• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

The Sara/Neidhart banter is so much fun, I wished Neidhart could've been a bigger part of Class VII... Actually the same is true for the entire faculty. It's a pretty likable crew of teachers, even that up-his-arse Vice Principal.
Agreed! In fact, any banter with Sara is great!

Do graphics improvements are very noticeable in the PS3 version vs the Vita version or do they look virtually the same?

Check this screenshot post by Gu4n: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190325297&postcount=553

jb1234

This is a common complaint. Rest easy, because
both situations are resolved fairly quickly and in a very non-tropey way and the characters become significantly more three dimensional as the story progresses. I would say it's about midway through Chapter 2 that the characters start to shine.

Yeah, right after I wrote that, there was a scene in the inn which had the party members actually having a conversation about their motivations and dreams, which I think did wonders for characterization. The Rean/Laura scene after that about
how damaged he is (and has to work it out himself)
was a little stilted but I appreciate that they went for it.

In chapter 4, got a quartz that recovers EP while walking (fast, too), and a 200 MP spell that summons a giant damaging and stat-reducing skull over almost the whole battlefield. Threw both on Emma, and suddenly she's my schoolhouse mvp.

This game really addresses the issues I had with TitS FC's battle system. gives the player a lot more flexibility in dealing with varied situations.

I just finished my first run through of the game. Damn, that ending. Fuuuuuuuuck, please give me CS II right now! Argh!

This game has totally sucked me in. I got it on day of release, and I've put 65 hours into it! Haha. I'm even considering going for the platinum.

Endgame Spoiler stuff/General Spoiler Stuff: Do Not click if you haven't finished, please!

I honestly love how much of a role Oliver ended up having in the game, and how much he is just the same as he was from TitS FC/SC. Also, the Encore song being Whereabouts of Light made me choke up a bit. If it had had a harmonica accompaniment I probably would have gotten misty-eyed. But damn on the Divine Knights. That last battle was probably the only really frustrating thing for me, just because of the timing/mechanics being so new in terms of format. It really makes me curious about how significant of a role that will be in CS II, but when Rean said "Valimar, the Ashen Knight!" I was just like fuck yeah! Seriously. What a way to close it. Argh. Great fucking game. I love the cast, the progression, the development of each of their dynamics amidst each other. I'm not 'surprised', per say, because TitS gave me that expectation, but they really sold it fantastically well here.

Spoilers over. Dammit. I want the rest of the games in this series in my Vita. Or PS4, whichever.

I felt the same, I was seriously thinking about importing part 2 yesterday but instead just watched a demo of the first hour of 2 as well as a few other minor things (opening, its sooooo good) and now I'm working on platinuming 1 I thought I might have to do 3 playthroughs but I think now that I know what I'm doing I can do it all in this second playthrough on nightmare, only took me about 2 hours to get through all of the prologue and chapter 1 with the skip function so its not to bad at least.

Just received the LE! I think I'll start the game even if I didn't finish Trails in the Sky, since my PSP is dead and I'll need a couple of month before I can purchase another :/

vall03

Fuuuuuu

I just put two and two together and realized a spoiler for both Sen 1&2. I won't say the specifics but I just realized something because of a character wallpaper from Sen 2. Damn, and here I was so sure that I'm fine with just viewing all those wallpapers from Falcom... *sigh*

Just finished this at 74 hours. Aside from feeling that the difficulty was kind of weird (game started out pretty tough and ended up very easy), I really loved it. CS2 has shot right up to the top of my most anticipated games list- I can't wait to see where this story goes.

Varion

I just finished my first run through of the game. Damn, that ending. Fuuuuuuuuck, please give me CS II right now! Argh!

This game has totally sucked me in. I got it on day of release, and I've put 65 hours into it! Haha. I'm even considering going for the platinum.

Endgame Spoiler stuff/General Spoiler Stuff: Do Not click if you haven't finished, please!

I honestly love how much of a role Oliver ended up having in the game, and how much he is just the same as he was from TitS FC/SC.

Spoilers over. Dammit. I want the rest of the games in this series in my Vita. Or PS4, whichever.

Honestly, one of my favourite things was how different he is. He's lovable enough as the fool he is in FC/SC, but there's really a lot more to him as a character than that, and Sen showed that really well. He still messes around when he gets the chance, and really hasn't changed in that regard, but after FC I doubt many people would have expected you'd one day be sitting around a table having a serious discussion with him about Erebonia's future like you do in Ch4. He'd be one of my favourites in the series even without the serious elements, but I loved how he ended up becoming more than just 'the party clown.'

Really happy everyone who's finished the game in here seems to have enjoyed it, though. Hopefully English-speaking fans should have a shorter wait for part 2 than the rest of us did, at least.

Xenoflare

Let's play "find that voice"

I'm pretty sure that Sharon is Mela Lee, there is no mistake

Rufus sounds like D.C Douglas... A bit

I think Kaiji Tang confirmed he's Gaius

Rufus is DC Douglas for sure, I was like "oh hi Wesker"

And they confirmed Gaius va in the new localization blog

Xenoflare

Rufus is DC Douglas for sure, I was like "oh hi Wesker"

I was pretty uncertain until the end of chapter 2, and I went hey Wesker as well.

Laura is new Margaret (persona) Marisha Ray
Alisa sounds like Melissa Fahn

I'll throw in more as the game progresses. I love doing this lol

It's funny...every time I read about this game online whether it's here or gamefaqs or reddit or anywhere really everyone says [insert team] is so broken! Yet that team is always different. One post I'll read Machias is a god. Other posts will say having Alisa in the party makes everything easy. Others say the same about Emma. Etc...

The only one that is consistently on every "broken team" list is Laura. To me that makes it seem like there are lots of viable options. I'm on chapter 2 and still unsure who I want to main other than Rean/Laura. Alisa seems useful for CP reasons but she's kind of bad for almost everything else. Emma seems good all-round magic user that I can use for healing too. Machias I don't know what to make of yet. Fie seems strong and fast but I'm not sure how useful her buffs would be in the game.

It's funny...every time I read about this game online whether it's here or gamefaqs or reddit or anywhere really everyone says [insert team] is so broken! Yet that team is always different. One post I'll read Machias is a god. Other posts will say having Alisa in the party makes everything easy. Others say the same about Emma. Etc...

The only one that is consistently on every "broken team" list is Laura. To me that makes it seem like there are lots of viable options. I'm on chapter 2 and still unsure who I want to main other than Rean/Laura. Alisa seems useful for CP reasons but she's kind of bad for almost everything else. Emma seems good all-round magic user that I can use for healing too. Machias I don't know what to make of yet. Fie seems strong and fast but I'm not sure how useful her buffs would be in the game.

Someone earlier was talking about how weak characters felt in FC; now ALL those restrictions are off!

I was pretty uncertain until the end of chapter 2, and I went hey Wesker as well.

Laura is new Margaret (persona) Marisha Ray
Alisa sounds like Melissa Fahn

I'll throw in more as the game progresses. I love doing this lol

Alisa is absolutely Erica Lindbeck. The voice is extremely similar to the one she used for Kotoko in Ultra Despair Girls.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Niethardt HAS to be Cam Clarke, AKA Liquid Snake or Kratos from Tales of Symphonia.
AKA the best English voice actor

Dio

Banned

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dQPgbootu6

Sean Chiplock (Rean in this game) is a treasure. He stopped by 4chan and did a couple recording pre-release when Trails of Cold Steel was about to drop.

localization blog 3 said:
Sean was an interesting choice because he has a distinctive voice that fits Rean’s character type, but can bring forth a level of intensity that JRPG dubs usually fail to sell me on when the chips are down and their protagonists need to be really serious. While writing, I had someone like Yuri Lowenthal in my head (because really, he’s the JRPGest voice mankind has thus far offered up in our history) but Sean sold me on his take right away, nailing Rean’s thoughtful narrations that bookend most chapters as well as the “shit just got real” Rean from certain points later in the story. In addition to bringing his burning soul to Rean again in Trails of Cold Steel II, I have a feeling he’s a talent you’ll be seeing more and more around the industry in the next couple years.

Apparently the physical edition has a list of VAs listed on the manual

Goddamn it this just makes me hate EB games more.

All it has is a list not who they play, from the ps3 manual

Ben Diskin
Carrie Keranen
Cassandra Lee Morris
D C Douglas
Edward Bosco
Erica Lindbeck
Jessica Straus
Kaiji Tang
Kimberly Brooks
Lucien Dodge
Marisha Ray
Megan Harvey
Patrick Seitz
Anthony Landor
Rachel Kimsey
Rena Strober
Sean Chiplock
Derek Stephen Prince
Xander Mobus
Kira Buckland

Xenoflare

All it has is a list not who they play, from the ps3 manual

Ben Diskin
Carrie Keranen
Cassandra Lee Morris
D C Douglas
Edward Bosco
Erica Lindbeck
Jessica Straus
Kaiji Tang
Kimberly Brooks
Lucien Dodge
Marisha Ray
Megan Harvey
Patrick Seitz
Anthony Landor
Rachel Kimsey
Rena Strober
Sean Chiplock
Derek Stephen Prince
Xander Mobus
Kira Buckland

Mela Lee is not on there and I swear to god Sharon is voiced by her. I guess not all actors chose to get credited, which is common

Oh yeah, Fie is Cassandra, no mistake on that either

Mgrgrgr

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel like out of all of Class VII, Jusis and Fie have the best VAs. They captured their personalities almost perfectly. The only one that I think falls behind the others is Sara. It's almost like she has a slight lisp. I don't mean to sound mean, but she also sounds almost like a middle aged woman at times.
Millium's
voice actor appropriately reflects just how annoying that character is, so kudos to them.

Dio

Banned
I feel like out of all of Class VII, Jusis and Fie have the best VAs. They captured their personalities almost perfectly.

Even better, really. Sometimes, Fie's voice acting was so good I thought it elevated her character past what I would have thought of her with a cookie cutter 'kuudere' Japanese voice.

All the voice actors were pretty great even if a couple of them had weird little slip ups (see: Sara)

Xenoflare

Even better, really. Sometimes, Fie's voice acting was so good I thought it elevated her character past what I would have thought of her with a cookie cutter 'kuudere' Japanese voice.

Yeah, nice not having that "anime gloss" over her voice. In fact this game sounded far better than I imagined.

Sometimes I just can't get over the fact that Laura sounds older than Sara. Which is why I it took me a while to get use to the latter, Sara's pitch is a bit high

I have a super dumb question. Where the fuck is the weapon shop? I have yet to purchase a weapon and I'm in chapter 2. Is there one in this city? Where is it at the school? I must be blind...

Also does it make sense to buy anything for anyone other than Rean given that character equipment gets upgraded automatically over time?

Taruranto

Of course Elise
wants to fuck her brother. And everyone seems ok with it. =_=
Slay classy, Japan.

I have a super dumb question. Where the fuck is the weapon shop? I have yet to purchase a weapon and I'm in chapter 2. Is there one in this city? Where is it at the school? I must be blind...

Also does it make sense to buy anything for anyone other than Rean given that character equipment gets upgraded automatically over time?

It's in the cafeteria/student council building. The NPC just left to the entrance.

SolVanderlyn

A lot of people say Laura's voice isn't as good as the rest, but I think it's appropriately husky for someone meant to be physically powerful and delivered in a manner that reflects her super serious nature very well.

Of course Elise
Slay classy, Japan.

It's in the cafeteria/student council building. The NPC just left to the entrance.
They're
not blood related, but yeah, still uncomfortably weird. Gwyn, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse. The Estelle/Joshua situation was different because they lived together for five years, but Elise and Rean grew up together. Eugh.

Xenoflare

Prioritize Rean, and the weapon shops in chapter 2 is Christine's(?) Galleria on the second floor.

At school it's on the first floor of the student union building

Xeteh

Student Union in the school.

Xenoflare

A lot of people say Laura's voice isn't as good as the rest, but I think it's appropriately husky for someone meant to be physically powerful and delivered in a manner that reflects her super serious nature very well.

I like Laura's voice. The delivery is pretty on spot, the factor of familiarity is a plus for me too. She improved a lot in Persona Q

Of course Elise
Slay classy, Japan.

Prioritize Rean, and the weapon shops in chapter 2 is Christine's(?) Galleria on the second floor.

At school it's on the first floor of the student union building

Student Union in the school.
jesus, they could haven't put weapons shops in more obscure places lol. Thanks for the help peeps.

jb1234

The only voice I don't really care for is Alisa's, who has that high-pitched anime screech that I can't stand in JRPGs.

SolVanderlyn

Chapter 6

Mueller! Ah, I wish he and Olivert were playable in this game. I love seeing the characters from Sky return in 3D. The cameos/references seem deliberately paced so that you never forget that these games share the same world. Also love the Cassius Bright references - he's treated as an appropriately world famous character. As an aside, I wonder if we'll ever find out who the other three S Rank Bracers are.

Xeteh

The only voice I don't really care for is Alisa's, who has that high-pitched anime screech that I can't stand in JRPGs.

Same. She sounds like an eloquent 5 year old.

Fie's voice is by far the best in my opinion. Emma's not bad. Rean, Gaius, Jusis and Machias are all solid as well.

Gu4n

Chapter 6

Mueller! Ah, I wish he and Olivert were playable in this game. I love seeing the characters from Sky return in 3D. The cameos/references seem deliberately paced so that you never forget that these games share the same world. Also love the Cassius Bright references - he's treated as an appropriately world famous character. As an aside, I wonder if we'll ever find out who the other three S Rank Bracers are.
Equally interesting to learn is what happened for those other bracers to earn themselves a prestige S rank. We know why (FC spoiler)
Cassius
got his, so the other three S rank bracers must have been involved in other international crises we have no yet heard of.

Vamphuntr

Of course Elise
Slay classy, Japan.

This is part of the only thing I don't like in this game. Way too much perverted stuff. I just laugh how they are outraged at the
nonchalant head patting
haha. Everything about Emma is about her breasts. If you study with her Rean cannot study because he's mesmerized by them.. When she climbs ladder Fie believes they are the roots of or her problem. And when you talk to NPCs they comment about their size.

SolVanderlyn

Equally interesting to learn is what happened for those other bracers to earn themselves a prestige S rank. We know why (FC spoiler)
Cassius
got his, so the other three S rank bracers must have been involved in other international crises we have no yet heard of.
A part of me hopes that one of them is related to (3rd spoiler)
The Pillar of Salt incident
somehow, although I think it's more likely that they were involved in conflicts we haven't heard about yet. Trails has been a bit overly ambitious with its breadcrumbs, I think - there's the Sept-Terrion treasures, the Enforcers and the rest of Ouroboros, the Gralsritter, the other three S rank bracers, the ancient Zemurian civilization, etc. There's just so many unknowns and so much teasing at what's to come that it's hard to wonder how they'll ever reveal it all, or even if they will. Calvard, which is likely the next setting we'll see, is also just as big as Erebonia is and over the course of two 50+ hour games we only went to half of the country, and may not even visit the rest. It's amazing how much they've set up, and if they can pull off the reveals as well as they've pulled off the building blocks, I think it will cement Trails as a marvel in game storytelling. However, as a Suikoden fan, I'm inclined to worry about untold plot threads.

This is also all coming from someone who's only played the English games in the series, so maybe a lot of this has been answered elsewhere. I get the feeling much of it hasn't, though.

Gu4n

A part of me hopes that one of them is related to (3rd spoiler)
The Pillar of Salt incident
somehow, although I think it's more likely that they were involved in conflicts we haven't heard about yet. Trails has been a bit overly ambitious with its breadcrumbs, I think - there's the Sept-Terrion treasures, the Enforcers and the rest of Ouroboros, the Gralsritter, the other three S rank bracers, the ancient Zemurian civilization, etc. There's just so many unknowns and so much teasing at what's to come that it's hard to wonder how they'll ever reveal it all, or even if they will. It's amazing how much they've set up, and if they can pull off the reveals as well as they've pulled off the building blocks, I think it will cement Trails as a marvel in storytelling.

This is also all coming from someone who's only played the English games in the series, so maybe a lot of this has been answered elsewhere. I get the feeling much of it hasn't, though.
Cold Steel and Cold Steel II only add more breadcrumbs (although I would rather call them loafs), like (Chapter 2)
mentions of animism and fairies (based on her ears, Towa could be very well a descendant of the fairy species)
(Chapter 3)
the statue in Nord Highlands
, (Chapter 4)
Rean's burning chest/white hair/super saiya-jin mode
, (Chapter 5)
the tale around Rianne Sandlot
, et cetera.

Shouta

Of course Elise
Slay classy, Japan.

Well, considering their situation they probably don't think anything of it. lol The situation as a trope is annoying but in their situation, it makes sense.

This is part of the only thing I don't like in this game. Way too much perverted stuff. I just laugh how they are outraged at the
nonchalant head patting
haha. Everything about Emma is about her breasts. If you study with her Rean cannot study because he's mesmerized by them.. When she climbs ladder Fie believes they are the roots of or her problem. And when you talk to NPCs they comment about their size.

It started happening regularly in Falcom games with Ao but it's not totally new. Thankfully, it's relatively standard fare and it's mostly stuff that's been around for decades.

SolVanderlyn

Hatsuu posted on her blog all of the voice actors that they can name:

http://hatsuu.tumblr.com/post/136423971086/hi-i-dont-know-if-i-should-ask-but-ive-been

Everyone that's not on this list requested to remain anonymous.
If you want more proof that Niethardt is 99% likely to be Cam Clarke, here.

Kratos Aurion

Niethardt

Cold Steel and Cold Steel II only add more breadcrumbs (although I would rather call them loafs), like (Chapter 2)
mentions of animism and fairies (based on her ears, Towa could be very well a descendant of the fairy species)
(Chapter 3)
the statue in Nord Highlands
, (Chapter 4)
Rean's burning chest/white hair/super saiya-jin mode
, (Chapter 5)
the tale around Rianne Sandlot
, et cetera.
Yeah, I noticed these were all setups for something bigger. I was hoping most of this would be covered in CSII. Even if it isn't, the fact that CSIII will exist at some point is hopeful.

Welp finally decided to pick this up, digital since physical was a bust, and I just finished the prologue but I am enjoying the experience thus far!

Vamphuntr

It started happening regularly in Falcom games with Ao but it's not totally new. Thankfully, it's relatively standard fare and it's mostly stuff that's been around for decades.

It's not enough to turn me off completely because it's still not in the creepy territory but I'm a bit disappointed. Apparently the Evolution versions of Sora no Kiseki Vita has much more.

Top Bottom