• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

Yes you are right you can have Action 1 on one line and Action 2 on the other, not both of the same kind. I'm still a noob though, on chapter 5 and still trying to figure out how it all works. I also just figured out Evade is actually useful and not a complete waste as I previously thought.

So confused about which quartz setup is best and what accessories to equip. I try to have arts of at least 3 elements on everyone, except the main attackers in the front (Rean, Laura, Fie, Gaius etc) I try to give these guys status boosts.

Even though I'm confused, I'm enjoying the crap out of this game.
6000th post in this thread, congrats!

What I tend to do is strip the characters of all their gear/quartz and look at their base stats and boost the highest ones. For example, Fie's natural evasion allows her to get (close) to 100% evasion rate, meaning she'll evade (and counter) most attacks. I equip the quartz and gear that boost this stat. I fill in the 'remaining' slots after I'm done equipping the party with these 'must-have' quartzes. In Fie's case, since she evades/counters a lot, I would boost her Speed and Strength to make the most out of her build.

What about the color on the lines? Do they have a purpose?
Not that I know of. I think the colours just highlight the different lines.

Famassu

Yeah, I second the "boost whatever are the strengths of characters" advice. In addition to that, I usually put at least one accuracy improving quartz/equipment to pretty much every melee-focused character, just to get (almost) completely rid of the unfortunate incidents of not hitting enemies, and then maybe add some negative status-inflicting quartz to people like Rean who I have constantly doing AOE crafts to enemies

DragonElm

Neo Member
6000th post in this thread, congrats!

What I tend to do is strip the characters of all their gear/quartz and look at their base stats and boost the highest ones. For example, Fie's natural evasion allows her to get (close) to 100% evasion rate, meaning she'll evade (and counter) most attacks. I equip the quartz and gear that boost this stat. I fill in the 'remaining' slots after I'm done equipping the party with these 'must-have' quartzes. In Fie's case, since she evades/counters a lot, I would boost her Speed and Strength to make the most out of her build.

Not that I know of. I think the colours just highlight the different lines.

Thanks!

That's great advice, I never thought of removing everything and starting fresh. Will definitely keep this in mind for the remainder of the game.

Yu Narukami

Why haven't I bought this game earlier instead of wasting my time with the shitty FFXIII sequels? This game has everything I like in an RPG.

Gu4n

Thanks!

That's great advice, I never thought of removing everything and starting fresh. Will definitely keep this in mind for the remainder of the game.
While I'm at it, further advice on Fie: upgrading her weapons with U-Materials raise her evasion even further, and in Chapter 4 you can buy a piece of equipment -- I don't know what it's called in English, 'Red Suit' or something -- that adds another 10%. This will be a blessing later on.

Why haven't I bought this game earlier instead of wasting my time with the shitty FFXIII sequels? This game has everything I like in an RPG.
I know right. I'm having a really hard time to distance myself from the series and just keep replaying the games (and discover new things every playthrough), lol.

Shahed

Yes you are right you can have Action 1 on one line and Action 2 on the other, not both of the same kind. I'm still a noob though, on chapter 5 and still trying to figure out how it all works. I also just figured out Evade is actually useful and not a complete waste as I previously thought.

So confused about which quartz setup is best and what accessories to equip. I try to have arts of at least 3 elements on everyone, except the main attackers in the front (Rean, Laura, Fie, Gaius etc) I try to give these guys status boosts.

Even though I'm confused, I'm enjoying the crap out of this game.
For accessories you might want to give every character an Evergreen. Then there's Passionate Rouge for physical attackers and another version for Arte users. Evergreen is the priority though.

DragonElm

Neo Member
While I'm at it, further advice on Fie: upgrading her weapons with U-Materials raise her evasion even further, and in Chapter 4 you can buy a piece of equipment -- I don't know what it's called in English, 'Red Suit' or something -- that adds another 10%. This will be a blessing later on.

I know right. I'm having a really hard time to distance myself from the series and just keep replaying the games (and discover new things every playthrough), lol.

Damn, missed the weapon. Will keep in mind for 2nd playthrough in Nightmare.

I haven't finished the game yet and I already can't get enough. Going to play the previous Trails just for the story. Really hoping they localise the rest of the games.

For accessories you might want to give every character an Evergreen. Then there's Passionate Rouge for physical attackers and another version for Arte users. Evergreen is the priority though.

Noted. Bought a couple of Evergreen in Chapter 4, I'm in CHapter 5 now, can I buy it anywhere else? I like Gladiator Headband for the CP regen.

Gu4n

Noted. Bought a couple of Evergreen in Chapter 4, I'm in CHapter 5 now, can I buy it anywhere else? I like Gladiator Headband for the CP regen.
You can get them at Micht's Pawn Shop in Trista (from August 22th onward), or the pawn shop in Chapter 6. For 1 Evergreen exchange 5 Green Pendulums; for 1 Green Pendulum exchange 5 Proxy Puppets (I think they're called). You can also buy the Green Pendulums for 5000 mira p.p. in Chapter 5 (Watteau's shop) or Chapter 6 (Boronia shop).

Thud

I haven't finished the game yet and I already can't get enough. Going to play the previous Trails just for the story. Really hoping they localise the rest of the games.

CSII is coming this year and 3rd is coming next year. Sen III was planned for release in Japan as well, unless I'm mistaking.

XSeed has expressed interest in Ao and Zero, but it's a bit difficult. I'm not sure if Falcom wants to jump in and help. Maybe they can do a remaster in the future.

Nothing is certain, but they've been focusing on the kiseki series for a while now.

Anyway Trails in the Sky is definitely worth it. Combat is a lot simpler, but you'll see it improve in the same series.

I should get CS soon. Might import the lionheart edition from VG+, as it's not that much more expensive than getting it in sale here.

Korigama

The Lionheart Edition has been one of the most satisfying gaming purchases I've made in quite some time, so I'd definitely recommend it.

preta

Definitely play the localized Sky games before Cold Steel II.

Famassu

CSII is coming this year and 3rd is coming next year. Sen III was planned for release in Japan as well, unless I'm mistaking.
Trails of Cold Steel III is apparently a Summer 2017 release in Japan. Add another 1-1,5+ years for localization (if it's localized).

Let's pray falcom reduce the time of the localization

Well, Falcom generally doesn't let them start working until after the game is out in Japan.

Given how secretive they are, the earliest XSEED would likely be able to begin work would be right after the game's Japanese release, which likely puts the game's western release at at least a year out unless it's less text heavy than Cold Steel II and they manage to work faster than they have in the past.

Cornbread78

Lol, so I get to the boss on the third floor of the old schoolhoise and I already have two characters dead before I get 2 moves... like WTF. At least give me a fucking chance to buff..

Edit:
Ok, used 3 special attacks right away and bought some time. Rei's attack is super helpful when it actually delays/cancels like it should.

I swear, if you breeze right through the upcoming battle, I'm going to cry..

Those
two dogs in the sewer
? They weren't so bad. I just kept them staggered with Jusis and Rean's skils. I was able to get Rean out the middle with his cut skill, then I hit both enemies at once with his wave skill to keep pushing their turns back. Once one fell, the other was cake. It just took time, 12 minutes & 14 seconds.

Oh yeah, my team was lvl 20. No grinding, just been fighting every monster I come across on the maps during quests.

Hikami

Awesome to see this thread still going. I plan on replaying the game next month to refresh for CS2. Been long enough that I've forgotten most of the story :p

Those two dogs in the sewer? They weren't so bad. I just kept them staggered with Jusis and Rean's skils. I was able to get Rean out the middle with his cut skill, then I hit both enemies at once with his wave skill to keep pushing their turns back. Once one fell, the other was cake. It just took time, 12 minutes & 14 seconds.

Oh yeah, my team was lvl 20. No grinding, just been fighting every monster I come across on the maps during quests.

I find it interesting which bosses people find tough. I guess it just shows the variety in play style. I never had any trouble with the dogs, but i did have massive issues with the boss at the end of Chapters 5 (
Nosferatu
) and 6
_____C______
. Both of them gave me massive issues. Had some issues with the final boss on my Nightmare run too.

Korigama

I've also never had any problems with the boss battle at the end of Chapter 2. Got past that on my first try without so much as one person falling, and didn't even remember
them having a team attack (possibly because I never gave them a chance to use it)

I've also never had any problems with the boss battle at the end of Chapter 2. Got past that on my first try without so much as one person falling, and didn't even remember
them having a team attack (possibly because I never gave them a chance to use it)

I don't remember that either.

Cornbread78

Those
two dogs in the sewer
? They weren't so bad. I just kept them staggered with Jusis and Rean's skils. I was able to get Rean out the middle with his cut skill, then I hit both enemies at once with his wave skill to keep pushing their turns back. Once one fell, the other was cake. It just took time, 12 minutes & 14 seconds.

I find it interesting which bosses people find tough. I guess it just shows the variety in play style. I never had any trouble with the dogs, but i did have massive issues with the boss at the end of Chapters 5 (
Nosferatu
) and 6
_____C______
. Both of them gave me massive issues. Had some issues with the final boss on my Nightmare run too.

Cruel and heartless, the whole lot of ya...

I'm going to go find a corner to cry in now.....

Gu4n

I heard of someone else struggling with the game, but he didn't know it was possible to swap characters mid-battle. Also, try to manipulate the AT (Attack Turn) flow on the left. Delay enemies, push yourself forward, hi-jack criticals with S-Craft, et cetera.

Cornbread78

I heard of someone else struggling with the game, but he didn't know it was possible to swap characters mid-battle. Also, try to manipulate the AT (Attack Turn) flow on the left. Delay enemies, push yourself forward, hi-jack criticals with S-Craft, et cetera.

Yeah, hopefully, some of these upcoming boss battles aren't as difficult.

i'm legit surprised as well
When i played , the only time i remember thinking " ah i must be carefull or else " was at the end of chapter 3. and i really had no real probs with difficulty untill chapter 5 , but i must admit i've spend a lot of time goofing around in chapter 3 so maybe i was overleveled.???

I really don't remember such attacks

What difficulty are you playing the game on ?

Nah, they all said it was pretty easy n hard as well, so I'm just going to self-shame myself over here....

It's only easy on hard if you take advantage of every mecanic the game throw at you.

Won't prevent you from getting some cheap deaths here and there.( mostly from carelessness )

Are there any extra Quartz worth buying that are available, or just stick with the stock ones given to each character?

You'll find a majority of them out in chests in the world before you can buy them but some of them are absolutely worth buying if you've got extra money lying around... I never did my first playthrough though, equipment is expensive.

Erheller

Grab Moebius (or however you spell it), too. Also the one that gives you more experience. Don't remember if both of those are buyable or if you find them. Either way, it's pretty fun to experiment around with different quartz setups.

Cornbread78

Keep an eye out for Criminal.

Edit: I'm assuming your asking about Master Quartz.

You'll find a majority of them out in chests in the world before you can buy them but some of them are absolutely worth buying if you've got extra money lying around... I never did my first playthrough though, equipment is expensive.

Grab Moebius (or however you spell it), too. Also the one that gives you more experience. Don't remember if both of those are buyable or if you find them. Either way, it's pretty fun to experiment around with different quartz setups.

Yeah, Master Quartz.

Moebius is for sale at the shop by the school and I always wonder if I should be saving up for it or not.

Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad buy, then I will just have to save back up for new equipment as it becomes available..

Yeah, Master Quartz.

Moebius is for sale at the shop by the school and I always wonder if I should be saving up for it or not.

Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad buy, then I will just have to save back up for new equipment as it becomes available..

Moebius is good (especially when fully leveled) so that you can item spam. Scepter if you want more sepith and once fully leveled slightly more experience (or if have a free slot you can use Septium Vein/Dragon Vein to farm more sepith). Near the end, I think you can buy Megalith to level quicker.

Also be sure to exchange for better rare versions of your quartz with Micht before each departure. I think only two cities you can do it during the chapter.

Yu Narukami

Could someone explain me the origin of orbal energy or give me a link please? I don't want to be spoiled again while researching. I'm at chapter 2.

Shahed

Moebius is crazy good once max level. It can break the game since it adds an AoE item use. So food buffs are placed all characters at the same time. That also includes stuff like Zeram Powder/Capsule giving everyone mas SP easily. Literally the end boss for me on Nightmare mode was have Laura and Rean use their S Breaks for 99999 damage, use a Zeram item via the Moebius user and use their S Breaks again to kill the boss. Didn't even need a fourth character and boss barely has a turn. It also has Chrono Burst on by default and makes sair character the perfect support. I used it on Alisa for synergy with her AoE support Crafts

Megalith is really good as well. Inceased EXP gain and restores SP over time outside of battle. At Max Rank the full SP changes in about 10 seconds I think. So you can finish a battle with a 200 SP S Break, and by the time the next battle starts you can do it again, and it makes it easy to have all characters with max SP before a boss fight. . I believe you buy Moebius and Megalith

Vermillion is really powerful too. At Max level when your HP is full it doubles all damage. Comnine that with Domination and at the end of the game your first S Break with said character hit the damage limit. I think you get it by catching one of every type of fish. Criminal is good for magic users like Emma ans Elliot since Artes can Crit for big damage easily, can't remember where I got it though. After Vermillion Murakumo and Orochi are good for physical attackers. Murakumo increases Crit chance and damage if the Crit happens, Orochi randomly increases damage by a certain amount. Orochi you buy from the fishing guy at Max Rank, but can't remember where to get Murakumo.

If you are having money issues there's the cooking trick you can do with Elliot. Make the Omelette since you sell what you make for more than the cost of the materials. It can be a bit mind numbing, but I listen/watched a TV show while doing it and by the end of the show I had enough for my Evergreens and any Master Quartz I wanted to buy.

Psxphile

Could someone explain me the origin of orbal energy or give me a link please? I don't want to be spoiled again while researching. I'm at chapter 2.

According to the in-game history orbal energy has always existed, especially during the era of the Great Zemurian Civilization before the Great Collapse thousands of years ago. Afterwards, humanity somehow lost the knowledge of how to produce the energy during the Dark Ages and Middle Ages. And then 50 years prior to the Sky trilogy, Professor C. Epstein invented the modern day Orbment that utilized Quartz made from septium to draw out their energy, which kickstarted the Orbal Revolution.

I also posted about Orbments and stuff here a while back.

Cornbread78

I knew there was gonna be some tropes I couldn't avoid, but should I be prepared for
siscon stuff?
I'm just assuming that from the convo between
Rean's sister and the princess
in the train station. Add in the fact that they aren't
"blood" siblings...
ugghh, lol. It's all good, I got a laugh out of that scene.

Zephyx

Chapter 5 questions:

The whole sequence inside the castle was weird. I was like wtf is happening all the time since I don't understand anything. One thing I noticed though: When they were binded by the orb before it was broken by the lance, it seems Gaius was not bound though he was weakened.

Is he someone special too like Emma?

Gu4n

Chapter 5 questions:

The whole sequence inside the castle was weird. I was like wtf is happening all the time since I don't understand anything. One thing I noticed though: When they were binded by the orb before it was broken by the lance, it seems Gaius was not bound though he was weakened.

Is he someone special too like Emma?
Good job on spotting that. I suspect 'yes', though no game so far has this confirmed.

The lance is also special. If you've finished Trails in the Sky SC, you can probably make an educated guess.

Zephyx

Good job on spotting that. I suspect 'yes', though no game so far has this confirmed.

The lance is also special. If you've finished Trails in the Sky SC, you can probably make an educated guess.

Then Gaius is indeed someone special. I think he's also hiding something since he has more insight than most of your party members on the supernatural events you're encountering. Hopefully, it will be expanded later this game or in the next game.

I think I played SC until Chapter 5 (though I know the basic plot until the end) then jumped into CS since I can only play CS for a limited time. Can you specify which chapter will I be able to make that connection?

Top Bottom