• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

preta

So uhm, I was looking at the trophy icon from the game and was wondering if that picture isn't somehow a spoiler. I'm in Chapter 3 and don't know the context but I hope it isn't what I'm thinking.

I don't see how it could be much of a spoiler, at least with no context. What are you thinking?

Squire

Banned
Finished the game just a bit ago.

It's definitely the best RPG I've played in quite some time. The combat might be the best turn-based system I've encountered and the story was fantastic, ending included. Really, that whole final chapter is just utter perfection.

I really really love this cast and I couldn't possibly be more excited for the sequel. I'm more than ready for Falcom to
tell an absolutely bang-up war story.

Cornbread78

Much easier time with the 4th floor old schoolhouse boss. Elliot is a beast between Resounding Beat and that War Cry skill that heals everyone in an instant.. good stuff.

Squire

Banned
Much easier time with the 4th floor old schoolhouse boss. Elliot is a beast between Resounding Beat and that War Cry skill that heals everyone in an instant.. good stuff.

Yeah, those skills are never not useful. Alisa has a couple crafts that help with CP and I found those were just as valuable for late game bosses.

Cornbread78

Yeah, those skills are never not useful. Alisa has a couple crafts that help with CP and I found those were just as valuable for late game bosses.

It almost felt cheap using Eliot to do nothing but heal/buff, Emma use arts and buff, Alisha replentishing CP with the Blessed Arrow skill and using sone arts and Rean using his skills to impede as well as arts..

Nose Master

Small nitpick, but omg. The idle voices are obnoxious. I have this up on my PSTV, and every 20 seconds whoever you have selected stretches and does the same voice clip. D:

Squire

Banned
It almost felt cheap using Eliot to do nothing but heal/buff, Emma use arts and buff, Alisha replentishing CP with the Blessed Arrow skill and using sone arts and Rean using his skills to impede as well as arts..

There are some enemies in the late game where Eliot is probably the best attacker you have next to Laura, too.

Nose Master

Should I save my U-Materials for end game weapons? They're pretty rare and blowing them on a weapon to upgrade in the next chapter seems like a waste.

Erheller

Should I save my U-Materials for end game weapons? They're pretty rare and blowing them on a weapon to upgrade in the next chapter seems like a waste.

You can farm them in the last chapter, but it may take some time. Honestly upgrading anything other than Rean's (and maybe Laura's or your main physical attacker's) equipment is kind of a waste, though, since they get cycled through quickly.

Cornbread78

Ok, up way later than I should be, but I just played through the intro and following story with
Elise
in chp.4. My goodness, what is happening? Too many mysteries and
Emma (the witch?) and that cat are up to something dammit!
what a twist right there.. Loved the music and story was nice, but soooooo many questions now, lol.

Yu Narukami

Is the Japanese version also filled with German names and terms? I think I saw some French too. Kinda funny how Arc en Ciel is pronounced lol.

preta

Is the Japanese version also filled with German names and terms? I think I saw some French too. Kinda funny how Arc en Ciel is pronounced lol.

I'm not sure about all of them, but at least a lot (including Arc en Ciel) are in the Japanese version. By the way, you might not have seen my post above since you didn't reply but the trophy icon isn't really a spoiler, especially if you have no context. I'm kind of curious what you were thinking now though.

Yu Narukami

I'm not sure about all of them, but at least a lot (including Arc en Ciel) are in the Japanese version. By the way, you might not have seen my post above since you didn't reply but the trophy icon isn't really a spoiler, especially if you have no context. I'm kind of curious what you were thinking now though.

I don't want an answer but...

Speculation spoiler.

I was wondering if that was the final boss or a mech that Rean uses to beat the final boss.

Shahed

Upgrade Rean's weapon. Also upgrade one other physical attacker as well such as Laura or Fie. Don't bother anymore unless you have spare. Personally while I skipped fighting enemies on the map again, I went out of my way to fight the ones that drop U Material

The actual best end game weapons don't use U-Material but something else. You can (realistically) get 3 per playthough. one by getting all the Chapters of a certain book series. can't remember which one, but you might be able to buy any you missed from that pawn shop. Another by giving the 3 accessory sets in the last chapter to some girl at school, and the other is by picking up 3 items in the end game dungeon and returning to the shop. I gave two to Rean and Laura, and the other was a random pick between Alisa and Emma. Didn't really matter to my play style, Rean and Laura were the important ones

Zephyx

Don't really know if a spoiler or not but I'll tag it regardless:

Checking out Erebonian folklore 2 regarding the entry on Gnome and the engineer in the acadamy named George Nome seems to be more than a coincidence to me. If he would still be the engineer by the 2nd game with all the endgame shenanigans in the first game, I can see him fitting the part of the one creating weapons for heroes of legends.

Shahed

You can actually convert U-Material into this substance for the ultimate weapons in the pawn shop I think, so it's worth stockpiling them
That's why I said you can only realistically get 3 weapons per playthrough. Yes technically you can get as many as you want, but it comes to 225 U Material per weapon. Even if all U Materials were hoarded throughout the game you'd still probably need to grind more of them out. I don't think it's worth it and you may as well get at least Reans weapon every chapter. Besides I think that may be in NG+ only anyway.

Gu4n

Don't really know if a spoiler or not but I'll tag it regardless:

Checking out Erebonian folklore 2 regarding the entry on Gnome and the engineer in the acadamy named George Nome seems to be more a coincidence to me. If he would still be the engineer by the 2nd game with all the endgame shenanigans in the first game, I can see him fitting the part of the one creating weapons for heroes of legends.
+1 for you, and I think you were already on +2 for your Gaius observation. This is also something I've been thinking, though no game has confirmed or denied this.

Extremely related:
Towa must have some fairy blood running through her veins.

Korigama

Small nitpick, but omg. The idle voices are obnoxious. I have this up on my PSTV, and every 20 seconds whoever you have selected stretches and does the same voice clip. D:
Actually, I never knew there were idle voices after all this time (never kept still for long enough, always went to menu whenever I planned on letting the game sit there for a bit). Guess I'll have to go give those a listen.

That's why I said you can only realistically get 3 weapons per playthrough. Yes technically you can get as many as you want, but it comes to 225 U Material per weapon. Even if all U Materials were hoarded throughout the game you'd still probably need to grind more of them out. I don't think it's worth it and you may as well get at least Reans weapon every chapter. Besides I think that may be in NG+ only anyway.

Oh yeah I forgot it's a shard not the full ore

I knew I was doing NG+ so I just hoarded them. and I think on NG+ you can convert them at any point in the game vs just the end

Zephyx

+1 for you, and I think you were already on +2 for your Gaius observation. This is also something I've been thinking, though no game has confirmed or denied this.

Extremely related:

Well, the lore in this game is something else compared to others. Too bad I can't understand Japanese and I have only the released games to formulate my observations/theories.

Regarding your spoiler:
I first thought Millium was the fairy given we don't know anything regarding her background. She also fits the description of being playful/mischievous in nature and her having small stature. The only thing missing are her wings which I assume is Airgetlam but we also don't know anything about it and there is very little to go on as the party does not even second guess later in the game. We also don't know Towa's background but she seems to me like a personification of Rean as a woman without the powers. I see no evidence to assume she is some kind of fairy though.

Nyoro SF

Extremely related:

Are you telling me that some parts of my extremely whack theories could be true? lol

Psxphile

Well, the lore in this game is something else compared to others. Too bad I can't understand Japanese and I have only the released games to formulate my observations/theories.

Regarding your spoiler:
I first thought Millium was the fairy given we don't know anything regarding her background. She also fits the description of being playful/mischievous in nature and her having small stature. The only thing missing are her wings which I assume is Airgetlam but we also don't know anything about it and there is very little to go on as the party does not even second guess later in the game. We also don't know Towa's background but she seems to me like a personification of Rean as a woman without the powers. I see no evidence to assume she is some kind of fairy though.

Regarding *your* spoiler about the lack of background:
We know Towa has Eastern blood in her. Which is the reason for her given name. She reveals it to Rean if you take her to the Tea House attraction during the festival.

Zephyx

Regarding *your* spoiler about the lack of background:
We know Towa has Eastern blood in her. Which is the reason for her given name. She reveals it to Rean if you take her to the Tea House attraction during the festival.

Seems weird how the link with faeries is established given the folklore is Erebonian in nature and she is from the east. Maybe half faerie? Have to see the scene myself since I took her to Mishy panic instead. :3

I got more observations but I'm waiting if the second game answers them first since I'm just questioning myself more and more as I formulate theories about it. The answers just bring more questions.

Squire

Banned
Fairies? Is this from the others trails games?

Probably from Trails in The Sky/Flash.

Seems weird how the link with faeries is established given the folklore is Erebonian in nature and she is from the east. Maybe half faerie? Have to see the scene myself since I took her to Mishy panic instead. :3

I got more observations but I'm waiting if the second game answers them first since I'm just questioning myself more and more as I formulate theories about it. The answers just bring more questions.

Replying to spoiler:
She's definitely not from the east. The way she talks in the scene, it's clear the eastern blood is a thin strain. It's nothing as broad as one of her parents being eastern or her coming from that part of the world. She just knows part of her lineage is from there and that's why she was given the name.

That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Psxphile

Probably from Trails in The Sky/Flash.

Heh.

The "fairies" thing... Animism, in general, seems like something unique to Erebonia. Granted, not having played the games that take place in Crossbell I can't say that's the absolute truth. They certainly weren't mentioned in Skies FC and SC.

The Erebonian Folklore book you can read in the library describes fairies as young girls w/ wings or just small in general. They resemble animals in a sense, and they love pulling pranks and being mischievous. Now... who does that sound like?

Gu4n

I got more observations but I'm waiting if the second game answers them first since I'm just questioning myself more and more as I formulate theories about it.
It's not just her bloodline that's odd (note her pointy ears); her entire existence is fundamentally puzzling. She shares her last name with Nayuta Hershel, the stargazing loving protagonist of Nayuta no Kiseki. During that scene at the festival, she says her grandfather loved stargazing. So if you inter-universary link wasn't enough, Towa herself appears in Tokyo Xanadu as a teacher, and cunningly dodging questions about her past. Yes, she's an enigma.

The answers just bring more questions.
Trails in a nutshell.

Squire

Banned
I was immensely satisfied with the end of CS, which I personally consider to be the last ten hours or so, as opposed to just the literal final cutscene.

The answers all raise more questions, but I'm fascinated to see where they go and CS itself feels like a complete body of work that pretty smoothly passes the baton to the next chapter.

Regarding the lore, having read the Doll Knight in SC, I always thought

Millium would be revealed as an Ouroboros agent.
She is called a "puppeter", and Lemmy looks exactly like something the 13 factories would build.

Then Sharon happened lol

Squire

Banned
Okay, so yesterday I started NG+ on Normal. I made it up to the start of the first field study, but I found that it's just waaaay too easy. I restarted on Nightmare today, back up to the same point already (thanks text skip!), but I'm having the same problem?

I actually consider being super OP to be the main draw for NG+ in most cases, but with CS I feel like I have this great great battle system that's ostensibly useless now. Obviously I carried over my status, so my characters are mostly around Lv. 65. Will the difficulty pick up?

Psxphile

Okay, so yesterday I started NG+ on Normal. I made it up to the start of the first field study, but I found that it's just waaaay too easy. I restarted on Nightmare today, back up to the same point already (thanks text skip!), but I'm having the same problem?

I actually consider being super OP to be the main draw for NG+ in most cases, but with CS I feel like I have this great great battle system that's ostensibly useless now. Obviously I carried over my status, so my characters are mostly around Lv. 65. Will the difficulty pick up?

Probably not until Chapter 5 or 6.

Gu4n

Chapter 5 is indeed the point where you'll have to start thinking again. Spend the time you don't have to spend on battles on other things, like talking to NPCs, read the in-game books and even Rean's journal (yes, there is one) can be surprisingly funny at times with him commenting on enemies' names.

Squire

Banned

Chapter 5 is indeed the point where you'll have to start thinking again. Spend the time you don't have to spend on battles on other things, like talking to NPCs, read the in-game books and even Rean's journal (yes, there is one) can be surprisingly funny at times with him commenting on enemies' names.

You know what? I'll do just that. Enemies on the field actually run away from me, so I'll ignore them and breeze through fights until the challenge hits, and soak up the world in the meantime.

For most of my first playthrough, I was so eager to see the next turn the story would take, I didn't spend nearly as much time with the NPCs as I could/should have. Wasn't until chapter 5 that I started to really check in on people, honestly.

Psxphile

Yeah. If you transferred your Levels, Mira, sepith, quartz, etc. over in NG+ then don't even bother fighting randos until you're back in Final Chapter. It's just a waste of time.

Squire

Banned
Yeah. If you transferred your Levels, Mira, sepith, quartz, etc. over in NG+ then don't even bother fighting randos until you're back in Final Chapter. It's just a waste of time.

That's what I figured. It seems I missed out on a lot of good MQs though. Dominator, Thor, Chevalier... I know
Thor is Sarah's, so I'm assuming Chevalier is Neithardt's

Is there a list of MQs and where to find them?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I was fighting the final boss last night, got it down to about ~1/3 health left and the game freezes. I was pissed and it was already about 1:15am. Looks like I'll have to go back and finish it tonight.

I will say, I was not ready for any of what had happened prior. Hoooooly shit.

Yu Narukami

I was fighting the final boss last night, got it down to about ~1/3 health left and the game freezes. I was pissed and it was already about 1:15am. Looks like I'll have to go back and finish it tonight.

I will say, I was not ready for any of what had happened prior. Hoooooly shit.

Sometimes I just want to rush through game to find out what you all are talking about. I'm only at the end of Chapter 3.

matmanx1

In Chapter 2 now on the Field Study trip in the market town. When do I start finding some new weapons for my team?

And is it generally advisable to use Sepith to unlock more slots first or to create new Arts?

Shahed

In Chapter 2 now on the Field Study trip in the market town. When do I start finding some new weapons for my team?

And is it generally advisable to use Sepith to unlock more slots first or to create new Arts?
You get more weapons by buying them and/or upgrading them with U Material. If you're short on money, just get Rean's. The party members who aren't with you on any given Study will have their equipment upgraded whenever you see them next so don't worry about people falling too far behind.

Also unlock the slots first. More stat upgrades, effects or Artes to be able to equip at any given time. I very rarely ever bought Sepith since most of the better ones are found in chests or dropped from monsters. In fact later in the game you'll have more than you'll ever need and will end up selling not just the regular Sepith Mass, but the others as well.

Eylos

Banned

each chapter unlocks new weapons, as soon as possible unlock the slots its preferable

matmanx1

each chapter unlocks new weapons, as soon as possible unlock the slots its preferable

I think I've checked all over Celdic and didn't see any place where I could buy new weapons so I am guessing I will have to wait until I can return to the Academy?

Eylos

Banned
I think I've checked all over Celdic and didn't see any place where I could buy new weapons so I am guessing I will have to wait until I can return to the Academy?

i don't remember if celdic has a weapon shop =/, if not must be an exception

FireSol

62 hours and all I've got is that ending?????? I'm MAD!!! No really, this is one of the best games on Vita, I've almost got A0...shit! People who were disappointed in ME3 ending need to play this game and then they will understand what is the real pain.

Top Bottom