• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Psxphile

Sitting here staring at a second ToCS LE on my desk. What to do...

Brittany's a nut.

Is there some trick to making money that I've been missing? I'm pretty dirt poor most of the time and can't really afford both weapon and armor upgrades. Should I be abusing septith vein more or something? I'm up to Chapter 4 and gear hasn't felt like a huge issue so far but it's a bit concerning.
I know that feel. People say to take advantage of cooking but so far the profit margins are pretty lousy. For instance:

P.S. To those who need to make some money... one thing I've noticed is that you can abuse cooking. If you buy a bunch of eggs and rock salt you can have Elliot craft a ton of Simple Omelets and sell them. Repeat. Make sure it's Elliot btw. He makes the best ones.
Elliot only makes Warm Egg Soup for me. Yay 20 mira profit. Meanwhile to outfit my team I need several hundred...

Another tip, don't ignore breakable objects. They may not always drop items, but there were a lot of times it dropped something similar or slightly better than even the chests in that area.
Also they respawn at scene change and drop new goodies at random. Break all the boxes!

Shouta

Currently in chapter 4 and all I can say so far is that.....I feel like I am missing so much from the bigger picture.

Having not had a chance to play TC, Ao, and Zero every time a special person's name comes up, or we are introduced to a new mysterious person I keep thinking to myself, "Were they in TC/Zero/Ao? What am I missing here. There is probably oodles of hidden meanings to the scene." For example the
bracer in chapter 2 just had me almost throwing shit at the TV. I know he had to have shown up before this game. Then he makes reference to a couple from a foreign land which one could only assume was either Estelle and Joshua or maybe the main character couple from TC.

I just fucking hate it. Really wish I hadn't opened this game now but am committed to play until the end just in the hopes that maybe one day before I die we get the other three prequels.

Zero and Ao take place in the same timeframe as Cold Steel. The game is written in a way that makes it more enticing to go see what happens in the other games and to minimize how much gets revealed.

Also on that spoiler, it's exactly who you think it is because of their position. It's not game related, so there's no way anyone would know, lol.

Don't overthink the references too much. Not everything is some sort of major callback to old games. More often than not the callbacks are relatively subtle.

If it's too in your face, it's most likely something they will address in the same game... or Cold Steel 2.

I just fucking hate it. Really wish I hadn't opened this game now but am committed to play until the end just in the hopes that maybe one day before I die we get the other three prequels.

I'm content with just blaming the people who didn't originally buy FC when it first came out, making it bomb. Or even the people who aren't buying SC, which makes the 3 missing games even less likely to happen. Makes things not hurt as much, even if it stings knowing that more people are interested in Neptunia on Steam than Trails.

Currently in chapter 4 and all I can say so far is that.....I feel like I am missing so much from the bigger picture.

Having not had a chance to play TC, Ao, and Zero every time a special person's name comes up, or we are introduced to a new mysterious person I keep thinking to myself, "Were they in TC/Zero/Ao? What am I missing here. There is probably oodles of hidden meanings to the scene." For example the
bracer in chapter 2 just had me almost throwing shit at the TV. I know he had to have shown up before this game. Then he makes reference to a couple from a foreign land which one could only assume was either Estelle and Joshua or maybe the main character couple from TC.

If it makes you feel better, just bought both FC and SC on PSN :3 will play them after I finish cold steel.

expel

Wow at ppl who already finished the game lol
Cold steel 2 will deliver tho, you guys will love it. Wonder when Sen 3 will release in Japan, hopefully next year...please :(

Fie and Machias should team up in my party more, the snark-fest is exhilarating.
Plus, his DEF debuff fits well into my "Laura Murderboats Errthang" strategy

I was right earlier about a Certain Someone, too. Brazen fucker even cribbed bishie sparkles!

Emma's English VA is going to sing her way to Fire Emblem Fates.

She does have a good sing-songy lilt to her.

Don't overthink the references too much. Not everything is some sort of major callback to old games. More often than not the callbacks are relatively subtle.

If it's too in your face, it's most likely something they will address in the same game... or Cold Steel 2.

Yeah, it's not like
Dogi the Wall Crusher
is in this. :p

As for your spoiler tag, no, that character never showed up in any game before Cold Steel. He was in a spin-off manga (one book), but that's it. So although you feel like you are missing out on something regarding him, you actually really aren't.

Edit: Also, the manga I referenced is available to read, in English, here: http://www.eidenyaku.com/ It's called The Ring of Judgement. Don't read it unless you've completed SC. (Mods, please take that down if it is somehow against the rules, but I don't think it is.)

Bladenic

Question - feel free to spoiler. But in this game or Cold Steel 2, do you get to visit some of these places that the other groups visit?

expel

As for your spoiler tag, no, that character never showed up in any game before Cold Steel. He was in a spin-off manga (one book), but that's it. So although you feel like you are missing out on something regarding him, you actually really aren't.

Edit: Also, the manga I referenced is available to read, in English, here: http://www.eidenyaku.com/ It's called The Ring of Judgement. Don't read it unless you've completed SC. (Mods, please take that down if it is somehow against the rules, but I don't think it is.)
Yeah i think he only got referenced from a novel he wrote that u can read in the series before CS? I think i'm wrong lol

CrazyDude

I am also crossing my finger for 3 to the west after 2, but I am afraid the series does not sell well consider how bad the second chapter sold on steam and probably less on psp/vita.

Xenoflare

I am also crossing my finger for 3 to the west after 2, but I am afraid the series does not sell well consider how bad the second chapter sold on steam and probably less on psp/vita.

This game is more of an indicator for Sen 2 and 3 than SC

They could always make it digital only to cut down costs.

Falcom games are niche game within a niche circle. They are never going to have impressive numbers

Zero and Ao take place in the same timeframe as Cold Steel. The game is written in a way that makes it more enticing to go see what happens in the other games and to minimize how much gets revealed.

Also on that spoiler, it's exactly who you think it is because of their position. It's not game related, so there's no way anyone would know, lol.

How much of Zero/Ao happens during Cold Steel 1? The way they keep bringing up Crossbell makes it sound like something significant happened just before ColdSteel1 started and that something Important (That Trade Conference) is going to happen.
I have a feeling that if Zero/Ao ever get localized i'll be doing alot of date cross referencing to figure out when things where happening where.

Aeana

How much of Zero/Ao happens during Cold Steel 1? The way they keep bringing up Crossbell makes it sound like something significant happened just before ColdSteel1 started and that something Important (That Trade Conference) is going to happen.
I have a feeling that if Zero/Ao ever get localized i'll be doing alot of date cross referencing to figure out when things where happening where.

Here's a simplified timeline

kEyM3cg.jpg

Xenoflare

Zero/Ao
happens almost concurrently with Sen 1 and 2. With sen 2 being the most "recent" game timeline wise
Edit:B10

I'm not sure on how Zero/Ao is going to be handled here if it's coming to the west. The more ideal revolution versions already got shot down my Xseed I believe, and you have the PSP/PC version.

Falcom did make a PC version of Ao/Zero in Chinese, although I don't know if the west will have that special treatment

Also, could the bad reviews of the Sen games in Japan attributed to series fatigue? The scope is unusually huge now considering there are so many plots to fill

Xenoflare

Fatigue? There's no noted sales decline in Japan, and Falcom are instead broadening their market with same-day Asian localisation.

No, I'm not talking about sales, but the impression that is leaving towards fans.

Edit:
It's mostly about unsolved mysteries and untouched plot that got set up all the way back to 3rd, people are getting pissed off that Sen 2 did nothing to solve most of the stuff, well that's before Sen 3's announcement, mind you. I'm picking this up from forum posts as I'm looking for a better guide in Japanese and Chinese.

Finished up with Chapter 1. That was a decent way to ease the player into the game. Everything is still being set up, but there have been some good moments so far. I like Alisa and Elliot quite a bit form what I've seen.

That brief Bleublanc cameo was pretty wild. The end of the Chapter was also pretty intense, with the Railroad Police showing up just in time. There's definitely a much bigger story being built up.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Fatigue? There's no noted sales decline in Japan, and Falcom are instead broadening their market with same-day Asian localisation.

Wonder if anyone has impressions on the EVO version of TiTS FC. Been wanting to get the Chinese version to support them.

No, I'm not talking about sales, but the impression that is leaving towards fans.

7 games since 2004 doesn't sound too bad. Considering that we could actually group and consider them as 3 very large games :p

Xenoflare

Wonder if anyone has impressions on the EVO version of TiTS FC. Been wanting to get the Chinese version to support them.

7 games since 2004 doesn't sound too bad. Considering that we could actually group and consider them as 3 very large games :p

If the Chinese version comes out I'll just get that. Nice to have physical copies of these classics.

Might as well pick up Sen 2 and 3 if 3 comes out before Fall this year

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If the Chinese version comes out I'll just get that. Nice to have physical copies of these classics.

Might as well pick up Sen 2 and 3 if 3 comes out before Fall this year

The Chinese version of FC Evo is already out. There's also a special edition that has an art book.

Edit:
It's mostly about unsolved mysteries and untouched plot that got set up all the way back to 3rd, people are getting pissed off that Sen 2 did nothing to solve most of the stuff, well that's before Sen 3's announcement, mind you. I'm picking this up from forum posts as I'm looking for a better guide in Japanese and Chinese.

I don't see the unanswered questions answered until the last 2-3 games of the franchise IMO.

I expect they'll keep the new storyline in new continent model until the final arc where the story will go full Avengers/Justice League with all the main protagonist from all previous games join forces against Ouroboros.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Mhmm hopefully I can pick it up in a store overseas when I'm on vacation this summer then

Hope you can find a copy. My local stores (Singapore) don't seem to be carry many copies. My nearest store only had 1 normal and 1 special edition. Haven't seen it in other stores yet.

Xenoflare

Hope you can find a copy. My local stores (Singapore) don't seem to be carry many copies. My nearest store only had 1 normal and 1 special edition. Haven't seen it in other stores yet.

The Kiseki series are surprisingly popular in Chinese speaking regions. I'm pretty optimistic. Some of the hobby shops I know do sell imports, although the prices there might be nasty

Dio

Banned
The Kiseki series are surprisingly popular in Chinese speaking regions. I'm pretty optimistic. Some of the hobby shops I know do sell imports, although the prices there might be nasty

Yeah, I was in Xiamen a couple years ago and I walked into a random tiny-ass shop and they totally had Ys Seven and Ys Origin physical copies on PC just sitting around. Falcom in general has a good relationship with Chinese consumers.

Xenoflare

Yeah, I was in Xiamen a couple years ago and I walked into a random tiny-ass shop and they totally had Ys Seven and Ys Origin physical copies on PC just sitting around. Falcom in general has a good relationship with Chinese consumers.

I have the proper Chinese PC release of TiTs trilogy and YS6/F/O and Xanadu Next. FC even had a LE and I have the artbook for it too. 200+ good pages.

Now all of them are not playable because of StarForce or SecuRom. Well, unless I crack them.

Edit: Actually FC had no DRM, and it can run without the disc in the disc drive. I was astonished by that fact.

Gu4n

Question - feel free to spoiler. But in this game or Cold Steel 2, do you get to visit some of these places that the other groups visit?
No. Falcom had originally envisioned the Erebonia arc to be two games; one is the eastern half and one is the western half. They had to cut the eastern half in two games, Cold Steel 1 and 2, because of technical limitations. While Cold Steel 2 doesn't include the locations in the western half of the nation, it does flesh out the existing half even further, allowing you to visit the places you get 'cut off' in Cold Steel 1.

But man, I want to visit Byronia Island and Saint-Arkh so badly. And while we're at it, the religious district of Heimdallr.

Dio

Banned
I have the proper Chinese PC release of TiTs trilogy and YS6/F/O and Xanadu Next. FC even had a LE and I have the artbook for it too. 200+ good pages.

Now all of them are not playable because of StarForce or SecuRom. Well, unless I crack them.

In my case, I have Ys 7 PC in Chinese just for the novelty - I picked it up when I was there. I have the official Falcom re-release of Xanadu Next for new operating systems that they sell on their site, though - I installed it onto my computer and ran the fan translation patch on the official game, and it worked! Man, Xanadu Next was an awesome game.

As for Falcom artbooks, I happened to see a Trails of Zero artbook when I was in Japan this year so I picked one up along with a physical version of JP Trails of Cold Steel II just cause.

Xenoflare

In my case, I have Ys 7 PC in Chinese just for the novelty - I picked it up when I was there. I have the official Falcom re-release of Xanadu Next for new operating systems that they sell on their site, though - I installed it onto my computer and ran the fan translation patch on the official game, and it worked! Man, Xanadu Next was an awesome game.

As for Falcom artbooks, I happened to see a Trails of Zero artbook when I was in Japan this year so I picked one up along with a physical version of JP Trails of Cold Steel II just cause.

I think it's a pretty indicative sign of Falcom's popularity that YS7 got a PC version (Zero and Ao too) just for the Chinese speaking region that includes Mainland China. Especially when you factor in that the Japanese only had the PSP versions plus the amount of piracy that goes on in China.

No. Falcom had originally envisioned the Erebonia arc to be two games; one is the eastern half and one is the western half. They had to cut the eastern half in two games, Cold Steel 1 and 2, because of technical limitations. While Cold Steel 2 doesn't include the locations in the western half of the nation, it does flesh out the existing half even further, allowing you to visit the places you get 'cut off' in Cold Steel 1.

But man, I want to visit Byronia Island and Saint-Arkh so badly. And while we're at it, the religious district of Heimdallr.

I like the fact that even getting ahead of the depth and increasing the scope of an upcoming game set still ain't enough. heh

Dio

Banned
As someone who is usually not a fan of 95% of Japanese-to-English dubs, this actually gives me some hope that the dub in this game will be good when I get around to starting it soon.

I'm "near the end" and the dub has been pretty great, to be honest. I've heard so much worse from games that get exponentially higher localization budgets.

I mean, I realise that the original has a top-tier cast cast and the dub has a hell of an act to live up to. Rean is voiced by Koki Uchiyama (Banagher from Gundam Unicorn, Meruem in Hunter x Hunter,) Alisa is the Yui Horie (Chie in Persona, Minori in Toradora which she won an award for, I believe) among others.

That being said, I really like what they did here. Sean's Rean is really likable and the cast has been living up to expectations and going past them in some cases - I was thinking to myself that I'd 'have to suffer through it' but some particular stand out voice acting has turned my opinion to positive.

Bladenic

That's disappointing a bit. But now there's CS3, so there's still hope.

Anyway Jusis just learned a craft that boosts Strength, arts, and speed all at once. Bye Alisa.

I'm "near the end" and the dub has been pretty great, to be honest. I've heard so much worse from games that get exponentially higher localization budgets.

I mean, I realise that the original has a top-tier cast cast and the dub has a hell of an act to live up to. Rean is voiced by Koki Uchiyama (Banagher from Gundam Unicorn, Meruem in Hunter x Hunter,) Alisa is the Yui Horie (Chie in Persona, Minori in Toradora which she won an award for, I believe) among others.

That being said, I really like what they did here. Sean's Rean is really likable and the cast has been living up to expectations and going past them in some cases - I was thinking to myself that I'd 'have to suffer through it' but some particular stand out voice acting has turned my opinion to positive.

I think English dubs in general have come a long way since the bad old days of 4kids.

I've really come to like the dub Sara after being somewhat disliking it...

But lol and behold, just as I thought that, a wild Sharon dub appears!

Ara ara characters have always been difficult to translate to dub effectively, even more so when she's the Yukana archetype.

Great to hear.

I'm still early but I really like the cast so far and the sound quality is really nice as well. They made some great choices. I'm going to enjoy hearing their characters develop and go through this stuff.

That blog post was a nice read.

max_505

As someone who is usually not a fan of 95% of Japanese-to-English dubs, this actually gives me some hope that the dub in this game will be good when I get around to starting it soon.

IMO, the English dub is great. It's not quite up to Persona 3/4 levels (which I consider excellent) yet, but XSEED did really well for this game.

Just something to add here: I love how Neithardt sounds like Master Miller from the Metal Gear series.

Bladenic

IMO, the English dub is great. It's not quite up to Persona 3/4 levels (which I consider excellent) yet, but XSEED did really well for this game.

Just something to add here: I love how Neithardt sounds like Master Miller from the Metal Gear series.

This is probably down to personal preference, but I don't think anyone in the main cast in CS is as bad as Fuuka or Chie IMO.

Xenoflare

This is probably down to personal preference, but I don't think anyone in the main cast in CS is as bad as Fuuka or Chie IMO.

Agreed, while overall it's not as good, but there are no one who sounds out of place.

It kinda bugs me that Mirage Space and Time are not treated as weakness/resistances anymore In 3rd they changed it but reverted again in Cold steel. For FC/SC my personal pet peeve is that those three are not treated as the same with the 4 "classic" elements

Top Bottom