• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

matmanx1

Well, after a very long hiatus in which I didn't play this game at all, I got the itch to pick it back up this weekend. I'm ashamed to say that all I had done was finish the Prologue and start my first Free Day at school but as of today I have finished my first Old School House investigation and done a couple of bond moments as well as fishing every where that I could find.

Honestly, the link system in battle is the bees knees and I like fishing far more than I thought I would. I am suddenly wanting to find out a lot more about this game and it's soon to be sequel.

in the Xseed facebook page of trails series

"Good morning, all! It's been a little quiet this past month on this page, but not to worry! It's because we've been focusing harder than ever during the QA stage of Trails of Cold Steel II. Still hard at work, too! Hopefully we'll have more to share in the coming weeks."
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrail...827481439/1478164562208952/?type=3&permPage=1

So if they are in the QA stage the release date must be close

It is absolute torture not knowing the release date but does seem like it'll likely be near the placeholder date so thats good.

Man IDK how you guys waited so long for SC glad I didn't get into this series at FC I would have lost my damn mind waiting so long for SC just these past 7 months have been so difficult to wait.

It is absolute torture not knowing the release date but does seem like it'll likely be near the placeholder date so thats good.

Man IDK how you guys waited so long for SC glad I didn't get into this series at FC I would have lost my damn mind waiting so long for SC just these past 7 months have been so difficult to wait.

I still haven't recovered tbh.

It was pretty tragic.

Gu4n

That isn't going to make the three year wait for Cold Steel III more bearable, I'm afraid...

Only. Fourteen. More. Months. Till. Sen III.

Cornbread78

Finally beat that chapter 3 monster mission on day 3, but Gaius was down, so he didn't get any XP for him... Oh well, a small sacrifice for finally beating that stupid thing. That fight wouldn't have been that bad of he hadn't kept getting double turns towards the end and killing multiple characters...

Finally beat that chapter 3 monster mission on day 3, but Gaius was down, so he didn't get any XP for him... Oh well, a small sacrifice for finally beating that stupid thing. That fight wouldn't have been that bad of he hadn't kept getting double turns toeards the end and killibg multiple characters...

Any character who don't come along with you during a chapter would get level-boosted, anyway. The only character whose XP you need to care about is Rean.

Korigama

Can you skip cutscenes/text in the 2nd playthrough?

Yes, just hold one of the buttons (I think circle?) and it skips through the text fast
That's one thing for me to keep in mind, but I was more curious as to the methodology that makes it possible to finish in only around 55 hours during a first run (considering just how huge this game is, I wouldn't even know how to manage that even without doing anything extra).

Elven_Star

Just finished the game. Loved the story, but really REALLY hated the assignments. Are they going to be in Cold Steel II as well?

Gu4n

You are Fortunate to know japanese, 30 months to play in english :((
Don't forget Sen no Kiseki II was released in September 2014, so once it releases, that has also been a three-year gap. That's the longest in the series since the gap from The 3rd to Zero (also 3 years). At least The 3rd provided some closure...

Just finished the game. Loved the story, but really REALLY hated the assignments. Are they going to be in Cold Steel II as well?
Congrats! The sidequests you mean? They'll be there, but far less. In fact, Cold Steel II has the least sidequests in the series so far.

Erheller

Before I forget, I have a question. In the final chapter, near the very end
when you have to leave the school through the front gate, can you return to the Old Schoolhouse to grind?

Gu4n

when you have to leave the school through the front gate, can you return to the Old Schoolhouse to grind?
I would be surprised if you couldn't (since the game clearly indicates it's the point of no return).

Yeah, chapter 6 was tough.

Do I have much longer until I'm done? Was
Comrade C the last fight
?
Hardly. You have another 10-15 hours to go.

Yu Narukami

It may be too soon to speculate but do you guys think CSIII will release in 3 years in the West? I hope it doesn't get delayed in Japan.

Gu4n

It may be too soon to speculate but do you guys think CSIII will release in 3 years in the West? I hope it doesn't get delayed in Japan.
Kondo confirmed last month that the game will release in Summer/Autumn 2017 in Japan, which I interpret as September 27th, 2017. Falcom won't allow localisations partners to work on the game before the release, which means that at the very and highly improbable first moment XSEED can work on Cold Steel III will be October 2017. When Cold Steel was announced in the summer of 2015, they have been working on the game for 1,5 year already, meaning localisation started late 2013/early 2014. A similar cycle for the third game would mean they can start the localisation late 2017/early 2018, with Cold Steel III releasing at the end of 2019/early 2020.

Of course, I'm taking many variables for granted here, but it's historically accurate nonetheless.

These are massive games and I cannot emphasise enough how happy we should be that we're getting them at all in this outstanding quality.

Thoraxes

At E3 I suggested that they try to get it out as far before FFXV as possible. I think they agreed!

The sooner the better!

Though i'm literally dropping everything and cutting myself off from the outside world when it comes out to just binge.

Whenever they wanna release it, i'm ready and will be taking a vacation.

Eylos

Banned
Kondo confirmed last month that the game will release in Summer/Autumn 2017 in Japan, which I interpret as September 27th, 2017. Falcom won't allow localisations partners to work on the game before the release, which means that at the very and highly improbable first moment XSEED can work on Cold Steel III will be October 2017. When Cold Steel was announced in the summer of 2015, they have been working on the game for 1,5 year already, meaning localisation started late 2013/early 2014. A similar cycle for the third game would mean they can start the localisation late 2017/early 2018, with Cold Steel III releasing at the end of 2019/early 2020.

Of course, I'm taking many variables for granted here, but it's historically accurate nonetheless.

These are massive games and I cannot emphasise enough how happy we should be that we're getting them at all in this outstanding quality.

This is kinda sad, since end 2019 early 2020 probaly ps5 is launching

Yes you can. My favorite part of the final chapter is actually
Going around the school and seeing everyone get ready for battle one way or another. Hell even that one art Student who hasn't given a shit about anything the entire game realizes whats about tha happen the tension is so damn high its sooo good.

Stuart444

Yes you can. My favorite part of the final chapter is actually
Going around the school and seeing everyone get ready for battle one way or another. Hell even that one art Student who hasn't given a shit about anything the entire game realizes whats about tha happen the tension is so damn high its sooo good.

Yeah, the final chapter,
speaking to everyone is awesome. I also love the twins, with the non-jokey one that always gets pranked staying with and protecting her twin sister. Speaking to all the students before the final fight was one of the highlights for me honestly <3.

Cornbread78

Such a love/hate relationship with this game, I don't know if I can mentally take it anymore...

Such serious BS that ruins an otherwise realty good game.

Just got to the chapter 3 "boss" in the
quarry
fight my butt off to the very last CP and beat them, then,
they drop another boss out of the ceiling with no chance to heal or recover CP. Of course, they don't even give you a turn to heal and even the little spiders can hit multiple targets, so I get my party destroyed in 2 seconds because I have 0 turns or any CP left to try and fight back.
Difficulty aside that's just terrible game design and forces you to go back to your save and start from scratch and approach the
first battle in a completely different way so you can try again at the second battle
replaying the same $hit over and over again is time consuming and annoying...

/rant

sorry, this just goes in line with my love/hate relationship for this game...

Korigama

To be honest, I wouldn't have recommended going with Hard for a first run in this game. But then, that's pretty much how I view things for RPGs in general. I don't care much for the idea of making games that use RNG more difficult than they need to be if I don't have some sort of advantage to help balance it out. I tried out Normal first, pretty much what I do with all games I haven't played before when I have the option, especially franchises I'm unfamiliar with, and this is easily the best RPG I've played on PS3 so far.

The only real thing I've had trouble with so far has been the Old Schoolhouse in Chapter 5, where its boss
was literally the only enemy (IIRC) to actually make use of freeze status so far, quite effectively at that, something that I wasn't really prepared for and only had about two accessories to counter, which led to me having to essentially rage quit on the game (didn't bother letting it wipe me out for retries) and took me until my third try to actually kill

That said, I'll let other players with more experience with Trails than I do comment on the idea of jumping right into Hard rather than trying Normal first.

Cornbread78

To be honest, I wouldn't have recommended going with Hard for a first run in this game. But then, that's pretty much how I view things for RPGs in general. I don't care much for the idea of making games that use RNG more difficult than they needs to be if I don't have some sort of advantage to help balance it out. I tried out Normal first, pretty much what I do with all games I haven't played before when I have the option, especially franchises I'm unfamiliar with, and this is easily the best RPG I've played on PS3 so far.

That said, I'll let other players with more experience with Trails than I do comment on the idea of jumping right into Hard rather than trying Normal first.

I've always gone to "Hard" mode first for all games and never really had a problem with any of them at all; until this one that is... I'm not sure if it is that it is on "Hard" of just the BS way they execute it and how unforgiving it is. The worst part is that it only really rears it's ugly head during boss fights because everything else is very manageable. I really hate to be bitching all the time, but the cheapness of it all is so frustrating I want to smash my Vita........

The game is really good though... uugghh

zakujanai

It's published by Nisa over in the EU, which is why it's taking them longer to release over there. There was no way EU was seeing this game before 15 launches.

Oh I understand the reasons, it's actually probably because of XV that it's even further behind the US release than the first game was. It's the first couple of weeks seeing the OT pop up on here that are the worst, gets easier after that. Might even try to delay CS2 even further to play after 3rd given what Gu4n and Floofy have been saying about it.

IronLich

I just finished up the game Sunday night. What dragged the game out the hardest was the sidequests being mostly dull fetchquests. And it takes the game an eternity to get the plot moving, but it seemed to have switched from character driven narrative to story driven in a heartbeat, so that's a plus.

I really liked using Laura the most. Domination + Brave lvl5 + Brilliant Spin = Enemy Wipe. She's the one I got my ending with too, and the majority of the specific events were with her, so no regrets there. An absolute irreplaceable asset in combat.

Gu4n

I've always gone to "Hard" mode first for all games and never really had a problem with any of them at all; until this one that is... I'm not sure if it is that it is on "Hard" of just the BS way they execute it and how unforgiving it is. The worst part is that it only really rears it's ugly head during boss fights because everything else is very manageable. I really hate to be bitching all the time, but the cheapness of it all is so frustrating I want to smash my Vita........

The game is really good though... uugghh
Cold Steel and Cold Steel II are the easiest games in the series and I think their 'Hard' difficulty level is similar to 'Normal' in the earlier games because the new orbment system - ARCUS - is so easy to break. Why don't you share your orbment setups with us? I'm sure it's not just me who wants to help you out.

Cornbread78

Cold Steel and Cold Steel II are the easiest games in the series and I think their 'Hard' difficulty level is similar to 'Normal' in the earlier games because the new orbment system - ARCUS - is so easy to break. Why don't you share your orbment setups with us? I'm sure it's not just me who wants to help you out.

I will the next boss battle I get to. I finally beat that stupid thing after a few more tries.... so frustrating at times, lol. I have to be doing something wrong, but I hate how they randomly give the bosses the upper-hand with double moves and/or stat bonuses that you can't impede upon when needed.

Wait, I did EVERYTHING and it only gave me an A rank, What the....

Saphirax

I will the next boss battle I get to. I finally beat that stupid thing after a few more tries.... so frustrating at times, lol. I have to be doing something wrong, but I hate how they randomly give the bosses the upper-hand with double moves and/or stat bonuses that you can't impede upon when needed.

Wait, I did EVERYTHING and it only gave me an A rank, What the....

You forgot something :p. You need 72 AP in ch 3 for S rank.

Saphirax

I has 71 I think....

Does that lock out a trophy or something? I have no idea what I could have missed when I was following the guide to a T.

Nah, you have some leeway for the A0 rank so you'll be fine. The 1 AP you missed is probably from the practical exam:

Conditions:

No one is knocked out during the battle (AP +1)
No one uses arts throughout the battle (AP +1)

Cornbread78

Nah, you have some leeway for the A0 rank so you'll be fine. The 1 AP you missed is probably from the practical exam:

Conditions:

No one is knocked out during the battle (AP +1)
No one uses arts throughout the battle (AP +1)

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I only used Crafts for that battle, since I rarely use Arts unless backed in a corner or they are needed.

Saphirax

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I only used Crafts for that battle, since I rarely use Arts unless backed in a corner or they are needed.

Could also be from one of the sidequests that grant you additional AP if you do everything correctly. I'm not sure if you need to do everything right to get the AP or if you can make a single mistake and just get 1 AP instead of 2.

Squire

Banned
Hardly. You have another 10-15 hours to go.

So then
is the schoolhouse on the night before their festival performance not the final dungeon either
?

Edit: More specifically I mean
is the boss at the end of this the final boss
? I'm midway through, pretty sure.

Gu4n

So then
is the schoolhouse on the night before their festival performance not the final dungeon either
?

Question 1: yes, it is.

Question 2: yes and no.

Instead of worrying what is final, sit back and enjoy the ride. Don't forget to fasten your seatbelt.

Bladenic

I still need to finish my Platinum run already. Was in Chapter 5 of the second playthrough. I hope I can do it before the sequel releases.

So then
?

It's the final dungeon, but you have a couple of remaining fights after the dungeon is over (and a good three hours of game play).

Korigama

Hm, never got a final grade of S for any chapter before Chapter 5, and I was fairly certain that I did everything in the other ones, and I know that I met the conditions for every practical exam. Well, whatever, don't see much point in dwelling on it before NG+.

Rather pleased that it's impossible to complete every profile on a single playthrough, as I did manage to miss the first entry for Sharon somewhere anyway (I have some idea on where that could've been, but again, not going to worry about it right now).

Eylos

Banned
Hm, never got a final grade of S for any chapter before Chapter 5, and I was fairly certain that I did everything in the other ones, and I know that I met the conditions for every practical exam. Well, whatever, don't see much point in dwelling on it before NG+.

Rather pleased that it's impossible to complete every profile on a single playthrough, as I did manage to miss the first entry for Sharon somewhere (I have some idea on where that could've been, but again, not going to worry about it right now).

hidden quests?

Yu Narukami

So uhm, I was looking at the trophy icon from the game and was wondering if that picture isn't somehow a spoiler. I'm in Chapter 3 and don't know the context but I hope it isn't what I'm thinking.

Top Bottom