• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

i like all gameplay improvements, combat, field maps etc. i started skipping generic npc dialogue. it's just too boring currently. FC/SC were better at this.

bomblord1

Banned
Chapter 5 SPOILERS

Seriously Screw that Nosferatu boss. His AOE attack that does a guaranteed Nightmare + all of his respawning minions doing the same is ridiculous I probably fought him 10 times and every time he would Nightmare lock my entire party in a few turns and then ide be dead. I finally ended up reloading an old save and equpping all of my party members with anti-nightmare items.

i like all gameplay improvements, combat, field maps etc. i started skipping generic npc dialogue. it's just too boring currently. FC/SC were better at this.

You're going to miss a ton of side stories and optional quests.

I just finished chapter 6 and had my first tough boss fight.
The one where you have to fight Vulcan and then fight C right afterward witht he archaisms. I really dislike the party I got shafted with and it was pretty challenging. Took me 2 tries.

I like a bunch of the side dialogue but sometimes the game can definitely get too wordy where the the characters are just being very verbose. Sometimes it feels natural and it's what I love about the series, the world breathes at its own pace. But it's hard to deny how verbose it is at times.

I feel npc dialogue at the school is more engaging then anything in fc/sc, but the field study towns not much happens

I find at least a few intersting people in every town
The kids that tease each other in the first one, Anton (!) in Ch2, and I find everyone in Ch3 very charming. But the school definitely has the best characters.

i talk to everyone, i just skip their blabla.

it's allright. whenever i see 30 people sitting in the cafeteria i'm just noping.

Oh for sure the generic male/female students are zzz but the majority of the named characters I always check in with and their arcs are very enjoyable

I find at least a few intersting people in every town
The kids that tease each other in the first one, Anton (!) in Ch2, and I find everyone in Ch3 very charming. But the school definitely has the best characters.

Yeah I'm not saying they're all terrible, they just feel a lot weaker especially compared to the school stuff or the fc/sc npcs.

Damn, on edge here. I don't to fuck this up and have to worry about those characters even in the second playthrough @_@

Last night I spent an hour in the Floor 6 dungeon just to grind out that 5% for Emma lol to max Link Lv.

I think I've misunderstood something (Chapter 6 event conditions)-
So even that evening bonding event counts as one of the conditions right? If so then I'll sacrifice one of Milium's character notes to get a bonding event with Alisa, guaranteeing her private chat.

Then I'll take Laura out on the bike event. Emma is already guaranteed. And I'll spend the whole field trip linked up with Fie so she should be safe too.

That leaves me with the tickets. The trophy guide keep mentioning only 5 tickets, but the overall guide mentioned Towa giving you 6 tickets? I only need 2 per character to get the private chat right?
You get 6 tickets but there are only 5 events and you can only do each event with a person once. If you are close you shouldn't need anymore then 2.

Even if you fuck it up in NG+ you can carry over link levels so all you have to end up worrying about is triggering each event. If you are trying to get all of them done then you may end up having to go through the final dungeon again, I had to do that for Sara but it only took me about 2 hours at most on Nightmare.

aravuus

I feel npc dialogue at the school is more engaging then anything in fc/sc, but the field study towns not much happens

Pretty much. The little stories all the students have are much more interesting than anything TiTS had to offer, but the field study villages are a bit boring.

Chapter 6 spoilers and speculation -

Please don't tell me Crow is C, given how obvious the setup with Crow leaving middle of the way through the dungeon. Plus I love Crow :(

Edit: never mind, apparently? Hmmm.

Also screw Falcom for that
"we all went to Ymir but you can't see it lolz

Hahahaha, I love that theory.

About the second spoiler:
it has a hot springs apparently; we ain't missing nuffin'.

Moonlight

Banned
Pretty much. The little stories all the students have are much more interesting than anything TiTS had to offer, but the field study villages are a bit boring.
I find myself oddly fascinated by the adventures of the shopaholic noble girl and her father.

Nyoro SF

Speculation (ch. 1-3): Are
the instructor(s) and staff tracking and wiretapping the students through their ARCUS units? Some of the "interceptions" and revelations are extraordinarily convenient.

Rather stupid question, given that usually games don't need a reason to have people be at the right place at the right time (or just so happen to know pertinent information), but after that event in chapter 2 it kind of bothered me so I thought I'd ask.

Also chapter 2 final battle I suffered my first character KO with Jusis since I started the game. Probably because Elliot wasn't in my party at the time lol.

I find myself oddly fascinated by the adventures of the shopaholic noble girl and her father.

Yes, field study NPCs are funny too, not as fun as some students though.
Probably the funniest NPC on campus is the pawn shop guy. Finally, a guy who gets mad when I talk to him. I hit him up after every event.

bomblord1

Banned
Speculation (ch. 1-3): Are
the instructor(s) and staff tracking and wiretapping the students through their ARCUS units? Some of the "interceptions" and revelations are extraordinarily convenient.

Rather stupid question, given that usually games don't need a reason to have people be at the right place at the right time (or just so happen to know pertinent information), but after that event in chapter 2 it kind of bothered me so I thought I'd ask.

Do you want to know the answer?

bomblord1

Banned
VERY tempting... ok, how about this. If it happens, give me the (spoilered) chapter number when the revelation happens. If my speculation is false, you can just say so.

Yes, that was a great one.

In chapter 5 the specific incident you refer to gets explained let's just put it that way.

I can see why people disliked Chapter 3 but I didn't mind it. And the payoff at the end! My reaction right now:

??????????????

and that's exactly how I like it. This world~ <3
Also the music in the chapter was incredible.

Nyoro SF

In chapter 5 the specific incident you refer to gets explained let's just put it that way.

I knew it! That part in chapter 2 was just way too convenient. That means that the
board of directors are definitely putting some real heavy value on these students, far beyond what is necessary. Aidios knows why.

aravuus

That, among many others. The mysterious dude looking for 'material', Margarita looking for love, commoners vs nobles in the chess club, that pervert girl trying to corrupt Maria with her books, Rex being a little creep, Jusis pissing off Paula, Alisa pissing off Ferris, Mint getting lost all the time and pissing off her uncle, Vivi pranking people etc etc etc.

I just love seeing them all live their lives. I never got into the rhythm of talking to everyone in TiTS cause, like I mentioned, I simply didn't find most of them very interesting at all, but now I understand the draw. Hope CS 2 (and 3) continue with this kind of stuff.

Psxphile

Thread is quite lively. Seems to get a new page every time I check.

Still slow, still in Chapter 3, heading for Field Study. Game froze while playing the first Blade match of the ride, lol (Alisa's face is stuck on surprise since I won the set). Luckily I saved before I had entered the train station but I had another opportunity to save before playing and I brushed it off, lol. That'll learn me.

You get 6 tickets but there are only 5 events and you can only do each event with a person once. If you are close you shouldn't need anymore then 2.

Even if you fuck it up in NG+ you can carry over link levels so all you have to end up worrying about is triggering each event. If you are trying to get all of them done then you may end up having to go through the final dungeon again, I had to do that for Sara but it only took me about 2 hours at most on Nightmare.

Spoiler for Character Trophies:

Well in NG+ assuming I've max link level for all the characters, I can get 5 characters from Bonding Events, 1 character from Bike Event, and 2 characters from using the tickets, so that's a total of 8 characters.

Ideally I would want to get 5 or 6 characters in my first run

Still slow, still in Chapter 3, heading for Field Study. Game froze while playing the first Blade match of the ride, lol (Alisa's face is stuck on surprise since I won the set). Luckily I saved before I had entered the train station but I had another opportunity to save before playing and I brushed it off, lol. That'll learn me.

You're slow? I've been playing for over a week and I'm approaching hours and I've only started chapter 2's field study lol. I can't stop talking to everyone.

I even got a random quest where
I had to pick up flowers for this girl in the art club, then her twin sister tricked me into somehow confessing my love with a grand rose. It was super weird.

Psxphile

You're slow? I've been playing for over a week and I'm approaching hours and I've only started chapter 2's field study lol. I can't stop talking to everyone.

Yeah. Started the week of release. I'd say that's pretty slow, considering a few others have already finished. And yes, it's because of the talking (and busy with work). But I played both TitS the same way. Actually, I play all of my RPGs that way, but games like Trails (and Persona) take it to a new level of obsessive compulsiveness, lol.

I even got a random quest where
I had to pick up flowers for this girl in the art club, then her twin sister tricked me into somehow confessing my love with a grand rose. It was super weird.

Her twin sister is a freaking awesome NPC to talk to. Do look forward to seeing her again

Busaiku

Huh, I thought the prologue would be the ending basically, to lead into the next game, but we've got a whole nother chapter, at least.

A.E Suggs

Got some of my persona lovin friends to buy this game. They wouldn't touch FC and SC however. Whoever said that the school setting would hurt the game was wrong, it helps it because of persona's school settings popularity.

Anyway I'm finally on chp 3 for ng +, so with a little more time that platinum should be mine I tell ya! MINE!

SC maybe, I was bored to tears of FC overall. SC helped only because things continued from FC which made talking to NPC's in SC better.

Got some of my persona lovin friends to buy this game. They wouldn't touch FC and SC however. Whoever said that the school setting would hurt the game was wrong, it helps it because of persona's school settings popularity.

Anyway I'm finally on chp 3 for ng +, so with a little more time that platinum should be mine I tell ya! MINE!

SC maybe, I was bored to tears of FC overall. SC helped only because things continued from FC which made talking to NPC's in SC better.

Yeah the school setting amost feels like a trojan horse to get people who went "ugh fc is slow/boring" past that. Combine with the fairly pointless flash forward opening it seems falcom is actively aware of the "slow" complaints and attempted to give players a game that starts fast and then is "acceptably slow" due to the school nature.

Same. I've had the game since release, but I'm really taking my time with it. The fact it's relatively episodic and on Vita makes it pretty easy for me to pick and play in short bursts. I'm really loving it though. I bought it on impulse and it's probably one of the nicest gaming surprises I've had recently.

Varion

LOL what's up witch ch6 ending/ch7 prologue? Did they run out of budget? It's so weird.
Most likely they ran out of time to finish Ymir and didn't want to delay the game into the next financial year. So they just did it as a drama CD and threw it into the limited edition, then left that section as a kind of 'you can listen to that CD now' reminder. It's not really a huge issue in the Japanese version because the drama CD isn't especially difficult to get a hold of (they stuck the script of it in the game's official artbook, too), but it is a little annoying in the western version because players have no such option.

So for those wanting info about Cold Steel 2's release they posted an update on facebook! Those who want to read it no spoilers what so ever.

https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1304114426280634:0

For those who don't want to read it (its not a long post)

Transation: 95% complete
Editing: 42% Complete (what an odd % lol)

They confirm they are on schedule and plan to begin recording in March (11000 lines to record) keeping the date simply at 2016 for now.

Looks like a very late summer or fall release being likely, god I hope I can wait that long.

Neoweee

So, Hard goes from a fairly normal/easy to a giant, game-sticking spike in the Old Schoolhouse of Chapter 5. I can't leave to buy gear, can I?

Thanks!

Neoweee

You can, time doesn't advance until the boss is defeated IIRC.

Oh, interesting. I thought the door only let you switch party members. Thanks!

Once I have a weapon or two that isn't crap, the boss is going to die a horrible death.

EDIT: Blech, the HP regen system hurts so much. Oh, fine, go ahead and take a bunch of sequential turns and regenerate your health right before you are about to die...

Is Chapter 5 a giant difficulty spike on Normal? This is the first boss where "AoE a few standard encounters and tweak your Quartz" isn't remotely enough.

EDIT EDIT: And dead. Damn, that dude was rough.

Oh, interesting. I thought the door only let you switch party members. Thanks!

Once I have a weapon or two that isn't crap, the boss is going to die a horrible death.

Yeah sadly the party disperses once you leave so you can't take Elliot to the store to make money :/

Finished Ch3 and the Free Day of Ch4
The game is getting REALLY difficult to put down

so many questions

while incredibly tropey, the part with the red door was one of the most exciting things I've played in a good while. so good

Literally last boss fight of the game, nearly down, hard freeze had to reset console.

As exciting as the sequence of events was, don't want to repeat >:-<

Erheller

Do we ever get to learn what happens to the other group when you go out on field studies? Sounds like some interesting things happened, especially in chapter 6
when the RMP mobilizes forces in both groups' locations

Bladenic

So for those wanting info about Cold Steel 2's release they posted an update on facebook! Those who want to read it no spoilers what so ever.

They confirm they are on schedule and plan to begin recording in March (11000 lines to record) keeping the date simply at 2016 for now.

Looks like a very late summer or fall release being likely, god I hope I can wait that long.

Sweet! I hope CS2 has more voiced dialogue too.

thats awesome to hear.

Do we ever get to learn what happens to the other group when you go out on field studies? Sounds like some interesting things happened, especially in chapter 6
when the RMP mobilizes forces in both groups' locations
nope beside what they mention.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's been a bit, but I remember CSII generally having more voice than the first game. At least it felt like it.
Does it still do the thing where Rean doesn't get voiced in conversations where everyone else is?

Ok, fast forwarded everything and pushed on through to finish. A few thoughts on end of game:

1. All that mech stuff was NOT where I was expecting the story to go. Pretty cool finish, although I felt the game spun its wheels a bit in the back third.
2. Really can't believe Crow was C. Someone suggested it in this thread and I laughed it off as absurd, but now I've got to eat, well, you know.
3. Hell of a cliff hanger. How does Class VII stand a chance against mecha-Crow, especially considering I had to weaken him twice before I beat him (only fight in game where I took this approach. Clearly full moon counter is not the way to go in this fight).

Ok, at least the wait for the sequel isn't going to be like that for TiTS 2, but probably at least 6 months I'm thinking :-(

Ok, fast forwarded everything and pushed on through to finish. A few thoughts on end of game:

3. Hell of a cliff hanger. How does Class VII stand a chance against mecha-Crow, especially considering I had to weaken him twice before I beat him (only fight in game where I took this approach. Clearly full moon counter is not the way to go in this fight).

Ok, at least the wait for the sequel isn't going to be like that for TiTS 2, but probably at least 6 months I'm thinking :-(

I expect
Crow to be a chill bro and either just have them captured or let them go after beating them badly.

At the end of the day, Crow isn't fundamentally an evil person. He's willing to sacrifice a lot of people, his friends included, but he's not prone to indiscriminate violence.

I expect
Crow to be a chill bro and either just have them captured or let them go after beating them badly.

At the end of the day, Crow isn't fundamentally an evil person. He's willing to sacrifice a lot of people, his friends included, but he's not prone to indiscriminate violence.

Good point. I can definitely see that occurring. Alternately
Emma does some Witch business to extricate everyone. Still didn't find out much about her. Didn't she promise to explain some things to everyone after the festival?

A.E Suggs

Yeah the school setting amost feels like a trojan horse to get people who went "ugh fc is slow/boring" past that. Combine with the fairly pointless flash forward opening it seems falcom is actively aware of the "slow" complaints and attempted to give players a game that starts fast and then is "acceptably slow" due to the school nature.

Yep seems that way. I had no real problem with SC being slow but FC was a drag from beginning to end that I almost didn't wanna finish it.

Anyway from what I've seen various places people end up losing to the school bosses more than the story one's no matter the difficulty. I don't see how people are losing to any boss on normal, cause on nightmare I've only lost to the chp 3 school boss. Also
the chp 4 Suicune looking boss was bullshit, but that's only because I didn't have my gear set right, kept getting put to sleep but I beat his ass without losing.

Top Bottom