• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Busaiku

I thought we were supposed to win the fight against Laura's dad after going Super Saiyan, so I threw away a bunch of items...

The original scripts for Trails games in particular use a lot of laughter onomatopoeia. To some extent a lot of Japanese writing/media uses it (onomatopoeia in general fits in very easily to the phonetic nature of Japanese), but Trails uses it more heavily than most media I've seen, and more importantly uses a huge variety for its laughter. When I worked on SC, I tried to represent it as actual laughing sounds with similar variety ("haha!" for a short laugh, "ha-ha-ha!" for those drawn-out, occasionally forced laughs Olivier does, the classic "ehehe" for Tita at times, "hmmhmm!" or "hmm-hmm-hmm" for Schera's very distinct chuckle, et cetera) but that's far from the only way to skin the cat.

There's no "right" answer for how to represent that in writing, especially in the dialogue-box format used by Trails and other RPGs. It comes down to translator/editor preference in the end, and how well it reads will often be in the eye of the beholder.

Interesting, I had noticed this and the [*gasp*] , but I figured it was these being so funny. heh

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 5 down almost at the 60 hour mark

:X man I love this universe so much
I've never fallen in love with a universe so completely since Suikoden. It's super ambitious of Falcom to connect all of their recent Heroes games like this.

Shouta

The usage of laugh onomatopoeia in the script is for folks that play with the sound off or can't hear either, I assume.

BIG QUESTION regarding the event later in Chapter 6.
As I understand from the guide, the only way to get a private chat with a member of Class VII is from the following conditions-

1) Have MAX Link Level with them
2) Bonding Event on Chap 6 Free Day, or Bike Event, or Use Two Tickets

Both Alisa and Laura are Lv 5, and I intent to use the Bike Event and Two Tickets one them.

I spend my Free Day Bonding Event with Emma, Fie, Machias and Gaius. Of the four of them, Emma is 90% almost to Lv 5, Fie is 75%, Machias is 10% and Gaius is 30%.

I'm current still in the Free Day What I want to ask is are any big events that would give me a last burst of Link EXP left before the deadline? Fie I assume I'm going to get just enough from the Field Trip, but what about the others? Especially Emma who is just on the edge. I still have 3 tickets left I guess.
Don't think so...

You can use some of the tickets on them if needed each ticket is 300 exp.

Neoweee

It feels like the game eventually just gives up with regards to pacing and anime tropes/cliches, sometime during Chapter 3. I'm at the boss of the Old School in Chapter 5, so I will finish, but it has been a bit disappointing outside of the combat sections (Hard)

Finally started this tonight after buying it and then playing like 3 other games.

So which of these dudes or girls can I wife?

I also don't mind the design change from TiTS to this. They seem fine. Was never a huge fan of TiTS' designs.

Abdiel

Alright, just beat the old schoolhouse boss for Final Chapter on Nightmare (Rofl, Moebius Quartz with stacks of Zeram is just unfair... Instant refill everyone in a medium circle to 200CP? Sure!)

On my way to the final run... Ugh. Not looking forward to that part.

Also. Post Final chapter speculation.
With Crow revealed as an Awakener and a Knight of his own... Does it seem coincidental to anyone that his hair and eyes look *exactly* the same shade as Rean's does when he is in hyper mode, which seems to be tied to him being an Awakener? Does that mean that is a shared trait by those who are able to be awakeners? Or is just purely chance that Rean's eyes and hair turn to match Crow's, who has been an Awakener, as he says, for over 3 years, so long before he even came to Thors and anyone would have seen him in any other appearance? I'm wondering if this just pure speculation, or if it has some plot relevance in CS II.

God, please hurry up XSEED and give me CSII!

Ugh, 18 fish caught, thought I could keep going for #19 on the first festival day, and that would seem to be a nope. Locked out of two MQ :-(

Xenoflare

Ohhhhhkay, I hated Elise's voice in the Japanese version and I hate her just as much as she sounds in English, the dub is doing a great job being a little pretentious little b.

10/10 for Kira Buckland. 0/10 for the character

Edit: What's a good replacement for Jusis's Master Quartz? I like the ATS bonuses but the artes the master quartz has overlaps with the quartz that I use on him.

Zeta Oni

If I play the first playthrough on normal without any guides or anything like I planned, will I have any issues getting the platinum on a new game plus playthrough on nightmare?

Basically I wanna know if anything I miss out on like character details or recipes without using a guide can be completed in the new game plus mode in order to get the platinum.

Xenoflare

If I play the first playthrough on normal without any guides or anything like I planned, will I have any issues getting the platinum on a new game plus playthrough on nightmare?

Basically I wanna know if anything I miss out on like character details or recipes without using a guide can be completed in the new game plus mode in order to get the platinum.

Yes, you can finish your missed items on subsequent runs. In fact you actually cannot find all character infos in one run. Missed books and recipes can be purchased at the pawn shop.

I just started this game and really love it so far. Legends of Heroes didn't really grab me, but the battle system for this one is amazing. So far I am on chapter 1 :)

Baust

Holy wow, I've been trying to get the 5 Globby Fat for that sidequest in CH2, but I've still only got one.

Is this a rare drop or am I just unlucky?

Zeta Oni

Holy wow, I've been trying to get the 5 Globby Fat for that sidequest in CH2, but I've still only got one.

Is this a rare drop or am I just unlucky?

If it helps I mostly got them from that one type of enemy that surrounds that chapters boss request mission (pretty sure it looked like an ugly plant)

Finally started this tonight after buying it and then playing like 3 other games.

So which of these dudes or girls can I wife?

I also don't mind the design change from TiTS to this. They seem fine. Was never a huge fan of TiTS' designs.

All of Class VII, Crow, Towa and Sara. Is it actually waifu or husbando? Who knows? ;)

Abdiel

Just finished my nightmare playthrough.

It's a nice touch that who you spend the post dance with actually does talk directly to Rean in Valimar. I finished with Alisa the first time, and Laura the second. Laura's message was actually rather lovely. <3

I kind of power leveled Rean to level 78. Lol. I was around 150 wins shy of the trophy anyway, so I needed to do some grinding in the last dungeon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At the start of the chapter, I was questioning whether they'd ever eat food that wasn't the best ever.
Pretty sure that scene was extremely self aware.

There was also a scene in FC or SC where Mueller complains that Erebonian military food is terrible. Nice to see them carry that over.

All of Class VII, Crow, Towa and Sara. Is it actually waifu or husbando? Who knows? ;)

Excellent.

Also, please don't tell me that your free time is actually...timed. And that you have a limited time to do shit, so if I take forever doing a quest I won't be able to bond or quest and shit.

Nyoro SF

Finished partway through chapter 3 before the field study section.

Fie has a really good voice. The best out of all the girls in the game easy.
The game is still setting up undercurrents. I'm going to assume that
Tovah
is from the Crossbell series, given the references.
I have no idea what the beef is between Sara and
the maid.
And of course the mystery of
Emma, Fie, the cat and random ass magic spells
right now is inexplicable to me.

Droplet

Excellent.

Also, please don't tell me that your free time is actually...timed. And that you have a limited time to do shit, so if I take forever doing a quest I won't be able to bond or quest and shit.

What? Why would it be timed? Is there anything in the game that's timed?

edit: I mean, aside from...the obviously...timed things the point is that there might as well not be anything timed even if someone makes it sound like it is.

Gu4n

Excellent.

It's not. The game clearly indicates when time will pass. For example, when you enter the old schoolhouse to investigate, it states that it will move the time ahead from morning to noon.

Don't think so...

You can use some of the tickets on them if needed each ticket is 300 exp.

Damn, on edge here. I don't to fuck this up and have to worry about those characters even in the second playthrough @_@

Last night I spent an hour in the Floor 6 dungeon just to grind out that 5% for Emma lol to max Link Lv.

I think I've misunderstood something (Chapter 6 event conditions)-
So even that evening bonding event counts as one of the conditions right? If so then I'll sacrifice one of Milium's character notes to get a bonding event with Alisa, guaranteeing her private chat.

Then I'll take Laura out on the bike event. Emma is already guaranteed. And I'll spend the whole field trip linked up with Fie so she should be safe too.

That leaves me with the tickets. The trophy guide keep mentioning only 5 tickets, but the overall guide mentioned Towa giving you 6 tickets? I only need 2 per character to get the private chat right?

Xenoflare

It took me a long time to figure out that Machia's master Quartz is actually making him into a tank.

I'm a bit confused, his STR isn't that high and his EP is low. Is he solely a support character and ailment stacker?

Chapter 2

Finally, time to start these field study quests. Let's see

"Addicted to Bath Salts"

LMAO. I know what I'm starting first then!

Quick quest about chapter 5 in relation to ao/zero

Did the player meet Towa/Olivert/Osborne/Gideon in ao/zero or was there being at the trade conference thing retconned?

Gu4n

Quick quest about chapter 5 in relation to ao/zero

Did the player meet Towa/Olivert/Osborne/Gideon in ao/zero or was there being at the trade conference thing retconned?
Falcom hardly retcons anything in the series.
The West Zemuria Trading Conference is a major event in the first half of Ao and stars, among others, Olivert and Osborne. You meet Gideon as well, although I'm not sure whether he is mentioned by name or handle. You don't meet Towa, though.

Bladenic

Chapter 6 spoilers and speculation -

Please don't tell me Crow is C, given how obvious the setup with Crow leaving middle of the way through the dungeon. Plus I love Crow :(

Edit: never mind, apparently? Hmmm.

Also screw Falcom for that
"we all went to Ymir but you can't see it lolz

Gu4n

Ymir was probably intended to be part of Cold Steel I since there are still a number of references to (places in) Ymir in the game files, such as its chapel or adjacent highways.

Chapter 6 spoilers and speculation -

Please don't tell me Crow is C, given how obvious the setup with Crow leaving middle of the way through the dungeon. Plus I love Crow :(

Edit: never mind, apparently? Hmmm.

There's a drama CD of that scene.

Bladenic

So it's safe to guess that location shows is visited in CS2?

Anyway final chapter now, which master Quartz did you all pick first time? Looks to me that Thors would be more useful.

So it's safe to guess that location shows is visited in CS2?

Anyway final chapter now, which master Quartz did you all pick first time? Looks to me that Thors would be more useful.

I always thought it was weird how Rean
's parents never visited during the school festival or contact him at all throughout the game

Chapter 2

Finally, time to start these field study quests. Let's see

"Addicted to Bath Salts"

LMAO. I know what I'm starting first then!
LOL I thought the same haha

Top Bottom