• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Shahed

I kinda started FC but I'm still in the prologue >.> got distracted by other newer games coming out all at once.

I'm in a mine place I think. Or something like that

Once I've finished some of my backlog and probably after CSII is out, I'll see if I can fit it in some place along with SC. Hopefully before the 3rd comes out.

Heh, I loved it enough that I had no issue replaying it. Only bit I dreaded was the big open area and that was only on my 2nd/3rd playthroughs. (first time was okay, it was an unknown and stuff but it's a slog on later playthroughs even though the music is nice and stuff :) )

I also sat through the stuff (major end-game spoilers for Cold Steel 1)
near the end each time without skipping the dialogue. Loved those scenes with Crow being found out while everyone is in the classroom and then the scenes with the teachers and Sharon. <3 couldn't skip them, they were too good to watch. - especially Sharon. Sharon FTW

Hopefully you can find the time to play the Sky games. If you do and you play CS again you'll see some things in a new light, so it'll be worth it. I kind of want to play CS again as well, but I'm going to wait till I play Sky 3rd before I do for the same reasons.

Ultimadrago

Just like CS1, you can't platinum the game without a run of NG+. CS2, specifically, has another major quest, at least, that's only available in NG+.

*sigh* So stupid. Is it a good quest?

The 3rd adds so much flavour to every other game, itself included. I recommend playing Cold Steel II on release date, The 3rd on release date, and then Cold Steel II NG+. You know why when you do.

Hm, interesting.

Squire

Banned
CS1 is my first Trails game. I should try to play FC and SC before CS2? If so, how long are those? I actually already bought FC ages ago.

omgfloofy

Banned
The most rewarding one in the series.

There are no words to describe my reaction to the end result of the quest. Well, this works:

2XRRAJY.gif

omgfloofy

Banned
It's throughout the game and if you successfully complete it, you'll be rewarded in the final chapter.

I'm randomly repeating Guan's statement that it's easily one of the most rewarding rewards you get in the series. On top of the mind blown gif I added into that.

I'd say that the reward is worth every bit for it. It's not a little thing that the game gives you. Though if it's not series lore you're looking for, it may not be of interest.

Leave it to Kiseki to be one of the few series that knows it can reward you with lore. And before anyone says anything else about that- this is something Kiseki has been doing since SC. You beat a seemingly impossible boss fight? You get a huge piece of lore here. You opt to not skip this item? Huge piece of lore there. etc etc

The only difference is whereas the other rewards are hints, this is straight up an 'OKAY. WE'LL ACTUALLY TELL YOU ABOUT THIS BIG THING' moment. A very rare occurrence in the series.

Hobbun

I'm randomly repeating Guan's statement that it's easily one of the most rewarding rewards you get in the series. On top of the mind blown gif I added into that.

I'd say that the reward is worth every bit for it. It's not a little thing that the game gives you. Though if it's not series lore you're looking for, it may not be of interest.

Leave it to Kiseki to be one of the few series that knows it can reward you with lore. And before anyone says anything else about that- this is something Kiseki has been doing since SC. You beat a seemingly impossible boss fight? You get a huge piece of lore here. You opt to not skip this item? Huge piece of lore there. etc etc

The only difference is whereas the other rewards are hints, this is straight up an 'OKAY. WE'LL ACTUALLY TELL YOU ABOUT THIS BIG THING' moment. A very rare occurrence in the series.

Could you at least say, without giving the lore away, which games you have needed to play to take benefit of the lore? If I decide to do this quest (play through the game again), I will only have played FC and SC before I play CS I. Maybe the 3rd, as well.

I don't want to play through CS I twice, only to realize the lore was in reference to a game I haven't played in the series.

Goddamn it

Fucking ng+ exclusive quests

Kind of how I feel. I just don't have time for this kind of stuff.

preta

Could you at least say, without giving the lore away, which games you have needed to play to take benefit of the lore? If I decide to do this quest (play through the game again), I will only have played FC and SC before I play CS I. Maybe the 3rd, as well.

I don't want to play through CS I twice, only to realize the lore was in reference to a game I haven't played in the series.

Kind of how I feel. I just don't have time for this kind of stuff.

Judging from Gu4n's answer to my question earlier, 3rd will be necessary. I don't know if Zero or Ao will be as well, but it's likely. Also, this is in CS2, not CS1.

Gu4n

Aw man. Is the New Game+ transfer system (as in what you can carryover from the completed gamesave) the same as with Cold Steel 1?
It's the same system, yep.

Only The 3rd; I don't think this quest benefits from Zero/Ao in particular.

Edit: Ninja'd by a squire. Mugugu.

aravuus

Alright, at least I won't be particularly tempted to do the NG+ run right away if 3rd is necessary reading to get everything (anything?) out of the quest. Probably gonna play CS2 normally when it comes out, wait for 3rd and finish it and then do the NG+ quest thingie.

By then someone's got to have made a bruteforce save game editing guide or something so I can just make everyone level 99 and blaze through the game lol

Gu4n

By then someone's got to have made a bruteforce save game editing guide or something so I can just make everyone level 99 and blaze through the game lol

Level 99?

wR2Peyd.jpg

But seriously, finishing the game once is enough to blaze through the game on Nightmare NG+. I mean, you only not one-shot bosses if you choose to.

aravuus

Level 99?

wR2Peyd.jpg

But seriously, finishing the game once is enough to blaze through the game on Nightmare NG+. I mean, you only not one-shot bosses if you choose to.

Oh shit

But yeah alright, fair enough. I did figure that might be the case, too. Difficulty level doesn't affect the quest though, does it?

Gu4n

Oh shit

But yeah alright, fair enough. I did figure that might be the case, too. Difficulty level doesn't affect the quest though, does it?
No, it doesn't. It, obviously, does affect the NG+ exclusive, optional boss fight, but that fight can be cheesed.

Thoraxes

It helps when you only play one game at a time. Especially compared to people who play multiple RPG's at once!
I just played 6 hours a night every night after work. I binged on weekends if I didn't go out with friends or had errands to run.

Took me a few weeks, and it was well worth it.

I'm going to do my 4th playthrough of CS a month before CS2, and another of FC/SC before 3rd. All no cutscene skipping!

Shahed

I just played 6 hours a night every night after work. I binged on weekends if I didn't go out with friends or had errands to run.

Took me a few weeks, and it was well worth it.

I'm going to do my 4th playthrough of CS a month before CS2, and another of FC/SC before 3rd. All no cutscene skipping!
I had some free time that coincided with the release of this game. So I played FC (2nd time), SC and then this game (including platinum) back to back in about a month and a half.

I've had no free time like that since. Hopefully will have again when 3rd comes out!

Thoraxes

I had some free time that coincided with the release of this game. So I played FC (2nd time), SC and then this game (including platinum) back to back in about a month and a half.

I've had no free time like that since. Hopefully will have again when 3rd comes out!
I've been banking some paid time off and I'm just waiting for XSEED to tell me when I'm taking a full week off of work, lol. I'll likely do it for both of the games (CS2 AND Third), because I really really want to just sit down and play through it consistently, and do a platinum run sometime too for CS2 (already have the one for CS).

I didn't plan for it on CS, but I'm glad I have the foresight now to plan ahead, heh.

Earlier this year I was pretty much in the same boat as you with playing through the three games too. Easily the best month and a half of gaming I've done.

DragonElm

Neo Member
I'm about 108 hours in, mid-Chapter 6. The end is close, what am I going to do after I'm done with this game? It took me 6 months, slow progression much to my friend's chagrin, but enjoying it all, getting my money's worth.

I'm so glad my friend made me buy this game day one, it's my second ever jrpg (first being P4G - duh), I've developed quite a tolerance for some of the cheesiness (sometimes adorable, sometimes my eyes roll into the back of my brain) that accompanies translated/localised games. But its those little things that are starting to charm the pants off of me, specially the rich detailed world and characters.

I've finally gotten FC to work on my Mac, would've preferred vita, will play mostly for the story. Planning my second -and hopefully platinum- playthrough of CS a few weeks before CSII drops. Can't wait!!

Zephyx

Chapter 6:

Can't beat C right now. He wrecks me with his s-craft as he one-shots my party. I'm thinking about redoing my quartz setup but I'll have to beat V again. What a pain. Any tips? Difficulty is hard.

Erheller

I just started a replay of this game. Time to talk to all the NPC's again!

[Dear god, there's a lot of booze in Sara's room

Chapter 6:

Can't beat C right now. He wrecks me with his s-craft as he one-shots my party. I'm thinking about redoing my quartz setup but I'll have to beat V again. What a pain. Any tips? Difficulty is hard.

I'll try this when I get home. Only issue I have is my Moebius quartz is only lvl. 4 so I don't have AoE item usage yet.

Can't you pretty easily
stun lock C with Angelica's one inch punch craft?

It seemed to work pretty consistently on him even on nightmare.

Chapter 6:

Alisa and Seraphic Ring is a good choice. Her auto revive ability and that really helped me out.

Saphirax

I did all of that plus talking to every NPC and every opportunity and my first playthrough was ~55 hours. I had to idle for ~15 hours for the 100 hour trophy.

I'm afraid that I'll probably have to do the same. I'm taking my time with the second playthrough, but still...

And I have the Vita version to boot.

Gu4n

OH, WTF...

Anyone have any tips for the
Golem battle
in Chapter 3? This stupid thing takes like no damage....
Since inflicting ailments on it seems to be difficult, boost your own ATS, lower its ADF (if possible) and cast Wind-based spells. If you get hit a lot yourself, make sure your party got Shining cast on them. If you have the temporary party member with you, make use of that S-Craft in general.

I'm afraid that I'll probably have to do the same. I'm taking my time with the second playthrough, but still...

And I have the Vita version to boot.
It took me 95 hours on the Vita version and didn't talk to all NPC's.

Korigama

It took me 95 hours on the Vita version and didn't talk to all NPC's.
Okay, this is more in line with what I would expect. 55 hours did sound unusually fast for this game with everything I listed minus talking to every NPC accounted for (not saying that I don't believe it could be done, more like I wouldn't have any idea how it could be without skipping animations and/or rushing dialogue when possible).

I also forgot to add to that list that I made use of all bonding points when offered, and have found and opened every treasure chest so far as well (currently at the beginning of Chapter 5 now). Additionally, I occasionally spend more time getting into battles between breaking containers repeatedly for random drops, sometimes putting an extra hour or more into fighting for the sake of bonus experience and Sepith Mass (and sometimes just for the fun of it). Only recently have I maxed out a Master Quartz to Lv. 5, that being Rean's starting one (took Tauros to Lv. 4 after maxing Force, but am using Moebius now).

Eylos

Banned
in the Xseed facebook page of trails series

"Good morning, all! It's been a little quiet this past month on this page, but not to worry! It's because we've been focusing harder than ever during the QA stage of Trails of Cold Steel II. Still hard at work, too! Hopefully we'll have more to share in the coming weeks."
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrail...827481439/1478164562208952/?type=3&permPage=1

So if they are in the QA stage the release date must be close

Cornbread78

Millium
consistently puts it off balance

Since inflicting ailments on it seems to be difficult, boost your own ATS, lower its ADF (if possible) and cast Wind-based spells. If you get hit a lot yourself, make sure your party got Shining cast on them. If you have the temporary party member with you, make use of that S-Craft in general.

The computer must have the best luck in the history of gaming in this game, or my copy of friggen' cursed. I never get the stagger, never get the Impede to work, never get "missed" and always get hammered with his best attack possible.... IT's so maddening to absolutely destroy everything on a world map, just to get to a boss that you can't beat after several tries... I have the worst luck ever, lol.

Chapter 6:

C's S-scraft attacks in a single line from his position. Dont group your teammates too close to each other or in a straight line from where C is, even if that means using your turns to properly position yourself (unless its like right after he uses his S-Craft).

in the Xseed facebook page of cold steel

"Good morning, all! It's been a little quiet this past month on this page, but not to worry! It's because we've been focusing harder than ever during the QA stage of Trails of Cold Steel II. Still hard at work, too! Hopefully we'll have more to share in the coming weeks."
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrail...827481439/1478164562208952/?type=3&permPage=1

So if they are in the QA stage the release date must be close

They've been in the QA stage for several months at this point, so it's only a matter of time before they announce the date. We're moving closer and closer to the current placeholder date and not a single retailer has changed their date, which means we're likely to hear something in the next week or 2 if that date remains. We also know the EU date so clearly something is locked down for the US as well.

Megauap

Just started Chapter 6, I'm in the
Old Schoolhouse Floor 6
. I have a feeling that
Celine will reveal it's true identity after I defeat the boss.
Really looking forward to the next Field Study. I have already played about 88h but I don't want this game to end :(

jschreier

They've been in the QA stage for several months at this point, so it's only a matter of time before they announce the date. We're moving closer and closer to the current placeholder date and not a single retailer has changed their date, which means we're likely to hear something in the next week or 2 if that date remains. We also know the EU date so clearly something is locked down for the US as well.
At E3 I suggested that they try to get it out as far before FFXV as possible. I think they agreed!

Top Bottom