• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Just to confirm, recipes work differently that in Trails in the Sky? Bought and used all the available food and I still only have Omlette.
Can I only learn certain ones or am I missing a step?

Just to confirm, recipes work differently that in Trails in the Sky? Bought and used all the available food and I still only have Omlette.

Yeah, recipes work differently. You'll be given them by NPCs (sometimes just by talking to them, others by completing quests). You don't get any recipes from eating food in this game (which is a shame). Although that's balanced out by each recipe having four possible different results based on which characters do the cooking, which is pretty cool.

Xenoflare

Yep, you can get the recipes from the pawn shop if you missed them.

I missed two and they cost 1000 Mira each, Wasn't exactly cheap

Yeah, recipes work differently. You'll be given them by NPCs (sometimes just by talking to them, others by completing quests). You don't get any recipes from eating food in this game (which is a shame). Although that's balanced out by each recipe having four possible different results based on which characters do the cooking, which is pretty cool.

Yeah, to add all the foods you can buy are the same ones you can cook on your own. It makes buying food kinda pointless for the most part.

One thing I miss is that the shops will no longer show which ingredients are used in which recipes on the side of the screen. That always made stocking up on ingredients easy for me.

you need the recipe and use the recipe with different party memebers in order to get different results ... and then you talk to NPCS in order to get more recipes , repeat untill you've got all the meals.

CAM CLARKE is where the my opinion on the VA changed from OK to yeeeeeeees.

This is part of the only thing I don't like in this game. Way too much perverted stuff. I just laugh how they are outraged at the
nonchalant head patting
haha. Everything about Emma is about her breasts. If you study with her Rean cannot study because he's mesmerized by them.. When she climbs ladder Fie believes they are the roots of or her problem. And when you talk to NPCs they comment about their size.

That part makes some sense because Dumb Hormonal Teenagers. The other stuff isnt as real if you catch my drift.

Dio

Banned
Thoughts on the CSII logo, by the way? I looked closer and compared the Japanese with the XSEED logo:

R1OxWMs.jpg

I think there's a lot more 'deep red and gold' to the original logo compared to XSEED's but it's probably still not finalized. Who knows?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thoughts on the CSII logo, by the way? I looked closer and compared the Japanese with the XSEED logo:

R1OxWMs.jpg

I think there's a lot more 'deep red and gold' to the original logo compared to XSEED's but it's probably still not finalized. Who knows?
The deep red is perfect. It oozes Erebonian aesthetic and also accurately represents the military focused,
war-torn
feel they're probably going for in Cold Steel II. The full picture that they took the logo from is the perfect choice.

Edit: Oh wait, I totally misunderstood. The logo itself. Wow, I'm dumb. Both logos are great. XSeed's is brighter but still very "Erebonian."

R1OxWMs.jpg

I didn't even seen that English one for CS2 until now. Is that likely going to be the cover? Because it's hot

Dio

Banned
I didn't even seen that English one for CS2 until now. Is that likely going to be the cover? Because it's hot

It's the official art on XSEED'S twitter for Cold Steel 2 dropping in 2016. It might not be final, but it's the only logo they've shown.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I found this early artwork for Class VII, and it interestingly enough has a look very similar to the Sky trilogy's artwork. Same artist?

sen_early02.jpg

CrazyDude

Sad how low SC sales are on steam, it's only sold around 11000 compared to the over 100000 for FC. Has me worried how this game is doing and whether CS2 will be the last game we get out of the series.

Dio

Banned
I found this early artwork for Class VII, and it interestingly enough has a look very similar to the Sky trilogy's artwork. Same artist?

sen_early02.jpg

Well, Falcom has a ton of un-named internal artists. It might be, who knows? I personally don't think it looks like the same person's art.

The person who did all the ingame dialogue portraits of characters for Trails in the Sky remains unknown to this day.

Sad how low SC sales are on steam, it's only sold around 11000 compared to the over 100000 for FC. Has me worried how this game is doing and whether CS2 will be the last game we get out of the series.
Ugh there's a reason why I hate niche products. Nonetheless I <3 them :( even double dip on FC and SC on steam and psn.

Famassu

I'm not too worried yet. SC launched at a higher price than FC, didn't it? There's still a lot of potential for SC to sell a lot more copies with sales that push the price below 20$ (which should still generate a decent amount of profit for XSeed) and maybe even by bundling FC & SC together for an affordable price somewhere down the line.

The problem with SC is that not enough people who bought FC actually finished it, as you can see from achievement stats. But that's how Steam is. As more people finish FC and SCs price drops, it'll sell more. More awareness because of Cold Steel helps as well and don't forget that FC is also still selling decent amounts when it's on sale.

The problem is only that 3rd makes no sense unless a good number of people finished SC. But I wouldn't only look at SCs numbers and say everything is doomed.

The problem with SC is that not enough people who bought FC actually finished it, as you can see from achievement stats. But that's how Steam is. As more people finish FC and SCs price drops, it'll sell more. More awareness because of Cold Steel helps as well and don't forget that FC is also still selling decent amounts when it's on sale.

The problem is only that 3rd makes no sense unless a good number of people finished SC. But I wouldn't only look at SCs numbers and say everything is doomed.

The encouraging thing is that a fair amount of people are playing FC lately according to Steamspy (it has much more activity than SC). So there's some that it will have legs as those players finish the first game.

Xenoflare

Eventually it's going to be awkward for Cold steel, unless it's also getting a PC port. Since after TiTs 3rd Falcom moved away from PC.

Xenoflare

Well, Falcom has a ton of un-named internal artists. It might be, who knows? I personally don't think it looks like the same person's art.

The person who did all the ingame dialogue portraits of characters for Trails in the Sky remains unknown to this day.

I loved those portraits, IIRC there was a Chinese forum post that went into great length of finding the artist by deduction of the credits and narrowed it down to someone, but it isn't anything conclusive. These artists are internal staff of Falcom.

SolVanderlyn

Ahhhh this game is so good
Chapter 3

The Rean Alisha scene outside

Then shit getting fucking real
Chapters 3 and 5 are my favorites. They have
the nicest settings and the biggest shit gets real moments.
So far

jackal27

Banned
So I keep hearing folks compare this to Persona 4. How apt is that comparison? I love Persona 4, but I'm having a hard time slogging through Trails in the Sky's opening chapters. Boring.

So I keep hearing folks compare this to Persona 4. How apt is that comparison? I love Persona 4, but I'm having a hard time slogging through Trails in the Sky's opening chapters. Boring.

Well it has a school setting a like Persona and bonding events, it also gets going a bit faster then Sky did imo. If you don't like the lengthy dialogue Cold Steel is similar to Sky in terms of the slower pace.

And just stick with Sky, it's slow opening really pays off at the end

Xenoflare

?? CS2 is less meaty then CS1??

Don't get me wrong, shit still goes down in CS2, it's just not as lopsided as SC vs FC. Where SC contains the majority of the plot over the two games.

CS3 is a thing and I'm sure it's not like 3rd where fandisk-y, but I could be wrong

Don't get me wrong, shit still goes down in CS2, it's just not as lopsided as SC vs FC. Where SC contains the majority of the plot over the two games.

CS3 is a thing and I'm sure it's not like 3rd where fandisk-y, but I could be wrong

FC sets up world and characters with a smaller shit going down at the end to set up for SC where major shit goes downn

CS1 sets up world and characters with bigger amounts of shit going down and setting up for CS2 where shit that went down in CS1 continues to be resolved?

Dio

Banned
?? CS2 is less meaty then CS1??

He means in terms of content division.

Trails SC has the most text and content out of any of the Trails titles in the entire franchise (IIRC), while FC has one of the least.

Basically, SC has almost double the amount of text that FC has.

CS2 isn't double the amount of text of the first game, that's all.

I probably should ask this sooner but is it worth investing in new equipment for all your character every chapter? I'm looking at like +50 increased in STR for each new gear, but it's blowing a hole in my budget each time.

I can't cover the cost just by fighting monsters.

(Not to mention buying all those Master Quartz)

Xenoflare

He means in terms of content division.

Trails SC has the most text and content out of any of the Trails titles in the entire franchise (IIRC), while FC has one of the least.

Basically, SC has almost double the amount of text that FC has.

CS2 isn't double the amount of text of the first game, that's all.

Thanks, that's what I meant

Dresden

The deep red is perfect. It oozes Erebonian aesthetic and also accurately represents the military focused,
war-torn
feel they're probably going for in Cold Steel II. The full picture that they took the logo from is the perfect choice.

Edit: Oh wait, I totally misunderstood. The logo itself. Wow, I'm dumb. Both logos are great. XSeed's is brighter but still very "Erebonian."

For a moment I thought that was Sara in the back, and was happy. But it's just Emma.

Whew. Chapter 4 is proving to be quite the improvement over that mess of chapter 3

Or maybe im mixing it up

Whatever chapter puts you in the capitol

So glad they get rid of the school uniforms in the second game. Jusis and Laura look so good and perfect with their new outfits.

Man Elliot got screwed in terms of placement you can't even seen his face.

Whew. Chapter 4 is proving to be quite the improvement over that mess of chapter 3

Or maybe im mixing it up

Whatever chapter puts you in the capitol

Chapter 3 story wise is great, riding horses everywhere is zzz

Gu4n

From the looks of it, Cold Steel III is going to be this arc's SC, where everything goes down and answers (and more questions) will be provided. That means Cold Steel and its successor, and everything that is going down in these, are both setups for something even larger (I think?). Actually, III will be the conclusion to something the series has been explicitly building toward to since The 3rd.

Falcom, I expect a second Ao.

Finally got the opportunity to play it a bit more.
Carnelia books again? Oh God, the nightmare followed me home.
Best book series.

Dio

Banned
From the looks of it, Cold Steel III is going to be this arc's SC, where everything goes down and answers (and more questions) will be provided. That means Cold Steel and its successor, and everything that is going down in these, are both setups for something even larger (I think?). Actually, III will be the conclusion to something the series has been explicitly building toward to since The 3rd.

Falcom, I expect a second Ao.

Best book series.

They're in a weird situation now, though. Is it really going to be a PS3/Vita title like the others in this day and age? Is it going to be on PS4 and leave behind all the people who played on PS3/Vita? Will it be on all three platforms?

CSI chugs like hell on Vita, I can't imagine CSIII being any better (since they said they were doing a dramatic graphical upgrade for the third game)

Xeteh

CSI chugs like hell on Vita, I can't imagine CSIII being any better (since they said they were doing a dramatic graphical upgrade for the third game)

It runs poorly basically any time there's a busy background and several characters in the scene on the PS3 as well.

Dio

Banned
It runs poorly basically any time there's a busy background and several characters in the scene on the PS3 as well.
Yeah, I couldn't testify since I only own it on Vita.

I'm just curious where it's being announced. Ys 8 is PS4/Vita, maybe they're going to do that too.

They're in a weird situation now, though. Is it really going to be a PS3/Vita title like the others in this day and age? Is it going to be on PS4 and leave behind all the people who played on PS3/Vita? Will it be on all three platforms?

Why wouldn't be PS4/Vita like Ys 8?

Gu4n

We'll see. Whatever platform they go for, I'll be there. I'm more interested in whatever perspective on the story they're going to take.

Top Bottom