• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

A super sentai team-up with Trails characters? Well that'd be an amusing experience, but wouldn't really work in this setting.

I think a full-scale Trails Avengers moment would be like a continent-scale madness anyway.

I'd think Chapter 6's equivalent of SC, but instead of going to towers, respective members of each country resolve the Ouroboros shenanigans of each country, with a strike force of selected members from all the games (all the main MCs of all the games, etc) attack the final boss's final dungeon.

What I think would be a good Trails finale would be a trilogy of something like this.

Part 1 : Multi-country standalone story with all the teams of the previous games getting involved in Ouroboros's final master plan.
Part 2 : Some story tidbit that allows all of the teams of the previous games to come together unite as a singular alliance. Doesn't have to be all of them together in the same airship, but all of them united as one anyway.
Part 3 : Final fight spanning the entire Zemuria continent.

Or it could just be 2 games, with Part 2 & Part 3 together.

Xenoflare

I think a full-scale Trails Avengers moment would be like a continent-scale madness anyway.

I'd think Chapter 6's equivalent of SC, but instead of going to towers, respective members of each country resolve the Ouroboros shenanigans of each country, with a strike force of selected members from all the games (all the main MCs of all the games, etc) attack the final boss's final dungeon.

What I think would be a good Trails finale would be a trilogy of something like this.

Part 1 : Multi-country standalone story with all the teams of the previous games getting involved in Ouroboros's final master plan.
Part 2 : Some story tidbit that allows all of the teams of the previous games to come together unite as a singular alliance. Doesn't have to be all of them together in the same airship, but all of them united as one anyway.
Part 3 : Final fight spanning the entire Zemuria continent.

Or it could just be 2 games, with Part 2 & Part 3 together.

Part of the reason I love about this series is how rich the entire universe is, but at the same time I sure hope is doesn't get too big for itself to finish.

If it's a "final showdown" on the entire continent it's going to take at least two games to build up.

Psxphile

Finished Chapter 2. Had some trouble with that last pair of bosses, I need to get away from the idea of hoarding my CP and/or waiting for a Critical Turn and just let loose with S-Crafts right away. Nothing worse than having a full CP bar, getting knocked out by an attack, and seeing that bar drain to zero. :( As a result the fight went on way longer than it needed to.

Finished Chapter 2. Had some trouble with that last pair of bosses, I need to get away from the idea of hoarding my CP and/or waiting for a Critical Turn and just let loose with S-Crafts right away. Nothing worse than having a full CP bar, getting knocked out by an attack, and seeing that bar drain to zero. :( As a result the fight went on way longer than it needed to.

Yeah what I do now is if I can feel a boss fight coming up, I'll stock all of my characters that could do SC to max 200 CP, go in and just blow it all upfront.If you have three characters it's almost an instant win, four characters would guarantee it.

Question, which is better?

200CP S-Crafts vs 170CP S-Crafts with 25% STR/ATS ? Ideally you want both but with characters that die too easily every turn is a risk.

Alucrid

Banned
I haven't found a shop for items but you can buy an Analyze Quartz after you finish the quest in the engineering building.

ahh totally didn't look under the exchange option, just the shop, thanks. and yeah, definitely didn't see battle scope at the union building

Ephesos

Neo Member
I've heard / read that the UI / font-size on vita is rather small. is this really a problem or are people exaggerating?

Xenoflare

I've heard / read that the UI / font-size on vita is rather small. is this really a problem or are people exaggerating?

It takes a while to get used to, vita only problem. The UI is not optimized for the Vita. It looks like a remote play game if you get what I'm saying.

It's bad enough that the expressions of the characters on the status hud in battle are hard to read. The status hud outside of battle are downright tiny.

But it's only the HUD. The text in dialogues are fine

It surprised me how small some elements were when I first saw them, but after a few hours you won't notice it. It's not an issue imo.

vall03

Wow, a bit of minor spoilers but in SC, Muller commented on how the food in the Erebonia military sucks, and then now in Cold Steel, whatever he mentioned is the meal of Class VII lol. Little details like this makes me appreciate the series as a whole.

max_505

Wow, a bit of minor spoilers but in SC,
Muller commented on how the food in the Erebonia military sucks, and then now in Cold Steel, whatever he mentioned is the meal of Class VII lol. Little details like this makes me appreciate the series as a whole.

LOL I remember when
Mueller said that in SC. Can't remember the name of the dish, though.
I'll look out for this in the game.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll add spoiler tags to the quoted post just to be sure.

@vall03: You should still spoiler that. Some people are still new to the game/not as ahead and the spoiler function exists for a reason, especially since you're aware that it is a spoiler.

In chapter 6, just before the field study. Things seem to be picking up again, which is cool. Man in many ways this feels like a direct follow up to SC.
Olivier and Mueller on an Arseille class airship, but bigger. Things like that.

A couple of questions though as far as what happens in what games, or who is who in the stories:

The trade conferece
happens in Zero or Ao I presume? Osboune had a flashback of Olivier pointing a gun at him, I figure that we would have seen that scene in a previous game, because I have no idea what it is supposed to mean. It also seems odd to me that Osbourne is so chill with Olivert's plotting primarily because if not for him, the second invasion of Liberl would have happened.

As far as some side characters: Toval
is Toby from Carnelia right? The question that leaves is who is Sister Carnelia? I'm guessing that she is the nun I have seen on the cover of 3rd.

Dio

Banned
The trade conferece
happens in Zero or Ao I presume? Osboune had a flashback of Olivier pointing a gun at him, I figure that we would have seen that scene in a previous game, because I have no idea what it is supposed to mean. It also seems odd to me that Osbourne is so chill with Olivert's plotting primarily because if not for him, the second invasion of Liberl would have happened.

That flashback scene was from The 3rd.

Bladenic

Wow, a bit of minor spoilers but in SC, Muller commented on how the food in the Erebonia military sucks, and then now in Cold Steel, whatever he mentioned is the meal of Class VII lol. Little details like this makes me appreciate the series as a whole.

What was the name of it?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In chapter 6, just before the field study. Things seem to be picking up again, which is cool. Man in many ways this feels like a direct follow up to SC.
Olivier and Mueller on an Arseille class airship, but bigger. Things like that.

A couple of questions though as far as what happens in what games, or who is who in the stories:

The trade conferece

is Toby from Carnelia right? The question that leaves is who is Sister Carnelia? I'm guessing that she is the nun I have seen on the cover of 3rd.
Toval is a lead character in the Trails to Zero Prologue manga. It's only four chapters and it's been translated. The
Toby connection is revealed there, as well as Sister Carnelia's identity.

a1Tr2J6.jpg

Gu4n

If you really want to know about Carnelia,
see my avatar.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ohhh heyyyy. Now the very very beginning of the game is even dumber cause
its non-canon now since my levels were higher then what they had the party set at back then, among other differences!

Oh an Legram was pretty comfy an not needlessly large, nor was its highways. But ya know, battles in this game dun seem to be much for variety. Most battles are just the same type of baddie times 2 to 8. Kinda lame. At least fishing in this game doesn't suck like it does in almost every other game that has it!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ohhh heyyyy. Now the very very beginning of the game is even dumber cause
its non-canon now since my levels were higher then what they had the party set at back then, among other differences!

Oh an Legram was pretty comfy an not needlessly large, nor was its highways. But ya know, battles in this game dun seem to be much for variety. Most battles are just the same type of baddie times 2 to 8. Kinda lame. At least fishing in this game doesn't suck like it does in almost every other game that has it!
This segment bothered me a lot.
They were wearing summer uniforms and Millium and Crow were there with them, where that wasn't the case in the prologue. I guess it was Rean's dream, but still.

LOving the game so far. On chapter 2 at the mo and did the old school investigation. The rean elliot blond girl and Laura seem to be the best combo for me. Perfectly balanced

SolVanderlyn

On Chapter 6 now and my party is ridiculously broken. The quartz I'm finding in chests keep getting progressively amazing. Like, almost too amazing. Nothing poses a challenge now. This game has a serious reverse difficulty curve. I think hard mode would be a good recommendation to start the game on.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This segment bothered me a lot.
They were wearing summer uniforms and Millium and Crow were there with them, where that wasn't the case in the prologue. I guess it was Rean's dream, but still.
Yup yup! Also pretty sure
Alisa was there first time around so there was no Group A / B split at the time?

Just finished the game
my god that last scene with the mechs truly reminded me of xenogears
Really great cliff hanger and a preview taste of cold steel 2

Falcom did a great job of fixing the pacing issues in the beginning

Xeteh

Did I make my life by not following a guide for my first playthrough if I want to get a Platinum trophy for this game?

Final Chapter trophy questions:
How do you unlock the ability to ask someone to dance with you at the Festival? I would have figured it was Link level 5 but Alisa wasn't an option and she was maxed.

Did I make my life by not following a guide for my first playthrough if I want to get a Platinum trophy for this game?

How do you unlock the ability to ask someone to dance with you at the Festival? I would have figured it was Link level 5 but Alisa wasn't an option and she was maxed.

Same thing happen to me regarding the bonding
I think there's a invisible stat for bonding points

Did you use a bonding point to talk to her on the last free day?

I am on middle of Chapter 1 got to another town. Battle system is just so much fast than Trails in the Sky, its so much better. Dub voices are fine for me.

Characters have still a long way to develop. But I already love Sara <3 Such a troll.

Okay so I think its a combination of things...

I think you have to have their character page finished AND Link level 5, I gave every ticket I had to Alisa and I still had Jusis, Emma, and Laura available to get in my first playthrough and I had other people at link level 5 as well but not filled out in the character book and vice versa so I'm thinking its both, I have no way to confirm this for sure but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with going to a festival event with them and the tickets as far as I understand but you can use those if you are just shy of level 5.

Again not 100% sure on that but its the only thing that made sense to me for it.

Xeteh

Okay so I think its a combination of things...

I think you have to have their character page finished AND Link level 5, I gave every ticket I had to Alisa and I still had Jusis, Emma, and Laura available to get in my first playthrough and I had other people at link level 5 as well but not filled out in the character book and vice versa so I'm thinking its both, I have no way to confirm this for sure but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with going to a festival event with them and the tickets as far as I understand but you can use those if you are just shy of level 5.

Again not 100% sure on that but its the only thing that made sense to me for it.

Yeah, I had her character page filled out too. I thought that might be it as well so I had checked. I really want to know what triggers because going through again and still missing out on some would be frustrating.

evilalien

I just started playing this and I am having trouble understanding the zero arts AT bonus. Sometimes when I am on a zero arts turn, the arts button on the wheel is greyed out; why is this? I thought this AT effect was supposed to allow me to cast with no delay and no EP cost?

I just started playing this and I am having trouble understanding the zero arts AT bonus. Sometimes when I am on a zero arts turn, the arts button on the wheel is greyed out; why is this? I thought this AT effect was supposed to allow me to cast with no delay and no EP cost?

Were you muted? I never had any problems with Zero Arts during my playthrough, so that's the only explanation I can imagine.

Xeteh

Yeah, thats what it does. It doesn't block you out of Arts. Are you sure you weren't muted? Or was it a tutorial trying to get you to use another ability? I can't remember if the game actually has that or not.

evilalien

Were you muted? I never had any problems with Zero Arts during my playthrough, so that's the only explanation I can imagine.

Yeah, thats what it does. It doesn't block you out of Arts. Are you sure you weren't muted? Or was it a tutorial trying to get you to use another ability? I can't remember if the game actually has that or not.

No, definitely not muted. I'm just in the tutorial dungeon and I don't think any of the enemies can even inflict mute. All of my characters have arts equipped so I have no idea why the arts button would ever be greyed out. I'll have to see if it happens again.

Xeteh

No, definitely not muted. I'm just in the tutorial dungeon and I don't think any of the enemies can even inflict mute. All of my characters have arts equipped so I have no idea why the arts button would ever be greyed out. I'll have to see if it happens again.

Weird, never had that problem at any point throughout the game. Might just be a tutorial dungeon thing.

Dio

Banned
Now that I've played both SC and CS in succession, is it just me or did Cold Steel have less pacing issues than SC? I never felt like things were 'dragging' in the same way the low points of SC did. I mean sure, there were weird bits (Chapter 3) but still.

Now that I've played both SC and CS in succession, is it just me or did Cold Steel have less pacing issues than SC? I never felt like things were 'dragging' in the same way the low points of SC did. I mean sure, there were weird bits (Chapter 3) but still.

I think it's a case where CS's structure actually helps the pacing whereas SC's dragged the game down at times.

Abdiel

Just finished chapter 3 on my nightmare playthrough on ng+. It's been a breeze thus far because they don't up level the enemies, so you just rofl stomp your way through. I'm at 74 hours on the clock, even with accelerating my way through most story scenes (it's to the game's credit though, I do watch some normally just because they're so engaging and fun.

Not looking forward to how the final fights are on this mode though, might end up power grinding top level 70+.

Prelude.

I checked the US store and they still didn't put up the costumes, only those item packs, are they coming or not? Are they in the game already?

jackdoe

Just beat the game. The ending was great, but the final boss design was a load of horse shit on Hard.

One thing I loved about the end:
The sudden genre shift that occurred in the last hour of this game. It suddenly became a Gundam/Escaflowne mixture and it was glorious.
Very excited for the sequel.

Top Bottom