

For example with Laura you can stack Attack 3, Attack 2 and Attack 1 on her if you really wish to. With Machias, you can stack multiple status effect quartz like Freeze, Petrify, Stun on different lines. Single line characters can't do this, they're restricted to one per "type". Types being "buffs", "debuffs", "art (specific)". So you can't stack Cast 3 and Cast 2 on Emma for instance.

They attempted to restrict Emma's power by making her a single-line quartz user, but it really doesn't work. :p

With Fie you can do something like Evade 2, Evade 1, Action 3, Action 2 because of her setup.

Shahed

Question:

Depends. Not in the same way in Sky but it can affect being able to equip certain quartz. For example you can get a quartz that increases strength + 20 and also lowers the enemies defence. There similar ones with the same strength boost but instead lower magic, speed or something else. You can only equip one of those per 'line' so they need to be separated out. Hence Emma or Elliot will only be able to equip the one while the likes of Rean, Laura and others be allowed 3 or 4 depending on the number of lines.

Having Qilin, Youkai Gem and Rakshahsa all on the same character is nice :)

Top Bottom