• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Yeah, Laura is definitely my favorite cast member.

She is straight laced, hard working, likable, and is a beast of a fighter. Also for once, I also like the lead guy too, he is down to earth, charming, and he holds the team together.

Though I am only in chapter 2 and my opinion may change depending on plot.

I'm in Chapter 4 and she is still awesome. In Battle it almost feels like cheating to use her, she is so op.

10-hours of play and I'm getting sucked in. Liked TitS FC, but never got fully absorbed as I do by my favorite RPGs. I think it was the sort of Grandia-esque "let's go become adventurers!" tone that, despite finding it charming, kept me at a bit of a distance from the characters and story.

With Cold Steel, I'm really digging how Class VII is set up, and how you learn more about your teammates as they learn more about their world. Right now the game is giving me real Suikoden vibes, which past the first hour or so FC never did. Beginning is slow in that Suikoden V way that I love - a varied and believable cast of young characters are thrust into the adult world, and they take the time to intelligently and realistically try and find their respective places in the complexity while hewing to their values.

For folks who like both, does TitS: SC have more of a Suikoden feel like Cold Steel and less of a Grandia/Lunar feel like FC? I realize those are vague designations.

Dio

Banned
For folks who like both, does TitS: SC have more of a Suikoden feel like Cold Steel and less of a Grandia/Lunar feel like FC? I realize those are vague designations.

I would say that SC is the 'second half' of FC, they are two halves of the same game.

I would say that SC is the 'second half' of FC, they are two halves of the same game.

Yeah I get that, was just wondering if there's much of a tonal shift between the two games. FC has some serious moments, but still feels like starry-eyed adventure most of the time. Does SC carry this on, or does it treat more seriously with Estelle as an adult with an actual established role in her community/the world?

Dio

Banned
Yeah I get that, was just wondering if there's much of a tonal shift between the two games. FC has some serious moments, but still feels like starry-eyed adventure most of the time. Does SC carry this on, or does it treat more seriously with Estelle as an adult with an actual established role in her community/the world?

Yeah, things get more serious, and she's markedly more mature than before (and continues to mature over the course of SC.)

Yeah, things get more serious, and she's markedly more mature than before (and continues to mature over the course of SC.)

Cool, sounds good. She was my favorite character in FC, but I never felt the plot did her character justice. Looking forward to SC, though by the time I finish Cold Steel I may need a Legend of Herors palate cleanser first.

Xenoflare

I‘m not so sure with the fact that skill spoilers I guess.

according to my guide the main casts' S craft are mostly learned through plot, some of which doesn't even show up even half way to the game

lolwat

Dio

Banned
I‘m not so sure with the fact that skill spoilers I guess.

according to my guide the main casts' S craft are mostly learned through plot, some of which doesn't even show up even half way to the game

lolwat

Yeah.

If you wanna know when you get Emma's, for example,
I didn't get it until Chapter 5.

Taruranto

Finished CH1.

Is it just me, or the game does auto-pilot pretty frequently? Like at the end of chapter 1
You are pretty much forced into the end chapter CS after defeating the boss.
I feel like if this was Tits, they'd let you explore the town once more before departing.

Shizuka

Finished CH1.

Is it just me, or the game does auto-pilot pretty frequently? Like at the end of chapter 1
You are pretty much forced into the end chapter CS after defeating the boss.
I feel like if this was Tits, they'd let you explore the town once more before departing.

You'll see that not only it "auto-pilot" like you mentioned, but it also follows a strict pattern for each chapter until the very end.

Shizuka

How's the gameplay on this? Is it like Ys celceta? The lionheart edition is still shrink wrapped

Ys Celceta is an action RPG, this is a standard turn-based RPG. Ys Celceta is open-world-ish, this has a fairly limited scope of exploration. The focus on Ys Celceta is the gameplay, the focus for this is the story.

Ok, it looks like I messed a recipe on April 24th, can I get it the next day? I have a save before I did some stuff, but it would be a bit of a pain to go back.
The recipe is the juice one at the east farmhouse. I could have sworn I talked to everyone, but apparently not.

max_505

LOL I see the acerbic tomato got more popular in CS when it was introduced way back in Trails in the Sky FC as some sort of lab experiment in Zeiss. Love the worldbuilding in this series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
LOL I see the acerbic tomato got more popular in CS when it was introduced way back in Trails in the Sky FC as some sort of lab experiment in Zeiss. Love the worldbuilding in this series.
I noticed that too. It's the little things that matter.

Machias can go jump off a cliff. I hate this guy.

Vamphuntr

I did the prologue. Laughed at the female equivalent of Olivier you see before going into the dungeon. Seems promising so far. The UI is really small on Vita, they didn't even bother to scale it? The framerate at the fortress in the beginning was really wonky too.

Trying to remember something about TiTS
was anyone in that called a Divine Blade? I'm thinking maybe Cassius or Loewe. Or maybe Olivier's friend.

Psxphile

I haven't received my Vita copy yet but the font talk is a bit depressing, particularly considering the Evolution releases didn't seem to suffer any font size issues. I guess this is more about sloppy porting / cross-dev than anything else.
PS3 version redeemed? Glad I don't have to worry about that, this version has been a joy to play.

Very random thoughts:
- that opening is so anime that every time it ends, I almost expect a voiceover to announce sponsors while an instrumental version plays in the background.
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

The problem with Cold Steel is that it feels like a downgraded console game on the vita due to the small hud size. Which is a damn shame
I hope people take it easy on Ys 8 when it comes out, being developed with VITA in mind means they can't get too ambitious w/ the PS4 version.

Dio

Banned
Everyone is complaining about the small font but I don't mind it? Guess I'm just weird.

It threw me for a little bit but I got used to it very quickly. I can see how at first glance you'd dislike it but it hasn't hindered anything for me on Vita.

Chapter 3:
Wow, I wasn't expecting Millium to join the party in a playable fashion. Figured she'd be in a Renne situation at least until the next game.
Really liking this chapter so far.

matmanx1

Finally got this game started up yesterday so I am still in the Prologue but I am extremely impressed with what I have seen so far. I can tell that the story and the characters are going to be the focus but the battle system (at least from that first "glimpse" they give you) seems really well thought out and seems to have a lot of depth to it.

It already feels like a proper "big boy" JRPG to me and something that would stand along side Grandia or Suikoden or Skies of Arcadia in terms of fun factor and satisfaction. Hopefully, it will continue to impress.

Dio

Banned
Also, I think I saw a plot thread from Trails in the Sky The 3rd in a flashback image.

Chapter 6 and 3rd speculation:
That still with Oliviert pointing a gun at Osborne was from The 3rd, wasn't it? I clearly remember seeing Osborne being a plot-relevant character from a trailer for The 3rd.

omgfloofy

Banned
Also, I think I saw a plot thread from Trails in the Sky The 3rd in a flashback image.

Chapter 6 and 3rd speculation:
That still with Oliviert pointing a gun at Osborne was from The 3rd, wasn't it? I clearly remember seeing Osborne being a plot-relevant character from a trailer for The 3rd.

That event in 3rd most definitely sets up the events in Cold Steel.

Some details:
The scene in question with Olivier in the flashback image has him announcing his challenge to Osborne by getting Julia to use the Arseille and fly alongside the airliner that Osborne was using to travel back to Erebonia.

Olivier tosses a bouquet of roses in the air and shoots them down, leaving the roses raining around Osborne and Lechter. It's easily one of the most awesome scenes in 3rd, with its music and presentation and everything.

The scene in question is actually part of a Translation Tuesday that I'm going to be working on soon, once Guan's work on the translation is finished and we can tackle the editing on it. So it should be in the lineup in a few weeks.

Oh my god the exam in Cold Steel is totally different from Persona @_@ !

In Persona you just need to pay attention in every class and they'll give you the answers, here you have to activate seek out the answers >_< and it doesn't help that most of them aren't general real world questions lol

hawk2025

In Persona you just need to pay attention in every class and they'll give you the answers, here you have to activate seek out the answers >_< and it doesn't help that most of them aren't general real world questions lol

Yeah, so about that...

Is there a simple and easy list of all questions for reference somewhere online? I don't want to bother with not maximizing my points as I play through the game :(

google "the legend of heroes cold steel midterm" manage to find the answers posted on gamefaqs :p

Top Bottom