• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

Then Gaius is indeed someone special. I think he's also hiding something since he has more insight than most of your party members on the supernatural events you're encountering. Hopefully, it will be expanded later this game or in the next game.

I think I played SC until Chapter 5 (though I know the basic plot until the end) then jumped into CS since I can only play CS for a limited time. Can you specify which chapter will I be able to make that connection?
You're goood. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Cold Steel III to get, though.

The bit in SC is brought up at the very end, right before the final boss.

Is there anyone in particular I should equip with Megalith?

It's more of a utility quartz than one you assign to a member permanently in my experience

If there's someone you want to level keep it on them in battle, otherwise I just shifted it around my team to recover resources on the field before re-equipping them with something else

Squire

Banned
Fie's bond event for chapter 6 is so sweet and well done. Really made me reflect.

It's more of a utility quartz than one you assign to a member permanently in my experience

If there's someone you want to level keep it on them in battle, otherwise I just shifted it around my team to recover resources on the field before re-equipping them with something else

Ah, thanks!

ultra7k

Made my way to Chapter 3 and am seriously considering getting the platinum for this game.

Question, if I missed scanning a couple enemies in the early chapters (Pandas and Tomatoes I'm looking at you!), does this mean I have to get them on my 2nd run of the game? From what I can gather about the way the game is structured, it doesn't allow you to roam around like in FC/SC does it?

Eylos

Banned
Made my way to Chapter 3 and am seriously considering getting the platinum for this game.

Question, if I missed scanning a couple enemies in the early chapters (Pandas and Tomatoes I'm looking at you!), does this mean I have to get them on my 2nd run of the game? From what I can gather about the way the game is structured, it doesn't allow you to roam around like in FC/SC does it?

yeah, you have to play again

edit: you have to play twice the game to get the platinum, there is 2 master quartz (thor and chevalier) that you have to choose which you will get (read a faq how to get them) so in the new game plus you have to get the other quartz

zelhawks37

Best this game sometime ago and koved it from beginning to end. Music and story maintain an awesome standard this series has always had and the combat is improved on from the sky games. Definitely going to replay it on nightmare before the sequel comes out. All that said, Estelle > Rean. XD

Nyoro SF

Chapter 5 questions:

The whole sequence inside the castle was weird. I was like wtf is happening all the time since I don't understand anything. One thing I noticed though: When they were binded by the orb before it was broken by the lance, it seems Gaius was not bound though he was weakened.

Is he someone special too like Emma?

Nice catch there, I totally missed that. They even switched the focus to him during that cutscene.... *knocks my slow brain*

ultra7k

yeah, you have to play again

edit: you have to play twice the game to get the platinum, there is 2 master quartz (thor and chevalier) that you have to choose which you will get (read a faq how to get them) so in the new game plus you have to get the other quartz

I figured as much. Thanks for the confirmation though!

omgfloofy

Banned
Nice catch there, I totally missed that. They even switched the focus to him during that cutscene.... *knocks my slow brain*

Yeah, I also remember experimenting with that cutscene when I first saw it, by switching him in and out of the party and doing the fight several times over, to see that no matter the party makeup, the cutscene happens with the same arrangement.

Guan's got a term for this sort of thing: Kisekiliteracy. ;D

Zephyx

Starting chapter 6 now, clocked in @ 68 hours. I will replay this for the plat before the sequel arrives to refresh my memory.
Is this where it all breaks down? Last chapter was intense.

Xeteh

Starting chapter 6 now, clocked in @ 68 hours. I will replay this for the plat before the sequel arrives to refresh my memory.
Is this where it all breaks down? Last chapter was intense.

It pretty much keeps ramping up in the later chapters. There are some more relaxed moments but yeah, it keeps going.

Yu Narukami

Really wish I could play more than one hour a day. Progression is so slow for me right now. I hope I finish this game before FFXV releases lol.

Cornbread78

How do you guys blow through these games so quickly. I'm about 38 hours in and still on chapter 3.. The music on the map is awesome, btw. The music is like the best part of the game and naybe one reason my time ticker is so high, lol.

Maybe early September? But no, I don't think there is a concrete date set. 100% in the fall though. That much is confirmed. Still made sure to preorder. Hypeee.

Asd202

EU release date looks to be November 11th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcOHSIm8Fc

From earlier in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209942511&postcount=5890

So US date is probably before then.

Oh wow so we know EU realese date but not US one. That's weird anyway it I guess it will be October? Damn I will be busy with XV then and there's also The Last Guardian and World of FF. I guess I'll finish XV, beat TLG (shorther game) and go for Trails II. August or Early September would have been perfect for me.

Don't worry .. you' ve won't be done with this game in less than 100 hours.

Gee thanks :p. I'm still thinking of getting PS3 for this game I've played PSTV because my PS3 broke down, would need to buy Trails I again to carry the save. Oh it wasn't directed at me :p

How do you guys blow through these games so quickly. I'm about 38 hours in and still on chapter 3.. The music on the map is awesome, btw. The music is like the best part of the game and naybe one reason my time ticker is so high, lol.

Don't worry .. you won't be done with this game in less than 100 hours.

Soriku

EU release date looks to be November 11th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcOHSIm8Fc

"I could feel myself beckoned to the Wheel of Fortune."

gty_wheel_of_fortune_ll_130425_wblog.jpg

Abdiel

I've got so many games this year, but as soon as second chapter drops, it will own me. I'm probably going to platinum it too. I've got ffxv in September, and then this in hopefully November, with world of ff in October, and then kh2.8 I'm probably December, with persona 5 and horizon in Feb... Fuck man. I'm so damn excited. So many jrpgs. (This isn't even all the games I'm getting, just the rpgs starting with xv)

Hobbun

I've got so many games this year, but as soon as second chapter drops, it will own me. I'm probably going to platinum it too. I've got ffxv in September, and then this in hopefully November, with world of ff in October, and then kh2.8 I'm probably December, with persona 5 and horizon in Feb... Fuck man. I'm so damn excited. So many jrpgs. (This isn't even all the games I'm getting, just the rpgs starting with xv)

Right now I’m getting through Trails in the Sky FC, and then will play SC. I was going to go right into CS 1, but now it’s being recommended to play the 3rd first, so I will wait on the Cold Steel games.

But looking forward to World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders and Persona 5 and will be purchasing I Am Setsuna. And I still have RPGs I want to play in my backlog.

FF XV…not sure if I am going to get that, honestly. Although with how they’ve changed the combat system to stop and let you choose targets, I may end up doing so, now.

The game I am really excited about getting is Rainbow Skies. I know for many it isn’t even on their radar, but I loved Rainbow Moon and have been looking for RS for years now. That will either be the end of this year or early next year.

Shahed

It helps when you only play one game at a time. Especially compared to people who play multiple RPG's at once!

Hobbun

It helps when you only play one game at a time. Especially compared to people who play multiple RPG's at once!

Doesn’t help me all that much. I am just slow at playing games in general. I only concentrate on one game at a time and it still takes me forever. Part of it is I just don’t have the time to put towards games like I used to, but my issue is my favorite games are the RPGs, which of course take me 80+ hours to complete.

It’s a lose-lose scenario for me in regards to time. :)

ultra7k

I have a question about game length.

Currently just starting chapter 4 at about 28 hours. Does the second play through go by quicker, or about the same pace on Nightmare mode? Just trying to gauge how much idle time I'll need to get the 100 hour trophy.

Korigama

I have a question about game length.

Currently just starting chapter 4 at about 28 hours. Does the second play through go by quicker, or about the same pace on Nightmare mode? Just trying to gauge how much idle time I'll need to get the 100 hour trophy.
Only 28 hours after getting that far? I haven't had to spend any idle time. Advancing well into Chapter 4 has me at well over 90 hours at this point. But then, when I played, I've also:

-talked to absolutely everyone multiple times, particularly after story updates
-did every request, including both the listed and hidden optional ones
-had voice acting enabled, rather than only reading through all dialogue
-made a point of scanning every enemy
-obtained enough Sepith to eventually unlock everyone's Orbment slots
-fished at every given opportunity, currently ranked up to Black Angler
-made sure to get every book, including tracking down every Red Moon Rose chapter given out specific NPCs so far
-obtained every recipe and cooked enough to get superb, peculiar, and unique dishes when possible
-reached low-to-mid 40s level-wise as of last stopping point in the chapter
-gotten Rean to at least Lv. 2 in links with everyone, others to Lv. 3, and two to Lv. 4
-earned enough money each chapter to upgrade all relevant party equipment during each field assignment, not only armor, shoes, and accessories, but customized weapons and the U-Materials needed to make each of them

...Basically, simply sitting down to play in and of itself is extremely time-consuming for me, without any need to leave the game idle. Not using an FAQ either, though.
Right now I’m getting through Trails in the Sky FC, and then will play SC. I was going to go right into CS 1, but now it’s being recommended to play the 3rd first, so I will wait on the Cold Steel games.

But looking forward to World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Builders and Persona 5 and will be purchasing I Am Setsuna. And I still have RPGs I want to play in my backlog.

FF XV…not sure if I am going to get that, honestly. Although with how they’ve changed the combat system to stop and let you choose targets, I may end up doing so, now.

The game I am really excited about getting is Rainbow Skies. I know for many it isn’t even on their radar, but I loved Rainbow Moon and have been looking for RS for years now. That will either be the end of this year or early next year.
Hm, being told to wait until playing the 3rd first sounds excessive, particularly when the main story for Trails in the Sky concludes by SC. I've only gotten as far as Chapter 1 for FC without feeling that it's been to my detriment, but that's me.

As much as I've tried to care about FFXV again, I've been able to do so.

Abdiel

Everything shown for xv excites me. I can appreciate different battle systems for their unique merits, xv is doing its own thing, which I'm looking forward to experiencing.

I'm almost finished with Setsuna, should be done this weekend. Tuesday has fairy fencer f and Shiren the wanderer. That should hold me until no man's sky and then dues ex in August. (I love the pun there... AUGust... So good).

September just sets a roller coaster of games. I also am picking up psvr. Heh.

Saphirax

Only 28 hours after getting that far? I haven't had to spend any idle time. Advancing well into Chapter 4 has me at well over 90 hours at this point. But then, when I played, I've also:

-talked to absolutely everyone multiple times, particularly after story updates
-did every request, including both the listed and hidden optional ones
-had voice acting enabled, rather than only reading through all dialogue
-made a point of scanning every enemy
-obtained enough Sepith to eventually unlock everyone's Orbment slots
-fished at every given opportunity, currently ranked up to Black Angler
-made sure to get every book, including tracking down every Red Moon Rose chapter given out specific NPCs so far
-obtained every recipe and cooked enough to get superb, peculiar, and unique dishes when possible
-reached low-to-mid 40s level-wise as of last stopping point in the chapter
-gotten Rean to at least Lv. 2 in links with everyone, others to Lv. 3, and two to Lv. 4
-earned enough money each chapter to upgrade all relevant party equipment during each field assignment, not only armor, shoes, and accessories, but customized weapons and the U-Materials needed to make each of them

...Basically, simply sitting down to play in and of itself is extremely time-consuming for me, without any need to leave the game idle. Not using an FAQ either, though.

Hm, being told to wait until playing the 3rd first sounds excessive, particularly when the main story for Trails in the Sky concludes by SC. I've only gotten as far as Chapter 1 for FC without feeling that it's been to my detriment, but that's me.

I did all of that sans talking to every npc (I did talk to quite a few though) and my first playthrough was 55~ hours.

Korigama

I did all of that sans talking to every npc (I did talk to quite a few though) and my first playthrough was 55~ hours.
Huh. Added time of running around and talking to everyone aside, perhaps I'm simply an anomaly. Either way, it's been pretty much unprecedented for me to wind up putting this much time into one RPG without getting to New Game+ or at the very least knowingly putting off the end of the game.

I can certainly say that I've been getting my money's worth.

Hobbun

This is what I was told in another thread when I asked if I should wait:

I think you can enjoy Cold Steel/CS2 on their own, but if you have the self control to play FC and SC, then wait for 3rd early next year first, some plot twists may actually have more impact for you.

I had your thoughts at first, in that FC and SC are their own story, and CS does have aspects that make reference to those two games (what I've been told).

But now it sounds like there are aspects in the 3rd that could give more flavor to CS, as well.

Everything shown for xv excites me. I can appreciate different battle systems for their unique merits, xv is doing its own thing, which I'm looking forward to experiencing.

Well, hope you enjoy FF XV. :) Like I said, I think I might give it a try. But just would love to see SE come back with a good turn-based, main-line FF again.

But that discussion is for another thread.

Gu4n

The 3rd adds so much flavour to every other game, itself included. I recommend playing Cold Steel II on release date, The 3rd on release date, and then Cold Steel II NG+. You know why when you do.

Hobbun

The 3rd adds so much flavour to every other game, itself included. I recommend playing Cold Steel II on release date, The 3rd on release date, and then Cold Steel II NG+. You know why when you do.

Playing on release date is that important?

I don't see that happening, honestly. Even if I started CS 1 right now, I don't see myself finishing it before CS 2 comes out. Never mind the fact I at least want to finish FC and SC before I do that. I just started Chapter III in FC.

Gu4n

Playing on release date is that important?

I don't see that happening, honestly. Even if I started CS 1 right now, I don't see myself finishing it before CS 2 comes out. Never mind the fact I at least want to finish FC and SC before I do that. I just started Chapter III in FC.
Oh, no. It was a poorly phrased recommendation for a playing order.

Hobbun

Oh, no. It was a poorly phrased recommendation for a playing order.

Not an issue, was just kind of curious.

Honestly though, I wish I could buy all the games I want to play and then play (and finish) them before the next game I want comes out. But I just don’t have the time like I used to.

So I have a backlog that almost rivals a library.

Shin-chan

I can't get this game out of my head. I've started TMS, Star Ocean, Setsuna and Odin Sphere since beating it and I just can't get as interested in them.

Cold Steel 2 really can't come soon enough.

Psxphile

Actually, that seems like sound plan: CSII -> The 3rd -> CSII NG+.

Hopefully, the wait between finishing CSII (it'd probably take me between 1-2 months on and off from launch, if CSI is anything to go by) and the release of The 3rd won't be very long or I might be tempted to jump back into CSII just for the trophies.

Ultimadrago

Does CS2 spoil the Third?

Edit: I guess Korigama answered my question :S

I really didn't want to hold off CS2, but if I held of CS1 for so long maybe I will have the willpower.

Shin-chan

I dont think I've seen a game series that is quite so "you get out of it what you're prepared to put in" as Trails. FC was difficult for me at times because I genuinely found it tedious that the game was clearly about some much larger event and story (it's called the Legend of Heroes for gods sake) but the characters were totally oblivious to this. Obviously this makes sense but it's still frustrating when things take a lot time to actually get to the point. And yet, when they do ... they really do.

It's like a Japanese fantasy version of The Wire about teenagers and politics.

Hobbun

So people are planning to go through NG+ on CS II to get the platinum?

I barely have enough time to go through the game once.

omgfloofy

Banned

Just like CS1, you can't platinum the game without a run of NG+. CS2, specifically, has another major quest, at least, that's only available in NG+.

preta

Just curious, if this wouldn't be a spoiler in and of itself - what general part of 3rd does NG+ call back to?
Phantasma? The Gralsritter? Something having to do with Ouroboros? North Ambria? None of these?
And is it true that you only fight the final final boss in NG+?

Stuart444

I went through CSI 3 times >.> and if I get time, I might do a 4th (it's a lot shorter when you can skip most dialogue lol) before CSII is out.

So yeah, I'll do CSII as many times as needed for the platinum :)

Gu4n

Just curious, if this wouldn't be a spoiler in and of itself - what general part of 3rd does NG+ call back to?
Phantasma? The Gralsritter? Something having to do with Ouroboros? North Ambria? None of these?
And is it true that you only fight the final final boss in NG+?
All of those.

And no, that's not true -- not sure where people are getting that from?

I went through CSI 3 times >.> and if I get time, I might do a 4th (it's a lot shorter when you can skip most dialogue lol) before CSII is out.

Whoa, that's a lot. I actually played Sen no Kiseki only once, and haven't felt the urge to re-play it. I did watch my wife play through Cold Steel twice, though, so technically I've sat through it three times?

Shahed

Hold off your 4th CS playthrough until you finish CSII, and then play the Sky Trilogy, the play CS1 and II. You never played the Sky games right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Stuart444

Hold off your 4th CS playthrough until you finish CSII, and then play the Sky Trilogy, the play CS1 and II. You never played the Sky games right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I kinda started FC but I'm still in the prologue >.> got distracted by other newer games coming out all at once.

I'm in a mine place I think. Or something like that

Once I've finished some of my backlog and probably after CSII is out, I'll see if I can fit it in some place along with SC. Hopefully before the 3rd comes out.

Whoa, that's a lot. I actually played Sen no Kiseki only once, and haven't felt the urge to re-play it. I did watch my wife play through Cold Steel twice, though, so technically I've sat through it three times?

Heh, I loved it enough that I had no issue replaying it. Only bit I dreaded was the big open area and that was only on my 2nd/3rd playthroughs. (first time was okay, it was an unknown and stuff but it's a slog on later playthroughs even though the music is nice and stuff :) )

I also sat through the stuff (major end-game spoilers for Cold Steel 1)
near the end each time without skipping the dialogue. Loved those scenes with Crow being found out while everyone is in the classroom and then the scenes with the teachers and Sharon. <3 couldn't skip them, they were too good to watch. - especially Sharon. Sharon FTW

Top Bottom