• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

jbluzb

Yeah the whole Laura/Fie conflict was a whole lot of nothing and their duel even lamer

what a let down

I could write a better setup for them to clash in my head in five minutes

I'm on the opposite, I enjoyed the laura/fie conflict! The bonds were something I always look forward to in trails of cold steel.

For me, Gaius is that one that is underdeveloped as a character.

Soriku

I'm like 110 hours in or so, can only imagine how much longer I'd have if they included Ymir and another final chapter, Jesus lol.

How does Cold Steel 2 compare length wise?

Had some time to put into this today and finally made it to chapter 3, the characters are growing on me.
And I'm seeing spoilers so I'm out.

Shin-chan

Man the chapter 6 end boss gave me a lot of grief. His S Craft one shotted half of my team from near full HP!

Think I will take a break for a day or two to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Odin Sphere before going back to finish it. I can't wait for 2 though. Is there a similar bump in quality going from 1-2 here as there is with Trails in the Sky?

Gu4n

I'm like 110 hours in or so, can only imagine how much longer I'd have if they included Ymir and another final chapter, Jesus lol.

How does Cold Steel 2 compare length wise?
That really depends on your play style. For me, Cold Steel 2 was only a handful of hours shorter than 1; for others much longer.

Think I will take a break for a day or two to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Odin Sphere before going back to finish it. I can't wait for 2 though. Is there a similar bump in quality going from 1-2 here as there is with Trails in the Sky?
Hard to say. Like with Trails in the Sky where some prefer FC over SC and vice versa, in this case, too, some prefer CS1 over CS2. I personally like CS2 better because more stuff happens; the translator of these games, for example, prefers CS1 because there are more meaningful dialogues between the characters.

Soriku

Man the chapter 6 end boss gave me a lot of grief. His S Craft one shotted half of my team from near full HP!

He one shotted my ENTIRE team after I nearly had him. This was also the second time he used his S break in the fight. Fml. I got him good the next time though, and he only used S break once.

Shin-chan

He one shotted my ENTIRE team after I nearly had him. This was also the second time he used his S break in the fight. Fml. I got him good the next time though, and he only used S break once.
Yeah one time I had him in his last 10K and the bastard managed to faint or kill all of my party with his robot and then wiped me. I was livid.

Is that the hardest boss in the game?

Edit: actually the chapter 5 schoolhouse boss might have been slightly worse.

I'm on the opposite, I enjoyed the laura/fie conflict! The bonds were something I always look forward to in trails of cold steel.

For me, Gaius is that one that is underdeveloped as a character.

HIs complete backstory and motivations were completely laid out and clear

He's just a complete character with nothing much left to offer the party dynamic because he had no logical reason to clash with any of the characters

I thought he was great and soulful but he wasnt given anything to do

So my copy of the Vita Lionheart edition arrived on Friday:
Of8v07f.jpg

I'll be playing this while recovering from surgery. Having fun so far, but none of the party members have made a good first impression on me. (Alisa is just, ugh) I'm glad I listened to someone's advice to starton Hard, because the crafts you have access to from the start are really broken.

preta

So my copy of the Vita Lionheart edition arrived on Friday:
Of8v07f.jpg

I'll be playing this while recovering from surgery. Having fun so far, but none of the party members have made a good first impression on me. (Alisa is just, ugh) I'm glad I listened to someone's advice to starton Hard, because the crafts you have access to from the start are really broken.

The cast, including Alisa, dramatically improve and become less trope-y over time. Just keep at it.

Soriku

Once I got to the part of Crossbell's referendum the whole Brexit thing happened. It's not the same situation, but it's weird and there's probably a few parallels.

Also that ending was very abrupt. I like how they introduced
mechs
. Bring on Cold Steel 2.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - PlayStation Vita"
Estimated arrival date: September 06, 2016
I'm ready

I seem to always be short on cash.
What's the best way to get the materials to upgrade weapons?
I'm in chapter 3 and haven't bought any master quartz yet, I'm guessing I should've?
These things seem to take a long time to level up.

Soriku

I seem to always be short on cash.
What's the best way to get the materials to upgrade weapons?
I'm in chapter 3 and haven't bought any master quartz yet, I'm guessing I should've?
These things seem to take a long time to level up.

Cash: Do the Elliot cash trick. Buy a lot of eggs + rock salt and make Omelets with Elliot and Rean and sell them. You can sell the dishes you make for profit.

Materials: Just kill more enemies. Some enemies drop U Materials.

MQ: I never really bothered to buy any; not that necessary and I preferred spending my money on weapons + armor.

Nyoro SF

Never grinded once for cash in the game and only lost my first battle in chapter 5.
If a scrub like me can do that then you shouldn't have to do anything extra in the game.
The game keeps handing you more and more firepower as you go on anyway.

On another topic, I looked at the list of guests for Anime Expo but I didn't see any voice actors/actresses for Cold Steel. Too bad.

Ultimadrago

Cash: Do the Elliot cash trick. Buy a lot of eggs + rock salt and make Omelets with Elliot and Rean and sell them. You can sell the dishes you make for profit.

MQ: I never really bothered to buy any; not that necessary and I preferred spending my money on weapons + armor.

On that last note, I wish various Master Quartz were more useful. Even up to end game, I hardly found a reason to switch them at all and moreso just did it to change things up. Most of the default ones are more than enough for Normal difficulty. A couple of the better ones come too late in the game to be of any long-lasting use anyways without finishing their grind to Max.

Squire

Banned
I'm playing on Normal myself and kind of regret buying Moebius. Super expensive and I don't really have all that much reason to use it. Now I can't buy as much equipment as I would've been able to.

I see, thanks.

Never grinded once for cash in the game and only lost my first battle in chapter 5.
If a scrub like me can do that then you shouldn't have to do anything extra in the game.
The game keeps handing you more and more firepower as you go on anyway.

On another topic, I looked at the list of guests for Anime Expo but I didn't see any voice actors/actresses for Cold Steel. Too bad.

Not saying I grinded but I've been killing pretty much all enemies I come across and doing all the sidequests and when I buy equipment I'm completely broke and don't have enough money left for master quartz.
Also, I'm not complaining about the difficulty, just that money seems tighter than in most jrpgs.

Soriku

Shit, looking at a few Cold Steel II videos, I need this game now.

Also does anyone know what the new Overdrive ability in that game does?

Quick random questions: does it have a good story and is there any airship level in this? Kind of a sucker for those. Really thinking about picking this up.

Quick random questions: does it have a good story and is there any airship level in this? Kind of a sucker for those. Really thinking about picking this up.

The story is the #1 draw of the series. What do you mean by "airship level"? Airships certainly do exist in the Trails universe (Trails in the Sky is basically all about airships)

Yeah i think his S-Craft is aimed in a line, so if all your teammates are close to each other or are in a straight line from each other, you're gonna get fucked. One of the few fights where character placement is actually meaningful.

Squire

Banned
Austin Walker brought me here; I enjoy Persona, Tails and Final Fantasy. I should also enjoy this right?

Yeah, I love Persona and FF, and I'm really enjoying this. Good to know Austin is into this game, too! Where/when did he mention it?

Corpekata

Banned
The story is good but the series is notably slow so expect to invest some time before things get interesting.

I think Trails in the Sky is the better game (battle system aside, but this isn't a series I play for mechanics) personally, with a better cast, but Cold Steel isn't a shabby starting point either.

Nictel

Yeah, I love Persona and FF, and I'm really enjoying this. Good to know Austin is into this game, too! Where/when did he mention it?

The last Beastcast (E.57). He is into it directly but it got mentioned in the games being released this year. He said the game had a strong following but unfortunately not having the time to play these games.

aravuus

Austin Walker brought me here; I enjoy Persona, Tails and Final Fantasy. I should also enjoy this right?

Probably. Just keep in mind that the story is much more grounded than what you usually get in the games you listed and, like Corpekata mentioned, muuuuuuuch much slower.

preta

It starts out slower, but when it gets going, it really gets going. None of that slow buildup is wasted though - it's largely used for worldbuilding and character development, which are two of this series' great strengths.

Since all of the games in this series are tightly connected, unlike in Persona, Tales or Final Fantasy, I would highly recommend starting with the first game, Trails in the Sky. After that, play Trails in the Sky SC, then this game, then Cold Steel 2 when it comes out. I would also suggest not viewing any trailers or other promotional material for games past where you're at.

While you won't necessarily be lost with regard to CS1's story if you start with it, a LOT of subtext will go over your head, you won't understand the implications of some things, and some plot twists from past games will be spoiled. CS2 will be less kind with regard to this sort of thing.

Gu4n

Shit, looking at a few Cold Steel II videos, I need this game now.

Also does anyone know what the new Overdrive ability in that game does?
You and the partner you engage in Overdrive with hijack three turns, during which attack damage is slightly increased and arts can be cast that same turn. Your HP, EP and CP also get slightly restored at the beginning over Overdrive. It's similar to Burst in Ao no Kiseki.

Eylos

Banned
this game is awesome, really enjoying it, and its huge

the others "legend of heroes" games are in the same world and are also good?

i see a lot of background history about that lionheart emperor, is that a story of a previous game?

If P5 didn't actually exist, I'd be happy if this was Persona 5 (though needs more demons).

Classic JRPGing in terms of pace and storytelling, relatively modern mechanics otherwise. Just finished on Friday, can't wait til the sequel.

Thanks for all of the help everyone! Only problem is that I would be playing on the Vita so I'm not sure that Trails of the Sky is available as I only see it available for Japan. I guess I might just begin with Cold Steel and hope that I'm not too lost lol.

Edit: Never mind just found both of them lol.

Eylos

Banned
Thanks for all of the help everyone! Only problem is that I would be playing on the Vita so I'm not sure that Trails of the Sky is available as I only see it available for Japan. I guess I might just begin with Cold Steel and hope that I'm not too lost lol.

its available on playstation store

Edit: Never mind just found both of them lol.

Hopefully assuming you enjoy the first two games, the third chapter will be exclusive to PC as a heads up. Luckily it's not really required to play as a complete story since its more of an epilogue to the first two games which feature the complete story of Trails in the Sky.

This game is awesome for letting me read the "reprint" of Carnelia. I missed half of the volumes during my FC playthrough.

And let me say once again that the crafts that Class VII have access to are insane.

Gu4n

this game is awesome, really enjoying it, and its huge

the others "legend of heroes" games are in the same world and are also good?

i see a lot of background history about that lionheart emperor, is that a story of a previous game?
The other two The Legend of Heroes that have been released on Steam, Trails in the Sky, take place respectively two and one year before Cold Steel in the kingdom south of Erebonia. I personally liked those better than Cold Steel.

The story around Emperor Dreichels is a background story for the setting and will become increasingly important.

Eylos

Banned
just saw this:

[XSEED XSTREAM POST-E3 SHOW TOMORROW AT 3PM PST]
www.twitch.tv/xseed_games

XSEED Games will be have a livestream tomorrow via Twitch for some of our E3 titles, including Trails of Cold Steel II! We'll be starting at 3PM, with Trails of Cold Steel II starting at around 4:30PM.

Watched the stream they showed the very beginning of the prologue as well as a tiny bit of the
courageous
. They also answered a lot of questions in regards to the CS2 release date they said they wouldn't even give the month until they were sure they could meet it and they talked about the Keseki 'curse' as they called it (from SC XD) which is why they don't want to jinx it. They did confirm any date listed for CS2 right now is just a placeholder.

If anyone is interested in watching it they said they would put it up on youtube although there are massive spoilers if you haven't finished CS1 yet.

I need CS2 in my veins.

Watched the stream they showed the very beginning of the prologue as well as a tiny bit of the
courageous
. They also answered a lot of questions in regards to the CS2 release date they said they wouldn't even give the month until they were sure they could meet it and they talked about the Keseki 'curse' as they called it (from SC XD) which is why they don't want to jinx it. They did confirm any date listed for CS2 right now is just a placeholder.

If anyone is interested in watching it they said they would put it up on youtube although there are massive spoilers if you haven't finished CS1 yet.

I need CS2 in my veins.

YOu can still watch it in the twitch archive , the CS2 part , it starts at 2h16m in the video

shoudl i post the link ? it IS full of CS1 spoilers

Top Bottom