• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

That floor 3 boss in the Old Schoolhouse was no joke. Up until now I've only had a few battles that really pushed me, but that fight was kicking my ass for awhile.

So glad they get rid of the school uniforms in the second game. Jusis and Laura look so good and perfect with their new outfits.

Yeah, most characters have styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle with their clothing. Irina somehow, someway makes whatever the hell her get up is work.

That floor 3 boss in the Old Schoolhouse was no joke. Up until now I've only had a few battles that really pushed me, but that fight was kicking my ass for awhile.

Laura/Emmaed it ,Rean plays Time Mage, and it too got one-shot. The lack of ailment resists did make it take forever.

Erheller

I'm in Chapter 3 now, and [Chapter 3 spoilers and SC Chapter 8 spoilers]
holy crap it's eyepatch dude! Now I'm certain Mueller's going to show up if his uncle did.

Also, I just realized that stacking different debuff quartz is really effective on characters with crowd-control arts. I'm not taking any damage at all in most fights because all the enemies end up sealed, frozen, or petrified. I really should have started on hard mode.

Dio

Banned
Why wouldn't be PS4/Vita like Ys 8?

Because it's a direct sequel to a game on a previous platform? It wouldn't be the first time people would be pissed they had to buy a new console to experience the final title of a trilogy (if they only had a PS3.) I'm not saying they should make a PS3 version - I think it should be PS4 version only if they really plan on making it an actual major graphical upgrade - but I'm looking at it from the perspective of traditionally having the duologies available on a single platform only and not having to branch out and buy a new console.

Common falcom how hard is it to program a Machias model that doesn't have gasses for swimming in a pool? Or Laura without her hair bow?

Dio

Banned
Common falcom how hard is it to program a Machias model that doesn't have gasses for swimming in a pool? Or Laura without her hair bow?

That's not really programming, that'd be just making a new model and would be the artist's job. The answer is most likely budget, time, and the new engine/development of full 3D Kiseki. It's probably the same reason why the animations are so crap compared to Cold Steel 2.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's a direct sequel to a game on a previous platform? It wouldn't be the first time people would be pissed they had to buy a new console to experience the final title of a trilogy (if they only had a PS3.) I'm not saying they should make a PS3 version - I think it should be PS4 version only if they really plan on making it an actual major graphical upgrade - but I'm looking at it from the perspective of traditionally having the duologies available on a single platform only and not having to branch out and buy a new console.

Not releasing a PS4 version would be sort of a middle finger to XSEED. Falcom requests for them to release CS1 and 2 because the platforms the games are on have limited time left, then they go and release the followup as a PS3/Vita game in 2016 or 2017 that is effectively unlocalizable.

Outside of releasing on all three platforms, they are putting themselves in an awkward position.

Dio

Banned
Not releasing a PS4 version would be sort of a middle finger to XSEED. Falcom requests for them to release CS1 and 2 because the platforms the games are on have limited time left, then they go and release the followup as a PS3/Vita game in 2016 or 2017 that is effectively unlocalizable.

Outside of releasing on all three platforms, they are putting themselves in an awkward position.

Yeah, fair, I'm also looking at it based on their own statement that there's a graphical leap in the works for Cold Steel 3 - and considering how CS1 runs on PS3/Vita, I seriously wonder how much being on Vita will hold back the supposed upgrade if it's really PS4/Vita.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, fair, I'm also looking at it based on their own statement that there's a graphical leap in the works for Cold Steel 3 - and considering how CS1 runs on PS3/Vita, I seriously wonder how much being on Vita will hold back the supposed upgrade if it's really PS4/Vita.

It sounds like CS2 improves over CS1, and TX over CS2. So they might have a little room for improvement on top of that, or at least have CS3 at about TX level.

TR_

At least you can take off glasses in the next game by using accessories menu. Not sure about the first game tho.

I haven't gotten used to everybody's voices yet so every time Alisa speaks I half expect to hear Wendee Lee. She just looks like the kind of character that would be voiced by Wendee, haha.

Major graphical upgrade by Falcom standards would probably at best, put the series's graphical prowess at Tales level.

At worst, I'd see CS3 being PS4/PS3, and I expect that it will be on Vita as well, seeing as they've been improving the overall performance of their engine from CS1 till Xanadu. Just use the Vita-low res models and stuff.

jackal27

Banned
Well it has a school setting a like Persona and bonding events, it also gets going a bit faster then Sky did imo. If you don't like the lengthy dialogue Cold Steel is similar to Sky in terms of the slower pace.

And just stick with Sky, it's slow opening really pays off at the end

Hmmm... Yeah it's not the lengthy dialogue that bothers me, especially because it's written well. It's just the... Nothing happening. The combat isn't really grabbing me either. What's the combat like in Trails of Cold Steel?

Major graphical upgrade by Falcom standards would probably at best, put the series's graphical prowess at Tales level.

At worst, I'd see CS3 being PS4/PS3, and I expect that it will be on Vita as well, seeing as they've been improving the overall performance of their engine from CS1 till Xanadu. Just use the Vita-low res models and stuff.

You can expect almost every Playstation game coming out of Japan to be on Vita right now. Sales are split 50/50 between PS4/Vita these days, with the Vita having twice the install base. It just makes little sense for them to ignore it, especially with a property like this.

Eusis

The problem with SC is that not enough people who bought FC actually finished it, as you can see from achievement stats. But that's how Steam is. As more people finish FC and SCs price drops, it'll sell more. More awareness because of Cold Steel helps as well and don't forget that FC is also still selling decent amounts when it's on sale.

The problem is only that 3rd makes no sense unless a good number of people finished SC. But I wouldn't only look at SCs numbers and say everything is doomed.
If it helps there are people like me who double dipped and finished on PSP but never on PC. And have gone right to SC with someone else's save rather than waiting to grab it, but I might well be in the minority (or worse, most of those who got it on PC are in my position afterall.)

EDIT: Also noticed at least one of those VAs (Kira Buckland) is also one of the possible voices for the MC in Xenoblade Chronicles X, for whoever cares.

Hmmm... Yeah it's not the lengthy dialogue that bothers me, especially because it's written well. It's just the... Nothing happening. The combat isn't really grabbing me either. What's the combat like in Trails of Cold Steel?

Its trails in the sky's combat engine but in 3d but with the ability to skip spell animations and a new link mechanic and a simplified quartz system and some other qol improvements that makes it generally more enjoyable to play.

FWIW like Sky Cold Steel has a similar structure where each arc generally starts out as "help people in new place -> bigger problem arrises -> take care of problem" the difference of course being that cold steel spends the first half of each chapter back at the school setting where you can bond with classmates and take on side quests if you want.

I still think sky is worth stick with especially if you have an interest in cold steel since the world builds and stuff that happens latter in sky/sc is mentioned in cold steel. Cold steel was designed to be a new starting point though so don't be afraid to jump to it before finishing sky.

Falcom games tend to start slightly slow and tropey. That way, later on in the game when the world is in the balance and insane shit is happening, you look back at the way things used to be with a certain sense of nostalgia and progression.

FC and CS definitely start slower than most games and there are some eye-roll tropey moments, but it pays off later on.

Dresden

I haven't gotten used to everybody's voices yet so every time Alisa speaks I half expect to hear Wendee Lee. She just looks like the kind of character that would be voiced by Wendee, haha.

Took a while to get used to her voice, along with Rean's. And Laura always sounds awkward.

If I chose a party based on the dub alone i'd prob just hit up elliott, sara, and fie.

Got to the start of Chapter 3's field study.
It was cool to see Zechs Vander again. Although he only appeared briefly in SC, he did leave an impression on me, and it's nice to see him get some more screen time. I figured that he might be there once I heard about how there was some famous general stationed out there. Hopefully Mueller will also be appearing at some point.

It's nice to be getting a lot more about the family situations for Gaius and Alisa now. While Alisa's struggles with her mom seem a little basic right now, I'll be curious to see how that will play out. And the Nord Highlands look really beautiful.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't know if anyone has ever played Final Fantasy XI, but the way the Trails series is set up reminds me of the three nations from that game. Liberl = Windurst with its more natural and laid back setting, Crossbell = Bastok with its technological advancement and independent attitude, and Erebonia = San D'oria with its long history and knights and noble houses. The parallels are pretty strong.

I don't know if anyone has ever played Final Fantasy XI, but the way the Trails series is set up reminds me of the three nations from that game. Liberl = Windurst with its more natural and laid back setting, Crossbell = Bastok with its technological advancement and independent attitude, and Erebonia = San D'oria with its long history and knights and noble houses. The parallels are pretty strong.

Who's Calvard?

jackal27

Banned
Its trails in the sky's combat engine but in 3d but with the ability to skip spell animations and a new link mechanic and a simplified quartz system and some other qol improvements that makes it generally more enjoyable to play.

FWIW like Sky Cold Steel has a similar structure where each arc generally starts out as "help people in new place -> bigger problem arrises -> take care of problem" the difference of course being that cold steel spends the first half of each chapter back at the school setting where you can bond with classmates and take on side quests if you want.

I still think sky is worth stick with especially if you have an interest in cold steel since the world builds and stuff that happens latter in sky/sc is mentioned in cold steel. Cold steel was designed to be a new starting point though so don't be afraid to jump to it before finishing sky.

Yeah I probably will stick with Sky since I've already paid for it, but I'm just liking the look of Cold Steel a lot more so I'm tempted. No harm in waiting though I suppose.

Droplet

General question about the plot. I'm on the last chapter of Sky SC but haven't finished since I'm away on break, and I'm on chapter 6 of CS.
Is the 'incident' everyone keeps referring to the orbal shutdown part where Erebonia was about to go to war with Liberl or something that happens in the final chapter that I haven't seen?

Also, (chapter 6 spoiler)
man does Mueller's model look...off. Him not having a voice is really depressing too.

This game is also doing a good job of showing me that I've been pronouncing everything from Sky wrong.

General question about the plot. I'm on the last chapter of Sky SC but haven't finished since I'm away on break, and I'm on chapter 6 of CS.
Is the 'incident' everyone keeps referring to the orbal shutdown part where Erebonia was about to go to war with Liberl or something that happens in the final chapter that I haven't seen?

The incident refers to the
the one in FC where Cassius had to disappear for the whole game to go to Erebonia to help the Bracer branches there repel off Jaeger attacks orchestrated by Weissman and Campanella.

Basically for the sake of ensuring all the plot shenanigans in FC proceeded as smoothly as possible,
Ouroboros orchestrated a massive attack at Erebonia Bracer branches to the level that forces Cassius's hand.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
the one in FC where Cassius had to disappear for the whole game to go to Erebonia to help the Bracer branches there repel off Jaeger attacks orchestrated by Weissman and Campanella.

Basically for the sake of ensuring all the plot shenanigans in FC proceeded as smoothly as possible,
Ouroboros orchestrated a massive attack at Erebonia Bracer branches to the level that forces Cassius's hand.
There's two incidents they refer to in the game. One is "the crisis in Liberl" which was the
orbal shutdown phenomenon and the appearance of the Liber Ark
, and the other is referred to off-hand, mostly as "two years ago," which is what you're describing here.

Erheller

I really didn't like the combat in Trails in the Sky (I ended up avoiding most encounters). I really like the combat in Trails of Cold Steel.

I'm not a huge fan of the simplified orbment system, but the animation skipping and other quality-of-life improvements make a huge difference.

Eusis

I like the combat system in Trails in the Sky when it's actually a more significant fight, IE monster elimination quests or bosses. For average grunts it's just somewhat slow filler as you travel, so I kind of prefer to farm shiny poms a bit before moving on.

This game is also doing a good job of showing me that I've been pronouncing everything from Sky wrong.

Apparently I've been pronouncing Liberl wrong this whole time, and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to get used to saying it the correct way. :(

Droplet

There's two incidents they refer to in the game. One is "the crisis in Liberl" which was the
orbal shutdown phenomenon and the appearance of the Liberl Ark
, and the other is referred to off-hand, mostly as "two years ago," which is what you're describing here.

I see, the two years ago thing is what I was thinking of. Since they didn't go into detail I just assumed it was something greater, but that makes sense.

Apparently I've been pronouncing Liberl wrong this whole time, and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to get used to saying it the correct way. :(

Right?! I also pronounced (chapter 4)
Olivert with a silent t, like "Olive-air".
I like to think I was being fancy.

Currently in chapter 5 first field day. Just wondering about how many more hours I have till I Finish the game? Just wondering since My winter break is ending soon and it's back to school for me :/ prob won't have time to power through FC and SC in a week haha, nonetheless will be playing through them throughout the semester if I am able to.

Got to the start of Chapter 3's field study.
It was cool to see Zechs Vander again. Although he only appeared briefly in SC, he did leave an impression on me, and it's nice to see him get some more screen time. I figured that he might be there once I heard about how there was some famous general stationed out there. Hopefully Mueller will also be appearing at some point.

It's nice to be getting a lot more about the family situations for Gaius and Alisa now. While Alisa's struggles with her mom seem a little basic right now, I'll be curious to see how that will play out. And the Nord Highlands look really beautiful.

I get the impression that Gaius
is going to be the only one with a good family background, lol. "I came here to learn about Erebonia and bring the knowhow my people need back to them, but I end up in dysfunction junction.
lol

Currently in chapter 5 first field day. Just wondering about how many more hours I have till I Finish the game? Just wondering since My winter break is ending soon and it's back to school for me :/ prob won't have time to power through FC and SC in a week haha, nonetheless will be playing through them throughout the semester if I am able to.

It should at least take you a day or two to power through and finish it.

Famassu

You really should stick to it. The first 2-3 chapters are mostly initial character introductions/development & setup & world-building stuff, but some decent stuff still happens. It ALL pays off by the end of FC and even more so in Second Chapter.

That said, Cold Steel does have some QOL improvements in battles that make them flow better.

Xenoflare

CS2 spoilers maybe?

I wonder how CS3 is going to handle the
amount of playable characters, CS2 kinda got overwhelmed by it, it's kinda difficult when you want to make all 18(20) characters unique in stats and orbment makeup.

I fully expect the final Trails game to bring all characters back for a crazy huge party extravaganza

This.

latest

SolVanderlyn

I fully expect the final Trails game to bring all characters back for a crazy huge party extravaganza
Depending on how this was pulled off, it could be amazing or the most contrived fanservice of all time. If we played each group of heroes doing their own thing, for example, that would be amazing. If they all gathered on a giant airship and said "take me with you" and then a party select screen popped up... yeah, I never want to do that again.

Depending on how this could be pulled off, it could be amazing or the most contrived fanservice of all time. If we played each group of heroes doing their own thing, for example, that would be amazing. If they all gathered on a giant airship and said "take me with you" and then a party select screen popped up... yeah, I never want to do that again.

I just hope Falcom knows that a curated experience is the best Falcom experience, and they don't overindulge us with options.

Fixed party members for each story beat, and tell the story of that group of characters at each time.

Top Bottom